ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Lots happening today....

- Hiked 2 miles this morning.

- Installed new Spectrum modem. Download speed doubled over WiFi from 100 mbps to 230 mbps. Upload speed only 17 mbps, which actually slowed somewhat.

- Took pup to vet for blood test. She's well. Feisty as ever.

- Picked up new 50" TV from Best Buy. Plan on installing sometime next week.

- Just received uncle's death certificate in afternoon mail from Jacksonville, FL. Talk about fast! Filling out Western & Southern life insurance policy claim tomorrow.

- Watched TeamUSA lose earlier this morning. Caught most of Big XII championship game. Watching LSU-UGA right now.

Whew! I'm pooped. Hope y'all enjoying this evening.

4Ttvsl4BbNbYAhJy2PBTSwmTr1ygJWFAy67-EEkytjo7ibtkGUTeAfawkrGE1ia7GWkT9noQ_U8j2thtqE8f6TWjN1uc9ufepYH9XR1jEc-yl3BJEB7ejfHZ4xnx0ABO=s0-d-e1-ft

Good Sunday Morning

A very nice day is ahead of us with 57° now and sunny skies all day long. The high will be 79° with no rain in sight. If we were in Key Largo it would be a nice day to dive down and touch the statute near the coral reef in John PennyKamp State Park. The colors down there are fantastic.

I trust all have a great day

maxresdefault.jpg

I can't link on this device, but for Warrior, there's a story on Fox that a dog who looks like a Great Pyrenees killed 8 coyote who attacked his sheep. The dog was seriously hurt but survived.
Yeah, they are pretty tough dogs and very protective. Ours are mixed breeds and babied though so who knows how they would respond. My monster is a mix between two flock guardians. She has the Anatolian Shepherd size, color, and look with Pyrenees hair and tail.

Recently while walking her, we have encountered a Chihuahua and on a different day a Jack Russel Terrier. The Chihuahua got away from its owner and was nipping at her heels. Anatolia just looked back for a moment and then kept going. The Jack Russel Terrier came from the front and had its hackles up and yapping at her. Anatolia just stood her ground as we stopped to let its owner get a hold of it. She did not seem worried about it either.

So far, I have seen very little aggressiveness from her. She has on occasion showed it when chewing a bone and one of my other dogs came near but, that is about it.

Game time in London is 1 PM EST. England plays Senegal at 2 PM in the World Cup. Bad scheduling.
This game today makes zero sense to me. College basketball in London, England on a Sunday afternoon during the World Cup Series. The biggest event of the year for English Television. So who will be attending the game?

What kind of financial return are they expecting. It certainly is not going to make any more money than a game at Rupp or in Michigan. These teams should be home and home not wasted on the English who when they see UK think United Kingdom.

Yeah, they are pretty tough dogs and very protective. Ours are mixed breeds and babied though so who knows how they would respond. My monster is a mix between two flock guardians. She has the Anatolian Shepherd size, color, and look with Pyrenees hair and tail.

Recently while walking her, we have encountered a Chihuahua and on a different day a Jack Russel Terrier. The Chihuahua got away from its owner and was nipping at her heels. Anatolia just looked back for a moment and then kept going. The Jack Russel Terrier came from the front and had its hackles up and yapping at her. Anatolia just stood her ground as we stopped to let its owner get a hold of it. She did not seem worried about it either.

So far, I have seen very little aggressiveness from her. She has on occasion showed it when chewing a bone and one of my other dogs came near but, that is about it.
Yeah, I used to walk Maddie a lot. She was a 75 pound boxer, stronger than 100 pound German Shepards I was around. A little dog could get away with pretty much anything around her and she'd just look at them like "that's so cute".

There's a story about boxers with a lot of truth in it. When God made dogs, He saved boxers for last because they were the most beautiful, but they were vain. Boxer ran to see himself in the mirror. He was running so fast, he couldn't stop in time and smashed his nose on the mirror before the clay was dry. As punishment, God left his nose smashed in. Little dogs saw his beauty and strength and admired him, so boxer treated them well. Big dogs were jealous of his beauty and mocked his nose, so boxer would fight them in a minute.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 53°F and cloudy. Today's high expected around 61°F. Meh. We'll take it.

First awoke at 4:05 am this morning, but said screw it and decided to sleep in. Plan on taking a walk and grocery shop before today's game. Go Cats!

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Dec-4-Cookie-Day-e1448915873405.jpg

Good morning all...

I should be well enough to go to work tomorrow....have an MRI at the DC VA in the morning at 8. I will get there around 7. (Traffic difference so I am not late.)

Go CATS with Ye Ole Bean Cal....we shall hopefully see some team basketball with some attitude mixed in ....

This game today makes zero sense to me. College basketball in London, England on a Sunday afternoon during the World Cup Series. The biggest event of the year for English Television. So who will be attending the game?

What kind of financial return are they expecting. It certainly is not going to make any more money than a game at Rupp or in Michigan. These teams should be home and home not wasted on the English who when they see UK think United Kingdom.
The English will be as invested in this game as Americans would be for a Cricket game during a Kentucky game.

Not to mention NFL.

Reading about both today, GP is 3X size of coyote. So now I can see how dogs can take them down & out.
Raccoons are pretty dangerous for dogs to mess with, but one got in a fenced in backyard. Maddie and three other dogs were chasing it, so it fled. As it reached the top of a six foot fence. Maddie jumped and grabbed it by the back of the neck. It was dead by the time Maddie hit the ground.

Raccoons are pretty dangerous for dogs to mess with, but one got in a fenced in backyard. Maddie and three other dogs were chasing it, so it fled. As it reached the top of a six foot fence. Maddie jumped and grabbed it by the back of the neck. It was dead by the time Maddie hit the ground.
I know from experience coons make dangerous "pets". if there is such a thing. I had an insurance case involving a 5 year old boy who was playing in Crest Lake Park with his mother and siblings. A young lady had a pet raccoon on a lease walking in the park, when suddenly the raccoon got loose and went straight for the little boy and nailed him between the legs, castrating him on the spot.

The Homeowner had a $25,000 liability policy ( this was in 1970 ) and the insurance company immediately offered the parents of the child the policy limits. Under Florida law a case involving a minor had to go before a court and judge under a proceeding called a "friendly suit". The only issue was how to handle the money in the best interest of the child. When the judge heard the case he went ballistic. The judge told all of the attorneys they could not get any proceeds from the policy limits and the money had to be set up as a structured settlement to most benefit the little boy. I remember one balked at first but agreed when the judge took him into chambers. The homeowner was still responsible for additional damages and that went back and forth for years but the insurance proceeds went immediately into a structured settlement for the young child.

It has been 50 years but it still hurts thinking about it.

I know from experience coons make dangerous "pets". if there is such a thing. I had an insurance case involving a 5 year old boy who was playing in Crest Lake Park with his mother and siblings. A young lady had a pet raccoon on a lease walking in the park, when suddenly the raccoon got loose and went straight for the little boy and nailed him between the legs, castrating him on the spot.

The Homeowner had a $25,000 liability policy ( this was in 1970 ) and the insurance company immediately offered the parents of the child the policy limits. Under Florida law a case involving a minor had to go before a court and judge under a proceeding called a "friendly suit". The only issue was how to handle the money in the best interest of the child. When the judge heard the case he went ballistic. The judge told all of the attorneys they could not get any proceeds from the policy limits and the money had to be set up as a structured settlement to most benefit the little boy. I remember one balked at first but agreed when the judge took him into chambers. The homeowner was still responsible for additional damages and that went back and forth for years but the insurance proceeds went immediately into a structured settlement for the young child.

It has been 50 years but it still hurts thinking about it.
Generally coons are nocturnal as they prefer to stay away from people and dogs. Usually if a coon approaches a human, something is wrong with it, perhaps rabid.

Finished my workout, walked the monster, and the other Pyrenees mix before coming back into the house. When I left out my wife was still asleep. When I came back in, she was drinking coffee and ask me what time we were going to the store. Confused/puzzled I ask, "what store?" She said, "Sam's, didn't we talk about this last night?" I said "no". Her next response was, "we were going to talk about it." I told her if she wants to go, she better be ready by 0945 because it takes us 30 minutes to get to Sam's here and another 30 back. Plus, when she gets in, she never goes by her list, and we spend close to an hour every time we go, and I told her the game starts at 1200. She says, " What game?" I could have choked her.

Anyways, Whew, that was close. IT'S GAME DAY!

Game-day.gif

I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this story with Kentucky ties. A movie loosely about it comes out in February 2023.

41102 - Early in my career I wrote a story about Andrew Thornton -- the ex-Lexington police officer who died in a drug smuggling operation in which he parachuted out of a small plane, letting it fly on to crash on its own. He miscalculated and hit the ground before his emergency chute opened on a ridge above Knoxville. The cocaine blocks scattered through the woods. Later, the story emerged that a bear had found one of the cocaine blocks and eaten it. I believe the movie is based on that.

I spent time in Lexington and Knoxville and interviewed many people who knew Thornton. My sense is that only the tip of the iceberg on this story ever became public.

I can't figure out a way to post my story (in the unlikely event anyone would want to see this old article, post an email and Ill send it) but this link will give you some more of the basics.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT