ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Same here. We've been fortunate in that our residential and our commercial properties have had no problem.
Long term tenants in the residential. One of the commercials I was worried a bit about when the gov't started shutting everything down last year. He had moved in in January and was starting a brand new business. He had been in his field for a number of years managing another company...so he had some contacts, etc that helped him. But...he has paid every month and hasn't missed a beat. In fact most times he pays 3 months in advance. And in talking with his wife last week his business is doing good.
All the properties are paid for...so no mortgages on my part to pay. So I don't have that burden that so many property owners are experiencing with this 'rent moratorium'.
We operated a rental property in Middlesboro for a couple years at my mom's old house. Problem was agreement in place as mom's health (mental state) declined. Handshake agreement for $400/mo through a local realtor who was in process of retiring. Renters were in there for 4 years. Near the end, they paid no rent. Since the house was built in 1898 or so (Tannery Executives House), it listed on the National Registry. Many issues involved, namely we could not demolish and build new. The mountain behind the house began shifting, moving the foundation.

At any rate, we may finally sell the Middlesboro KY property. I've been seeking more property up that way because, quite frankly, I'm tiring from these brutal Austin summers. All my family, save for a few good friends and distant cousins, are located east of the Mississippi. They live primarily in KY, TN, OH, IN and FL.

I keep telling Bert every time I see him and Sherry that I'm moving back. Main issue is when.

We operated a rental property in Middlesboro for a couple years at my mom's old house. Problem was agreement in place as mom's health (mental state) declined. Handshake agreement for $400/mo through a local realtor who was in process of retiring. Renters were in there for 4 years. Near the end, they paid no rent. Since the house was built in 1898 or so (Tannery Executives House), it listed on the National Registry. Many issues involved, namely we could not demolish and build new. The mountain behind the house began shifting, moving the foundation.

At any rate, we may finally sell the Middlesboro KY property. I've been seeking more property up that way because, quite frankly, I'm tiring from these brutal Austin summers. All my family, save for a few good friends and distant cousins, are located east of the Mississippi. They live primarily in KY, TN, OH, IN and FL.

I keep telling Bert every time I see him and Sherry that I'm moving back. Main issue is when.
Time to come home Austin. All in all, we complain about the weather but truth be told, Kentucky weather ain't that bad.

It is a cloudy 78.4°F on our way to 90°F. We have a 60% chance of rain and I hope we get all 60 of them.

I hope and pray that the SEC allows the crowds back in. We now know that Covid is not spread that much outside. Football is outside so let us have a normal season.

On Fred, I am also hoping that Fred will send some of that rain up to Smiths Grove. He does not have to worry about sending any to Central City or Burkesville areas just my area. :)
Actually got over 2 and one half inches Monday, and a bit more Tuesday. Needed every drop. Haven’t watered my maters all week 😎

Still playing softball at 64 but, the better description would be to say "playing at". Not playing the seniors leagues yet but, am looking at doing that next year. My wife ask me when I was going to stop playing and I told her "When teams quit calling to see if I am still wanting to play". I pitch so, I don't have to cover a lot of distance on the field. This was our State Champion Team in 2015. I am on the far right as you look at the picture. We have since won 2 more (state titles) but I can't find the pictures for those.

20190120-105709.jpg
Ill be 74 next month, but I'd still play if I was able. Due to severe injuries, my skill level had dropped, but being in business for myself was taking up any free time, so I quit. Take advantage of it while you are able. I still miss it.

Time to come home Austin. All in all, we complain about the weather but truth be told, Kentucky weather ain't that bad.
I hear ya. Fall in KY ranks among world's best in my opinion. I say that from someone who lived 11 years in Germany.

Looked carefully at Middlesboro property while back home last month. Daughter lived previously as a renter in one house I checked. It may have been flooded. My cousin, who wants me to move up that way, is located 29 miles from Bert's place in Smiths Grove, advises me from time-to-time. He's not only my cousin, but also a big brother I never had. Anyway, down in that goshdarn Middlesboro bowl, world famous for active coal mining in a meteor crater, a few houses are located within the flood plane. Hence cheap ($37K) prices.

Mom's house is a no-go. Needs too much work. I could purchase right now for $44K - my cut. Too much work.

Middlesboro seems full of deals compared to Knoxville or Lexington. Problem is how much BS I'll experience on remodel.

I hear ya. Fall in KY ranks among world's best in my opinion. I say that from someone who lived 11 years in Germany.

Looked carefully at Middlesboro property while back home last month. Daughter lived previously as a renter in one house I checked. It may have been flooded. My cousin, who wants me to move up that way, is located 29 miles from Bert's place in Smiths Grove, advises me from time-to-time. He's not only my cousin, but also a big brother I never had. Anyway, down in that goshdarn Middlesboro bowl, world famous for active coal mining in a meteor crater, a few houses are located within the flood plane. Hence cheap ($37K) prices.

Mom's house is a no-go. Needs too much work. I could purchase right now for $44K - my cut. Too much work.

Middlesboro seems full of deals compared to Knoxville or Lexington. Problem is how much BS I'll experience on remodel.
Don’t know your priorities, but why not settle in between? Dale Hollow- Lake Cumberland area is beautiful (I’m biased), and knowing your love for loose change, I drop at least a dollars worth a day 😐

Over the last year or two, I've had some remodeling done. There is work on another house that needs to be done. Because I put all my energy into spots/exercise instead o learning how to do useful stuff like carpentry or plumbing, I had to hire it done. Finding people to do it (specially quality people) has been a nightmare. Right now everything is on hold.

Don’t know your priorities, but why not settle in between? Dale Hollow- Lake Cumberland area is beautiful (I’m biased), and knowing your love for loose change, I drop at least a dollars worth a day 😐
We're looking at the Lake Cumberland area down the road. Ashville was our destination back in the 90's but the hell with that place. Plus, I feel better staying in our home state.

Last edited:
Haha, I hear ya, but nah. Thanks. Beautiful out that way. Lake Cumberland is awesome.

My granddaughter started pre-school at Ellen Myers in Harrogate, TN this year, just across the border from Middlesboro. I really should return to SE KY because of family. Florida is out of the question even though at least two brothers and nine cousins still live there. Tax breaks in KY are much better for folks my age, thanks to Bert's advice.

We'll figure it all out.

Haha, I hear ya, but nah. Thanks. Beautiful out that way. Lake Cumberland is awesome.

My granddaughter started pre-school at Ellen Myers in Harrogate, TN this year, just across the border from Middlesboro. I really should return to SE KY because of family. Florida is out of the question even though at least two brothers and nine cousins still live there. Tax breaks in KY are much better for folks my age, thanks to Bert's advice.

We'll figure it all out.
Well good luck anyways, and settle in a place you want to be. Kentucky needs great people, wherever you wind up.

I bought my granddaughter a house down the street from me about 10 years ago. I knew that houses would never be that cheap again. I kept it my name until they had been married ten years and proved that they were responsible (they paid the taxes, insurance and all maintenance costs) They were and I signed the house over to them last year. They were practically giving houses away then during the big Recession. I bought it so that she would be able to take her mother/my daughter ( who is mentally disabled) in after my wife and I are gone. I paid $80K for it. That same model house now sells for a minimum of $280K. I feel so sorry for younger folks that have to buy a home these days.

Last edited:
I bought my granddaughter a house down the street from me about 10 years ago. I knew that houses would never be that cheap again. I kept it my name until they had been married ten years and proved that they were responsible (they paid the taxes, insurance and all maintenance costs) They were and I signed the house over to them last year. They were practically giving houses away then during the big Recession. I bought it so that she would be able to take her mother/my daughter ( who is mentally disabled) in after my wife and I are gone. I paid $80K for it. That same model house now sells for a minimum of $280K. I feel so sorry for younger folks that have to buy a home these days.

Sir,

You are so right. Getting near closing on a house for my oldest daughter. 476k....

Showing my youngest daughter two tomorrow in the 460k range.

They are doing about all themselves but the cut I get will cushion their blow a little.

Last edited:
Sunday will be the 52nd anniversary of Woodstock. I was only a 4th grader but a few of my neighbors attended the event. I still remember my Dad and his "damn hippies" comments. Regardless, the music was great. Unfortunately many of the people running this country were probably Woodstockers.

Damn. Was hoping to drive up to a ridge not far from here tonight and watch for the Perseid meteor shower. The skies were clear through late afternoon, but now we're getting rain and the forecast is for clouds through the weekend.

Watching for falling stars in August was a ritual in my Kentucky boyhood. Somehow we knew when to expect them and the whole area was a "no ambient light" zone.

Clearest meteor shower I ever saw: the Saudi desert, 1990. The sky was raining streaks of light.

Yeah we saw some threatening clouds and packed up about 7:30. Got pretty windy as we made it to the car, loaded everything, got turned around to leave and it started raining. It rained nearly the 100 mile trip but we weren't in any hurry. Fishless and crab-less, a first for us. I thought Maryland was known for this sort of stuff. I'll take South Carolina though Maryland IS beautiful but that beauty is tempered knowing what I know about the state.

I used my cast net a couple times and brought in some decent bait fish (30 to 40) caught two turtles in our crab nets. One snapping and some sort of box turtle. They were thrown back into the drink after a fisher couple close to us took a couple pictures with it. They were nice enough people but the guy had a mouth worse than any I have been around in a long time. It's a shame too as there was no need to use that type language.

All and all my Darling and I got away and feel good. We hadn't been out like that in over two years.

Start back at it hard tomorrow but I plan a biscuit baking party first when I wake up if the Lord tarry's. Got some studying to do, have a good evening.

Last edited:
Good Saturday morning all. Beautiful morning here on the porch. Little cloudy so the sun isn't beating down yet, but the temp is just right. Mid-60s...feels like no humidity....will top off at 80...birds are chirping...beautiful morning.

Y'all have a good day.

Over the last year or two, I've had some remodeling done. There is work on another house that needs to be done. Because I put all my energy into spots/exercise instead o learning how to do useful stuff like carpentry or plumbing, I had to hire it done. Finding people to do it (specially quality people) has been a nightmare. Right now everything is on hold.
I've been getting the remodeling 'hints' this week. Not for our house or any of the rental properties...have pretty much remodeled all, but there's always work to be done. But for a prospective house that my step-daughter may buy here close to us. They live in Seattle, and even though when she was H.S. and college she couldn't wait to move to the 'big city'...now that she's older with two kids they're thinking of buying a second home near here. I think it's stupid, but anyway. Their thought process is that they would have a place close to stay on extended visits...and if the schools are closed out in goofy-ville her and the kids would stay here and the kids wouldn't miss school.
So while here, her and the Mrs have been out about every day looking at a house. Found one the other day real close that she liked....but needs some work. So the Mrs has been showing me pictures, what needs to be done, dropping hints, etc. I said sure...but due to Covid and the backup in material, etc I would have to charge $525 an hour. Hey...they can afford it.

If I buy a second home it would be in the mountains overlooking a lake.

Good Saturday Morning

Where is Fred? It appears he is a little disorganized and will be tracking to the West away from our Gulf Coast. He is only a depression now but once he breaks away from Cuba he might get a little stronger.

Currently we have a pleasant 72° with winds at 11 mph and a high of 86° this afternoon. Thunderstorms are expected to arrive at 3:00 PM.

We will probably take a day trip today and end up at a historical "Elvis Ate Here" hot dog shop called Coney Island. It has been in business for over 60 years and was a favorite hang out for Elvis Presley when he was filming "Follow That Dream", a movie shot near Yankeetown, FL Just a little touch of history from the past.

Trust all have a nice weekend

Read Amos 9

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL6_storm_info_1280x720.jpg

Good morning from ATX. Currently 82°F and mostly sunny. Expecting 96°F for today's high. Chance for rain tomorrow afternoon. Again, it's been a comparatively mild summer for us so far.

After waking up and taking a walk, I really must go through some boxes. We finally received our new couch yesterday. Wife and plan on moving old couch out later.

21 days until Kentucky Football!

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

NationalCreamsicleDay-1024x512.png

Good morning folks. WARNING THIS IS LONG AND COULD BE CONSIDERED BRAGGING:

Yesterday at 5:00 pm on the dot it started raining and at 5:15 pm it had quit, and we had .98" of rain. No more since then, but I am hoping we get a little more today as there is a 70% chance. It is a sunny 77.0°F on the back porch on our way to 85°. That is the coolest projected temp in over a week. I hope that stands.

On property: I now live in my 10th house. Outside the first and this one, I had no choice on where I would live as the Railroad moved me around. In 2000 when I retired the choice of where to live was wide open. Of course, I chose Kentucky because my mom was alive and lived in a nursing home in Brownsville, KY and Sherry's dad lived in Cave City, KY. Sherry's sister and brother-in-law lived in Bowling Green. So, Smiths Grove was sort of smack dab in the middle.

I checked out the taxes in several states, Kentucky, Tennessee and even Indiana as they were close to this area. I knew the exact taxes applicable for Florida as I lived there 15 years in two shifts. Tennessee and Florida taxes are considerable higher than Kentucky and Indiana although they do not have state Income taxes. However, Florida and Tennessee hit you really hard on property taxes. Tennessee kills you on Sales taxes. My house in Florida came with $4,200 property tax, plus the utilities were considerably higher than what my father-in-law and brother-in-law were paying back in Kentucky. Water in Florida was expensive, and it tasted bad as it came mainly from wells and was hard as the limestone it came from. I have Barren River water here and reasonable price for sewage.

My property tax in 2001 in Kentucky was 25% of the tax on my Florida house and they were comparable in value. My electricity was less plus I had natural gas which can save you a fortune in the winter. Now 21 years later our property tax is $1,700. In those 21 years I have paid out less than $500, total, in State income taxes, so that is about $24 a year. My utilities are more stable as we experience maybe an interruption of electricity less than an hour per year and it is usually when some person wrecks into a line. Another beauty is I have a choice of three internet providers offering up to 1 gig speed.

You all know what the weather is like in Kentucky. We get cold and hot, rain and dry and an occasional tornado. Health care was important, so I got close to a large town. That paid off when I had my heart attack. I called 911 and from the time of the call until I was in the emergency room was 30 minutes.

I have lived in North Carolina, Maryland, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky and Texas. All were special, but the bottom line for me is that all around, Kentucky has as good a climate as any of them, although different, the taxes are lower than any other place that I have lived, and the amenities are better than most, unless you love the ocean. And while Kentucky does not have an ocean, we do have 95,000 miles of streams which is second only to Alaska.

Good morning folks. WARNING THIS IS LONG AND COULD BE CONSIDERED BRAGGING:

Yesterday at 5:00 pm on the dot it started raining and at 5:15 pm it had quit, and we had .98" of rain. No more since then, but I am hoping we get a little more today as there is a 70% chance. It is a sunny 77.0°F on the back porch on our way to 85°. That is the coolest projected temp in over a week. I hope that stands.

On property: I now live in my 10th house. Outside the first and this one, I had no choice on where I would live as the Railroad moved me around. In 2000 when I retired the choice of where to live was wide open. Of course, I chose Kentucky because my mom was alive and lived in a nursing home in Brownsville, KY and Sherry's dad lived in Cave City, KY. Sherry's sister and brother-in-law lived in Bowling Green. So, Smiths Grove was sort of smack dab in the middle.

I checked out the taxes in several states, Kentucky, Tennessee and even Indiana as they were close to this area. I knew the exact taxes applicable for Florida as I lived there 15 years in two shifts. Tennessee and Florida taxes are considerable higher than Kentucky and Indiana although they do not have state Income taxes. However, Florida and Tennessee hit you really hard on property taxes. Tennessee kills you on Sales taxes. My house in Florida came with $4,200 property tax, plus the utilities were considerably higher than what my father-in-law and brother-in-law were paying back in Kentucky. Water in Florida was expensive, and it tasted bad as it came mainly from wells and was hard as the limestone it came from. I have Barren River water here and reasonable price for sewage.

My property tax in 2001 in Kentucky was 25% of the tax on my Florida house and they were comparable in value. My electricity was less plus I had natural gas which can save you a fortune in the winter. Now 21 years later our property tax is $1,700. In those 21 years I have paid out less than $500, total, in State income taxes, so that is about $24 a year. My utilities are more stable as we experience maybe an interruption of electricity less than an hour per year and it is usually when some person wrecks into a line. Another beauty is I have a choice of three internet providers offering up to 1 gig speed.

You all know what the weather is like in Kentucky. We get cold and hot, rain and dry and an occasional tornado. Health care was important, so I got close to a large town. That paid off when I had my heart attack. I called 911 and from the time of the call until I was in the emergency room was 30 minutes.

I have lived in North Carolina, Maryland, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky and Texas. All were special, but the bottom line for me is that all around, Kentucky has as good a climate as any of them, although different, the taxes are lower than any other place that I have lived, and the amenities are better than most, unless you love the ocean. And while Kentucky does not have an ocean, we do have 95,000 miles of streams which is second only to Alaska.
In Oklahoma we have a state tax, property tax and a sales tax. Our sales tax averages about 4.5-11.5% across the state depending on where you live. In my area, almost 10%. State income tax rate is 5%.

Last edited:
Hello all, I hope your days have been good. Been busy about all day. The biscuits came out well though and that set the tone... ;) Almost finished today and will sit down to do some studying.

Oh, my this day give you all a renewed spirit and passion for Godly living. God Bless you all...

We just returned home from eating out and thought I would relay this to you. At the cash register was a sign that read

"These prices are outrageous and uncalled for and we hope they are temporary. Please remember how much this meal cost the next time you vote and if you voted for Joe Biden don't say a word. We are not in the mood"

Howdy folks. Back from a long, sweaty run made much more tolerable by a podcast I'm listening to that recounts in great detail the life and career of George Jones. I'm up to the Tammy Wynette years. What a story. And what a blend of extraordinary voices.

What is the podcast?

What is the podcast?
It’s called Cocaine and Rhinestone. It’s done by Tyler Mahan Coe, the son of David Allan Coe…He’s a bit quirky and opinionated but I enjoy it. Season one was various country artists. Season two is a deeeep dive into George Jones. If you try it, be patient. He starts each segment with a seemingly random history essay - bullfighting, knights and jousting - but then it’s all on topic.

Last edited:
It’s called Cocaine and Rhinestone. It’s done by Tyler Mahan Coe, the son of David Allan Coe…He’s a bit quirky and opinionated but I enjoy it. Season one was various country artists. Season two is a deeeep dive into George Jones. If you try it, be patient. He starts each segment with a seemingly random history essay - bullfighting, knights- but then it’s all on topic.
David Allan Cole was one of my favorites. Cut my teeth on his music.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT