ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning D League

I woke up to a very cool, for me, 45° with clear skies. Now the sun is bringing very sunny skies and our high will fall a little short of 70° The pool temperature is 72 so I am going to crank up the temperature in the pool to 95 and hope it stabilizes at 85°. With the sun it should. I don't like swimming in less than 85.

I have a few errands to run today and a bunch of stuff I sold on ebay to get to the post office. Vintage basketball magazines are bringing a good price now. Here is an example of one I have on ebay that is selling for $240.00. I have mine listed for only $139.00 and I bet it is in much better condition because mine is mint. I paid 50 cents for it in 1964.

s-l1600.jpg

1964 High School Basketball PREMIERE ISSUE * Lew Alcindor / Kareem * Wes Unseld

$240.00
Buy It Now
+$3.19 shipping

It goes to show you never can tell.

Have a great day D League

Good Morning,
A picture of my Darling's and my apartment in Korea. (Just popped up as a memory on FB.) had a Bundt there one time too. A good place, we miss the comradery we had there. It was a close-nit family of sorts. (You may have had to live overseas to understand but it should be easy to understand.)

This was a four bedroom suite. Just a nice place.

46178_537937359553182_1022909244_n.jpg
Very, very nice. The floors are beautiful. What type of wood is it?

Good morning D League

I woke up to a very cool, for me, 45° with clear skies. Now the sun is bringing very sunny skies and our high will fall a little short of 70° The pool temperature is 72 so I am going to crank up the temperature in the pool to 95 and hope it stabilizes at 85°. With the sun it should. I don't like swimming in less than 85.

I have a few errands to run today and a bunch of stuff I sold on ebay to get to the post office. Vintage basketball magazines are bringing a good price now. Here is an example of one I have on ebay that is selling for $240.00. I have mine listed for only $139.00 and I bet it is in much better condition because mine is mint. I paid 50 cents for it in 1964.

s-l1600.jpg

$240.00
Buy It Now
+$3.19 shipping

Speaking of Wilt.

Very, very nice. The floors are beautiful. What type of wood is it?

Some sort of laminate. It was a nice place though the workmanship was shoddy at best. Saw all the seams on the drywall. The concrete in Korea is something other than American concrete. It chips readily. We were on the 14th floor. I can see where their buildings do not last long. One thing that was hard to deal with while there was the sewer system. When you were walking down the street you could smell the sewage. Especially in the summer... it was normal.

While we liked our time there, it was not home even though my wife's family and relatives were able to visit as we were able to visit them a lot. It was time well spent.

Last edited:
Some sort of laminate. It was a nice place though the workmanship was shoddy at best. Saw all the seams on the drywall. The concrete in Korea is something other than American concrete. It chips readily. We were on the 14th floor. I can see where there buildings do not last long. One thing that was hard to deal with while there was the sewer system. When you were walking down the street you could smell the sewage. Especially in the summer... it was normal.

While we liked our time there, it was not home even though my wife's family and relatives were able to visit as we were able to visit them a lot. It was time well spent.
I thought maybe the floors would be made of bamboo. We had a three story house in Georgia with solid oak on the two upper floors above the walk out basement. For the stairs leading to the lower level and the entire lower level I put in bamboo and it was the best flooring I could have had for that area. That area of the house had the most activity and the floors held up as good as I could have dreamed for. It was so easy to maintain and hard hard hard.

Good morning D League

s-l1600.jpg

$240.00
Buy It Now
+$3.19 shipping

You have some serious "stuff". I look at ebay regularly but mostly for old movies I like in DVD format. I have a good collection now of digital movies but I am going to rip them and keep them in MP4 format. (A lot less space.) (I saved your page.)

Speaking of Wilt.

That is cool. I had not heard that story. Wilt was something else. His picture on the cover of sports magazines gives the magazine a little extra worth.

I collected just about every football, baseball and basketball magazine from about 1960. I have baseball magazines with Joe DiMaggio on the cover and many with Mickey Mangle, Stan Musial and others going back to the early 1950's. My collecting days are over so I am listing them on Ebay to see what happens. I have been surprised at the results. The national magazines sell much better than UK stuff. UK magazines are tough to move. I am also having trouble moving a 2015 UK basketball. I had four 2012 Championship autographed balls that sold pretty quick. But 2015 is tough. Had they won it all that year it would probably bring a fortune at 40-0.

You have some serious "stuff". I look at ebay regularly but mostly for old movies I like in DVD format. I have a good collection now of digital movies but I am going to rip them and keep them in MP4 format. (A lot less space.) (I saved your page.)
Thanks yes, some of it very very rare and you just have to find the right person out there that want it. I have another 8 or 900 magazines to list but like to keep my inventory less than 250 because working it alone it is easy to get out of control. I have a 100% rating for items I have sold and I prefer to keep a record of good service rather than throw a thousand items out at once. I sell a little of everything including rare license plates. They bring BIG dollars too.

And so it goes.

That is cool. I had not heard that story. Wilt was something else. His picture on the cover of sports magazines gives the magazine a little extra worth.

I collected just about every football, baseball and basketball magazine from about 1960. I have baseball magazines with Joe DiMaggio on the cover and many with Mickey Mangle, Stan Musial and others going back to the early 1950's. My collecting days are over so I am listing them on Ebay to see what happens. I have been surprised at the results. The national magazines sell much better than UK stuff. UK magazines are tough to move. I am also having trouble moving a 2015 UK basketball. I had four 2012 Championship autographed balls that sold pretty quick. But 2015 is tough. Had they won it all that year it would probably bring a fortune at 40-0.

Thanks yes, some of it very very rare and you just have to find the right person out there that want it. I have another 8 or 900 magazines to list but like to keep my inventory less than 250 because working it alone it is easy to get out of control. I have a 100% rating for items I have sold and I prefer to keep a record of good service rather than throw a thousand items out at once. I sell a little of everything including rare license plates. They bring BIG dollars too.

And so it goes.
It's not mentioned in this story, but back in the day, NBA teams had "territorial" draft picks. Red Auerbach tried to get Wilt to go to a school that would have given the Celtics the draft pick, but I reckon Kansas offered more money. There's a story about that to, but I don't have time to tell it right now.

It's not mentioned in this story, but back in the day, NBA teams had "territorial" draft picks. Red Auerbach tried to get Wilt to go to a school that would have given the Celtics the draft pick, but I reckon Kansas offered more money. There's a story about that to, but I don't have time to tell it right now.
There is no doubt Kansas paid Wilt some big dollars. And they did not win an NCAA title with him. Before going to the NBA, Wilt left Kansas and became a Harlem Globetrotter. Then he signed with the Philadelphia Warriors and of course he was from Philadelphia.

I remember the "territorial draft". That is how the Cincinnati Royals got Oscar.

One of my favorite scenes in that movie was the sand flea scene where they went back out to find and bury the sand flea that Pvt Owens killed.
When I was about 12 years old there was an incident at Parris Island where six recruits were drowned during basic training drills. The same year, I believe it was the Old TV Show Kraft Theater that had a special about Parris Island and basic training. It was called "The Murder of A Sand Flea. If I recall there was a scene where a recruit slaps and kills a sand flea. The DI may have taken that scene and used it in the movie. I would love to see that old TV special again.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0622584/?ref_=ttsnd_snd_tt

I was also having shoulder problems when I quit playing. It got progressively worse over the years. By age fifty or so, I couldn't lift my arm over shoulder height, so I had the rotator cuff surgery.
My wife had rotator cuff surgery and it took about 4 weeks of therapy to get her hand over shoulder height. It ain't an easy cure.

3 good things about not being young:

1 Senior discounts
2 Medicare
3 Fit right in with the D League with "back in the day" stories
I go to breakfast with some of my old pigeon buddies on Saturday mornings.....there is usually six or so guys that show up to Cracker Barrel.........the Director wanted to know what we talked about........I told her we was just a bunch of old men reminiscing about things that we couldn't remember all the details of............

Good morning guys. Looks like Reed Sheppard is committing to us on this Saturday. Great to have a legacy that can play. Got all my outside Christmas lights on the house while the weather was warm. Of course, won't turn them on until Thanksgiving, but at least I won't have to fight the cold.
Turkeys have been hard to find in this part of the country. I guess the turkey farmers had a bunch die of covid this past year.

Well, well. Thanks Austin I have learned another word this morning. Mama would be proud because she always said try to expand your vocabulary every day. This is what the wise do.

I have seen cakes shaped like this but I had no idea they were called bundts. I just thought they were made in some funny mold like people use for a gingerbread man. Son of a gun.

That would go very good with the cup of coffee I am drinking right now. I think I will tell me wife to bring me a bundt just to see if she knows what it is.
I don't see how you made it through the 60's and 70's without hearing about a bundt cake. Those things were everywhere back then. Here's a good easy recipe for a bundt pan now that you're going to run out and buy one...

Good afternoon1 It would've been good morning but it took me awhile to catch up.

I didn't go outside Saturday or Sunday. Last night when I went to take the trash out to the street I felt Winter in the air. Not Fall, Winter. I wouldn't doubt that we have a rough Winter this year. I wish global warming was real because it would help more people than it would hurt.

Reed Sheppard come on down!

Typical Monday is store here. Dishes, laundry, sweep floors, run vacuum cleaner, and of course, listen to tunes at an inappropriate volume.

Have a day!

Speaking of Wilt.

"This record comes with a bit of an asterisks because Wilt Chamberlain wrote that he once drove from New York to Los Angeles in his Lamborghini Countach in 36 hours 10 minutes."

I recall reading the above story back in the day. Interstates were new & little traffic compared with today, so would be easy to fly low. Talked about 7'1" black guy stepping out of a sports car at night to fill up with gas in the middle of Kansas & the wonderment in gas station attendants' eyes. LOL.

There is no doubt Kansas paid Wilt some big dollars. And they did not win an NCAA title with him. Before going to the NBA, Wilt left Kansas and became a Harlem Globetrotter. Then he signed with the Philadelphia Warriors and of course he was from Philadelphia.

I remember the "territorial draft". That is how the Cincinnati Royals got Oscar.
I still think Big O is the GOAT. Played like LeBron at 6-3 or 4 but much the better shooter. Look at his scoring with no 3-point line in existence. Look at his triple-doubles w/ no 3-point line. It's not even close. Hellacious D, but no steals stat then either.

Good talks today with Bert and Don! Spoke with Don about going to the Outback Bowl if we make it. There will be some logistics to figure out but if anyone else would like to make a merry band to head down there, let me know.
Absolutely, i am a little over an hour away and it would be fun to meet up with y'all.

Yep. And Adrian "Odie" Smith. Those were the Cincy Royals of my youth. My hourly-wage, construction worker father could take me and my brothers over to the old Cincinnati Gardens several times a season to watch the Big O and Odie Smith, among others. Now, I can afford to lay out the $100-plus per ticket to take my son to a Washington Wizards game once a year. Actually, I could afford it more often, but it seems criminal to pay that much to watch a team without anyone who'll ever be mentioned in the same sentence as Oscar Robertson.

Yep. And Adrian "Odie" Smith. Those were the Cincy Royals of my youth. My hourly-wage, construction worker father could take me and my brothers over to the old Cincinnati Gardens several times a season to watch the Big O and Odie Smith, among others. Now, I can afford to lay out the $100-plus per ticket to take my son to a Washington Wizards game once a year. Actually, I could afford it more often, but it seems criminal to pay that much to watch a team without anyone who'll ever be mentioned in the same sentence as Oscar Robertson.
One of the biggest thrills of my youth was watching Odie Smith and his 1958 UK team mates win the NCAA title in Freedom Hall. It was the first time I had seen UK play in person. He was a solid player and made very few mistakes. He also won an Olympic Gold medal in 1960. As for Oscar. No words to describe. I wish my kids could have seen him play.

You know Oscar played for the Cincinnati Bearcats and they never won a title when he was there. He graduates and Cincinnati won two straight. 1961 and 1962. Almost had three in a row, 1963, but got knocked out it the championship game.

I've seen two stories on the paying of Wilt. One was from the LA Times. Where Wilt said all Kansas players had godfathers and he had three. That way he couldn't say for sure where the money came from. From a biography, he said he was given a list of phone numbers. When he needed something, he was to call the top number on the page. He was to go through the list and when he got to the bottom, he should go back to the top. He would identify himself. He would go to a pre determined point and a package of money would be waiting for him. Btw Wilt set conference records in several track and field events while at Kansas.

One of the biggest thrills of my youth was watching Odie Smith and his 1958 UK team mates win the NCAA title in Freedom Hall. It was the first time I had seen UK play in person. He was a solid player and made very few mistakes. He also won an Olympic Gold medal in 1960. As for Oscar. No words to describe. I wish my kids could have seen him play.

You know Oscar played for the Cincinnati Bearcats and they never won a title when he was there. He graduates and Cincinnati won two straight. 1961 and 1962. Almost had three in a row, 1963, but got knocked out it the championship game.
I was a bit too young for that era, but grew up listening to my father and uncles talking about the great teams in that part of the country - just before UCLA took over.

Think of it - Kentucky won in 58. Ohio State won in 60. Cincinnati won in 61 and 62 over Ohio State both times, then Cincinnati lost in the finals in 63. That’s a lot of hoops excellence within about two hours’ drive of Northern Kentucky where we lived.

Odie played high school ball at Farmington in Graves County Ky. its just a few miles from me. Its now only a grade school. Several years ago, Odie came home for a visit and attended a Graves County game. At half time, he was introduced to a standing ovation.

Good morning D League

s-l1600.jpg

$240.00
Buy It Now
+$3.19 shipping

When asked what he missed most about his home burning down Lew/Kareem said it was his extensive collection of jazz albums.

I cooked quail for our supper along with potato wedges. My brother in law gave us several frozen quail last year from a hunt he did somewhere. If you like chicken, you’ll love quail.
I was working in Athens Alabama in the early 90's and a grocery store there kept frozen quail and rabbit on hand all the time. Some welders at work made me a couple of little stainless cages so I could cook the quail like you would a beer can chicken. Loved em!

When I was a very young kid and my father could still get around, we would go quail hunting all the time. I've ate many of them fresh.

Thanks for jumping in but we already counted you!
Man, would love to go but, saving money right now awaiting the status on my wife's job. They extended the drop dead date to be vaccinated to about mid Dec with the release for the job being Jan 4th if not. I guess they felt bad about Christmas with the first date of taking the vaccine being 22 Nov. and the release date being 9 Dec if you did not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT