ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. Currently 51°F and clear. Expect a high today of 81°F.

Watched college football yesterday. Happy our Cats won against Vandy. Seems like we let off the gas during 2nd half. UGA vs UT and Texas vs Kansas were also on the telly. With so much in-state talent and money available, I can't believe Horns lost at home against Jayhawks. Ha ha. Loved it. Wife: not so much.

Ton of chores await later after a walk.

Wishing happiness and continuing good health for all our fellow D-league members.

46258819_10155949563512452_1039950507373756416_n.png

1b95e25f0695ee513db5b16e46b87833.jpg

Unfortunately they'll play each other in the SEC Title game and the loss generated will sneak Cincy or some other team into the "playoff"

Networks' dream scenario is Cincy/OR/OSU/or Wake playing UGA or Bama in the title game. They want viewers. They don't care about the integrity of the product nor process.

Sorry for the negativity but y'all mentioned Keith Jackson and it makes me miss so much of what i once loved about the game.
If an 11-1 Bama beats a 12-0 UGA then both should be in. Cincy still has to beat SMU but even with a 12-0 record they may still be on the outside depending on how the other 1-loss teams end up.

If an 11-1 Bama beats a 12-0 UGA then both should be in. Cincy still has to beat SMU but even with a 12-0 record they may still be on the outside depending on how the other 1-loss teams end up.
Would love to see a 11-1 Bama game with 12-0 UGA for the SEC. Close...exciting game....3-4 OTs. Then, they'll come out of it #1 and #2 (or should). Then have a rematch in the NC game. All SEC....again.

I'm a pretty quiet guy. We were playing fast pitch softball. We beat a Korean team pretty bad in a double header and I'd had a good day and was feeling my oats pretty good. Our pitcher/manager pitched batting practice the next day. He had beat Eddie Feigner of the King and his Court Fame at one time. He bore down on me and I was lucky to foul off a few. I had a little humble pie that day.
EDIT: Sorry for the long post

I really enjoyed reading this post berniecarbo. I am a huge fan of fast pitch softball and saw some of the greatest players in fast pitch history while living in Clearwater, Florida Home of The Clearwater Bombers.

When I was a sophomore at Clearwater High I had two teachers who are in the Hall of Fame. One was my algebra II teacher, third baseman Doug Mason and the other was one of the greatest pitchers in fast pitch history, Herb Dudley. How good was Herb Dudley you ask.. Well

Coach Dudley won more than 1,000 games during his career and compiled a record of 28-9 in 16 ASA National Championships. Five times he earned ASA All-America honors and was named as the most valuable player in the 1949 and 1957 ASA National Championships.

He established the ASA national tourney single-game strikeout record striking out 55 batters in one game, a 21 innings game against Okmulgee Okla. The Bombers won the game 1-0. After beating Okmulgee, 1-0, and striking out 55 batters he pitched a total of five more games in the tournament, His total strikeouts was 130 batters, including 89 in 46 innings the last two nights.

Over a five-year period pitching for Clearwater Coach Dudley won 142 games and lost only 10 for the Bombers, striking out 2,475 batters, hurling 110 shutouts and 45 no-hitters. He hurled more than 100 no-hitters during his career. Dudley was so well respected by the Amateur Softball Association, the National Governing Body of Softball, that each year at the conclusion of the ASA Men’s Major Fast Pitch National Championship the Herb Dudley Outstanding Pitching Award is given to the tournaments most outstanding pitcher.

Coach Dudley was the best teacher I had in school. He was a devout Christian who would not pitch on Sunday. No telling what his record would have been had he pitched Sundays .I had him for Outside Physical Ed and he always pitched slow for us. No one could have touch the ball had he not. Even pitching slow you could not hit it if he did not want you to. He put so much spin on the ball it was moving to a point you had no idea where it was going and he also had a "drop pitch" that looked like it was going over your shoulder and dropped below your knees.

I know this post is long but I can't say enough words as to how fortunate I was having him as a teacher. He was among the greats of the greats.

https://flasportshof.org/fshofmember/herb-dudley/

http://www.alsfastball.com/index.ph...l,0&cntnt01articleid=1330&cntnt01returnid=137

Last edited:
The local talk is the Outback Bowl would be very happy to have UK. They know UK fans will be there. If the Cats can pull it off I will order through my season tickets because you get the very best seats available to fans.

I hope to see some D Leaguers in Tampa. But it is going to take a better effort than the end of the first half and all of the second half to get that bid. That Kentucky team would be fortunate to get a Music City Bowl bid.
If we win out we will go to Outback. They wanted us a couple of years ago but LSU or Auburn had the right to refusal for the game and they took it.

I just checked on flights from Louisville and right now you can get round trips to Tampa for $61.

I plan on going.

Here's one of my favorite clips ever. It's from one of best World Series games ever by two of the best annoucers ever. During the victory celebration, they kept quiet, as to not take away from the moment. That is pure class.

Loved Vin Scully doing baseball. Mr Price that used to do UK Baseball reminded me of him a bit. Mannerisms. Cadence. Color. Respect for the game. Made me want to listen on the radio even while at the game.

Snow finally quit. Looked like a Winter Wonderland. Everything was covered. Melting now due to the warm ground.
Good Lord. Did anybody watch that Tampax commercial?
Wasn't watching the game...but I know which commercial you were talking about. Assume it was during the game. Used to be advertisers/companies would target their commercials for the audience watching...i.e. beer during a ball game. Now I think it's all about getting thier 'woke' message out to....no matter who.
I watch no network TV these days...stream old shows on different streaming apps...Pluto, Roku 'live', Tubi, etc.
All the commercials are liberal 'woke'. The audience that streams an old 50s western, or 60s TV show is NOT interested in watching this crap.
And...that Tampax commercial has Chuckie Schumer's neice as the spokesperson...

amy-schumer-tampax*1200xx1920-1080-0-0.jpg

amy-schumer-tampax.jpg

It's been about 20 years for me. I think I was 41 last time I played. I was working in Pennsylvania and a young guy in the office wanted to play at the local Y. He was 22 and pretty athletic so I told him he would catch on pretty quickly. I took it easy on him and tried to teach him not to chase the ball.

After we had played nearly every day for a couple of weeks and I was letting him score enough points to keep him interested but never enough to risk losing, he goes to the office and starts bragging that I had been playing for 20 years and he had been playing for 2 weeks and he was going to beat me soon.

That afternoon we went to play and the scores were 21-0, 21-1, 21-2. I was getting tired toward the end and the 3 points he got were due to my mistakes on easy shots.

The next morning after our meeting I told the entire office to ask him about our racquetball game yesterday. We never played again.

Had a similar experience with a client I worked with 20 years ago. He mentioned that he was having a hard time taking off some weight and was looking for someone to play a sport against to get some exercise. Weights and treadmills weren't doing it for him (because he didn't do it right nor enough), so I asked if he would rather play basketball, tennis, or racquetball.

The place he worked out didn't have racquetball so he decided tennis would be better.

We went out to a local park to hit it around and keep moving, or so I thought. We were getting warmed up and he decided to smash one at me close to the net, so I asked him straight up if he was wanting to play a game or get exercise. He chose the latter. Two minutes later he hit one at me after a 2nd hop while I was picking up a tennis ball. Just grazed the back of my head. He thought that was really funny.

Every couple minutes he would rush the net to slam the ball down like he was Boris Becker or somebody. I got tired of chasing the ball down real quick, so I told him we were going to play a game and he could rush the net to his heart's content. He laughed and said he didn't want to embarrass me. I said I'd get over it.

Seems he thought since I was hitting to spots where he could get to it to keep his heart rate up and help him lose weight, that somehow he was better or needed to be better than me. 30 minutes of chasing down tennis balls from an almost egg-shaped John McEnroe had me pretty ticked off.

