ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Finished my workout, walked the monster, and the other Pyrenees mix before coming back into the house. When I left out my wife was still asleep. When I came back in, she was drinking coffee and ask me what time we were going to the store. Confused/puzzled I ask, "what store?" She said, "Sam's, didn't we talk about this last night?" I said "no". Her next response was, "we were going to talk about it." I told her if she wants to go, she better be ready by 0945 because it takes us 30 minutes to get to Sam's here and another 30 back. Plus, when she gets in, she never goes by her list, and we spend close to an hour every time we go, and I told her the game starts at 1200. She says, " What game?" I could have choked her.

Anyways, Whew, that was close. IT'S GAME DAY!

Game-day.gif
Jan loves Costco, so we do a monthly trip. 2 hours one way, but their shepherd's pie and pumpkin pie almost make it worthwhile. We try and do a business delivery in the area when possible to help ease the trip.

Here's another coyote attack:

"A coyote ambushed a California family's 2-year-old daughter outside their Los Angeles home Friday, dragging her across the lawn before her father charged at the animal and scared it away."

41102 - Early in my career I wrote a story about Andrew Thornton -- the ex-Lexington police officer who died in a drug smuggling operation in which he parachuted out of a small plane, letting it fly on to crash on its own. He miscalculated and hit the ground before his emergency chute opened on a ridge above Knoxville. The cocaine blocks scattered through the woods. Later, the story emerged that a bear had found one of the cocaine blocks and eaten it. I believe the movie is based on that.

I spent time in Lexington and Knoxville and interviewed many people who knew Thornton. My sense is that only the tip of the iceberg on this story ever became public.

I can't figure out a way to post my story (in the unlikely event anyone would want to see this old article, post an email and Ill send it) but this link will give you some more of the basics.
Thanks for the info Mdwildcat. I had never heard of this story until I saw the article on the movie.

Here's another coyote attack:

"A coyote ambushed a California family's 2-year-old daughter outside their Los Angeles home Friday, dragging her across the lawn before her father charged at the animal and scared it away."

I live in a housing area that has open land all around it. I live across from a large field which has a lot of cows. We can hear coyotes every night. The local farmers pay a few local dog owners who have these large kennel trucks with 8-10 dogs (mostly Pyrenees and Anatolian Shepherds) to protect their livestock. I figure that this is why we have so many Pyrenees mixes here. I have three mixes myself. 2 are big (95lbs and 120lbs) and one is about 70lbs. When we got the monster, she was about 4 months old. During the first visit to the vet, she (the vet) said that because of her Anatolian Shepherd background we needed to make sure she was socialized because they are powerful and if not socialized could be dangerous.

A year later during the yearly checkup the vet came in cautiously and got on the floor to give her the check (too heavy to put on the table) and Anatolia walked over to her and just flopped in her lap. The vet then said, "She is just a big ole baby" It's true, she is very easy going. So far, she is afraid of nothing though.

I live in a housing area that has open land all around it. I live across from a large field which has a lot of cows. We can hear coyotes every night. The local farmers pay a few local dog owners who have these large kennel trucks with 8-10 dogs (mostly Pyrenees and Anatolian Shepherds) to protect their livestock. I figure that this is why we have so many Pyrenees mixes here. I have three mixes myself. 2 are big (95lbs and 120lbs) and one is about 70lbs. When we got the monster, she was about 4 months old. During the first visit to the vet, she (the vet) said that because of her Anatolian Shepherd background we needed to make sure she was socialized because they are powerful and if not socialized could be dangerous.

A year later during the yearly checkup the vet came in cautiously and got on the floor to give her the check (too heavy to put on the table) and Anatolia walked over to her and just flopped in her lap. The vet then said, "She is just a big ole baby" It's true, she is very easy going. So far, she is afraid of nothing though.

Brudder Sir, and I say this with all sincerity.... I'd hate to have your dog food bill.

Ya got a gofundme going on......yet? 😁

A much needed win over a Power 5. I'll take it. Cats hung in there. Good job.
It was bad.

UK hit 10 of 20 from the free throw line. Geeze in high school we would not see the floor if we could not hit 50%. Wheeler was 2 of 6. Holy shit.

I hope that this team wins it all but I don't see them being good. Sorry.

Good rebounding, good assists but turnovers and free throw shooting really hurt them.

In high school, at the end of practice, we had to shoot free throws. When you are dragging your ass you have to go to the line. Apparently UK never has to do this sort of shit. That in practice makes you concentrate and hit the freebies.

It shows. Wallace missed the front end of a one plus one to put Michigan State away in regulation. Then his missed a free throw in the first over time to cost the game in the second over time.

You can coach against crap like that, but Cal apparently does not understand how important free throws are.

I am proud of this win, but I don't think that Michigan is a very good team. I hope that I am wrong but I have no confidence in this team or it's leadership.

It may be a long winter.

Brudder Sir, and I say this with all sincerity.... I'd hate to have your dog food bill.

There is a colony of feral cats that lives in the area of our shop that Jan feeds. Must be 15 or 20 of them. If one is sick or hurt, she takes it to the vet. I was supposed to meet a customer there this morning and I found 3 pit bull mixes snooping around. I was a bit concerned about their reaction, but I got a couple of big sticks and made enough noise to chase them off.

I keep around four 50lb bags of Purina Dow Chow Beef and Chicken in the garage. As soon as one is emptied into a large bin to scoop out daily, my next run to the store I buy a new one.

We have 4 dogs with the smallest one being a pit mix at about 60 lbs. We will be down to 3 in the not-too-distant future since our 95lb Pyrenees mix is old (12 years old in January) and does not get around as well as she used to.

Last edited:
41102 - Early in my career I wrote a story about Andrew Thornton -- the ex-Lexington police officer who died in a drug smuggling operation in which he parachuted out of a small plane, letting it fly on to crash on its own. He miscalculated and hit the ground before his emergency chute opened on a ridge above Knoxville. The cocaine blocks scattered through the woods. Later, the story emerged that a bear had found one of the cocaine blocks and eaten it. I believe the movie is based on that.

I spent time in Lexington and Knoxville and interviewed many people who knew Thornton. My sense is that only the tip of the iceberg on this story ever became public.

I can't figure out a way to post my story (in the unlikely event anyone would want to see this old article, post an email and Ill send it) but this link will give you some more of the basics.
A great read on the subject, Thornton not the bear, is The Bluegrass Conspiracy by Sally Denton. Surprising information included about many well-known Kentuckians and not in a good way, IF it's legit. Entertaining book.

It was bad.

UK hit 10 of 20 from the free throw line. Geeze in high school we would not see the floor if we could not hit 50%. Wheeler was 2 of 6. Holy shit.

Good rebounding, good assists but turnovers and free throw shooting really hurt them.

In high school, at the end of practice, we had to shoot free throws. When you are dragging your ass you have to go to the line. Apparently UK never has to do this sort of shit. That in practice makes you concentrate and hit the freebies.

It shows. Wallace missed the front end of a one plus one to put Michigan State away in regulation. Then his missed a free throw in the first over time to cost the game in the second over time.

You can coach against crap like that, but Cal apparently does not understand how important free throws are.

I am proud of this win, but I don't think that Michigan is a very good team. I hope that I am wrong but I have no confidence in this team or it's leadership.

It may be a long winter.

Sir,
I WISH I could argue with you in this instance, I do...the thing is there is no excuse for leaving 50% of your points at the free-throw line. That is inexcusable. No team UK plays will leave 50% at the line. NONE, NADA, NO TEAM....

Anyone can say whatever they want but if a team cannot play the fundamentals of the game the COACH is at fault for allowing it. Haven't even started in on other parts of the game. This is a given...

It was bad.

It may be a long winter.
Sir,
I WISH I could argue with you in this instance, I do...the thing is there is no excuse for leaving 50% of your points at the free-throw line. That is inexcusable. No team UK plays will leave 50% at the line. NONE, NADA, NO TEAM....

Anyone can say whatever they want but if a team cannot play the fundamentals of the game the COACH is at fault for allowing it. Haven't even started in on other parts of the game. This is a given...
Cats FT shooting horrifies me. Agreed. Inexcusable.

Bengals are an enigma. It is hard to understand how they can beat teams that are difficult and then lose to those should easily beat. I.E. the Rams. they should have dispatched the Rams last year in the Super Bowl.
Bengals have had bad luck in Super Bowls -0-3 with two losses to Joe Montana and one against a Rams team that was pretty loaded with talent. The thing is, the Bengals could be 3-0 in those games with a handful of breaks.

But I ain’t giving up. This could be the year!

Bengals are an enigma. It is hard to understand how they can beat teams that are difficult and then lose to those should easily beat. I.E. the Rams. they should have dispatched the Rams last year in the Super Bowl.
Early in season their OL hadn't played together & Burrow still coming back from appendix removal. Much more jelled & JB healthier. And #1 back from a 4 weeks vacation. 6 wins in last 7. Should go at least 3-2 rest of way & probably better.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 57°F and cloudy. Today's high may reach 74°F. We caught drizzle and sprinkles for much of yesterday. Very much needed. Current fog advisory in effect.

Cowboys scored 33 points in 4th quarter last night, obliterated Colts. Wow.

Rematch of last season's Citrus Bowl coming to year's Music City Bowl. Ha ha.

Another weekend in the books. Monday, Monday...

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

National-Sacher-Torte-Day-December-5.jpg

Bengals have had bad luck in Super Bowls -0-3 with two losses to Joe Montana and one against a Rams team that was pretty loaded with talent. The thing is, the Bengals could be 3-0 in those games with a handful of breaks.

But I ain’t giving up. This could be the year!
My Minnesota Vikings are 0-4 in Super Bowls. I know the feeling. I don give up either. Maybe this will be the year.

Getting ready to go on a group hike at Mount Rogers, Va. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Not to bothered by the game yesterday. Good game despite the Free Throws. We're hitting near 70% for the year. Cal does need to address the late game FT. But it may only make it worse. Lance Ware is our worst, followed by Wallace which is scary.

@warrior-cat loved the little bear pic. If only I could figure out how to post pics. ;)

Good morning D-League.

Happy with the sports weekend - Cats win was a step in right direction and Bengals won a huge game for their chances. Also, AD scored 55 last night for Lakers. Nice to see him succeeding.

Today promises to be a grind -lots of work to get finished before my surgery next week, a pile of preparation for that, and I need to get some shopping (online) done before they cut me —I hear there is a lot of PT in the days after so I don’t want a lot of chores back up.

Hope it’s a good day for everyone.

Good Morning D League

60° with foggy skies and partly cloudy. The fog should life within the next hour or so. High of 76° at 3:00 PM and a 3% chance of rain.

I have a full session of workouts this morning as I build up my stamina once more. Then I must take some "care packages" to the post office to send my grandson away to college and my granddaughter at the Academy. I have some of their favorite treats and want them to get them in time for final exams and before Christmas break. He takes the MCAT early next year and will spend most of his Christmas break preparing for that, I am sure.

I trust all have a good week ahead and MdWildcat55 that is smart of you to try to be prepared as possible for your surgery and recovery time. I went through two major surgeries almost back to back a few years ago and tried to be as prepared as possible but you still are never 100% ready for the trauma and recovery time. Prayers your way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT