ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

That's interesting Bert. I too appear to have inherited a predisposition for osteoarthritis from my mother - who had hip replacement surgery at about my age - rather than my father, who never needed it.

The doc today said it was pretty much genetics. But I know I damaged by knees, ankles and hips quite a bit playing basketball and working many years on pipeline jobs, not to mention sleeping rough and moving fast in a hundred Third World shit holes as a war correspondent.

So, que sera, sera. I may see one more surgeon for a second opinion who is a friend and colleague of my wife but I don't think there is any way I am dodging the bullet -- or the scalpel -- on this one.
The bolded part. I understand.

They need to give us the knowledge when we are young. But then they did not know. :)

It is sure good to see you back Rooster.
Thank you. Good to be seen.
DismalImpressiveFritillarybutterfly-size_restricted.gif

It was the 3rd of June...
I love that song and that record. I have one just like, I bought it the week it came out. We use to argue as to what they were throwing off that bridge. The movie some years later revealed what the movie writer wanted us to think but I am not sure that is what the song writer thought.

Billy Joe never had a lick of sense anyhow. I think it is one of the greatest Southern ballads of all time.

I have an artificial right knee and right hip. I was supposed to get the left hip done on March 23, 2020 and Covid 19 stopped that. I am now pissed off that they called it off after I went to my heart doctor for all sorts of tests and then "NO OPERATION".

Now I am about to turn 76 so I don't know if I want to go to the heart doctor for two days and go through all those procedures again to get permission to have the operations. After my left hip and knee I need new ankles. I will not live long enough to justify all of that surgery.

Note: to replace my hip they have to remove this:
285934787_5126272944154915_4783950799315886860_n.jpg

285996619_5126272934154916_7790477919258998471_n.jpg

Slow down on your exercise programs. We are limited on the cartilage we get issued and part of it is DNA. My father did not have the problem but my mom gave it to me. I ran through mine really quick playing baseball, basketball, track et.al.

Start acting like an old man instead of a kid! Life is a marathon not a sprint! Slow down and have better joints late in life.
I doubt I will have to have any joints replaced. My severe arthritis is in my spine. Oh I have the aches, etc in my knees, shoulders, fingers, etc. but I can beat it. The back almost paralyzed me and I was destined for a wheel chair. But a good surgeon and a lot of rehab has me back where I need to be to complete this life's journey.

I am just a Pilgrim traveling through this wearisom land.

I doubt I will have to have any joints replaced. My severe arthritis is in my spine. Oh I have the aches, etc in my knees, shoulders, fingers, etc. but I can beat it. The back almost paralyzed me and I was destined for a wheel chair. But a good surgeon and a lot of rehab has me back where I need to be to complete this life's journey.

I am just a Pilgrim traveling through this wearisom land.

Love Sweethearts of the Rodeo...Here's one that always makes me think, 'what might have been...'

Love Sweethearts of the Rodeo...Here's one that always makes me think, 'what might have been...'
I was a huge Gram Parsons fan and was crushed when he OD'd. Each time I hear Emmylou I think of him and I play her songs all the time. He probably did more to get her career going as anyone.

What might have been is so true. The guy was brilliant and such a talent. I enjoyed Gram with the Flying Burrito Brothers

Morning Legionnaires!

Today's high supposed to only get to 75° with light winds. Would normally be a great Kayak fishing day right? Thunderstorms rolling in around 0930. The itch is strong so I am going anyway but without the Kayak so I can fish as long as I can before the storms. Don't want to be out on the water when it rolls in. On the bank I can move to the truck like I was rounding second on Tuesday night.

Have a big bruise on my left forearm as I was allowing my student to kick with force yesterday as we were sparring. Same forearm with a raspberry from my Pete Rose slide into third Tuesday night. Being a gymnast, she has developed a very strong legs and her round house is starting to get powerful and blocking a roundhouse with my left arm yesterday I felt it. I wore rib protection and head gear along with a mouthpiece so I was protected mostly. We both had hand pads and foot pads and I let her attack and mostly just blocked. She has a tournament toward the end of this month and wants to do both Kata and Fighting. There is another lady about her age that talked to me yesterday about joining the class who does Brazilian jujitsu as well. I told her she was welcome to start as I need someone else to spar with her and not just me.

You guys take care today and God Bless.

My Darling asked me to wear a mouth piece................................................So I'd shut up some times.... I told her, I do at night...

69.0°F and sunny on our way to 81°. Mowed yesterday and I need to go to the store today to get some salads and stuff, also some bourbon.

Sawnee Cat Joe Biden hates the U.S. He does every thing in his power to mess up our economy. He has to be the worst of the worst. Having studied and applied economics at a micro level I am positive he and his advisors are totally inept.

Are you ready for your storm?

Sir, Joe is a wasteoid mentally. It is the couple hundred people around him that are doing what is being done. (He seriously has no clue.) Joe would do it too if he could get a penny out of it but his "wife" is happy to oblige. I do not feel a bit sorry for Joe as he has been a horrible horrible person his entire life. I do feel sorry for a country who won't work harder at stopping this theft and deception... I will stop for now.

Last edited:
OK Joe, but I'm going to need you guys to pass a law that says if someone attacks my house with a high capacity weapon, that they have to cease fire each time I have to reload. If you will do that, and move me into to a gated, guarded community, like all of you live in, then I'll concede some ground.

Just about the exact truth... what a shame...

El Mercado TexMex take-out for dinner. Wife got Mercado Plate. I settled on Spinach and Mushroom enchiladas. Added a frozen margarita. Delicious.

Found a $10 bill under right-rear back tire of a car during my noon walk. Life is good.

Watched Marooned last night. May check out Thinner tonight.

Hope y'all having a good one.

Ha, had little Caesars... Me and the BB slummed it this evening. His Mom is here and he will leave shortly but should be back tomorrow afternoon or Sunday. Finished what I had to finish today. Hopefully I will shortly nestle into a John Wayne movie (Haven't watched one of his in a while.) or some other movie and take it easier... Either way if something comes up, that's okay too. May work on my movie list, convert a few and see where I get.

Have a restful evening!

Last edited:
El Mercado TexMex take-out for dinner. Wife got Mercado Plate. I settled on Spinach and Mushroom enchiladas. Added a frozen margarita. Delicious.

Found a $10 bill under right-rear back tire of a car during my noon walk. Life is good.

Watched Marooned last night. May check out Thinner tonight.

Hope y'all having a good one.
I traveled to Houston a few times on business and always dined at Pappasito's . Excellent TexMex. I think they have several locations throughout the state. Didn't find one in San Antonio but that was 20 years ago.

Last edited:
I traveled to Houston a few times on business and always dined at Pappasito's . Excellent TexMex. I think they have several locations throughout the state. Didn't find one in San Antonio but that's been 20 years ago.

My Darling, the BB, and I ate at Smokey Bones for supper yesterday. It wasn't what My Darling remembered in South Carolina so I doubt we go back for a good long while. Got me craving some Bill Millers though as the pulled pork sandwich just didn't do it.

I traveled to Houston a few times on business and always dined at Pappasito's . Excellent TexMex. I think they have several locations throughout the state. Didn't find one in San Antonio but that was 20 years ago.
Pappasito's here in ATX off I-35 near us. Heard about it, but never been there. Might hit it up later.

Back in 1991, I returned back to SE KY. My former First Sergeant met up with me back there. He really wanted to invest in a restaurant or food truck with me at the time. We even looked at a couple places across from Lincoln Memorial University and in Middlesboro. He's Latino, originally from San Antonio, and has numerous connections. Said, "son, open up a food truck serving TexMex and watch the money roll in. I'll get you the labor".

Most popular restaurant currently open in Middlesboro is Pelancho's. Two other TexMex restaurants also on US-25 in town. Sigh, what might have been. Saw him several times since then. He still reminds me about that offer.

Pappasito's here in ATX off I-35 near us. Heard about it, but never been there. Might hit it up later.

Back in 1991, I returned back to SE KY. My former First Sergeant met up with me back there. He really wanted to invest in a restaurant or food truck with me at the time. We even looked at a couple places across from Lincoln Memorial University and in Middlesboro. He's Latino, originally from San Antonio, and has numerous connections. Said, "son, open up a food truck serving TexMex and watch the money roll in. I'll get you the labor".

Most popular restaurant currently open in Middlesboro is Pelancho's. Two other TexMex restaurants also on US-25 in town. Sigh, what might have been. Saw him several times since then. He still reminds me about that offer.

Ha not quite food but I went swimming in that LMU pool a few times when Virgil and I were younger. Me and My Darling loaded down with chestnuts a couple years from some huge chestnut trees we found on campus. When younger I never had the vision to make dough in Middlesboro, it is there to be made for sure.

Ha not quite food but I went swimming in that LMU pool a few times when Virgil and I were younger. Me and My Darling loaded down with chestnuts a couple years from some huge chestnut trees we found on campus. When younger I never had the vision to make dough in Middlesboro, it is there to be made for sure.
Yes sir. LMU purchased the old Holiday Inn and turned into student housing. Expanded. Founded an osteopathic college. Ha ha, they even purchased the old trailer park up Forge Ridge Road near where my daughter, granddaughter and ex live. After demolition, they are turning it into student housing or some facility. Crazy.

Back around 96 I had a friend whose father had a hot dog cart in Louisville down at the square by the courthouse. He told me his father had made $80,000 the previous year.

If I was going to start a joint, it would be a beer joint. I would sell 3 kinds of beer and that would be it. Bottle beer, can beer, and draft beer. Keep it simple.

Speaking of beer...I like it. However, I'm drinking bourbon at the moment. I was at the golf course from 1400 til 2030 and didn't have a single brew. I also didn't have any coffee today. Forgot to make any and by the time I got to the course, there was no coffee even if I wanted it.

I am a terrible addict.

Back around 96 I had a friend whose father had a hot dog cart in Louisville down at the square by the courthouse. He told me his father had made $80,000 the previous year.

If I was going to start a joint, it would be a beer joint. I would sell 3 kinds of beer and that would be it. Bottle beer, can beer, and draft beer. Keep it simple.

Speaking of beer...I like it. However, I'm drinking bourbon at the moment. I was at the golf course from 1400 til 2030 and didn't have a single brew. I also didn't have any coffee today. Forgot to make any and by the time I got to the course, there was no coffee even if I wanted it.

I am a terrible addict.

There's a new mechanic in town. I stopped by to chat with him yesterday. He has set up shop in an old building that used to be bustling back in the day. I knew the owner and his sons and this is going back to the 60's. It was a gas station/mechanic shop from probably the time there were cars.

He quoted me a price of $220 to replace the spark plugs if I provided the plugs. They run a tad over $100. I asked a neighbor, who I see constantly messing with his truck, if he would be interested in helping me change these plugs. As I suspected, he was my huckleberry.

I'll flip him a hundred when we get done and he will be very happy.

I don't trust 100,000 mile spark plugs. I know I should, but it's that particular threshold that hangs me up. Used to be, back in the day, 100,000 miles meant the ride was over. That car was done, unless it had a major overhaul.

Anyway, I'm going to spend the extra money I'm saving, to put new coil packs on as well. Win Win. Except for the dude who will not be installing my spark plugs. He was at a disadvantage from the start. I have never paid a person to put spark plugs in any vehicle I have ever owned. I've put spark plugs in nearly all of them.

There's a new mechanic in town. I stopped by to chat with him yesterday. He has set up shop in an old building that used to be bustling back in the day. I knew the owner and his sons and this is going back to the 60's. It was a gas station/mechanic shop from probably the time there were cars.

He quoted me a price of $220 to replace the spark plugs if I provided the plugs. They run a tad over $100. I asked a neighbor, who I see constantly messing with his truck, if he would be interested in helping me change these plugs. As I suspected, he was my huckleberry.

I'll flip him a hundred when we get done and he will be very happy.

I don't trust 100,000 mile spark plugs. I know I should, but it's that particular threshold that hangs me up. Used to be, back in the day, 100,000 miles meant the ride was over. That car was done, unless it had a major overhaul.

Anyway, I'm going to spend the extra money I'm saving, to put new coil packs on as well. Win Win. Except for the dude who will not be installing my spark plugs. He was at a disadvantage from the start. I have never paid a person to put spark plugs in any vehicle I have ever owned. I've put spark plugs in nearly all of them.

Yep, I do most of my auto work myself as well. I have my darlings front bumper cover in my garage boxed up. I need to get it painted and installed. I did all the repairing of the undercarriage from a little mistake My Darling had our last snow.

Going to try changing the oil on My darlings car tomorrow. Need to change it on my car as well but I will wait a bit longer on it. I have the stuff in the garage so I can do it any time. I have ten quarts of old oil though and I want to take it to the recycle center soon. I guess when I make the trip there will be twenty quarts...

I have a wooden snake in my bag. You can articulate it about any way you want. Can't tell you how many times I've put that snake next to the cart while unsuspecting victim was concentrating on his slice.

Wooden snake $7.99. Green fees with cart, $member. Hearing a grown man scream. Priceless.

It WAS you in that video...(Who planted the snake...) 🤣 jk jk

Yep, I do most of my auto work myself as well. I have my darlings front bumper cover in my garage boxed up. I need to get it painted and installed. I did all the repairing of the undercarriage from a little mistake My Darling had our last snow.

Going to try changing the oil on My darlings car tomorrow. Need to change it on my car as well but I will wait a bit longer on it. I have the stuff in the garage so I can do it any time. I have ten quarts of old oil though and I want to take it to the recycle center soon. I guess when I make the trip there will be twenty quarts...
I'll be changing my oil from here on out as well. I was amazed at the cost the last time I had it changed. It was so much, I put it on the black card instead of my card. Figured I could call it an OUR expense rather than a MY expense. I have a friend to help change the oil. He also has a ram and changes his own oil.
It WAS you in that video...(Who planted the snake...) 🤣 jk jk
That wasn't me, but it could have been. I've worked construction in nuclear power going back to 1979. Hanging tails on people was a common practice. Duct taping conical drinking cups on top of hardhats was referred to as "coning".

That's interesting Bert. I too appear to have inherited a predisposition for osteoarthritis from my mother - who had hip replacement surgery at about my age - rather than my father, who never needed it.

The doc today said it was pretty much genetics. But I know I damaged by knees, ankles and hips quite a bit playing basketball and working many years on pipeline jobs, not to mention sleeping rough and moving fast in a hundred Third World shit holes as a war correspondent.

So, que sera, sera. I may see one more surgeon for a second opinion who is a friend and colleague of my wife but I don't think there is any way I am dodging the bullet -- or the scalpel -- on this one.
I was diagnosed as having chronic arthritis when I was 45 yrs old.............my real problems are spinal stenosis and spondylosis...........bad genetics yes..........bad choice by me to pick construction as a career..........I told the Director last week that the mule's ears are drooping........I used the power washer for about 5 hrs......my back was killing me so I put it up.......the Director just couldn't undertstand why I didn't finish......I told her to go push against a 3,800 lb pressure washer........L2 - L4 herniated disc start talking to you after a while....

Good morning from ATX. Currently 72°F and partly cloudy. Chance for showers within next couple hours. Today's high predicted around 97°F. Much hotter days ahead next week.

Group of UTexas students are riding 4000 miles to Alaska. Be careful and good luck.

Taking pup to the vet around 9:30 am for a check-up. Fingers crossed. She seems much better lately.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

National-Cheese-Day.png

I did the same thing back in my working days. I would fly into Houston and always found me a Pappasito's. They are hard to beat. Also I believe the same company owns Pappadeaux Seafood and Pappas BBQ. They are super good.

One of the best meals of my life was somewhere in Texas about 200 miles West of Austin. I have no idea where we were. I was driving to a remote ranch that had a pipeline on it and the turbine had crashed. My turbine consultant and I decided to drive to it and rented a pick up. There was nothing but wide open spaces and we must have gone 50 miles seeing only cattle and barbed wire fence. We spotted smoke at a distance and the closer we got we realized somebody was cooking a lot of food. An old church house congregation was having a BBQ to raise some funds to do church repairs. It was a black congregation and I told my buddy there has to be some good eating there. So we stopped and gorged ourselves on beef brisket with all the trimmings. I think they were charging $10 for all you could eat.

As we got up off of the bench to go (open air) an old black lady said "you didn't get a piece of my sweet potato pie". And she handed me a big piece. Lord have mercy it was goooood. Best I have had in my life, sorry grandma. I handed the man in charge a $50 bill and told him to keep the change. My buddy wrote them a check for $250 as a donation and we left with our best wishes and prayers for a fine bunch of people. I have never seen such hospitality. I love Texas and Texas people.

They have good reason to brag. If you visit Texas and come back home hungry it is your own fault.

Good Morning D

I am about to finish up a pot of coffee and must say it is nice and strong. My doctor told me to drink plenty of coffee as it was good for my kidneys. I can handle that. Around 18 months ago they took out a kidney that was cancerous and I am trying to live out the rest of my days with the one left. My goal in life is to stay off of dialysis. My dad died of kidney failure and hated dialysis. It made him miserable and limited his traveling.

Now to our weather. We have 73° and winds are out of the NE at 11 mph. Clouds will be with us most of the day and by late afternoon there is a 25% chance of rain. A disturbance in the Gulf is bringing heavy rain South of us but it doesn't look like we will get much of it. I live in the brown area of the map. Our high today will be in the mid 80's. We do have a small craft advisory so be careful when you see those white caps.

I trust all are well and have a good day.

DCT_SPECIAL2_1280x720.jpg

Good Morning D

I am about to finish up a pot of coffee and must say it is nice and strong. My doctor told me to drink plenty of coffee as it was good for my kidneys. I can handle that. Around 18 months ago they took out a kidney that was cancerous and I am trying to live out the rest of my days with the one left. My goal in life is to stay off of dialysis. My dad died of kidney failure and hated dialysis. It made him miserable and limited his traveling.

Now to our weather. We have 73° and winds are out of the NE at 11 mph. Clouds will be with us most of the day and by late afternoon there is a 25% chance of rain. A disturbance in the Gulf is bringing heavy rain South of us but it doesn't look like we will get much of it. I live in the brown area of the map. Our high today will be in the mid 80's. We do have a small craft advisory so be careful when you see those white caps.

I trust all are well and have a good day.

DCT_SPECIAL2_1280x720.jpg
May I suggest Dr. McCoy? ;) Here's to hoping you stay healthy and off of dialysis.
Wife had a co-worker who died of kidney failure after the covid shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT