ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

178463762_3978485472266783_7916812733977440777_n.png

Pebbles, My Guard Dog... He guarded all the food in the house... (He is buried at my house in Summerville, SC.)

19466672_1701118889901684_3604651387571143396_o.jpg

That was at our Home in San Antonio...

This is our house in South Carolina (Summerville) He is about buried exactly on that spot as he loved that place for some reason... Just about two feet or so to the left of that picture... He died in my arms...

12970830_1262072120473032_4696282590488241707_o.jpg
Brandie had to be put down 12 July this year 6 years old. She had a very aggressive cancer. She was the care taker of the other dogs and me. She would make sure to clean my face every night before bed. Used open her mouth and grab my hand and walk with me when I moved throughout the house. She did not have a mean bone in her body. Very docile and sweet. Died in my arms at the vets office. They had to give her extra sedatives and anesthesia because she kept trying to get up. She wasn't ready to go. I miss her.

20180707-093513.jpg

That's a good question, Sawnee.

In the past 30 years I've been around the military in Somalia, Haiti, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and other warm-to-scorching places and I never saw salt pills. I remember in Haiti the 10th Mountain Division guys suffering in the heat because the Brigade commander insisted that they wear their woodland BDUs buttoned all the way down on the wrist. Did you ever read about Col. David Hackworth, highly decorated solider from Korea to Vietnam, turned war reporter? I knew Hack pretty well, and he made a terrible stink in articles he wrote about making the soldiers stay so buttoned up in the heat.
Col. Hackworth was a legend. Soldier's soldier. Awesome that you knew him. He's right about remaining covered in the heat.

Salt tablets: Available for us in Panama, 1981, as I remember. Never saw 'em over in the desert.

Col. Hackworth was a legend. Soldier's soldier. Awesome that you knew him. He's right about remaining covered in the heat.

Salt tablets: Available for us in Panama, 1981, as I remember. Never saw 'em over in the desert.
Austin, I was very lucky to get to know Col. Hackworth on a few assignments in the early 1990s.

Here’s a story that was told to me by 2-3 people I trust who witnessed it. I don’t believe this went public.

During the air campaign of Desert Storm the A-holes from CNN were trying to ratchet up the drama by exaggerating the danger from SCUD attacks. One day a bunch of reporters are lounging around a hotel swimming pool when the SCUD alarm goes off. Everyone ignores it, knowing SCUDS are wildly inaccurate - except a CNN crew led by Charles Jaco who clambers up on the roof in gas masks and acts like this is the London Blitz.

When the CNN crew walks back down to the pool, where everyone else has continued to play cards and drink lemonade, Hackworth walks over and grabs the TV reporter by the shirt and yells in his face, “you better knock off the bullshit. You are scaring my grandkids.” I’m told the TV puke as we called them practically messed his pants.

Last edited:
Okay folks, I am about to get into trouble on the D-League; however, here are my views of salt, blood fat and other things.

I had a heart attack on 8-9-2010. My total cholesterol the morning that I had the attack was a whopping 119 (they want it below 200). Most folks would kill for cholesterol like mine the day I have a heart attack. If your liver demands that you have high cholesterol, then you will have high cholesterol. Your DNA has more to do with you having a heart attack than cholesterol. My mother-in-law died of heart disease and never had elevated cholesterol. Her cholesterol was low like mine. My dad had high cholesterol and died of a bad vein in his brain, no heart attack, no build up in the veins or anything associated with cholesterol clogged veins, just one vein in his brain that blew up because it was an aneurysm.

Salt: our bodies function on salts. Your body uses ions to transfer all sorts of chemicals through your blood and into our cells. There are several metallic salts that our bodies use, google them. Sodium and calcium ions are gobbled up by our bodies as they need them to make us work. With an imbalance of salts, we have muscle cramps and all sorts of problems; plus, our cells do not get fed.

Blood pressure problems are caused by all sorts of things, not just salt. I have had open heart surgery and I have blood pressure problems; however, I have never been restricted on salt intake. There are many complex reasons that folks have elevated blood pressure, and most are not caused by too much salt intake. It is easy to say take less salt when the real reason for the elevated blood pressure is in other places.

We are complex chemical machines.

We must study our problems and adjust our lives to what we, and our doctors, think is appropriate. Don't buy too much on shit that is put out by popular media. :)

Last edited:
Brandie had to be put down 12 July this year 6 years old. She had a very aggressive cancer. She was the care taker of the other dogs and me. She would make sure to clean my face every night before bed. Used open her mouth and grab my hand and walk with me when I moved throughout the house. She did not have a mean bone in her body. Very docile and sweet. Died in my arms at the vets office. They had to give her extra sedatives and anesthesia because she kept trying to get up. She wasn't ready to go. I miss her.

20180707-093513.jpg
I remember her.

Okay folks, I am about to get into trouble on the D-League; however, here are my views of salt, blood fat and other things.

I had a heart attack on 8-9-2010. My total cholesterol the morning that I had the attack was a whopping 119 (they want it below 200). Most folks would kill for cholesterol like mine the day I have a heart attack. If your liver demands that you have high cholesterol, then you will have high cholesterol. Your DNA has more to do with you having a heart attack than cholesterol. My mother-in-law died of heart disease and never had elevated cholesterol. Her cholesterol was low like mine. My dad had high cholesterol and died of a bad vein in his brain, no heart attack, no build up in the veins or anything associated with cholesterol clogged veins, just one vein in his brain that blew up because it was an aneurysm.

Salt: our bodies function on salts. Your body uses ions to transfer all sorts of chemicals through your blood and into our cells. There are several metallic salts that our bodies use, google them. Sodium and calcium ions are gobbled up by our bodies as they need them to make us work. With an imbalance of salts, we have muscle cramps and all sorts of problems; plus, our cells do not get fed.

Blood pressure problems are caused by all sorts of things, not just salt. I have had open heart surgery and I have blood pressure problems; however, I have never been restricted on salt intake. There are many complex reasons that folks have elevated blood pressure, and most are not caused by too much salt intake. It is easy to say take less salt when the real reason for the elevated blood pressure is in other places.

We must study our problems and adjust our lives to what we, and our doctors, think is appropriate. Don't buy too much on shit that is put out by popular media. :)
Or, we could just live it up, praise God for our lives and then go when he says come home. Me, I am for enjoying the foods that I love and hope I can for a while more to come. I have never up to this point changed my diet. My wife has on occasion tried to get me to do so but, to no avail. I am stubborn and want to enjoy my life.

By the way Bert, you are not in trouble with me. Your post was spot on. DNA and other factors contribute to a lot of what happens to us. I have in recent years been reading a bit on foods and which ones are better for you but, if they don't meet the taste test, what's the point. If you cannot eat what you enjoy life is not as good.

Austin, I was very lucky to get to know Col. Hackworth on a few assignments in the early 1990s.

Here’s a story that was told to me by 2-3 people I trust who witnessed it, that I don’t believe went public.

During the air campaign of Desert Storm the A-holes from CNN were trying to ratchet up the drama by exaggerating the danger from SCUD attacks. One day a bunch of reporters are lounging around a hotel swimming pool when the SCUD alarm goes off. Everyone ignores it, knowing SCUDS are wildly inaccurate - except a CNN crew led by Charles Jaecko who clambers up on the roof in gas masks and acts like this is the London Blitz.

When the CNN crew walks back down to the pool, Hackworth walks over and grabs the TV reporter by the shirt and says, “you better knock off the bullshit. You are scaring my grandkids.” I’m told the TV puke as we called them practically messed his pants.
Reminds me of my first night in Viet Nam. We landed in Cam Ranh Bay about 9 or10 at night on a Flying Tiger. You could see and hear the incoming rockets. They herded us into a large quonset hut. It looked like a basketball gym with a large open floor with some desks on one end and bleachers on one side. They told us to get comfortable because we would spend the night there. I climbed up on the bleachers and sat down. There weren't many guys there at first, but by morning it was crowded. All night long the rockets came in, sometimes every couple of seconds, sometimes ever couple of minutes. Sometimes you could feel the vibrations from the explosion, but none hit the building, so eventually we just ignored them. Daylight came and the rockets stopped. I've always figured they were just trying to put a little fear in the minds of newcomers, but guys came in and sat at the desks and started doing paperwork. They processed us and sent us off to the next stop.

Sir, (Not that it matters what I say or think) I will steal a line from John Wayne or as Major Dan Kirby in "Flying Leathernecks". Keep speaking plain English to me and we will be just fine.

And oh, I eat my share of salt. I just never add any to anything I am eating. No matter if it needs it or not. I do occasionally throw down the black pepper though... ;)

Yeah, we called Scuds duds because they rarely hit what they were aiming at. My first experience was helping the supply sergeant on a run to pick up supplies and while we were at the supply point a report of a Scud headed our way reached us and we were told told to mask up and continue on. We did and minutes later found out it fell short as did many of them and we got our stuff and went back to our encampment in the Saudi Desert. There were a couple of more times it was reported that Scuds were on their way and we were required to mask up but, none ever hit their target around us. Not sure they really knew what target was intended with each one so, it was a precautionary measure to mask up.

Yeah, we called Scuds duds because they rarely hit what they were aiming at. My first experience was helping the supply sergeant on a run to pick up supplies and while we were at the supply point a report of a Scud headed our way reached us and we were told told to mask up and continue on. We did and minutes later found out it fell short as did many of them and we got our stuff and went back to our encampment in the Saudi Desert. There were a couple of more times it was reported that Scuds were on their way and we were required to mask up but, none ever hit their target around us. Not sure they really knew what target was intended with each one so, it was a precautionary measure to mask up.
Scud alerts scared crap out of me. Everyone jumping into holes and inside tracks.

One guy put his M17 on and the mask totally fell apart. Everybody else was masked up. We dared not remove our masks. Guy said screw it, lit a cigarette and said "I might as well enjoy myself if I'm gonna die". Surreal. Funny as heck when I think about it all these years later.

Sir, (Not that it matters what I say or think) I will steal a line from John Wayne or as Major Dan Kirby in "Flying Leathernecks". Keep speaking plain English to me and we will be just fine.

And oh, I eat my share of salt. I just never add any to anything I am eating. No matter if it needs it or not. I do occasionally throw down the black pepper though... ;)
I watch my sodium pretty close because I have Menieres disease. I haven't had a bad attack in years and the attacks are a strong motivation to watch my diet.

The Mrs dug up our potatoes this morning. They're her babies...loves growing them. More and bigger than last year..but she said the skins were thin..but they were starting to come up above ground. Seems I read somewhere once that when the tops dry/die out, to cut them off and then let them sit for a week or so before digging them up? Does that thicken the skin?

I think you earlier this year posted about lime powder to keep the bugs off. We tried...worked really well.
I never dig mine until the tops are dry.... our potatoes had thin skins also.....I take the ones we are going to keep and put them on cardboard spread out on the garage floor and put a fan on them to dry them out........I do this for a couple of weeks before crating them up and putting them in the panty. We put up all the smaller ones in quart jars and pressure seal them for later use.......waste not, want not.....
Someone......girth or backercutter shared the lime idea.....it worked here also.....I never saw over a dozen Japanese beetles.........some bug bites on the green beans but over all no where near the usual pest this season......I never used the first chemical on my garden this year......organic all the way thanks to the lime idea.......I usually use 5% seven dust pretty freely.......

My kid sister had a blown brain aneurysm on the afternoon of her 12th birthday..........if my memory serves me correctly......she was the first person to have successful surgery to save her life after the vein had burst.......

Mornin' all. Up and about...taking the little guy fishing this morning. Probably for only 2-3 hours in that it's going to be another hot one. 69 out now...heading up to 89/90. Then a big lunch here at the house for family and friends.

My long busy Summer is about over. Wedding on the Mrs side of the family this Saturday...so more coming in for a weekend stay..not including her daughter and two kids who have been here for a month+. Then come Sunday everybody heads home and it's back to life as usual. I call our house the 'family/community house' in that it's the focal point and gathering spot for all.

Y'all have a good day.....the week is flying by.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 80°F, humid and clear. 20% rain chance today. 95°F for today's high seems about right.

ATX area continues seeing record COVID patient numbers in ICUs. Count me as elated when this nightmare ends. Sigh, meanwhile....

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

de3zk9v-0263db76-8fea-4930-9fac-0b5fe4e5a39c.jpg

Good morning D-League. Heading out for a stroll in the woods ahead of a busy day.

My wife and I have a vacation coming up in early October and she booked a cabin in the woods somewhere a couple, three miles from Pigeon Forge. I haven't been to that area since high school. Mostly we just want to spend time hiking and walking in the woods. But if anyone has a "must see" suggestion, we'll put it on the list. Thanks.

My brother basically owns the top of one of the mountains outside G'burg/PF. Bought it about 35 years ago with the intention of building an A-frame chalet and maybe a few rentals. Being an architect..he drew up the plans, cleared off the land, put in a gravel driveway, and had water/sewer lines put in. Then his son, who was in residency (I think) at the time outside Detroit, moved back to Ohio with his wife and little one....and that was it. My SIL then said...no, weren't not moving to TN. So the mountain top property still sits...overgrown again. Surprised he never built just to have somewhere to go, but he never did. Think he got tired of G'burg and PF from going there so many times and how it changed/built up over the years.

My brother basically owns the top of one of the mountains outside G'burg/PF. Bought it about 35 years ago with the intention of building an A-frame chalet and maybe a few rentals. Being an architect..he drew up the plans, cleared off the land, put in a gravel driveway, and had water/sewer lines put in. Then his son, who was in residency (I think) at the time outside Detroit, moved back to Ohio with his wife and little one....and that was it. My SIL then said...no, weren't not moving to TN. So the mountain top property still sits...overgrown again. Surprised he never built just to have somewhere to go, but he never did. Think he got tired of G'burg and PF from going there so many times and how it changed/built up over the years.
I used to have a customer who owned 2 miles of shoreline on one of the lakes a little north of the national park. He got out of the business when China took such a big chunk of the business away. Haven't been to that area in years.

Interesting. We were going to Montreal, where my daughter was moving. But that got delayed and Canada wasn't clarifying the processes for Americans to enter.

So my wife started looking toward the Smokeys, where she's never been. I have fond memories from the 1970s of the sort of tawdry, cheesy tourist stuff in G-Burg and PF, but I know it has morphed into something quite different. Ah well, live and learn. Worst case scenario, we see some striking scenery and have some stress-free days.

Interesting. We were going to Montreal, where my daughter was moving. But that got delayed and Canada wasn't clarifying the processes for Americans to enter.

So my wife started looking toward the Smokeys, where she's never been. I have fond memories from the 1970s of the sort of tawdry, cheesy tourist stuff in G-Burg and PF, but I know it has morphed into something quite different. Ah well, live and learn. Worst case scenario, we see some striking scenery and have some stress-free days.
It's been at least 25 years since I was there, but I recall soon after you enter the park there's a road to the right that runs along side a creek. We rented inner tubes for the kids and they tubed the creek. Nice scenery. The road leads to Townsend. They used to advertise Townsend as the quiet side of the Smokies. Don't know about now.

The pictures I posted last week were from the mountains just above Dollywood. You can really enjoy the fresh air and the scenes. I love the mountains. Here are a couple:
239888282_4227438710705014_462417651373651749_n.jpg
240274916_4227438690705016_7750324787837907946_n.jpg
240439027_4227435284038690_1181053513297380655_n.jpg
239843255_4227435260705359_7642010290684597484_n.jpg

The pictures I posted last week were from the mountains just above Dollywood. You can really enjoy the fresh air and the scenes. I love the mountains. Here are a couple:
239888282_4227438710705014_462417651373651749_n.jpg
240274916_4227438690705016_7750324787837907946_n.jpg
240439027_4227435284038690_1181053513297380655_n.jpg
239843255_4227435260705359_7642010290684597484_n.jpg
Wow. Great photos, Bert. Thanks for re-posting. My enthusiasm for the trip gets a boost! (The dynamic in my marriage is that I'm pretty much an insecure work-a-holic who would never take a vacation and my wife is a well-balanced person who looks forward to them. So she finds a place, makes a schedule, and threatens to go alone or with one of the kids. Then I go and have a good-to-great time. See last weekend in Philadelphia.)

It's been about 12-15 years since I've been to G'burg/PF. I would go in a heartbeat but the Mrs. is not as keen on it. Says there's no shopping! Really? PF, unless it's changed, has 3,4,5 outlet malls.
The Mrs is the kind ... been there, done that.
I've been going to G'burg since I was a little guy. When I lived in Atlanta we would go 2 or 3 times a year, meet up with my brother who lives here in Ohio, rent a chalet and stay for a long weekend. We went quite a few Thanksgivings like that. It's not like it used to be with all the old tourist shops (I'm sure you can't buy a Confederate hat for the little guys anymore), but there were still a couple left....along with the pancake house and the candy shops making fudge and taffy.
Like I said, I would head out tomorrow.

Good morning D, dishes washed and clothes folded, to hot to get outside to do anything!!!! Heat index is supposed to be near 105 today!!!

We have been to the Smokies and Branson, I enjoyed Branson the most. I think what I liked about Branson was, how they honored the VETERANS AND POLICE at every show we went to! Also the Branson Bell was great!!! It was the best food we had while we were there!!

I hope the D has a great day and Prayers!!! read Nahum 1 this morning.

Good morning D-League. Heading out for a stroll in the woods ahead of a busy day.

My wife and I have a vacation coming up in early October and she booked a cabin in the woods somewhere a couple, three miles from Pigeon Forge. I haven't been to that area since high school. Mostly we just want to spend time hiking and walking in the woods. But if anyone has a "must see" suggestion, we'll put it on the list. Thanks.
It's been several years since we've been but I much prefer the Arts and Crafts Community outside of Gatlinburg. It's an 8-mile loop filled with unique shopping. Not the junk found at many of the shops in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. We stayed at a fantastic place right off the loop called the Hippensteal Inn. Beautiful views along with a terrific breakfast. Here's a link with all the shops/restaurants/etc..

Scud alerts scared crap out of me. Everyone jumping into holes and inside tracks.

One guy put his M17 on and the mask totally fell apart. Everybody else was masked up. We dared not remove our masks. Guy said screw it, lit a cigarette and said "I might as well enjoy myself if I'm gonna die". Surreal. Funny as heck when I think about it all these years later.
I jumped in a foxhole only once during the whole Gulf War and that was in the middle of the night when MLRS (Multi Launcher Rocket System) had a mission and fired on targets before the ground war started. We were asleep and had MLRS within our perimeter because they did not have the means or weapons for perimeter security so they stayed within ours. They moved outside the perimeter before firing and waited. Vehicles move throughout the night anyway with night ops and security so, we were used to that and slept on until we heard a loud roar of engines. Thinking is was enemy aircraft everyone quickly jumped out of our cots, grabbed our gear and jumped into the foxholes only to find out that the MLRS rockets were headed for a preselected target. If you have ever been around MLRS when they fire their engines you would think a high speed jet was zooming over if you did not know better.

My Darling and I took a trip there before the China Virus. Stayed a couple days but there had been a forest fire of sorts and many trees were barren in several areas. Did enjoy the couple days we spent there though. Just to get away.

Oh, I hope this day brings you all a sense of accomplishment to where you can reflect on this day as a day that mattered. God Bless you all...

Mornin' all. Up and about...taking the little guy fishing this morning. Probably for only 2-3 hours in that it's going to be another hot one. 69 out now...heading up to 89/90. Then a big lunch here at the house for family and friends.

My long busy Summer is about over. Wedding on the Mrs side of the family this Saturday...so more coming in for a weekend stay..not including her daughter and two kids who have been here for a month+. Then come Sunday everybody heads home and it's back to life as usual. I call our house the 'family/community house' in that it's the focal point and gathering spot for all.

Y'all have a good day.....the week is flying by.
Fishing AAArrgghhhhh!

Homer-Simpson-Drooling-2.gif

That's a good question, Sawnee.

In the past 30 years I've been around the military in Somalia, Haiti, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and other warm-to-scorching places and I never saw salt pills. I remember in Haiti the 10th Mountain Division guys suffering in the heat because the Brigade commander insisted that they wear their woodland BDUs buttoned all the way down on the wrist. Did you ever read about Col. David Hackworth, highly decorated solider from Korea to Vietnam, turned war reporter? I knew Hack pretty well, and he made a terrible stink in articles he wrote about making the soldiers stay so buttoned up in the heat.

Great read. I have always been an avid reader but my memory has gotten so bad that I don't remember the contents of a book. Reading now is just entertainment for the moment I am reading it I just remember whether it was good or not.

Knowing the way my mind works is the reason I believe generally that old men (Biden is older than me) should not be in positions of leadership in this country.

41bXt8d-BbL.jpg

Last edited:
I jumped in a foxhole only once during the whole Gulf War and that was in the middle of the night when MLRS (Multi Launcher Rocket System) had a mission and fired on targets before the ground war started. We were asleep and had MLRS within our perimeter because they did not have the means or weapons for perimeter security so they stayed within ours. They moved outside the perimeter before firing and waited. Vehicles move throughout the night anyway with night ops and security so, we were used to that and slept on until we heard a loud roar of engines. Thinking is was enemy aircraft everyone quickly jumped out of our cots, grabbed our gear and jumped into the foxholes only to find out that the MLRS rockets were headed for a preselected target. If you have ever been around MLRS when they fire their engines you would think a high speed jet was zooming over if you did not know better.
As part of my reporter's role, I was inside the cab of an MLRS during the first bombardment of Iraq by units of the Big Red One. It was quite a scene. An AP photographer with me chose to stay back where he could capture it better. The first picture below shows the rounds exiting. I'm in the cab. Lots of shaking and noise. Then, one of the asbestos sleeves got hung in the launch bay and flames swept back over the cab. The soldiers initially thought it was a "hung round" and we were seconds from being blown to bits. But we were able to escape, obviously. Photographer Bob Jordan told me, "I thought I was shooting your death." The second photo is on me standing around with the soldiers after the fire subsided. (I'm the tall guy in green jacket holding the notebook.) It was funny by then.

I mentioned the Flying Tigers the other day. Not sure how many of you are familiar with them. They were not actually part of the military and were bounty hunters of a sort. They were still around in the Nam days shuttling people and equipment. Quite a group.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT