ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo Entering Draft... Not hiring agent

You don't have to agree with it but you can be respectful. Grown men bemoaning college kids trying to make money at 19 are silly. Any of us would have took a lot of money at that age or now to play a game. I'm not directing this at op but in general. Rafttards loving up to reputation tonight.

At risk of sounding like an own-horn-tooter, I'll just say at least a couple of us saw this coming from the very beginning:

I've changed my mind after hearing him in an interview recently talking about whether he plays or bolts to the NBA would depend on what "is best" for his family. He stated very simply that he would do what was best for his family. In most cases, that means money now. I don't think we ever see him in a game.

I was thinking similarly. Based on his comments, I wouldn't be shocked if we end up never seeing Diallo in a UK uniform.

His main priority plainly seems to be getting the money to his family asap (which is cool with me), and taking a UK offer is a damn good way to solidify his stock, and sitting out the rest of the season ensures nothing bad will happen to make his stock drop.

IF he can be a first rounder this year (which I'm not sure of?), he could be gone before we ever see him take the court.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
I have always felt that he should've been utilized. He was on the team, on scholarship, healthy, and had way too much talent to just let sit and he couldve really helped us especially in that UNC game. Would I go so far to say it cost us a title? No, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of that.

All the "he's not up to speed, he's not ready, team already has chemistry established" comments were essentially all smoke and mirrors and those that believed it were extremely gullible or just have never played the game. The kid was absolutely ready to be used probably after the first week or even less imo.

But gut feeling says he plays for UK next year.

Last edited:
Skipped pages 12-22. None of this really matters.

My additional thoughts though are these:

Brian asked what was Cal supposed to do? Whatever he wants I guess, but Cal is in the power position.

So either Cal was doing this mainly for Diallo with a gamble he might play next year or maybe Cal knows he WON"T be draftable but is still playing the game with his comments.

From where I sit, Cal could have told him I'll take you but if you're good enough to play, I'm going to play you. Where else could Diallo have gone that would have given him the opportunity he got at UK? Nowhere.

So Cal didn't HAVE to take the #1 SG as Brian purported. Cal surely knew all the angles on this one and I'm sure he figures he did the right thing. It's all good, but I did get sick of reading the need to get feedback on his game. The only feedback he's looking for is, is he first round this year.

Skipped pages 12-22. None of this really matters.

My additional thoughts though are these:

Brian asked what was Cal supposed to do? Whatever he wants I guess, but Cal is in the power position.

So either Cal was doing this mainly for Diallo with a gamble he might play next year or maybe Cal knows he WON"T be draftable but is still playing the game with his comments.

From where I sit, Cal could have told him I'll take you but if you're good enough to play, I'm going to play you. Where else could Diallo have gone that would have given him the opportunity he got at UK? Nowhere.

So Cal didn't HAVE to take the #1 SG as Brian purported. Cal surely knew all the angles on this one and I'm sure he figures he did the right thing. It's all good, but I did get sick of reading the need to get feedback on his game. The only feedback he's looking for is, is he first round this year.

Obviously Cal thinks much differently than every other coach out there and I do believe he figured Diallo was worth the gamble. For me as a fan and 99 percent of other coaches, the mindset is well he's on scholarship so he needs to effing play or you dont take him, but I'm not Cal and no other coach out there is either and that's a good thing.

Cal' s angle is most likely this...

Roll the dice on the chance Diallo plays next year and if he doesn't, Cal's "players first" "doing right by these kids and their families" goodwill reputation gets another notch in the belt that will payoff somewhere else down the road in the recruiting trail.

Last edited:
I hate the one and done, loved it when we as fans got use to the players we had for 3 or 4 yrs, Givens,Robey, Lee, Grevey, Macy, Phillips,and so fourth, didn't like Coach Hall's coaching the slow down ball but he was Ky first, Can't stand Pinito but when he was at Ky. was a good recuiter and Coach and i really like Tubby, as for Cal. best recuiter but can't Coach a lick and he's for the players first, not Ky.

If Diallo does return, I want all of you crying asses to eat your serving of crow. If he does return will you all, and you all know whom you are, cheer for him? I'm guessing yes. We all knew this was a possibility when he came here. Him being on the team helped him and I'm sure helped fox and monk and the other guards as well. If Cal did not take him last year we probably wouldn't even had a chance for him this year. Then there starts another thread of bitching because Cal didn't take one of the top guards in his class. We had an open scholarship and it was used. This is the exact opposite of the Stokes ordeal and people complained then as well. Morons

Great take. I'll let you know when I'm done building my time machine so I can send you back to the early 70s.

Reactions: HoldMyBeer
I have been reading through this thread dying laughing. Well played by both parties in this comeback fest. I applaud the efforts of both teams.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Put me in the camp that if he can get in the first round I don't blame him at all for leaving. The coaching staff and players shouldn't care about the fan base's opinions on this matter.

This is all moot anyway because he's not leaving unless he is okay with being a second rounder.

I enjoyed the rotary phone and cassettes. Nothing beat firing up the ole AOL disk.

But, the world evolved and so did I.

Apparently (as So I've read on this site), IF Diallo stays in the draft, and Bamba goes elsewhere we are in big trouble. You see we might hobble into Big Blue Madness with ONLY a MEASLY 7 five star rated recruits on the roster . PATHETIC! **spits saliva on the ground emphatically in disgust**

Has any team EVER even made the NCAA tourney with only 7 top rated players? I doubt it! Heard Cals backup plan is to start a damn 4 star player in Diallo's place! SAD! This is UNACCEPTABLE dang it!

This is year 9 for Cal and he's already got us settling on 4 star players, HELL, I thought he'd be bringing in 6 star players by now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Shoot, here I am thinking we bout to get our PLATOON on AGAIN but come to find out we bout to be 'slumming it'. Poor Brad Calipari, he's REALLY gonna have to EARN them tattoos this year. Hope he's been wearing out that elliptical cuz he's gonna need to play 30+ minutes a game.

So my question to my bbn brothers, Does Western Kentucky University have any cool hashtags I need to get hip to since we all are gonna be Hill topper fans now? Know any consignment shops I can trade all this loser UK gear for some topper attire? Go Big Red!

Last edited:
Someone should have held your beer while you typed that. I'm not outragedy at all. I've been saying he will do this for months. I don't agree with risk/benefit analysis though. I thought it was pretty obvious what he would do so there was previous little reward to be had from my perspective. There is almost no chance that he comes back but you can cling to that hope for a few more weeks I guess.
What are you basing this on? If he's a first rounder sure, but i don't think anyone who would actually know is as confident about that as you seem to be.

We get so upset over something that hasn't happened. And if it does happen, we shouldn't get mad over a kid following his dream. You can't get mad over a player we never had. We are setting ourselves up for a fall. If Diallo is as GOOD as all of you say he is then they should just go ahead and mail us the trophy now. So if he does come back and we don't win it all then some people are going to be highly disappointed. You can't get mad over Diallo using our gym to practice in against some top ranked players can you? You can't get mad over our players practicing against a top ranked player can you?? Our players had to get better for it. You may get mad that we didn't play him some last year,but do you take a chance and upset the chemistry of the team in mid season?? So all in all there is nothing to get upset about. With or without Mr Diallo, Cal will put a young but good team on the floor next year. If he opts to the NBA Cal has helped another kid reach his dream. And we have another player to go on the list with Dirk Nowitzki, Shawn Kemp, and Daryl Dawkins. Players who committed but never played for UK.

I hate the one and done, loved it when we as fans got use to the players we had for 3 or 4 yrs, Givens,Robey, Lee, Grevey, Macy, Phillips,and so fourth, didn't like Coach Hall's coaching the slow down ball but he was Ky first, Can't stand Pinito but when he was at Ky. was a good recuiter and Coach and i really like Tubby, as for Cal. best recuiter but can't Coach a lick and he's for the players first, not Ky.
Can't coach a lick? Just when I think I've heard the stupidest thing possible, you come along. Good job. [roll]

I'm not mad at Diallo or about him either. But hell, if people want to get pissed off and complain on here then that's part of what this board exists for as long as the complaints make any sense and aren't trolling.

Reactions: etowncatfan
All speculation on your part.

And please don't tell me how I feel or can't feel. It's possible to be happy but show some discontent with the way things are working right now. But honestly I have spent less time following/supporting over last few years. For example, I don't bother looking at box scores anymore, couldn't care less about the player stats. And I don't listen to the coaches show Monday nights or the pre-game show on the radio like I used to every week and game. Just not as enjoyable.
You're just proving what he said.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Apparently (as So I've read on this site), IF Diallo stays in the draft, and Bamba goes elsewhere we are in big trouble. You see we might hobble into Big Blue Madness with ONLY a MEASLY 7 five star rated recruits on the roster . PATHETIC! **spits saliva on the ground emphatically in disgust**

Has any team EVER even made the NCAA tourney with only 7 top rated players? I doubt it! Heard Cals backup plan is to start a damn 4 star player in Diallo's place! SAD! This is UNACCEPTABLE dang it!

This is year 9 for Cal and he's already got us settling on 4 star players, HELL, I thought he'd be bringing in 6 star players by now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Shoot, here I am thinking we bout to get our PLATOON on AGAIN but come to find out we bout to be 'slumming it'. Poor Brad Calipari, he's REALLY gonna have to EARN them tattoos this year. Hope he's been wearing out that elliptical cuz he's gonna need to play 30+ minutes a game.

So my question to my bbn brothers, Does Western Kentucky University have any cool hashtags I need to get hip to since we all are gonna be Hill topper fans now? Know any consignment shops I can trade all this loser UK gear for some topper attire? Go Big Red!
We don't need trolls today

Don't feed him. He's trolling again or he wouldn't have started a thread just for this.

“Me and Coach have spoken. I came here with a certain plan, so the biggest thing for me is sticking to that plan,” Diallo said in his first meeting with Kentucky media on Friday. “This semester is preparing me for next year. It’s been hard to do, but it’s a plan that I had well thought about before coming, so this is a plan that I think is best for me to stick to.”

Though he was careful not to say WHERE he planned on playing next year, just that this half a season was preparing him for next year.

This is great but A) it's open for interpretation and B) none of his actions have shown that he's swayed away from this.

There are people in this thread insinuating that he's betraying Cal or UK or something. Using them, maybe, but Cal handed the kid a scholarship and put him on the team, so like many other things, it takes two to tango.

for anyone doing the "I want players who want to come to Kentucky for the name on the front"

they come for the name on the front because of what the name of the coach can do for them.

if Diallo goes pro, that only reinforces why we get these kids. A Coach K, A Roy Williams, probably a Tom Izzo, would read a kid like Diallo the riot act if he were to do this.

That's why we continually get the kids we get. Some fans may not like it, but you can't argue the results.

Tell me a fan that would have turned down a coach who came in said my system will get us to multiple final fours, 2 title games and win a national championship, we'll do it legally, the kids will go to class and will get good grades.

Any fan that says he would have said no is a liar.

Please clarify, if you can.

Otherwise, your post is a trolling drive-by.
Bpoe, don't pay any attention to idiots like this. This board has become a forum for name calling and derogatory remarks if one doesn't agree with certain opinions.

Figured he'd be gone from the beginning, but this goes one of two ways if he leaves:

1) it makes no difference and we keep chugging along

2) OR if someone didn't come because of him, then he was a waste of time

We will never know

Reactions: dckala2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT