ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good Sunday morning to all.

Busy day yesterday. Another large cookout with a bunch of people. Paying for it this morning. Foot is aching from being on it too long.....and all on sandals....which I guess is stupid. After 5-6 weeks since the foundation rock fell over on it you (I) would think that it would be healing up nicely. Doesn't feel like.

Today looks like a repeat of the last few. Mid 60s now headed up to 89 or 90. Depends on which service you use. One shows chance of t'storms for a couple days this week...one app shows no chance of rain for the rest of the month. Hope it's wrong....we really need some rain.

Absolutely nothing on the docket today. Cracker Barrel takeout for lunch...their boneless fried chicken...think they call it Sunday Chicken. Good stuff.

Y'all have a happy, safe, and healthy Lord's Day.

Good morning D-League. Out for a morning walk in Philadelphia while my wife sleeps off the effects of an extra lemon martini at the elegant French restaurant where we celebrated #25 last night.

This is such a lovely city. But the casualties of the heroin/crack brigades are laying and squatting about everywhere. It’s hard to reconcile in this historic, beautiful city in the richest country in human history.

All I can come up with is that both the splendor and the wretchedness are the result of giving people as much freedom as possible. Some will use it to build skyscrapers and some to wreck their lives and sleep on the sidewalks.

Heading back to wake Sleeping Beauty and have a nice brunch before returning to DC. A happy Sunday to all.

Good morning D-League. Out for a morning walk in Philadelphia while my wife sleeps off the effects of an extra lemon martini at the elegant French restaurant where we celebrated #25 last night.

This is such a lovely city. But the casualties of the heroin/crack brigades are laying and squatting about everywhere. It’s hard to reconcile in this historic, beautiful city in the richest country in human history.

All I can come up with is that both the splendor and the wretchedness are the result of giving people as much freedom as possible. Some will use it to build skyscrapers and some to wreck their lives and sleep on the sidewalks.

Heading back to wake Sleeping Beauty and have a nice brunch before returning to DC. A happy Sunday to all.
iu

A belated happy 25th. Wishing you many, many more.

Homeless problem: I see this problem every day. In fact, multiple instances daily. Agree about affording as much freedom as possible. It seems the only time I can't find homeless on the streets is during freezes. Unsure an easy solution exists.

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 75°F and partly cloudy. Heading to 97°F or so later today. Still under triple-digits. We'll take it.

Sorted through lots of parts yesterday. Threw some out. Taking a few pictures for Craigslist later after a walk and shopping. Memory prices somewhat intrigued me. Old scrap DIMMS (Dual Inline Memory Modules) sell for about $1 each + shipping due to amount of gold on the contacts. Got around 40 or so. Much more stuff. I might sell on Ebay again. We'll see.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

national-eat-peach-day-226316625.jpg

Good Sunday morning to all.

Busy day yesterday. Another large cookout with a bunch of people. Paying for it this morning. Foot is aching from being on it too long.....and all on sandals....which I guess is stupid. After 5-6 weeks since the foundation rock fell over on it you (I) would think that it would be healing up nicely. Doesn't feel like.

Today looks like a repeat of the last few. Mid 60s now headed up to 89 or 90. Depends on which service you use. One shows chance of t'storms for a couple days this week...one app shows no chance of rain for the rest of the month. Hope it's wrong....we really need some rain.

Absolutely nothing on the docket today. Cracker Barrel takeout for lunch...their boneless fried chicken...think they call it Sunday Chicken. Good stuff.

Y'all have a happy, safe, and healthy Lord's Day.
Went to our local Cracker Barrel for supper yesterday about 5:30. They were out of carrots for the night and got the smallest piece of meatloaf I've ever had a restaurant. I guess it was partly because of lack of help, but it's one of the worst CB's I've seen. They've been out of biscuits before. I think all CB's have gone down hill though.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 75°F and partly cloudy. Heading to 97°F or so later today. Still under triple-digits. We'll take it.

Sorted through lots of parts yesterday. Threw some out. Taking a few pictures for Craigslist later after a walk and shopping. Memory prices somewhat intrigued me. Old scrap DIMMS (Dual Inline Memory Modules) sell for about $1 each + shipping due to amount of gold on the contacts. Got around 40 or so. Much more stuff. I might sell on Ebay again. We'll see.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

national-eat-peach-day-226316625.jpg

Went to our local Cracker Barrel for supper yesterday about 5:30. They were out of carrots for the night and got the smallest piece of meatloaf I've ever had a restaurant. I guess it was partly because of lack of help, but it's one of the worst CB's I've seen. They've been out of biscuits before. I think all CB's have gone down hill though.
If the prices were still the same perhaps the size of meatloaf has to do with the price of meat these days.

Morning folks. It is a humid, cloudy 77.0°F here. We got 1.5" of rain last night between 7:30 and 9:00. It really came down hard at times.

Congrats on 25 years MdWildcat. Have a safe trip back to DC.

Who were the folks that made such bad choices last November in the election?

Homeless problem: I see this problem every day. In fact, multiple instances daily. Agree about affording as much freedom as possible. It seems the only time I can't find homeless on the streets is during freezes. Unsure an easy solution exists.

Before the Biden debacle there was the Carter debacle. Thank him for the homeless. There used to be halfway houses but dear Jimmy thought it beneath the dignity of those who did not have the faculties to take care of their daily "requirements" but could reasonably take care of themselves. Many had money but just didn't pay what they owed so they lived in halfway houses.

Why do I know this for fact? My grandma was in that category. Near the end of her life this started. How horrible for these type people who then really began to suffer....the Carter doctrine. Should have never left peanut farming. The world would be a better place.

Oh, defend your love, never be ashamed of loving. Give freely the love God has given you. Share it and embrace it. God Loves You. God Bless you all ..

Last edited:
I wonder if it is because of their inability to get good staff and the cost of doing business going through the roof.

Inflation is going to completely alter our lifestyle. I have noticed the products in our grocery stories are coming in smaller boxes. The prices go up and the amount of product goes down.

I am trying to stay away from national chains and fast food restaurants. Also places like Home Depot and Walmart. I will spend my money on local business from this point on in my life. At least as long as they exist because the squeeze is on.

I wonder if it is because of their inability to get good staff and the cost of doing business going through the roof.

Inflation is going to completely alter our lifestyle. I have noticed the products in our grocery stories are coming in smaller boxes. The prices goes up and the amount of product goes down.

I am trying to stay away from national chains and fast food restaurants. Also places like Home Depot and Walmart. I will spend my money on local business from this point on in my life. At least as long as they exist because the squeeze is on.
A lot of truth with this. The product I manufacture used to go to mostly mom and pop furniture stores. Moms and pops were also the middlemen who bought from me and distributed to the stores. Despite their bs, the big chain stores depend on china and the mom and pop businesses go away.

Happy Anniversary @MdWIldcat55 . Praying for many more.

I have noticed the products in our grocery stories are coming in smaller boxes.
It always amazed me at how few people noticed the smaller packages during the Obama years. Cereal, ice cream, etc. Price would stay the same but the package would be 10-20% smaller. Actual inflation but nobody noticed because the price remained the same.

Mid day break from the yard work. Hope the entire D-L is having a fine day with family, friends, or yard tools! ... lol. Wife is asleep on the couch not feeling well. Dog is grumbling because it can't curl up on the couch with her.

I'm gettin another shower and going back outside. Let them two fight it out. My bet is the dog winds up outside with me

It always amazed me at how few people noticed the smaller packages during the Obama years. Cereal, ice cream, etc. Price would stay the same but the package would be 10-20% smaller. Actual inflation but nobody noticed because the price remained the same.

McDonalds was the first to do this. Masterful at it. Now it's an industry-wide tactic. Make the cups bigger when you raise the prices so it seems justified. Go back to the regular sizes during slower seasons. Repeat Wendy's is doing the latter half of that right now. Was just in there 2 weeks ago and their L is their old M.

Watched a couple minutes of the niffle while I was cooling off. Got to see Lonnie Johnson get hurt going for an INT. I always tune in at inopportune times it seems, and now I can't say I didn't watch the niffle this year.

Did get to see a 2 for 1, since Q was on the other sideline

I dined at Cookeville, TN Cracker Barrel last month. Not bad. Good service. Tasty biscuits. My cousin, who is a plumber in KY, told me to avoid CB in Bowling Green, KY next to I-65 near the Harley-Davidson dealership. Says the kitchen is the nastiest he's ever seen.

I gave much thought to where I would retire to when getting out of CA with all of its beggars, homelessness, suicidal politics, etc. I chose this planned community in the middle of the AZ desert (Florence). Escaping was the plan and it has worked so far.

Here are the 10 Safest Cities in Arizona for 2021​

1. Florence
2. Oro Valley
3. Gilbert
4. San Luis
5. Sahuarita
6. Surprise
7. Somerton
8. Lake Havasu City
9. Maricopa
10. Prescott Valley

I dined at Cookeville, TN Cracker Barrel last month. Not bad. My cousin, who is a plumber in KY, told me to avoid CB in Bowling Green, KY next to I-65 near the Harley-Davidson dealership. Says it's the nastiest he's ever seen.
We've been trying to go to locally owned businesses to eat, but occasionally do franchise food. CB hasn't had the best service here in years, so we only go probably once a year now.

If we're on the road we stop there more. Seems they are better all around in tourist spots or we've just been fortunate in that regard.

I gave much thought to where I would retire to when getting out of CA with all of its beggars, homelessness, suicidal politics, etc. I chose this planned community in the middle of the AZ desert (Florence). Escaping was the plan and it has worked so far.

1. Florence
2. Oro Valley
3. Gilbert
4. San Luis
5. Sahuarita
6. Surprise
7. Somerton
8. Lake Havasu City
9. Maricopa
10. Prescott Valley

Or is it just safer because you and people like you are there?

My wife was a CB server for a couple of years. Horrible company to work for (I literally assaulted the manager on the floor on her last day and was lucky I didn't get arrested) - but the food was good. But it has become horrible in the last few years and I won't eat there anymore. A lot of the stuff they used to make on site now comes in canned and frozen I think.

I noticed, could actually call it theft by deception...

1. Florence
2. Oro Valley
3. Gilbert
4. San Luis
5. Sahuarita
6. Surprise
7. Somerton
8. Lake Havasu City
9. Maricopa
10. Prescott Valley

The growth in Arizona in my lifetime has been remarkable. I think Phoenix had about 65,000 when I was born and today it is the 5th most populous city in the United States with 1.6 million residents.

Where do they get enough water to support a population this huge

The growth in Arizona in my lifetime has been remarkable. I think Phoenix had about 65,000 when I was born and today it is the 5th most populous city in the United States with 1.6 million residents.

Where do they get enough water to support a population this huge

They don't. Arizona and Texas has the worst water imaginable. Regurgitated pool water at best. A friend of mine had an RO system there along with a whole house softener and the water was still bad to my taste.(Lived in SA nearly 7 years, at Goodfellow AFB for 16 weeks, Ft Huachuca 16 weeks, same horrible water.) South Carolina in Summerville has the best I've had. Here in northern Virginia the water is actually tolerable and my RO system here does the trick...

Last edited:

1. Florence
2. Oro Valley
3. Gilbert
4. San Luis
5. Sahuarita
6. Surprise
7. Somerton
8. Lake Havasu City
9. Maricopa
10. Prescott Valley

On Florence, AZ being safe. Smiths Grove had the last murder in 1951.

Can Florence match that?

Of course we are not a desert. Smiths Grove produces tons of pollen as this place helps feed the world. Your allergies would be better in a desert; however, if you want to eat . . . . . . .

They don't. Arizona and Texas has the worst water imaginable. Regurgitated pool water at best. A friend of mine had an RO system there along with a whole house softener and the water was still bad to my taste. South Carolina in Summerville has the best I've had. Here in northern Virginia the water is actually tolerable and may RO system here does the trick...
On water: I have lived in Kentucky, North Carolina, Florida, Maryland, Texas and Indiana. By far, and I really mean by far, the best water is in Kentucky.

Our water out of the tap is good. It comes from Barren River.

My father-in-law had a spring in the back yard (75 feet down in a sinkhole). That limestone spring is the best water that I have ever tasted. It is 54 degrees year round and is wonderful straight out of the rocks. He had it tested yearly and never found any bacteria. Kentucky is blessed with water.

The worst water that I had was in Jacksonville, FL and the second worst was Houston, TX.

So I guess that I am agreeing with BBUK except I substituted Jacksonville with Arizona. I have never lived in Arizona so I have no experience on its water; however, on Arizona water, my friend was the chemist for the Tucson, AZ water company. Even he said it was horrible. They take water from the Colorado River (by the time it gets to them it is full of salt). They pump the river water into the ground and then extract it several miles away to get the damned salt out of it. There is some ground water that gets in it but it is horrible crap. He says he will not drink his own water and gets bottled water. He raves over my tap water.

The western states have water problems that we keep sweeping under the rug. How long can we run on fiction?

On water: I have lived in Kentucky, North Carolina, Florida, Maryland, Texas and Indiana. By far, and I really mean by far, the best water is in Kentucky.

My father-in-law had a spring in the back yard (75 feet down in a sinkhole). That limestone spring is the best water that I have ever tasted. It is 54 degrees year round and is wonderful straight out of the rocks. He had it tested yearly and never found any bacteria. Kentucky is blessed with water.

The worst water that I had was in Jacksonville, FL and the second worst was Houston, TX.

So I guess that I am agreeing with BBUK except I substituted Jacksonville with Arizona. I have never lived in Arizona so I have no experience on its water; however, on Arizona water, my friend was the chemist for the Tucson, AZ water company. Even he said it was horrible. They take water from the Colorado River (by the time it gets to them it is full of salt). They pump the river water into the ground and then extract it several miles away to get the damned salt out of it. There is some ground water that gets in it but it is horrible crap. He says he will not drink his own water and gets bottled water. He raves over my tap water.

The western states have water problems that we keep sweeping under the rug. How long can we run on fiction?

Yes Sir and I totally forgot, my Dad owned a home in Tazewell TN that the water was the purest I can remember. It would freeze in his freezer in about 15 minutes it seemed. I could never drink enough of that water. It was well water and near the end of him living there they were doing some sort of blasting and his water went to heck in a little while but that was the purest form of water I had ever seen. You'd drink it and it was so pure it never seemed to quench your thirst...

Good thought, but prices are higher, in CB and everywhere in town. Nobody in town can find help either. Everywhere you look, you see "now hiring" signs. They probably should say "now trying to hire".
Nah, pan handling is more profitable and tax free...

From Louisville's WHAS11...money from a "PLEASE HELP" street corner pan handler.

iu

Not bad for a days work...

I’m assuming your water is pumped out of the river before it gets to Bowling Green. My son got his degree from WKU, (geology), and did lots of water testing in the Bowling Green water system. Said it was just nasty, because of all the cave systems around the area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT