ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley

TOMCATS1990

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2019
I talked with my Brother in law last week at my Daughters graduation party. He told me that he had called Dan after winning the Title to congratulate him and they ended up going out for lunch a few weeks later. I asked him if he thought Dan would be interested in the UK job if CAL hangs it up. He told me he had asked Dan that exact question and he said it’s KY and of course would be interested.

I talked with my Brother in law last week at my Daughters graduation party. He told me that he had called Dan after winning the Title to congratulate him and they ended up going out for lunch a few weeks later. I asked him if he thought Dan would be interested in the UK job if CAL hangs it up. He told me he had asked Dan that exact question and he said it’s KY and of course would be interested.
He would be interested to use the UK job as leverage for a raise. I can’t imagine a title winning Hurley would ever leave UCOnn for UK. UCOnn is his backyard basically

LefOA0M.png

Uconn has 5 the past 24 years. Calhoun won 3 in 12 years.

Uk has 4 titles in 65 years. People act like calipari winning 1 is some new thing. Hall, pitino and Smith all 1 and done as well.
Calhoun was a dang good coach. Cal getting out coached by Kevin Ollie was inexcusable for one of those titles. Rick Pitino would have won more than one title had he stayed longer. One of the biggest coaching mistakes I’ve ever seen. He had it all and look at him now.

Uk has 4 titles in 65 years. People act like calipari winning 1 is some new thing. Hall, pitino and Smith all 1 and done as well.
Yep, winning only a single title, while having 45 NBA players (and counting) on your rosters, is a record which will never be broken. No one has ever, and no one will never do less with more talent than Couch Cal...

Ehh, I not doubting you but why would he leave UConn when you can win there and he just won a title

The Calicultists will arrive soon to say that Hurley wouldn't leave UConn for UK. To them, UK is a trash program and not the type that a coach at UConn would want to go to. They'll also argue that we should just be grateful that we have a coach who hasn't turned us into Indiana yet.

To them, there is no UK standard.

Calipari has been here almost twice as long a Pitino when it comes to non-probationary years. Hall was basically forced out due to the pressure. You make it seem like one title is tolerable. It's not. It's why Hall went bye-bye.

Calipari has been here almost twice as long a Pitino when it comes to non-probationary years. Hall was basically forced out due to the pressure. You make it seem like one title is tolerable. It's not. It's why Hall went bye-bye.
It was a hell of a lot harder to even make the tournament when Joe B had the reigns.

The NCAA tournament only had 16 teams from 1951 thru 1974, 32 teams from 1975 thru 1978, 40 teams in 1979, 48 teams from 1980 thru 1982, 1983 and 1984 both featured 50 teams and in 1985, his last year, it expanded to a 64 team field.

Just think how many tourneys Couch Cal misses in those scenarios.

History of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

The Calicultists will arrive soon to say that Hurley wouldn't leave UConn for UK. To them, UK is a trash program and not the type that a coach at UConn would want to go to. They'll also argue that we should just be grateful that we have a coach who hasn't turned us into Indiana yet.

To them, there is no UK standard.
Why would a coach who just won a title at a school who is becoming a power leave

He would be a heck of a hire.
Would it? I mean, his team was a 4 seed this year. Had an amazing run in the tournament and Hurley def deserves a ton of credit for that, but his first four years at Uconn before his title, he missed the tourney twice, and didn't even make it the other 2 years. I would want to see a tad more from him to consider it a home run hire.

Would it? I mean, his team was a 4 seed this year. Had an amazing run in the tournament and Hurley def deserves a ton of credit for that, but his first four years at Uconn before his title, he missed the tourney twice, and didn't even make it the other 2 years. I would want to see a tad more from him to consider it a home run hire.
UConn was horrible when he took that job. Kevin Ollie left him in a tough situation.

Was Bobby Petrino eating with them?

Why would a coach who just won a title at a school who is becoming a power leave
Maybe you should ask Self when he left Illinois, Williams when he left Kansas, or Calipari when he left Memphis.

And I'm not buying the "well, it's different because Hurley won it all." You think if Cal wins it all at Memphis, or Williams at KU, or Self at Illinois, that they're still not boarding a plane and taking the better job?

💯. And, on a personal level, Joe B was a great man who was as beloved by fans as any figure in UK history. Fans were frustrated with recent NCAAT results, but, still loved him. He was UK/Kentucky to the core. But, he wasn’t winning at a high enough level, anymore, & was forced out. It had/has nothing to do with personal feelings for a particular coach.

But, Joe B still did a lot more on the court in his last 5 years than Calipari has in his 5 most recent seasons. We struggled during Hall’s final regular season (1985) against a very difficult schedule. But, from 1980-1984 we never fell out of the top 15 over that 5 year stretch & stayed in the top 5-10 for the vast majority of that time. Still wasn’t good enough, but, still far better than our current 5 year run.

In his last 3 seasons Joe B had an E8, FF & a S16. Calipari’s last 3 seasons have included our worst season ever (9-16), followed by our worst loss ever & topped off with yet another underachieving loss to Kansas freaking State, this time in the 2nd round. And, FTR, Calipari HAS been here twice as long as Pitino’s NCAAT eligible years. RP’s teams were eligible for 6 NCAATs & Calipari is about to enter his 15th season, so, it’s actually 2.5 times as long as Pitino.

Last edited:
Maybe you should ask Self when he left Illinois, Williams when he left Kansas, or Calipari when he left Memphis.

And I'm not buying the "well, it's different because Hurley won it all." You think if Cal wins it all at Memphis, or Williams at KU, or Self at Illinois, that they're still not boarding a plane and taking the better job?
It wasn’t at you it was more at the first person who posted this, but I can’t see Hurley leaving UConn now, maybe 5 years from now but he seems to be a coach that will have UConn consistent now which is scary

Hopefully we get the chance to try. I’m afraid Cal will get another lifetime deal after 2028, and we will miss out on the good younger coaches.

Calhoun was a dang good coach. Cal getting out coached by Kevin Ollie was inexcusable for one of those titles. Rick Pitino would have won more than one title had he stayed longer. One of the biggest coaching mistakes I’ve ever seen. He had it all and look at him now.

While I tend to agree (re: Pitino) what we've seen happen under Cal does make me at least question in Rick would have won more. I don't think he wins in '98 like Tubby did. Rick also showed eventually that he was capable of making horrific decisions (what he did at Louisville).

I don't think many would have correctly predicted what has happened with Cal after say, 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT