ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Nah, pan handling is more profitable and tax free...

From Louisville's WHAS11...money from a "PLEASE HELP" street corner pan handler.

iu

Not bad for a days work...
Don't remember what show I watched or the station it was on but, several years ago I saw and expose on pan handling that showed people making a lot of money that way and a few people wrote books on how to do it after they got rich doing it.

A lot of truth with this. The product I manufacture used to go to mostly mom and pop furniture stores. Moms and pops were also the middlemen who bought from me and distributed to the stores. Despite their bs, the big chain stores depend on china and the mom and pop businesses go away.
Back in the early/mid 80's, I was making a million lamp shades a year. There were a few bigger people, but people in the business knew my name. The guy that first brought chinese lamps and shades into the USA came by my shop and brought some chinese men with him. The idea was to use my connections and get things started. I could have been in on the ground floor and be wealthy now, but it just didn't seem like the thing to do and I just didn't want to deal with folks I didn't know and thousands of miles away, so I said no. Others said yes and the results are obvious. I wrote our dear friend Mitch (sarcasm intended) a letter about imports and what was happening with specifics to my industry and thoughts in general. He sent me back a bs form letter thanking me for my input and asked for a donation. I didn't know it till later, but found out he was making BOATLOADS of money (pun and sarcasm intended) through his wife off everything being shipped here.

On the subject of water.

My paternal grandfather lived in the coal fields of Kentucky and the water was usually undrinkable due to the high gas content and smell. Fortunately they had water flowing out of a rock ceiling in a cave behind their house. They drank that water and used well water to clean the house.

Where I live, the state has a natural underground aquifer with about 800 billion gallons of water flowing through limestone that bubbles every day to form more than 700 of our springs. That’s the largest collection anywhere on earth!

But that almost got destroyed. In 1567 Phillip II of Spain wanted to cut a canal through Florida from the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico to save having to go around the state. In the 1930's the U.S. government approved of a planned route from the St, John River at Jacksonville on the Atlantic coast South to Palatka at the valley of the Ocklawaha River to the coastal divide, and on to the Withlacoochee River to the Gulf of Mexico near Yankeetown. This would have cut right through the underground aquifer turning us into Arizona.

Our county sells and pipes water South to Pinellas County, with cites St Pete and Clearwater, because Pinellas can not produce enough fresh water to take care of 1,000,000 people.

The spring's water temperature never goes above 72 degrees and is crystal clear. My drinking water comes from the Weeki Wachee Springs as pure water and nothing is added to it, not even fluoride. The local dentist will treat your teeth with fluoride if you want it. I have a shallow well that I use for the yard, shrubs and trees if they need watering.

springs-in-florida-walking-down-1024x683.jpg

Don't remember what show I watched or the station it was on but, several years ago I saw and expose on pan handling that showed people making a lot of money that way and a few people wrote books on how to do it after they got rich doing it.
I visited Lexington a month ago and saw a sign on Richmond Road asking people to donate money to some city project to give to panhandlers. I guess the idea was to house all of them and give them money from citizens so they would not have to beg on the street.

I had never heard of that before but I have not been many places as WOKE as Lexington, KY

On the subject of water.

My paternal grandfather lived in the coal fields of Kentucky and the water was usually undrinkable due to the high gas content and smell. Fortunately they had water flowing out of a rock ceiling in a cave behind their house. They drank that water and used well water to clean the house.

Where I live, the state has a natural underground aquifer with about 800 billion gallons of water flowing through limestone that bubbles every day to form more than 700 of our springs. That’s the largest collection anywhere on earth!

But that almost got destroyed. In 1567 Phillip II of Spain wanted to cut a canal through Florida from the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico to save having to go around the state. In the 1930's the U.S. government approved of a planned route from the St, John River at Jacksonville on the Atlantic coast South to Palatka at the valley of the Ocklawaha River to the coastal divide, and on to the Withlacoochee River to the Gulf of Mexico near Yankeetown. This would have cut right through the underground aquifer turning us into Arizona.

Our county sells and pipes water South to Pinellas County, with cites St Pete and Clearwater, because Pinellas can not produce enough fresh water to take care of 1,000,000 people.

The spring's water temperature never goes above 72 degrees and is crystal clear. My drinking water comes from the Weeki Wachee Springs as pure water and nothing is added to it, not even fluoride. The local dentist will treat your teeth with fluoride if you want it. I have a shallow well that I use for the yard, shrubs and trees if they need watering.

springs-in-florida-walking-down-1024x683.jpg
That looks similar to a spring I swam in once. Father and mother in law were staying in Florida during the summer for his job. This was early 80’s. The wife and I drove down to visit for a few days. Don’t remember the name of the place he was working in, but it wasn’t too far from Panama City. My mother in law took us to this spring, and she said jump in and cool off, it’s perfect swimming water. So I dive in head first, and it took my breath away, it was COLD! She got a real good laugh out of that.

That looks similar to a spring I swam in once. Father and mother in law were staying in Florida during the summer for his job. This was early 80’s. The wife and I drove down to visit for a few days. Don’t remember the name of the place he was working in, but it wasn’t too far from Panama City. My mother in law took us to this spring, and she said jump in and cool off, it’s perfect swimming water. So I dive in head first, and it took my breath away, it was COLD! She got a real good laugh out of that.

I was going to laugh but remember doing something similar. The water is cold and literally takes your breath away....

I visited Lexington a month ago and saw a sign on Richmond Road asking people to donate money to some city project to give to panhandlers. I guess the idea was to house all of them and give them money from citizens so they would not have to beg on the street.

I had never heard of that before but I have not been many places as WOKE as Lexington, KY
A few years ago, a local news channel was doing a story on panhandling, particularly one man that the cops had been "following" for some time. He would fake a disability, slur his speech, and so on, while begging for money. Well, the cops finally caught up to him and the local news was there to cover it. This con man, in a perfect, reasonable mindset, admitting to faking the entire thing and, up to that point in the year, had already cleared $67K in "donations."

I’m assuming your water is pumped out of the river before it gets to Bowling Green. My son got his degree from WKU, (geology), and did lots of water testing in the Bowling Green water system. Said it was just nasty, because of all the cave systems around the area.
I have 9 hours of geology from WKU, that is a long way from a degree, but I know my rivers.

I don't want to question your son but the caves filter the water. Additionally, the water from Barren river does not come from the caves. The cave water empties into the Green that goes north of Bowling Green.

I am sorry to question your son but I totally disagree.

I have 9 hours of geology from WKU, that is a long way from a degree, but I know my rivers.

I don't want to question your son but the caves filter the water. Additionally, the water from Barren river does not come from the caves. The cave water empties into the Green that goes north of Bowling Green.

No problem. I could have been wrong thinking the cave system dumped into the Barren. It’s been a few years.

Additionally, he obtained a Masters Degree from The University of Arkansas on Cave systems. If anyone is mixed up, it’s me. Good day.

On another note...

239734774_4781757088504500_1280390616999794191_n.jpg

I thought I put plenty of shredded sharp cheddar cheese in but it didn't taste like it. Will add more in the next batch and I ran out of buttermilk and added sweet milk. Those dark specks are the cheddar cheese. That front biscuit looks dingy but it wasn't.

Oh my oldest closes on her home tomorrow. My youngest is supposed to close October first on her home. I guess I am stuck here... for a while anyway if the Lord doesn't take me home...

Dinner a couple days ago... Black bean paste sauce and I cracked that yolk for the effect...

236003972_4772192386127637_4361988672685803408_n.jpg

Stir that baby up and YANG...

Last edited:
The worst water that I had was in Jacksonville, FL
Used to take a lot of business trips to J'ville and agree entirely.
Plus the smell if the wind was blowing the right (wrong) way.

Remember a rest stop on I-75 in S. Ky. going North...can't remember now exactly where....but the water was nasty and smelled terrible. Sulphur I believe.

On another note...

239734774_4781757088504500_1280390616999794191_n.jpg

I thought I put plenty of shredded sharp cheddar cheese in but it didn't taste like it. Will add more in the next batch and I ran out of buttermilk and added sweet milk. Those dark specks are the cheddar cheese. That front biscuit looks dingy but it wasn't.

Oh my oldest closes on her home tomorrow. My youngest is supposed to close October first on her home. I guess I am stuck here... for a while anyway if the Lord doesn't take me home...

Dinner a couple days ago... Black bean paste sauce and I cracked that yolk for the effect...

236003972_4772192386127637_4361988672685803408_n.jpg

Stir that baby up and YANG...
Made two homemade pies for today's lunch...company still here. Chocolate Cream and Coconut Cream.
Would post a picture too.....but they're all gone.
Waiting to see if I get a call/text of some illness.

A young man goes into a drug store to buy condoms.

The pharmacist says the condoms come in packs of 3, 9 or 12 and asks which the young man wants.

"Well," he said, "I've been seeing this girl for a while and she's really hot. I want the condoms because I think tonight's "the" night.

We're having dinner with her parents, and then we're going out. And I've got a feeling I'm gonna get lucky after that."

"Once she's had me, she'll want me all the time, so you'd better give me the 12 pack." The young man makes his purchase and leaves.

Later that evening, he sits down to dinner with his girlfriend and her parents.

He asks if he might give the blessing and they agree. He begins the prayer, but continues praying for several minutes.

The girl leans over to him and says, "You never told me that you were such a religious person."

The boy leans over to her and whispers, "You never told me that your father is a pharmacist."

Good morning D-League. Out for a morning walk in Philadelphia while my wife sleeps off the effects of an extra lemon martini at the elegant French restaurant where we celebrated #25 last night.

This is such a lovely city. But the casualties of the heroin/crack brigades are laying and squatting about everywhere. It’s hard to reconcile in this historic, beautiful city in the richest country in human history.

All I can come up with is that both the splendor and the wretchedness are the result of giving people as much freedom as possible. Some will use it to build skyscrapers and some to wreck their lives and sleep on the sidewalks.

Heading back to wake Sleeping Beauty and have a nice brunch before returning to DC. A happy Sunday to all.
Happy 25th! Hope you had a great time.

Well alrighty then. Drink and drink some more. And don’t be sorry. He knows his shit. You should know yours, being an ex mayor and all.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 78°F and clear. 83% humidity. Light wind. Heading to 98°F.

I actually accomplished a little bit this weekend. Much more remains. Went shopping and either store was out or I forgot a few things on my list. Purchased important items. Sorted through a few more parts.

Monday, Monday.....

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

DlS2UaRX4AAFRMq.jpg

Good Monday morning

We have 73° on the Gulf Coast with clear skies and a 21% chance of rain by midafternoon. We should reach 86°.

I think I will eat a good breakfast in a few minutes and go outside and do some light yard work, trimming and put the weed eater to work.

What is the guy looking at?

Trust all have a great day

240509855_4174908879230348_6380774669074143016_n.jpg

Which guy? ;) ("They" looking, coming and going...and side ways..)

Oh, God Bless you all this morning. May your day be pleasing to you and your families/ loved ones... God Bless you all...

239469658_409367130812294_3347121688910235692_n.png

ZOOOOM in. I think I answered my question.

240410145_10223737216636481_6844473293497978322_n.jpg

I guess from that perspective you are correct Sir but I was thinking as I think the others were thinking..............what if I was at a better angle....

239723717_4784213718258837_2734464737117008495_n.jpg

and even... Hmmm... I wish we could see what he's seeing too...

240048804_4784213708258838_480170131917655068_n.jpg

Could be...

(Just the Operations Manager in me...)(Could be...) (The tangents and KPI's I perceive...May even be some "gap" analysis going on...)

Last edited:
Good morning D-League. Back to the routine after a nice weekend. Thanks again to all for the well-wishes.

Sunny and not too hot in the east so far. Son back to classes at UK and daughter headed out to her fulltime teaching job today, so a busy time for the MD clan...Hope all is well with everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT