ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

This old boy sure can sing and does a nice job of fishing too.

240594045_378934453603592_1966097046754340187_n.jpg

My nephew doctor has always said that the doctors in the VA or on bases are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to med school. Many/some I guess go to med school in Puerto Rico or other Caribbean islands.

I've heard good things about the VA here and in Madison WI. Can you get treatment while you are traveling and maybe "happen" to have need of it then?

An old family friend of my wife that also happens to be an old boyfriend of hers is in town. They're going out for lunch tomorrow. That's cool by me. They asked me to join but NO THANKS. Besides, the PI is costing me a fortune.

Seriously. I trust my wife.

I'm sure it will make her love you even more after spending a lunch with her ex. Any time I run into one of mine it makes me appreciate my wife so much more.

An uncle was a WW2 vet. Saved the lives of several of his buddies in battle. He died several years ago. His wife swore VA doctors messed up his meds and killed him.

That's not just a VA problem.

Forget when it happened, but bout 15 years ago they made some more changes to the way they keep statistics. At least that's when I learned about it. May have happened well before that. The stats they quoted on tv throughout the late 80s and 90s blaming tobacco, street drugs, guns, cancer, and alcohol for deaths were being overtaken by a strong category if its own- medical deaths.

The data got close to overtaking one of the big players, so they divided the category into 2 parts. Still kept rising so they divided it again, rinse, repeat.... You get the idea. Now there are many categories for what should all come under medical deaths.

I imagine it depends on the part of the country you live. I have heard the horror stories, Arizona being the one that comes to mind. When President Trump was in office he made the VA a priority and I understand it improved overall. We have a huge amount of retired military around here including a lot of generals and admirals. All of the Vets I talked to swear by the VA Hospitals and say they have state of the art treatment and excellent doctors and nurses.

We have two VA hospitals very close to where I live, one in Gainesville and the other in Pinellas county. The one in Gainesville serves South Georgia and North Florida and is located next to The University of Florida Health System (Shands) It is also a teaching hospital with 5,800 medical professionals Bay Pines is in Pinellas County and it has an excellent reputation. A lot of ex military brass make sure it is first class. A former congressman, Bill Young was one of the biggest advocates for Veterans in congress and he made sure it was the best it could be. After he died they named it for him. William T Young . I do not use the VA but I would not hesitate and would have full confidence I was being treated by excellent medical providers. Referring to the local hospitals.

Now I am not sure about other areas but I imagine it depends on location. One of my brother in laws lives in Estill County , KY and he insists on going to the Veterans Hospital in Lexington. He let me know one time they saved his life so I best not say anything bad about them. :)

https://www.baypines.va.gov/BAYPINES/about/index.asp

https://www.northflorida.va.gov/locations/gainesville

My son is an RN in the Gainesville VA hospital. Works in the GI area... Has to do his residency to become a Nurse Practitioner. (Whatever the correct terms for his clinical requirements.)

I still see the VA attending to current ailments versus the longevity factor of treatments.

Good morning D-League.

Had an early morning doctor's appointment at my wife's insistence. Over recent years I've had a few welts and moles and other oddities pop up acros the landscape of my body, a couple of which looked like the Googled version of melanoma.

So, the guy looks me over for thirty seconds or so, says it is all benign and "what happens to you as you get less young." Embarrassing.

He asked if any of them bothered me or ever got irritated and I said one spot on my neck that falls where a collared shirt gets buttoned when I wear a tie. It gets sore when rubbed.

He says, "I can burn that off with a little local anesthetic but it'll sting a little." He was correct, but what was really weird was the strong smell of burning flesh that is still in my nostrils. That's as much of me as I want to be incinerated unless I decide to go for cremation down the road.
I have much success with two different products.....one is called Skincell. It has made some pretty big moles dissapear on me.......I had one on my collar line also........after 11 weeks its is all but gone.... The other product which I highly recommend is ENDtag by Hempvanna. I had a skin tag growing on my eye lid......almost on the edge......it got so big that it was pulling my eye lid down...........I used the ENDtag and the damn thing is gone.......it took about 8 weeks longer than they advertised.............I have a personal aversion to doctors........don't trust them any further than I could pick them up and toss them.......

Most data repositories now don't even lost medical related deaths in their stats. Went to do a simple search and all of the data that pops up hasn't got but a casual reference to the topic. Went to a different search engine and I got one quick link.

In 2016 medical error ALONE was the 3rd leading cause of death in this country. It's not even listed on any official gov data for download I found in my first search.

That doesn't include the following categories that appeared since the 90s. -
1. medical malpractice
2. Infections acquired during hospital stay
3. Post surgical or other procedural complications
4. Prescription drug deaths
5. Vaccines adverse event deaths

These are combined into other categories or not listed at all as a cause of death on many sites. When they are all combined they are THE #1 cause of death in this country.

From 1990-1992 mortality due to disease DECREASED. Across 15 disease categories. The medical deaths however kept the pace of total deaths from dropping. It's no coincidence that the reversal in death rates due to disease started about then as the types of dangerous food and drug products that the ffda previously had been banning were reinstated or approved at that time.

Aspartame for example, after previously failing to be approved, was fast-tracked before the gulf war because of political pressure and lobbying. Dyes that were known carcinogens were slowly allowed back into the food supply. Cigarettes got warning labels and were demonized, but not banned, and trade deals leading manufacturers to seek to move operations to other countries. Glyphosate...

It's our gov and our med industry that are doing us in

It is a sunny 65.5°F here. That is good. My landscaper started doing the mulch yesterday afternoon and hopefully will finish up today. They are also trimming my bald cypress tree that is taking over. I have been trying to get this done since early May. I hopefully got a good group to do it from now on. They have a bunch of good equipment.

Check that growth out Warrior Cat. Spend some of your own money if necessary. (Your wife paid me to type that! :) )

Good morning from ATX. Currently 80°F and partly cloudy. Steamy. Looking at 100°F for today's high. We hit triple digits yesterday for only the 6th time this year so far. According to long-range weather forecasts just now, we may experience high temps above 100°F until middle next week. Ugh!

No open ICU beds available in central Texas. I wonder how this little detail might impact our return to work scheduled for Friday, October 1st?

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

maxresdefault-1.jpg

Morning all. Air has a tinge of Fall in it. It's a cool mid 50s out now heading up to mid/upper 70s. No humidity.
A little early for Fall type weather, but the front(s) cleared out the heat and humidity. Wish it was like this year round.

Little more putting up and cleaning up to do. May mow some grass for the first time in 2/3 weeks. Decide when I get to it.

Y'all have a good day.
No tinge here just cringe because still high 90's to 100° here for the next few days or more.

I have much success with two different products.....one is called Skincell. It has made some pretty big moles dissapear on me.......I had one on my collar line also........after 11 weeks its is all but gone.... The other product which I highly recommend is ENDtag by Hempvanna. I had a skin tag growing on my eye lid......almost on the edge......it got so big that it was pulling my eye lid down...........I used the ENDtag and the damn thing is gone.......it took about 8 weeks longer than they advertised.............I have a personal aversion to doctors........don't trust them any further than I could pick them up and toss them.......
Hempvanna almost sounds like a lawnmower for Cheech and Chong. (use Cheech's voice for the next line) Wow man you can smoke this and remove all unwanted hairs and skin tags. I wonder if it comes with a collector bag.

Last edited:
It is a sunny 65.5°F here. That is good. My landscaper started doing the mulch yesterday afternoon and hopefully will finish up today. They are also trimming my bald cypress tree that is taking over. I have been trying to get this done since early May. I hopefully got a good group to do it from now on. They have a bunch of good equipment.

Check that growth out Warrior Cat. Spend some of your own money if necessary. (Your wife paid me to type that! :) )
Yeah, she probably did, when I broke my hand (2 bones snapped in two) I was still in the Army and they put me in a splint and left me that way for 7 days because they were booked up in surgeries. They could have referred me out but did not. Was not with my wife (single at the time) and she said that she would have marched me downtown to one of the 2 hospitals we have here and got it fixed had we been together at that time. Bad thing was it was my right hand and I drove a standard shift Ranger at the time so, I would have to quickly take my hand off of the wheel, shift to the next gear and quickly regrip the wheel. Dressing for that week was pain in the ass too not the mention the hand.

241326699_4266279603487591_8236254984106570821_n.jpg

This is the picture Cordmaker sent me yesterday morning and I did not see it. Sorry Cord.
Thanks Bert, I just wanted the D to see the deck I built, Mrs. M is proud of it, but she really like the way I built the steps!! The stained-glass is a panel I made so people could see what different pieces of glass looks like. Over there on the left side, the deck is level, it's just the ground has a dip in it!!!

I get rid of the tags by tying them off with a strand of hair (not mine of course) or a piece of thread, gone in no time!!

Thanks Bert, I just wanted the D to see the deck I built, Mrs. M is proud of it, but she really like the way I built the steps!! The stained-glass is a panel I made so people could see what different pieces of glass looks like. Over there on the left side, the deck is level, it's just the ground has a dip in it!!!
Nice job. Looks great.

@AustinTXCat

Speaking of coconuts, did you ever eat a fresh picked coconut while you were in Panama Ft. Sherman? I did and it is completely different than ones sitting in the store. The ones from the store are dry and you can only eat so much but, the ones fresh from the tree I could eat the whole thing. Jungle training in 81 or 82 we had a whole task force there for 30 days. There was a Staff Sergeant there who was Samoan and a big guy. He saw me throwing big rocks up into the coconut trees trying to knock one down and he said to me: "Let me show you how we do it." He commenced to climbing the tree bare footed using hands and feet to secure himself, picked a few off throwing them my direction. When he got down, he shucked them by banging them against large rocks and cracked them the same way. Dude was good at it. We drank the milk and at all of the coconut.

Another thing while I was there is I noticed that the animals were much more colorful than you see in the Zoo. Toucans were brightly colored and beautiful. Coatimundi's were mean too if you got around there areas.

Our deck faces west......I have thought about a similar panel to block the sun and build a set of shelves on the east side of it for my orchids.......I was thinking of making a frame out of some teak.........just like a big window sash........Good looking deck.........the rise on the steps look kind of tall for some of us old people...........

Our deck faces west......I have thought about a similar panel to block the sun and build a set of shelves on the east side of it for my orchids.......I was thinking of making a frame out of some teak.........just like a big window sash........Good looking deck.........the rise on the steps look kind of tall for some of us old people...........
The rise is not bad, hand rail helps!!! I got the plans for the steps and flower boxes off a site called Ana White, she has some good ideas!!!

@AustinTXCat

Speaking of coconuts, did you ever eat a fresh picked coconut while you were in Panama Ft. Sherman? I did and it is completely different than ones sitting in the store. The ones from the store are dry and you can only eat so much but, the ones fresh from the tree I could eat the whole thing. Jungle training in 81 or 82 we had a whole task force there for 30 days. There was a Staff Sergeant there who was Samoan and a big guy. He saw me throwing big rocks up into the coconut trees trying to knock one down and he said to me: "Let me show you how we do it." He commenced to climbing the tree bare footed using hands and feet to secure himself, picked a few off throwing them my direction. When he got down, he shucked them by banging them against large rocks and cracked them the same way. Dude was good at it. We drank the milk and at all of the coconut.

Another thing while I was there is I noticed that the animals were much more colorful than you see in the Zoo. Toucans were brightly colored and beautiful. Coatimundi's were mean too if you got around there areas.
I have had coconut right off of the tree many, many times. We had coconuts in our yard when I lived a little South of here. They do not do good this far North. You start to see them in abundance South of Tampa Bay around Bradenton, Sarasota and below.

As a kid I would climb the tree (barefoot) and knock off a few then take a machette to husk it. Once we have the coconut out we would take a Phillips screw driver and knock out the eyes then drink the milk straight from the coconut. Once the milk was gone we would take the machettte and split the coconut open to eat the meat.

A lot of roadside stands sell coconuts around here and for a treat we buy one and take it home. Always shake it real good to make sure it has milk and is not dried out. Good eating . Here is a quick video to show how easy it is

I have had coconut right off of the tree many, many times. We had coconuts in our yard when I lived a little South of here. They do not do good this far North. You start to see them in abundance South of Tampa Bay around Bradenton, Sarasota and below.

As a kid I would climb the tree (barefoot) and knock off a few then take a machette to husk it. Once we have the coconut out we would take a Phillips screw driver and knock out the eyes then drink the milk straight from the coconut. Once the milk was gone we would take the machettte and split the coconut open to eat the meat.

A lot of roadside stands sell coconuts around here and for a treat we buy one and take it home. Always shake it real good to make sure it has milk and is not dried out. Good eating . Here is a quick video to show how easy it is

Yeah, I love coconut.....in just about everything. On my trips to Cambodia, we would stop everyday and a little fruit/veggie stand and pick up a big "young" green coconut; chop a hole in it and drink it up. it's one of the best things you can have on a hot/muggy day.

Fine looking deck cord. Did a really good job.

@AustinTXCat

Ate fresh either down in Panama ('81) or Puerto Rico ('82). Honestly can't remember which. Yes, delicious as I recall.

Remember those monkey's down in Panama? Little pests.

Last edited:
Ate fresh either down in Panama ('81) or Puerto Rico ('82). Honestly can't remember which. Yes, delicious as I recall.

Remember those monkey's down in Panama? Little pests.
Had fresh coconuts in Panama when visiting my wife's aunt, who is doing the Ex-Pat thing down there. The monkeys are nasty, but I did get a kick out of the elusive tree sloth. We spotted a few of those weirdos. Also enjoyed more than I expected to transiting the canal. A touristy trip I'd do again.

Had fresh coconuts in Panama when visiting my wife's aunt, who is doing the Ex-Pat thing down there. The monkeys are nasty, but I did get a kick out of the elusive tree sloth. We spotted a few of those weirdos. Also enjoyed more than I expected to transiting the canal. A touristy trip I'd do again.

A Racist and a Bigot....

DependentTornBrocketdeer-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
I'd so love a return trip.

Back then, I'd just graduated from basic. One of my drill sergeants had been stationed down there prior to going on the trail and becoming our drill. He told many stories about surviving out in the jungle. Took leave in sunny Florida at mom's FL house before reporting to my unit. Thought I was ready and acclimated for Panama. Boy, was I sure wrong.

Totally unprepared for the mosquitos despite loads of bug "juice", leftover insect repellent from Vietnam. Learned a valuable lesson after sleeping a few nights without netting. We were issued jungle fatigues. Seems like the bugs ate totally through our clothing.

Yeah, the monkeys. One buddy brought a slingshot. He shot one. Except for fights at bars, I'd never seen so much hell raised before and since. Nasty little jerks. Whole jungle came alive. They bombed the crap out of my squad. Seemed like hundreds, while in retrospect, perhaps 8-10.

Sweated my butt off. Yeah, ha ha, some cute Señoritas in town after we finished with JOTC rotation. Had fun. Good experience.

I'd so love a return trip.

Back then, I'd just graduated from basic. One of my drill sergeants had been stationed down there prior to going on the trail and becoming our drill. He told many stories about surviving out in the jungle. Took leave in sunny Florida at mom's FL house before reporting to my unit. Thought I was ready and acclimated for Panama. Boy, was I sure wrong.

Totally unprepared for the mosquitos despite loads of bug "juice", leftover insect repellent from Vietnam. Learned a valuable lesson after sleeping a few nights without netting. We were issued jungle fatigues. Seems like the bugs ate totally through our clothing.

Yeah, the monkeys. One buddy brought a slingshot. He shot one. Except for fights at bars, I'd never seen so much hell raised before and since. Nasty little jerks. Whole jungle came alive. They bombed the crap out of my squad. Seemed like hundreds, while in retrospect, perhaps 8-10.

Sweated my butt off. Yeah, ha ha, some cute Señoritas in town after we finished with JOTC rotation. Had fun. Good experience.
It’s an interesting place. If looking for a long but fascinating read, I’d recommend David McCullough’s Path Between the Seas about the horrific struggle to build the Panama Canal. What a desperate undertaking. The French lost thousands of lives before having to give up. America didn’t have it easy either.

It’s an interesting place. If looking for a long but fascinating read, I’d recommend David McCullough’s Path Between the Seas about the horrific struggle to build the Panama Canal. What a desperate undertaking. The French lost thousands of lives before having to give up. America didn’t have it easy either.
If I remember correctly -- not looking it up -- Walter Reed became famous for his pioneering treatment efforts down in the old Canal Zone. John McCain was born there.

Years ago, I discussed travel back to USA with NCOs who actually drove from Panama to Texas. In those days, ports of entry by air were Miami and Houston for US military. I recall a couple gents mentioning the journey was an 10-12-day drive. All who discussed the trip with me were Spanish speakers. Crazy stuff.

Looks very good. I'm helpless on do it yourself things. Dad was good at it, but baseball was to important to learn how to fix things, or I thought so at the time. That kind of knowledge would come in handy these days.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 78°F, clear and calm. Today's high could reach 98°F.

Watched Ohio St. vs Minnesota last night. Buckeyes beat them Gophers up.

Wife watching Dragnet right now. Funny how I remember this particular episode from way back in the 60s.

Hopefully work is a quiet one today. 3-day weekend coming up.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

69765723_2671098879576316_7705381206895886336_n.jpg

Good Friday morning D-League.

Looks like a nice day ahead just waiting on the sun to get up and rise It's currently 74° and skies are clear. We should hit 84° and rain chances are 20% late this afternoon. I am flying out this morning to go to my cousin's birthday party which will be held at Opry Land. It should be a nice day to fly.

I trust all have a nice day. I see Larry is now a hurricane so we will watch his journey to the states. The tracking shows him above Florida and headed to the East Coast. Wind speed 125 mph, CAT 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT