ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

four-peaks-mountains-arizona-reed-rahn.jpg
Great photo. Trying to figure where Saguaro Cacti & snow-covered mountains might be together. Sonora Mexico?

@Bert Higginbotha : Listened to Goose and Tom Leach on tonight's call over SECN+ I really loved it. They merged the radio broadcast with SECN stream. Brought back the old days. Enjoyed Goose's reflections from the time Derrick Ramsey played basketball for our Wildcats.
It had an old-time sound and feel to it the way they called the game.

Tom Leach and Goose Givens on the SEC+ call.

Just loving this.

It's nice having good announcers for a change.

Cats up 61-25 at the half.

Love this radio-SECN call. Hope for more such calls during "SECN" games. I really respect Goose' insight. He was part of that magical year with Fran Curci and JoeB.

@Bert Higginbotha : Listened to Goose and Tom Leach on tonight's call over SECN+ I really loved it. They merged the radio broadcast with SECN stream. Brought back the old days. Enjoyed Goose's reflections from the time Derrick Ramsey played basketball for our Wildcats.
It was wonderful. Also with out the commercials and them staying at the game made it feel like being there and getting to watch the cheerleaders and dancers do their thing.

Wonderful experience with a true play by play announcer and color man who did not go into a diatribe about how great Duke or Kansas is or was or is going to be.

It was wonderful. Also with out the commercials and them staying at the game made it feel like being there and getting to watch the cheerleaders and dancers do their thing.

Wonderful experience with a true play by play announcer and color man who did not go into a diatribe about how great Duke or Kansas is or was or is going to be.
You know Goose, if I'm not mistaken. TOO AWESOME!

Or how good the ice cream was and that I did not get any and how is your family etc... all while the game was being played. Many announcers these days give their life stories and how great some players are that are not even on the teams they are supposed to be commenting on.

Yes, tonight's announcer were so much better.

Good to see the Cats pouring in some points. I wasn’t worried after the last exhibition and I’m not too overhyped about tonight, but it is more fun to watch scoring.

Now the World Series. Can the Phillies get to Verlander? He’s cruising right now.

Watching him face Bryce Harper reminds me of how much fun it was to watch Harper bat from good seats in the Nationals park. He swings like I imagine young Mickey Mantle did.

Good to see the Cats pouring in some points. I wasn’t worried after the last exhibition and I’m not too overhyped about tonight, but it is more fun to watch scoring.

Now the World Series. Can the Phillies get to Verlander? He’s cruising right now.

Watching him face Bryce Harper reminds me of how much fun it was to watch Harper bat from good seats in the Nationals park. He swings like I imagine young Mickey Mantle did.
Go Astros!

Any of you have dreams where you were yelling and fighting but don't remember it? It has happened to me a few times before and apparently again last night. Both my wife and daughter just told me I did last night. I was apparently fighting and yelling so much that I had the dogs scared and my daughter came running out of the computer room. I fell asleep on the couch in the living room with the dogs and my daughter was still up around midnight when it happened. My wife came out of the bedroom to wake me up and said she did, but I just went back to sleep. I don't remember any of it.

Must have been a good one. Wife says that I am sleeping in the bed tonight, so I don't scare the mutts again. Oh, and by the way, the monster now weighs almost 120lbs. She should be close to her max weight because she was a year and a half old 20 September and her mix breeds reach maturity between 1 1/2 to 2 years. She is the bigger one of the two picture below. The smaller one weighs 95lbs.

imagejpeg-0-3.jpg

Any of you have dreams where you were yelling and fighting but don't remember it? It has happened to me a few times before and apparently again last night. Both my wife and daughter just told me I did last night. I was apparently fighting and yelling so much that I had the dogs scared and my daughter came running out of the computer room. I fell asleep on the couch in the living room with the dogs and my daughter was still up around midnight when it happened. My wife came out of the bedroom to wake me up and said she did, but I just went back to sleep. I don't remember any of it.

Must have been a good one. Wife says that I am sleeping in the bed tonight, so I don't scare the mutts again. Oh, and by the way, the monster now weighs almost 120lbs. She should be close to her max weight because she was a year and a half old 20 September and her mix breeds reach maturity between 1 1/2 to 2 years. She is the bigger one of the two picture below. The smaller one weighs 95lbs.

imagejpeg-0-3.jpg
Yes, now and then, but I usually remember the dream.

Thanks. A "little" intro so you all know a little about who you're dealing with.

Lived in Lexington as a kid, moved out on a farm at 11 and graduated HS there and then graduated from UK.

Got a job in SE KY so off to the mountains. Blessed to meet a great young lady and have stayed in the mountains for over 35 years now.

No kids so was able to retire fairly early 3 years ago and love it.

Interests- All things outdoors, hunting, fishing, hiking, kayaking, etc; traveling, eating and cooking, and UK sports. My wife shares all the interests except the sports.

My usernames are always some kind of combination of my pet's names and my old unit number.

So now you all know just about everything. ;)
Welcome to the "D" here in the Paddock

The-Paddock.jpg

I frequent1st table left of the Jungle have a seat anytime.

Jerry Lee came from a large family of talented piano players. We all know about Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggart. But a couple of more were not quite as famous. Jerry Lee learned "boogie woogie" cords from an older cousin, Carl McVoy and he had another talented piano playing cousin who was a Church of God minister. He never went into "show business" as it was known in the church. He was dedicated to the ministry and pastored small churches in Louisiana all of his adult life.

Carl McVoy did record some music. Here is one, recorded in 1958 at Sun Records, Memphis on Sam Phillips label. He owned Sun Records. When I listen to the beginning it takes me back to my childhood in a church service. Sister Vesta Kearce, our church pianist, started about every hymn with that boogie woogie chord. She also taught piano and some of her famous students were J.D. Sumer and his nephew Donnie Sumner. Both played and sang with Elvis.

You can also pick up "sounds of Jerry Lee" and styles in this recording. Carl McVoy, oldest cousin of Jerry Lee who taught him to play boogie woogie, piano.

And Linda Gail

It is a cloudy 55.0°F on our way to 71°. We have a 20% chance of rain. I hope we get all 20.

Thursday nights basketball game is another one on SEC+. I hate that. We have two more scheduled and it appears that all of the run over games are going to be on the streaming service instead of going to ESPN News. I still hate it.
I too thouhgt the broadcast was great!
Bear.... I saw some serious bear tracking back when I was working near Bernheim forest years ago. A customer had a catfish pond that he was commercially raising catfish and a bear got into and ate like 400 pounds of catfish. I have never had a run-in with a bear itself.. or is it themself? ;) (I liked Ole Yogi though...)

Always wanted to try some bear meat. I like deer meat but have to get a lot of the wild out of it or mix it with sausage or something like that. (May be an acquired taste but I ate my share years ago.)

I do hope you get your limit.
Green chili Black bear burrito's I had ere tasty.
Great photo. Trying to figure where Saguaro Cacti & snow-covered mountains might be together. Sonora Mexico?
Superstition wilderness east of Horseville after a winter storm, vegetation a Sonoran desert upland/Interior chaparral interface
four-peaks-mountains-arizona-reed-rahn.jpg
snow-capped-four-peaks-above-phoenix-distance-rare-chilly-day-arizona-168308718.jpg

Last edited:
Quick trivia question for the baseball fans:The Yankees have by far the most World Championships with 27. They also have the Second Most series losses with 13.

What franchise has the most series losses? Answer in the am. I’m heading to bed.
Just a guess, but Philly/Oakland Athletics?

Good morning from ATX. Currently 73°F and cloudy. Rain chances increasing by noon. Possibility for thunderstorms tonight. Today's high topping out around 83°F.

Even short-staffed, Cats looked good last night. Season begins Monday. Go Cats!

Astros pulled off a W last night. I like their chances for winning another World Series.

Happy Friday, y'all.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

national-candy-Day-PA.jpg

Good morning D-League. Cold and dark in the east.

Looks like a tough hill to climb for the Phillies now to win two in Houston. Dusty Baker appears to be on the doorstep of his breakthrough win.
On the other hand, if he would somehow lose these next two games, would anybody in history ever have put together a string of losses in “win and celebrate” games? Seems impossible.

As for baseball trivia, the Dodgers —Brooklyn and LA —have the most World Series losses. They are 7-14 in the Big Event. That surprised me a little.

Hope it’s a good day for all.

Last edited:
Good morning,

The current temperature is 62° and the high will reach 83°. We will have lots of sunshine and a dry day. The sun has not come up and looking outside there must be a million stars in the sky. It is amazing when the sky looks like at night when you get out of urban lights. It is a whole different world.

I trust all have a nice day

bca7bef3ef436d5402123f423bba0c17.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

Little rain coming down with 70° now and a high of 71° predicted. More rain expected with a possibility of storms throughout the day.

Normal workout and some house cleaning scheduled for this morning then, nothing. Today will be a day of sloth. With the rain expected, napping should be the order of rest the day. Maybe a movie or two in there somewhere.

Be safe folks and God Bless.

They were able to merge that because of a local guy that has been doing some incredible work. The King of Stream (Bill Warfield) has been doing his thing with PrepSpin for over a decade. May be close to 15 yrs now. Does high school sports, but has done an incredible job at every opportunity.

Wish I could get a copy of the game. Wasn't able to record it.

Last edited:
Good morning D-League!

Nice to see the Cats were having a little fun and taking the brakes off a bit. Have to enjoy that whenever we can because we never know what Cal will do to a team later that will make them tight and tentative.

I was working while the game was on. Oh well. Was a time when I wouldn't miss a minute of a game a little over 6 yrs ago I think.

Sorry Austin.... I'm well past caring whether Baker wins anything. He so poorly managed the pitching staff with the Cubs in the playoffs, and then the Reds, and then.... that I'm over it. I guess the Astros have a bullpen that not even the magical Dusty Baker can screw up. (I'm bitter about his time with the Cubs. Does it show?)

I just remember screaming at my TV for him to pull the pitcher because he's getting his pitches up, and Dusty not listening to me as the game slipped away in just a few at bats. He could never tell when a pitcher was done. As a hitter, it was easy to spot, but for some reason he had a blind spot there.

I wish I could JUST remember him as a player.

The Dodgers... maybe it was me, but I despised the arrogant Yankees and their arrogant fans as a kid, so I was always cheering for the Dodgers. I appreciated the Yankees players, but their behavior during games was very unsportsmanlike.

What I wouldn't have given back in the day to have Goose and Tom's call merged with the stream. So many games with the sound off because of annoying announcers talking about or promoting themselves or some other team ALL GAME. Nance and Vitale are the worst, but not the only drifters/grifters.

I liked Raftery and ... and.... nm.

Still miss Keith Jackson calling college football... those were the days... last in a line of great announcers back to when it was an art form and ADDED to the game because it didn't distract you FROM IT.

Back to what's important! Hope yall have a great day and an even better weeks end! Still low 70s here so plenty a gettin done goin on! May God Bless the D-League!

Morning Legionnaires!

Little rain coming down with 70° now and a high of 71° predicted. More rain expected with a possibility of storms throughout the day.

Normal workout and some house cleaning scheduled for this morning then, nothing. Today will be a day of sloth. With the rain expected, napping should be the order of rest the day. Maybe a movie or two in there somewhere.

Be safe folks and God Bless.
Good morning everyone. I sure enjoyed the game last night. Ahh, the early season when everything seems great and visions of #9 dance in our heads.

Warrior- I have been a planner my entire life and especially during my career. After retirement I struggled with days I didn't have anything planned. So now a day like today gets labeled DOL (Day of Leisure-planned). We may go to town for a little shopping and run some errands and that's about it. Tomorrow is a DOF (Day of Football). lol This retirement gig is pretty nice...with a little planning.

Good morning D-League. Cold and dark in the east.

Looks like a tough hill to climb for the Phillies now to win two in Houston. Dusty Baker appears to be on the doorstep of his breakthrough win.
On the other hand, if he would somehow lose these next two games, would anybody in history ever have put together a string of losses in “win and celebrate” games? Seems impossible.

As for baseball trivia, the Dodgers —Brooklyn and LA —have the most World Series losses. They are 7-14 in the Big Event. That surprised me a little.

Hope it’s a good day for all.
Probably wouldn't have got it, but I do recall the Trolly Dodgers coming up against those powerful Yankee teams.

My Darling and I went out to early vote but all the polling places here in Fairfax county seem to not open up until 1PM. Put us in a bind but we will vote... I was off today and thought we'd do that... We shall see...(In any event, we will vote...) (SO many BLUE signs in front. Gives you pause and lack of trust of integrity immediately but that's just me...)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT