ADVERTISEMENT

Does Cal win another title?

I actually think his contract extension this week makes it more likely he does. I wasnt sure he would stay beyond 7-8 years. If he really is here another 6-7 years I think it happens. Just one more. Thats all I want! Is that too much to ask?

I doubt if Cal can unring the bell at this point. Will those 70-150 kids believe they won't be recruited over? I doubt it. I already said I think it would be best if we took 2-3 oads per year, the rest is a foundation for the future.

It doesn't matter though. Too much of our fan base is infatuated with oads so it will never stop while Cal is here. That is why I have repeatedly said Cal won't win another title.

I love Cal but he fell in love with being able to recruit and endless string of top 20 kids. Now he can't stop.

I know how intelligent you are, so I am not sure why you are dismissing one big issue.

Look at the idiots here that hate Cal and the players for losing a title game or for going undefeated and being upset in the FF, etc.

And you want to recruit a year with 2-3 OADS and 3 kids who are not very good?

You think its hard playing 5-6 great kids and you want to cut that to 3 great ones and 3 bad ones?

That season will suck. The next year you recruit a couple more OAD's and 3 sucky kids and still have 3 sucky kids with one year of experience...

Cal gets these OAD's to play with other great kids, not crappy ones in hopes that in 4 years they might become good players, and the OADS are just fine helping build a "foundation" and not winning. The OAD's will not be very impressed with that strategy.

There is no appeasing this fanbase and there is no perfect solution. You always recruit the best talent you can.

I know how intelligent you are, so I am not sure why you are dismissing one big issue.

Look at the idiots here that hate Cal and the players for losing a title game or for going undefeated and being upset in the FF, etc.

You think its hard playing 5-6 great kids and you want to cut that to 3 great ones and 3 bad ones?

That season will suck. The next year you recruit a couple more OAD's and 3 sucky kids and still have 3 sucky kids with one year of experience...

Cal gets these OAD's to play with other great kids, not crappy ones in hopes that in 4 years they might become good players, and the OADS are just fine helping build a "foundation" and not winning. The OAD's will not be very impressed with that strategy.

There is no appeasing this fanbase and there is no perfect solution. You always recruit the best talent you can.
Well, first, I don't make the assumption that they "suck". I realize the position it would put us in though. That's why I said Cal can't change now. We are in for a penny, in for a pound. I will root for them every year and hope I'm wrong every year. There is nothing I can do other than that. But I will voice my position now and then.

Who knows? We could get hot and win four in one decade like Uconn. Someone on here said they thought the Wisky game took a lot out of Cal. I don't know, but it took a lot out of me.

Reactions: JerseyCat84
What an arrogant jackass you are being. It's funny. I haven't posted anything out if emotion your highness. I've said the same thing for years. As for your challenge, we haven't recruited in a way to test my theory so your statement is moot.
No, but 348 other teams in the country are doing everything in their power to win with some combination of experience and raw talent - some get closer to your model than others (Kansas, Arizona, UCLA, Ohio State, Florida under Donovan, Memphis, Texas under Barnes, Washington, etc) but exactly zero of them have the results that Cal has had.

Your argument about the four F4 teams being senior-laden... imagine you have 350 riflemen aiming at a target 100 meters away. Two are marine snipers and 348 are Jimbo and his buddies from out by the creek pulling out the old 30-06 from the shed. Now, to be fair to you, I'll throw out about 200 of those, because their rifles are old and crusty (bottom feeder conferences and the weaker mid-majors who don't have a hope of making the tourney).

They open fire, and using a video camera shooting at 40k fps, you track the trajectory of the 150 bullets that are firing from guns that don't totally suck, and after 8 rounds of this, you realize that the snipers are essentially always in the bulls-eye, and are never more than an inch or two away from dead center. But given the blanket of fire that occurs every round, more often than not, there are somewhere from 1-8 bullets closer to the very middle than your two snipers. Regardless, 3 of the 8 times, one of your snipers was closest to the center, and one of them is virtually always among the very tightest grouping of four in the middle.

BigBlueFanGA's conclusion? Damn - those snipers had better change it up. Wouldn't want my life in their hands.

And why am I being a jackass? Do you do entrust your money with irrational people?

Well, first, I don't make the assumption that they "suck". I realize the position it would put us in though. That's why I said Cal can't change now. We are in for a penny, in for a pound. I will root for them every year and hope I'm wrong every year. There is nothing I can do other than that. But I will voice my position now and then.

Suck is a relative term depending on the comparison - how good was the Top 20 player you said no to for the Top 125 kid...

I'm never against you voicing your opinion, as you always debate as a gentleman with me.

Can you ignore it this time, Zay?

2>1

I'll take K's 2 titles over Cal's 1 every single day. The Final Fours, Elite 8's and all the other excuses don't mean a thing to me. Getting so close so many times only to lose just makes it worst.

We are the Buffalo Bills of the NCAA except we lucked into atleast 1 title.

Reactions: TnRustyCAT
No, but 348 other teams in the country are doing everything in their power to win with some combination of experience and raw talent - some get closer to your model than others (Kansas, Arizona, UCLA, Florida under Donovan, Memphis, Texas under Barnes, Washington, etc) but exactly zero of them have the results that Cal has had.

Your argument about the four F4 teams being senior-laden... imagine you have 350 riflemen aiming at a target 100 meters away. Two are marine snipers and 348 are Jimbo and his buddies from out by the creek pulling out the old 30-06 from the shed. Now, to be fair to you, I'll throw out about 200 of those, because their rifles are old and crusty (bottom feeder conferences and the weaker mid-majors who don't have a hope of making the tourney).

They open fire, and using a video camera shooting at 40k fps, you track the trajectory of the 150 bullets that are firing from guns that don't totally suck, and after 8 rounds of this, you realize that the snipers are essentially always in the bulls-eye, and are never more than an inch or two away from dead center. But given the blanket of fire that occurs every round, more often than not, there are somewhere from 1-8 bullets closer to the very middle than your two snipers. Regardless, 3 of the 8 times, one of your snipers was closest to the center, and one of them is virtually always among the very tightest grouping of four in the middle.

BigBlueFanGA's conclusion? Damn - those snipers had better change it up. Wouldn't want my life in their hands.

And why am I being a jackass? Do you do entrust your money with irrational people?
After that post you call me irrational?

The FIVE STAR O & D PLAYED NO BETTER THAN WILLIS, OR MULDER, WELL MAYBE THE LATER?? :popcorn:

I agree, I see no difference in Derek vs Fox (39 vs UCLA), Monk (47 vs UNC), (Bam double -double)...

One of the few posters who is glad that UMM is here to take the spotlight...

Reactions: jrc333
I know he's going to keep putting teams on the floor who can do it, and I know he's going to keep getting put in the toughest region every year, and I know we're at least not going to be bowing out to any double digit seeds or mid majors

Reactions: brianpoe
Suck is a relative term depending on the comparison - how good was the Top 20 player you said no to for the Top 125 kid...

I'm never against you voicing your opinion, as you always debate as a gentleman with me.
I can't give you specific examples and I don't want to take the time to research it. I think you know there is some validity to my approach though.

2>1

I'll take K's 2 titles over Cal's 1 every single day. The Final Fours, Elite 8's and all the other excuses don't mean a thing to me. Getting so close so many times only to lose just makes it worst.

1. Worst?

2. We are the exact same as another team that has never won a championship, except we have...

I take it you haven't stopped drinking even though the game is over...?

The logic of the discussion and where it's gone for the 95+ years without a title, is flawed.
images

2>1

So one of the best 4-5 runs in history does not satisfy you because the arguable greatest coach got 2 titles out of a similar situation. Okay.

In that case, you'd genuinely be a happier fan under Izzo, going to a final four every 5 years with more four year players? If not Izzo, then who?

Yes--and if you keep putting your program in position--eventually the ball falls your way/calls go your way, etc....just gotta keep fighting and that's Cal's specialty. I actually think it could be the '19 season due a lot of the incoming class needing to stay 2-3 years and if you get right incoming players--but who knows--maybe they surprise everyone or get a good draw (yeah right--that was disgusting to put UK, UNC, and UCLA in same region--absolutely AWFUL)

Reactions: Aike and brianpoe
Nope, still disagree.

We need find a way to keep the ones who have no business leaving early, this would be the optimal approach for me.
Again this comes from subtlety changing slightly some recruiting. He tried it with Booker but he blew up too soon. Maybe SKJ or Hump will stay enough.

Even if he doesn't make them leave he sure as hell isnt trying to get them to return. I'm absolutely sick of watching 18 year olds get rich off our backs and we get shit in return.

Only at UK does the entire team think about leaving every year. UNC, Duke, KU and so on usually keep lotto picks for more than a year and up to 3-4 years in some cases while it's never even a question about our guys and we even lose guys who aren't even sure 1st rounders. It's absolutely bullshit.

I usually disagree with everything you say because it's pretty obvious you aren't a fan of Cal and take every opportunity to bash him, but I do agree about the fact that year after year, on top of the obvious lottery picks who leave, we lose the guys who have no business leaving as well. Gabriel will be the perfect example of that this year. I'm sure he'll test the waters and drag it out, but it just seems like wearing the Kentucky jersey automatically improves a kids draft stock and he leaves when we all know he'll be in the d-league 4 months later. It just doesn't make sense. The mentality seems to be that they've failed if they have to return to school for another year. With that in mind, I love Calipari and don't want any other coach here, I just wish some dudes who aren't obvious lottery picks would stick around a little longer.

Reactions: Blouman

I think the best answer to this problem is convincing at least 1 of the kids to stay another year every year.

Reactions: brianpoe
It seems as if a lot of fans don't understand just how hard it is to win the title. Dean Smith only won two and one was by pure luck. Bob Knight won three and he was at IU forever. Both of these coaches also had failures with their some of their best teams and sometimes it takes some luck to even be in position to win. Cal will win another title, just a matter of time.

Nope, still disagree.

We need find a way to keep the ones who have no business leaving early, this would be the optimal approach for me.
Granted but that will never happen. Cal sells the quick trip. One way or another, we have to have some experienced talent even if it isn't top 20 talent.

I think the best answer to this problem is convincing at least 1 of the kids to stay another year every year.

Dakari would have been big for last year's squad.

Booker was a surprise on the level of Bledsoe - i'd have tried to keep both but it would have obviously been the wrong decision.

Teague, Lamb, Twins, Briscoe?

No need for 4 year kids if these types stay until they are draft ready.

Reactions: BigBlueCatNation
Would be interesting and ironic--Cal's NINTH season at UK, chance to play in Nashville and Atlanta before San Antonio--sight of UK winning #7 20 years earlier? Why not!
Got more size in the class coming in. Other than Bam we weren't that big
this season.

Dakari would have been big for last year's squad.

Booker was a surprise on the level of Bledsoe - i'd have tried to keep both but it would have obviously been the wrong decision.

Teague, Lamb, Twins, Briscoe?

No need for 4 year kids if these types stay until they are draft ready.

Agreed and that's where the problem lies. These are the type of kids that need to stay around for awhile.

Truth be told, only Bam and Fox are really ready for the draft. Every other player needs another year of school, including Monk.

Agreed and that's where the problem lies. These are the type of kids that need to stay around for awhile.

Truth be told, only Bam and Fox are really ready for the draft. Every other player needs another year of school, including Monk.

Monk can fix his issues with the daily work on the NBA level much easier than another college season. He has the "it" factor.

Briscoe, Hump, Wenyen - no reason whatsoever for them to consider leaving.

ADVERTISEMENT