... He rushed the net grunting after his first underhanded lob serve, and I went easy on him. Lobbed it over his head and made him run for it. Put it where he could barely get to it for 10min, keeping the ball in play when he could return it, then started serving overhand for a few minutes. As soon as he broke a sweat, he wanted to go home, but I goaded him into playing for 35 more min even without many points in his favor.

I finally let him get a few good returns in, thinking he got the message, when I think he decided I must be wearing down. He charged the net with a fierce look on his face and I rocked one into his torso so hard it left a mark.

I didn't let up after that and started playing the lines until he stopped trying. When we were packing up he asked me if I'd played team tennis, which I hadn't, and said he was just messing with me when he hit me in the head with the ball. I told him I didn't come there to waste time, I came there to help him, and that what he should have seen as a kindness he instead saw as a weakness. Then said I hoped he'd understand the difference going forward so he'd reach his goals in the end.

I didn't keep him as a client because this behavior wasn't just a one time thing. Some people don't know when to get out of their own way nor do they know when to listen. He lost a lot of money not listening to professional advice, because once again he thought I was not aggressive enough. Yet, somehow he blamed me for the losses when he followed someone else's advice.

Lesson learned-
When people really tell/show you who they are, believe them.

My best friend now was also my best friend in the early 90's when we would play tennis all the time. He was really into it and I guess I was too because we always watched the matches that were on tv. I had beat him 2 sets a few times and he would quit because the match was over. Sometimes that was about 20 minutes worth of tennis. If I'm gonna get sweaty it's going to be for more than that.

So I started throwing games. I made sure we always played 3 sets and sometimes I would let him win the match to keep him hungry. I knew if I beat him too much he wouldn't play anymore. Macho thing.

To this day whenever we talk about tennis he talks about how evenly we were matched. I always agree.

In those days I was hitting serves that would go through the chain link fence.

Snow finally quit. Looked like a Winter Wonderland. Everything was covered. Melting now due to the warm ground.

Wasn't watching the game...but I know which commercial you were talking about. Assume it was during the game. Used to be advertisers/companies would target their commercials for the audience watching...i.e. beer during a ball game. Now I think it's all about getting thier 'woke' message out to....no matter who.
I watch no network TV these days...stream old shows on different streaming apps...Pluto, Roku 'live', Tubi, etc.
All the commercials are liberal 'woke'. The audience that streams an old 50s western, or 60s TV show is NOT interested in watching this crap.
And...that Tampax commercial has Chuckie Schumer's neice as the spokesperson...

amy-schumer-tampax*1200xx1920-1080-0-0.jpg

amy-schumer-tampax.jpg

Well, that is how I see her, except not necessarily unused. She disgusts me

I really enjoyed reading this post berniecarbo. I am a huge fan of fast pitch softball and saw some of the greatest players in fast pitch history while living in Clearwater, Florida Home of The Clearwater Bombers.

When I was a sophomore at Clearwater High I had two teachers who are in the Hall of Fame. One was my algebra II teacher, third baseman Doug Mason and the other was one of the greatest pitchers in fast pitch history, Herb Dudley. How good was Herb Dudley you ask.. Well

Coach Dudley won more than 1,000 games during his career and compiled a record of 28-9 in 16 ASA National Championships. Five times he earned ASA All-America honors and was named as the most valuable player in the 1949 and 1957 ASA National Championships.

He established the ASA national tourney single-game strikeout record striking out 55 batters in one game, a 21 innings game against Okmulgee Okla. The Bombers won the game 1-0. After beating Okmulgee, 1-0, and striking out 55 batters he pitched a total of five more games in the tournament, His total strikeouts was 130 batters, including 89 in 46 innings the last two nights.

Over a five-year period pitching for Clearwater Coach Dudley won 142 games and lost only 10 for the Bombers, striking out 2,475 batters, hurling 110 shutouts and 45 no-hitters. He hurled more than 100 no-hitters during his career. Dudley was so well respected by the Amateur Softball Association, the National Governing Body of Softball, that each year at the conclusion of the ASA Men’s Major Fast Pitch National Championship the Herb Dudley Outstanding Pitching Award is given to the tournaments most outstanding pitcher.

Coach Dudley was the best teacher I had in school. He was a devout Christian who would not pitch on Sunday. No telling what his record would have been had he pitched Sundays .I had him for Outside Physical Ed and he always pitched slow for us. No one could have touch the ball had he not. Even pitching slow you could not hit it if he did not want you to. He put so much spin on the ball it was moving to a point you had no idea where it was going and he also had a "drop pitch" that looked like it was going over your shoulder and dropped below your knees.

I know this post is long but I can't say enough words as to how fortunate I was having him as a teacher. He was among the greats of the greats.

http://www.alsfastball.com/index.ph...l,0&cntnt01articleid=1330&cntnt01returnid=137
Yeah, a mediocre fast pitch pitcher is pretty easy to hit. I played some baseball against a guy who made AAA ball and would've made MLB except for injury. I'd rather have hit against him than a good fast pitch pitcher.

Would love to see a 11-1 Bama game with 12-0 UGA for the SEC. Close...exciting game....3-4 OTs. Then, they'll come out of it #1 and #2 (or should). Then have a rematch in the NC game. All SEC....again.
Knowing the assholes who have the votes; they would make Alabama 5 and Georgia 4.

Just like last year; how in hell did Notre Dame and Ohio State end up in the top four? Florida would have killed them.

Here is a map of the sunken Japanese ships during WWII. That generation knew how to fight a war.

248593634_1964776097029464_5050097589409857968_n.jpg
My father in law was Richard Lee Bardin.

He joined the U.S. Navy on his 17th birthday, July 5 1943. He survived the crossing of the Atlantic multiple times and then when the war in Europe was won they sent him to the Pacific. That is when his personal hell began.

He got there just in time for the Kamikazes to hit. He died in 2006 promising me that if he ever met a "Jap" he would kill him. They damaged him bad. He hated them.

The Japanese paid a heavy price for their culture without a doubt, but during that process they damaged a bunch of my family. After WWII my folks hated Japs. The Japanese did not fight fair. They always sucker punched. Little pricks as my family saw it.

Richard, my father in law, wanted to continue bombing the Japs with A bombs until we could not make any more.

After the war he worked for the Atomic Energy Commission wanting to make bombs to drop on Japan.

Kamikazes make permanent enemies.

Never played fast pitch softball, always slow pitch. Went to Nationals a couple of times and played C West Nationals in 2004. You have to place 1st or 2nd in your state or 1st or 2nd in a major tournament to get an invite. Below is the team picture from Midland TX. There were many teams there from all over the west and midwest including a team out of Hawaii who were some big dudes that laughed at our team because most of us were small compared to them. We beat them to put them in the losers bracket and then they went on to lose again. The tournament was 4 days long with around 100 teams there. We placed 4th overall with the 3 teams ahead of us all out of California. I am on the far left as you look at the picture.

20190120-164937.jpg

My father in law was Richard Lee Bardin.

He joined the U.S. Navy on his 17th birthday, July 5 1943. He survived the crossing of the Atlantic multiple times and then when the war in Europe was won they sent him to the Pacific. That is when his personal hell began.

He got there just in time for the Kamikazes to hit. He died in 2006 promising me that if he ever met a "Jap" he would kill him. They damaged him bad. He hated them.

The Japanese paid a heavy price for their culture without a doubt, but during that process they damaged a bunch of my family. After WWII my folks hated Japs. The Japanese did not fight fair. They always sucker punched. Little pricks as my family saw it.

Richard, my father in law, wanted to continue bombing the Japs with A bombs until we could not make any more.

After the war he worked for the Atomic Energy Commission wanting to make bombs to drop on Japan.

Kamikazes make permanent enemies.
I can remember in the 50s (imagine you can too) how people reacted to Japanese products...in particular transistor radios, but others too. Remember a couple of guys who were friends of my mom and dad's who wouldn't buy Japanese stuff...called it junk. As did my dad...even though he fought in Europe.

Never played fast pitch softball, always slow pitch. Went to Nationals a couple of times and played C West Nationals in 2004. You have to place 1st or 2nd in your state or 1st or 2nd in a major tournament to get an invite. Below is the team picture from Midland TX. There were many teams there from all over the west and midwest including a team out of Hawaii who were some big dudes that laughed at our team because most of us were small compared to them. We beat them to put them in the losers bracket and then they went on to lose again. The tournament was 4 days long with around 100 teams there. We placed 4th overall with the 3 teams ahead of us all out of California. I am on the far left as you look at the picture.

20190120-164937.jpg
I quit playing in my late thirties. Couldn't step into the pitch like you need to because of a bad leg and that's the time I started working for myself. There wasn't enough time for business, ball, and family. Something had to go.

I can remember in the 50s (imagine you can too) how people reacted to Japanese products...in particular transistor radios, but others too. Remember a couple of guys who were friends of my mom and dad's who wouldn't buy Japanese stuff...called it junk. As did my dad...even though he fought in Europe.
This was the norm around me. Four uncles served in the South Pacific all were in combat. My dad's cousin was a Marine and POW. He almost starved to death and came back weighing 88 lbs He was not short either. He had no muscle on his body. Dad said you could count every bone in his spine and his pelvis stuck out covered by a thin layer of skin. No fat or muscle anywhere. He could not walk for 18 months after the war due to weakness in his legs. He had 14 broken bones from being beat while a prisoner of war. After he returned to America he had to have surgery to re-break and set them because the Japanese did not treat him. They just beat him and threw him into a bamboo hut.

A story I may have told but one I will never forget is when I was about 7 years old. It would have been 1950. My uncle was on leave from the Navy, he joined in 1942 at age 16. Lied about his age. We were in line at Woolsworth Department store and he told me to pick out a toy and he would buy it for me. I picked out a small tin car. I handed it to him and he look at the bottom. Made In Japan. He threw it across the store and said "I fit those SOB's and will never buy their junk". The dislike of Japanese immediately after WWII was off the chart.

I quit playing in my late thirties. Couldn't step into the pitch like you need to because of a bad leg and that's the time I started working for myself. There wasn't enough time for business, ball, and family. Something had to go.
These were my softball playing days. I was probably 40 in this picture. We sure had fun. Our winter season started the first of November and ran through March. Then we took of April and started the summer season in May and went through September. Great times and great team mates.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teRvuVImrfJhqnkhZKVVxtLMaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA

These were my softball playing days. I was probably 40 in this picture. We sure had fun. Our winter season started the first of November and ran through March. Then we took of April and started the summer season in May and went through September. Great times and great team mates.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teRvuVImrfJhqnkhZKVVxtLMaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA
I was 58 in the first picture (far right as you look at it), and 61 in the second picture (sitting behind trophy). state champions those year as well as many other years. Younger years B, C, D, States and latter years were E States. I have about 10 or 11 State titles here. 5 guys in the second picture are over 50. Both pictures are in Norman OK and in walking distance from Lloyd Noble (OU basketball center and Gaylord Family Memorial Football stadium)

BOB-2015.png

IMG-3331-2.jpg

I reckon the 2 things I miss most are playing softball and drinking beer. I quit the softball for the reasons I mentioned. Quit the beer because I didn't want the daughter to see it in the house. After Viet Nam, I drank way to much for way to long and I just didn't want to set a bad example for her. I reckon she turned out well, so it was probably a good choice.

I reckon the 2 things I miss most are playing softball and drinking beer. I quit the softball for the reasons I mentioned. Quit the beer because I didn't want the daughter to see it in the house. After Viet Nam, I drank way to much for way to long and I just didn't want to set a bad example for her. I reckon she turned out well, so it was probably a good choice.

Sir,
I did the exact same thing while my children were growing up. From the time they were born until they all left home I never drank. (In front of or behind them. Never had it in the house and never drank away from home.) I never allowed R rated movies in my house either though a Jackie Chan movie may make it past, you could count the R-rated movies in my home in twenty or twenty five or so years on one hand.

When my children first saw me drink in front of them was at my son's home in Gainesville, FL. when my Darling and I got back from Korea in 2015. My youngest was 25.

I still do not publicize drinking except to cut up on this site. I don't really hide it but I don't flaunt it either. My whole reasoning is I may cause someone else to drink that cannot handle it.

Kudo's to you Sir. I know it was worth it...

First good week for my Bengals in a while - they win the bye week as Ravens and Browns get thumped and the Steelers tie the winless Lions.

The NFL seems as mired in parity (make that mediocrity) as any time in my life. I just watched the Super Bowl champs and Tom Brady play like rancid dog meat against the ex-Redskins, the team I hate the most because of their toxic owner and capitulation to PC BS.

I’m not sure what team can be counted on to perform at a high level in a given week.

First good week for my Bengals in a while - they win the bye week as Ravens and Browns get thumped and the Steelers tie the winless Lions.

The NFL seems as mired in parity (make that mediocrity) as any time in my life. I just watched the Super Bowl champs and Tom Brady play like rancid dog meat against the ex-Redskins, the team I hate the most because of their toxic owner and capitulation to PC BS.

I’m not sure what team can be counted on to perform at a high level in a given week.
I am not a Green Bay fan but, I like Aaron Rogers plus his go to man is Randall Cobb and I hope he throws it in the face of all of these whiners out there. I think he lost one sponsor but, State Farm said they support his decision.

I’m enjoying all the baseball/softball stories. I was a decent, not special, baseball player in high school - a tall, rangy SS at 6’4”, 170, and then a tall, 210 softball SS with decent power in my 20s and 30s.

The one feature I had that was somewhat special was a very good arm. I could play a very deep shortstop which let me get to a lot of balls and still throw guys out.

Then I busted my rotator cuff. I was already 40 and decided not to get it repaired and go through rehab. I just hung it up.

A couple years later, I was in Afghanistan, and my Pashtun translator, a tall willowy guy, started whipping rocks out into the Kabul River with a pretty good arm. I picked up a few and tossed them, but my bum arm was getting little velocity behind it. Too late I realized this was a macho competition for Rafi, the translator and I had fallen into his trap. He finally turned to me and said “Mr Mike, you are big but you are weak.”

I laughed but it was a bit humiliating. I eventually earned his respect, but that’s another story for another day.

My uncle, Marv Farrar, played for the 1939 ASA champ Nick Carr Boosters out of Covington, KY.

20190120-164937.jpg
Makes sense. That's as close as the rest could tolerate your smell. :cool:

This was the norm around me. Four uncles served in the South Pacific all were in combat.
OK, as long as we're proudly bragging, Dad & eight uncles served in WWII: His 3 brothers & BIL, Mom's brother & 3 BIL's. Eight bronze stars (Three for Dad) & two purple hearts that I know of. RIP. I miss them all. 🗽

Last edited:
Now that it gets dark early I have to bring out my trusty headlamp when grilling out. I can without question recommend DanForce headlamps. Mine is USB rechargeable and puts out the lumens like you wouldn't believe. Adjustable lighting options just seal the deal.

danforce_headlamp_1.jpg

Now that it gets dark early I have to bring out my trusty headlamp when grilling out. I can without question recommend DanForce headlamps. Mine is USB rechargeable and puts out the lumens like you wouldn't believe. Adjustable lighting options just seal the deal.

danforce_headlamp_1.jpg

A mighty-weak (Oxy-moronish I know...) fire for grilling if I do say so myself... 😁 (Strong light but....weak fire...)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT