ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

"Did anyone misplace their tailfin?"
Looks like a trilobite inspired design.
Trilo15.jpg

We really enjoy their work.

Good morning D-League. Cold and dark in the east.

Looks like a tough hill to climb for the Phillies now to win two in Houston. Dusty Baker appears to be on the doorstep of his breakthrough win.
On the other hand, if he would somehow lose these next two games, would anybody in history ever have put together a string of losses in “win and celebrate” games? Seems impossible.

As for baseball trivia, the Dodgers —Brooklyn and LA —have the most World Series losses. They are 7-14 in the Big Event. That surprised me a little.

Hope it’s a good day for all.
The Dodgers really got behind in the 1940's and 50's. When I was little I thought Brooklyn and the Yanks were the only two teams that were allowed to play in the series. It seems they were in it every year.

The Dodgers played in 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955 and 1956. They finally won in 1955 then lost again in 1956. The Yankees owned them during this period. Although they lost it was exciting baseball for Dodger fans with players like Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Pee Wee Reese, Duke Snider, Carl Furillo and Gil Hodges just to name a few. Some of their great pitchers were Preacher Roe, Ralpha Branca, Don Newcomb, Johnny Padres and Carl Erskine.

The famous quote "Wait Till Next Year" was a Dodger slogan that one would hear from the end of the series to Spring Training.

Playing the Rocky theme...
Air Force plays Army tomorrow. Should be a great game as all of the service academy games are. Great spirit no matter what the record.

The USAFA has a good football team and the game will be in Arlington, TX with an early start.

The Dodgers really got behind in the 1940's and 50's. When I was little I thought Brooklyn and the Yanks were the only two teams that were allowed to play in the series. It seems they were in it every year.

The Dodgers played in 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955 and 1956. They finally won in 1955 then lost again in 1956. The Yankees owned them during this period. Although they lost it was exciting baseball for Dodger fans with players like Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Pee Wee Reese, Duke Snider, Carl Furillo and Gil Hodges just to name a few. Some of their great pitchers were Preacher Roe, Ralpha Branca, Don Newcomb, Johnny Padres and Carl Erskine.

The famous quote "Wait Till Next Year" was a Dodger slogan that one would hear from the end of the series to Spring Training.
Sawnee, as I noted in passing, my grandfather, a lifetime National League fan who was in the stands for all the 1919 World Series games played in Cincy, interrupted my father trying to tell him he had a grandson (me) to tell my dad the Dodgers had finally beaten the Yankees in 1955! Johnny Podres gets the win. Next year had finally come.

My wife's dad, a proud Irishman, grew up in the Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn. He had a framed front page of a New York Tabloid, I think the Daily News, showing him and his cousin as 10-year-old boys sneaking into Ebbets Field. Great shot of them clambering over a low place in the wooden slat fence.

My Darling and I went out to early vote but all the polling places here in Fairfax county seem to not open up until 1PM. Put us in a bind but we will vote... I was off today and thought we'd do that... We shall see...(In any event, we will vote...) (SO many BLUE signs in front. Gives you pause and lack of trust of integrity immediately but that's just me...)
Early voting is in full swing down here and I have cast my vote. My wife will not vote early and always votes on election day. No exceptions. She said she does not trust mail in voting or voting early. I tried to tell her this is Florida and our elections are safe and accurate but watching states like Georgia, Pennsylvania, Arizona and few others in 2020 left a sour taste in her mouth. I can't change her mind.

I heard a report this morning the Gop vote is going 2 to 1 over Dems so far in Florida. That is huge because election day is when most of the Repubs show up. The Democrats pulled out financing for the Democrat governor's race and Senate a week or so ago and sent it to other places that are close.

Sawnee, as I noted in passing, my grandfather, a lifetime National League fan who was in the stands for all the 1919 World Series games played in Cincy, interrupted my father trying to tell him he had a grandson (me) to tell my dad the Dodgers had finally beaten the Yankees in 1955! Johnny Podres gets the win. Next year had finally come.

My wife's dad, a proud Irishman, grew up in the Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn. He had a framed front page of a New York Tabloid, I think the Daily News, showing him and his cousin as 10-year-old boys sneaking into Ebbets Field. Great shot of them clambering over a low place in the wooden slat fence.
I was not a Dodger fan but I really liked it when they were in Brooklyn and the Giants in New York City. We lived in Vero Beach a few years when I was a young boy and the Dodgers did Spring Training there in Dodger Town. I saw all of the greats from the early 1950's and had pictures taken and got a bunch of authographs and a locker full of baseballs, including Jackie Robinson and Roy Campanella. The team and players allowed fans to mix and mingle with the players while they were working out and practicing. That was a great period to grow up when Baseball Was King.

Over the years I found most baseball players to be very friendly and loved to interact with the fans. The only issue I had with one was with Pete Rose when he was with the Phillies. He screamed and yelled at my 6 year old son who was behind the home plate fence with a lot of other fans. My son did not even say a word but he could not get his eyes off him because Rose was the Star of Stars back then. Pete was having a bad day and just yelled out at all of the fans along the fence. He must have been frustrated

Last edited:
Early voting is in full swing down here and I have cast my vote. My wife will not vote early and always votes on election day. No exceptions. She said she does not trust mail in voting or voting early. I tried to tell her this is Florida and our elections are safe and accurate but watching states like Georgia, Pennsylvania, Arizona and few others in 2020 left a sour taste in her mouth. I can't change her mind.

I heard a report this morning the Gop vote is going 2 to 1 over Dems so far in Florida. That is huge because election day is when most of the Repubs show up. The Democrats pulled out financing for the Democrat governor's race and Senate a week or so ago and sent it to other places that are close.

We finished voting. Only had one congressional race to vote for but we did. I took a crowd pic I will post when I get home to my computer.

This place was a blue swamp. But My Darling and I were wearing red.

I was not a Dodger fan but I really liked it when they were in Brooklyn and the Giants in New York City. We lived in Vero Beach a few years when I was a young boy and the Dodgers did Spring Training there in Dodger Town. I saw all of the greats from the early 1950's and had pictures taken and got a bunch of authographs and a locker full of baseballs, including Jackie Robinson and Roy Campanella. The team and players allowed fans to mix and mingle with the players while they were working out and practicing. That was a great period to grow up when Baseball Was King.

Over the years I found most baseball players to be very friendly and loved to interact with the fans. The only issue I had with one was with Pete Rose when he was with the Phillies. He screamed and yelled at my 6 year old son who behind the home plate fence with a lot of other fans. Pete was having a bad day.

Pete is having a bad career after baseball of his own volition..... A serious shame. I had a similar experience with Al Kaline when I was young but darn I couldn't not like Ole number 6....

Over the years I found most baseball players to be very friendly and loved to interact with the fans. The only issue I had with one was with Pete Rose when he was with the Phillies. He screamed and yelled at my 6 year old son who behind the home plate fence with a lot of other fans. Pete was having a bad day.
HAHAHA! Now I have to tell my Pete Rose story. My Uncle Pete was a good athlete - got a scholarship to Morehead and played point guard and was a better baseball player - and somewhere along the way had played in some city league team with Pete Rose when both were teenagers. Or so he said.

He was telling my dad (his older sister's husband) all about that one day in Crosley Field around 1963, when Rose had made the Reds as a rookie. So my dad goaded him, "Pete would probably be happy to say hello. Take your nephew (me) down there and introduce him"

So, his bluff called, my uncle walked us down to the chest high chain link fence leading from the field to the locker room in Crosley - in those days you could stand there and ask for autographs. Pete walks by and my uncle pipes up "hey Pete! Remember me from (whatever team.) Say hello to my nephew!" And Rose actually stopped, looked right at us and said, "I ain't got time for that shit."

My uncle came unglued and started to climb the fence to go after Pete. My much bigger father, trying to hide his laughter, grabbed him and hustled him away before the cops who were always standing there intervened.

Oddly enough, my dad, who never liked Pete Rose and considered him a hot dog and knuckleheaded "Charlie Hustle" -- the nickname Mickey Mantle gave him to make fun of him for running out walks in a Spring Training game-- continued not to like him. But my uncle, despite the diss, continued to admire him all through the rest of Rose's days in Cincy.

HAHAHA! Now I have to tell my Pete Rose story. My Uncle Pete was a good athlete - got a scholarship to Morehead and played point guard and was a better baseball player - and somewhere along the way had played in some city league team with Pete Rose when both were teenagers. Or so he said.

He was telling my dad (his older sister's husband) all about that one day in Crosley Field around 1963, when Rose had made the Reds as a rookie. So my dad goaded him, "Pete would probably be happy to say hello. Take your nephew (me) down there and introduce him"

So, his bluff called, my uncle walked us down to the chest high chain link fence leading from the field to the locker room in Crosley - in those days you could stand there and ask for autographs. Pete walks by and my uncle pipes up "hey Pete! Remember me from (whatever team.) Say hello to my nephew!" And Rose actually stopped, looked right at us and said, "I ain't got time for that shit."

My uncle came unglued and started to climb the fence to go after Pete. My much bigger father, trying to hide his laughter, grabbed him and hustled him away before the cops who were always standing there intervened.

Oddly enough, my dad, who never liked Pete Rose and considered him a hot dog and knuckleheaded "Charlie Hustle" -- the nickname Mickey Mantle gave him to make fun of him for running out walks in a Spring Training game-- continued not to like him. But my uncle, despite the diss, continued to admire him all through the rest of Rose's days in Cincy.
Pete Rose had a son, I will call him Pete Jr and when he was 11 or 12 years old he took it upon himself to patrol the fence at Spring Training telling the fans to get away and other insults. He had on his Pete, Jr Phillies uniform and took it straight to his head. He was pretty obnoxious to say it mildly.

My only run in with Pete Rose was when he played for the Phillies as they did their Spring Training in Clearwater where I lived. I really enjoyed going out to the ball park to watch them train and play exhibition games. It was inexpensive and a great way to meet the players. Pete was the least popular player on the team, from a fans point of view. But he was a tremendous player during that period.

Didn't know you were a Stan Musial fan. LOL. Bill James said Kaline's favorite player growing up was Musial.

When I managed my teams while my son was growing up I always wore number 6, when I played in church leagues I wore number 6, when I played Legion ball I wore number 6. (One year in a church league I wore 00. For some strange reason I remember that year better than the rest. (Probably the year I started noticing girls a lot more. I took some serious ribbing for that number.)

This was where we voted today. We got there early as voting didn't start until 1PM. (We actually made two trips and were still early. We found two chairs inside and My Darling and I sat down. One lady came in, the blond you see pictured. We were told the line would start outside by a worker but we sat there until it got closer (No issues). When we went outside the lady stated she knew we were here first and should get in front of her. I told her thank you but there were only about eight or so people at the time so I stated; "as long as the others in line didn't mind", they all shrugged as if no big deal. I stated thanks again and My Darling and I were the first voters today. That is my big ole Dumbo ear. I used the selfie mode to take the picture. That blue tent in the background had some seriously invasive people in it. Just kept asking questions.

In fact one guy while we were sitting inside (After the poll-working leader (She told me that.) told us it was no issue to sit inside until it was time to vote, he came up and told me "after" we were already standing to go outside that we needed to go outside to vote. I looked him in his eyes and told him "We are good, I don't need you." (He heard what the poll leader told us.) It just irks me when you get these chumps that like to walk around and act like they are something more than they are.

Oh well, there was only one vote to make on our ballot but we did it...

312571546_6168093599870835_3252691584772357711_n.jpg

Sherry and I voted today. I voted for one Dem. She is my city attorney's, when I was Mayor, wife and she is the County Attorney. I am in love with her and she was running unopposed. She needed the vote. She is this tall good looking woman who hugs and kisses me every time I see her. My definition of a good democrat!

I trust elections in Kentucky. They are nailed down pretty well. You always have had to show ID and be registered on the roll. Of course now the roll is in a computer but you must sign your name before you vote.

edit: by the way it took us about 5 minutes, in and out. Great system down here in redneck country. Things work in the sticks.

Last edited:
Didn't know you were a Stan Musial fan. LOL. Bill James said Kaline's favorite player growing up was Musial.
My dad was a Cincinnati Reds fan but he was also a huge fan of Stan Musial. I may have told this story but my daddy was a semi-pro player for a coal company in Stone, KY.

About 7 miles down the road was Williamson, WVA and Stan Musial played minor league ball there for a short spell in early career. The Stone Red Robins worked out with them and played a few exhibition games with him. Daddy said he knew The Man was going to be good. Real good.

175846990_6e7910bb74_b.jpg

This was where we voted today. We got there early as voting didn't start until 1PM. (We actually made two trips and were still early. We found two chairs inside and My Darling and I sat down. One lady came in, the blond you see pictured. We were told the line would start outside by a worker but we sat there until it got closer (No issues). When we went outside the lady stated she knew we were here first and should get in front of her. I told her thank you but there were only about eight or so people at the time so I stated; "as long as the others in line didn't mind", they all shrugged as if no big deal. I stated thanks again and My Darling and I were the first voters today. That is my big ole Dumbo ear. I used the selfie mode to take the picture. That blue tent in the background had some seriously invasive people in it. Just kept asking questions.

In fact one guy while we were sitting inside (After the poll-working leader (She told me that.) told us it was no issue to sit inside until it was time to vote, he came up and told me "after" we were already standing to go outside that we needed to go outside to vote. I looked him in his eyes and told him "We are good, I don't need you." (He heard what the poll leader told us.) It just irks me when you get these chumps that like to walk around and act like they are something more than they are.

Oh well, there was only one vote to make on our ballot but we did it...

312571546_6168093599870835_3252691584772357711_n.jpg
You are a dedicate voter sir. Good work

My dad was a Cincinnati Reds fan but he was also a huge fan of Stan Musial. I may have told this story but my daddy was a semi-pro player for a coal company in Stone, KY.

About 7 miles down the road was Williamson, WVA and Stan Musial played minor league ball there for a short spell in early career. The Stone Red Robins worked out with them and played a few exhibition games with him. Daddy said he knew The Man was going to be good. Real good.

Stan started as pitcher and played outfield between starts. Got hurt and was going home to work in the coal mines, but Dickie Kerr talked him into giving the outfield a shot full time. That is the same Kerr who was a hero in the Black Sox scandal. Stan rewarded him later with a new home after Kerr had fallen on hard times.

I'm not sure exactly when things changed, but there was a time when players could make more money in the minors or on a company team than in the majors.. You'd have a job where you could stay at home and the crowd might pass the hat for you if you had a big game. Some guys turned down MLB offers because it would be a cut in pay.

I don't know why people stand in long lines to vote unless the states purposely reduce the voting locations to make it so. Years ago I got to the poll near closing & line was around 1/2 hr as I recall. Also nearly same in 2020 covid year. Otherwise, normally I go in between 10-11 or 1-3 election day and it's near walk right up & sign in. That's what I plan this year also.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Just no idea how this game is going to play out today, Cats responded well after two straight losses with Miss St win, then Tenn game was an absolute debacle. All of Mizzou's SEC games have been close scores, 3 point loss to Auburn, 4 point loss to Georgia, 7 loss to Florida...3 point win again Vandy and 23-10 win against South Carolina. Hope the Cats play like the team we looked like against Florida and Miss St.

Last edited:
I don't know why people stand in long lines to vote unless the states purposely reduce the voting locations to make it so. Years ago I got to the poll near closing & line was around 1/2 hr as I recall. Also nearly same in 2020 covid year. Otherwise, normally I go in between 10-11 or 1-3 election day and it's near walk right up & sign in. That's what I plan this year also.
For some reason, our county experienced reduced polling locations this year. Two locations I used during years past were no longer available this cycle. No biggie. I early voted last week around 4:30 pm. No line.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 54°F and mostly cloudy. Today's high expected around 73°F. Thunderstorms missed us last night.

Somebody rapidly fired perhaps 10 shots from what sounded like a semi-automatic pistol nearby about 15 minutes ago. Scared our pup, who was out back at the time. No siren yet. Life in the big city.

Game Day. Go Cats! Hopefully Cats end this skid, but Missouri gonna be tough.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

f4774e898421442cbbc23a2e12830f0a.jpg

Good Saturday Morning

Another pleasant day with a current temperature of 64° and our high should reach 84° with clear sunny skies.

Lots of nice games to watch today, should be a fun day and I trust the Cats can get back to winning. A loss today would make this season a disappointment in my eyes and probably knock the Cats out of any chance for a Florida bowl. I hope the Cats can get it together.

My wife and I are headed down to St Pete to the St Pete Yacht Club for a luncheon and speaker. It is always nice to visit that area. I trust all are well and have a great day.

iu

This is how it looked about 65 years ago.

iu

Good morning everyone.

10 shots around here wouldn't even make anyone wonder what's up.

Wife and I will be working the polls again this year. It may be our last since it's just not worth it anymore and I think my buddy the County Clerk is about to retire.

Speaking of run, run, screen...do you all remember the early 80's 3rd & long draw play. Anytime 3rd & long came up the students (me included) would start chanting "Draw Play". We were seldom wrong.

I'm looking forward to the GA-TENN game. I hope ours is a good warm up.

Good morning. Wind advisory here with gusts over 40 mph. Should take care of those pesky leaves still stuck on the trees.

I think the Cats get their swagger back today after that demoralizing loss last week. Still a legitimate chance of a 9-win season with a bowl win. No way are they beating UGA. As a UK fan how can you complain about an 8 or 9 win season. Still work to be done though.

Good morning everyone.

10 shots around here wouldn't even make anyone wonder what's up.

Wife and I will be working the polls again this year. It may be our last since it's just not worth it anymore and I think my buddy the County Clerk is about to retire.

Speaking of run, run, screen...do you all remember the early 80's 3rd & long draw play. Anytime 3rd & long came up the students (me included) would start chanting "Draw Play". We were seldom wrong.

I'm looking forward to the GA-TENN game. I hope ours is a good warm up.
Yeah I remember those teams well. Class of '82 here. My final semester was the infamous 0-10-1 season. I can proudly say that I made all but 1 game.

Good news. My neighbor bought a pair of lower level UK/Kansas tickets and asked me to join him. Now I've given up on going to games ever since I started putting together a home theater but I'll make an exception in this case.

Yeah I remember those teams well. Class of '82 here. My final semester was the infamous 0-10-1 season. I can proudly say that I made all but 1 game.

Good news. My neighbor bought a pair of lower level UK/Kansas tickets and asked me to join him. Now I've given up on going to games ever since I started putting together a home theater but I'll make an exception in this case.
Yep, that was my first semester. Enjoy that game. I don't think I've seen a game in person since I graduated.

Edit: We probably saw each other (I most likely should be embarrassed). I don't think I missed a game.
Edit #2- Went back and looked at that season. 1. Wow, I was only 17 when I attended the first 2 games. 2. We averaged less than 9 points per game that year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT