ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Sunrise in the Bluegrass. Love it.

E2F3cayWUAAbYOI

Sunny and warm this morning heading up to the mid, high 80s. But now one of my weather apps is telling me the highs Friday and Saturday is 65! Hate it when the temp bounces up and down this time of year. We've had little to no Spring in the Buckeye State....and not a very wet Spring.

It's 8 o'clock and I've already been outside doing some 'honey do's'. Had a project for me to do while she took her morning walk with a friend. Wanted it done when she got back so she could do her thing .... planting yet more flowers. Good thing we're debt free ..... other than to the garden centers. 😉

Y'all have a safe, happy, and productive Tuesday.

Good morning D Leaguer's. Today is a blessed day so enjoy it with those you love.

I take off time to time
With those crazy friends of mine
Head out on steel horses
With wheels and we ride

We burn up that road to old Mexico
Blend in with the desert
Just we amigos
And we roll

And cowboys like us sure do have fun
Racing the wind, chasing the sun
Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run
There'll be no regrets, no worries and such
For cowboys like us

Got a question Mr. AWF, you ever had any dealings with Rollers? I remember when I was young watching them.

Dang, my hair's never ever been long enough to wear rollers... I am shocked. I watched my Mom wear rollers when I was young. I guess I've seen a couple men with hair long enough to wear rollers, I guess more than a few. But, I sure wouldn't let my hair get that long...

Dang, my hair's never ever been long enough to wear rollers... I am shocked. I watched my Mom wear rollers when I was young. I guess I've seen a couple men with hair long enough to wear rollers, I guess more than a few. But, I sure wouldn't let my hair get that long...
Some how knowing the D, this was going to happen!!!!!! Let me rephrase what I ask, Birmingham Roller Pigeons!!!!!

🤣

My hair was course and curly, so I always kept it short. I never dreamed of long hair, it would have been uncontrollable.

191162619_533026471047316_7125794020728089330_n.jpg

Lest We Forget.....

Edit: For those who know more, this IS legit...
I have an interesting, to me, story about coins and the dead. My g-grandfather was killed when he was in his mid 20'S while building a loading dock on Lake Michigan.

As he lay on the dock, two 25 cent coins were placed over his eyes. Apparently this was the custom. Why I am not sure. Anyway a man saw them and stole them. He was caught and stood trial. I have the newspaper article. The locals wanted to take him from his jail cell and hang him.

The thief was from Detroit and some of the remarks about people from Detroit are classic. These words would not be allowed in today's paper. For some reason back in the 1880's Detroiters had a reputation around the state of Michigan as being undesirables and the thief proved it. Stealing money off of a dead man's eyes was a no no and could get you hanged.

My daughter had her first golf lesson last night and it went pretty well. The guy made a couple of tweaks to her grip and stance and she instantly started striking the ball better and hitting it further. Next lesson is to work on putting and reading greens along with additional tweaks on her swing. I also entered her into a tournament in a couple of weeks to see how she does playing 18 holes against older girls. She is 12 but will be playing up in the 14-15 year old group.

I have an interesting, to me, story about coins and the dead. My g-grandfather was killed when he was in his mid 20'S while building a loading dock on Lake Michigan.

As he lay on the dock, two 25 cent coins were placed over his eyes. Apparently this was the custom. Why I am not sure. Anyway a man saw them and stole them. He was caught and stood trial. I have the newspaper article. The locals wanted to take him from his jail cell and hang him.

The thief was from Detroit and some of the remarks about people from Detroit are classic. These words would not be allowed in today's paper. For some reason back in the 1880's Detroiters had a reputation around the state of Michigan as being undesirables and the thief proved it. Stealing money off of a dead man's eyes was a no no and could get you hanged.

I believe it was called Charon's obol, which was a bribe to get a person to the underworld.

Plenty of open-topped buses in DC...
I am scared of DC.......we took our daughter to Baltimore one time to catch a MAC flight back to England......on the way back home the Director saw a sign that said Washington DC how ever many miles......the Director decided we needed to do a drive through since we was that close.........it was 1 AM.........of course she was fresh.....she had slept for a couple of hours on the trip up........while I was driving.......we went in .......drove around for a couple of hours and left......saw every building I wanted to....streets were empty.........don't have a burning desire to go back unless it would be to see federal marshals haul Joe Biden's ass out of the White House in cuffs and leg irons......

I am scared of DC.......we took our daughter to Baltimore one time to catch a MAC flight back to England......on the way back home the Director saw a sign that said Washington DC how ever many miles......the Director decided we needed to do a drive through since we was that close.........it was 1 AM.........of course she was fresh.....she had slept for a couple of hours on the trip up........while I was driving.......we went in .......drove around for a couple of hours and left......saw every building I wanted to....streets were empty.........don't have a burning desire to go back unless it would be to see federal marshals haul Joe Biden's ass out of the White House in cuffs and leg irons......

I'd for sure do that trip during the day. DC changes in the later hours drastically...

Yes sir.......I raised Birmingham Rollers for about twenty years........I had a bird on the front of the national magazine that was named the "Drain Pipe" hen...........she would spin (roll) down about 75-100 ft and those that watched her said she could spin through a drain pipe.........they are easy prey for the birds of prey.......

@BBUK my hair was waist length for a long time...........got it cut off when I was staying in England with my grandson who had leukemia.......we was all getting our hair shaved off in solidarity................I was the only one who got the razor.....it was at a on base barber shop........it actually turned into quite a spectacle......with a good round of applause when I got out of the chair and they gave my hair back to me......kept it at a "1" ever since........

Yes sir.......I raised Birmingham Rollers for about twenty years........I had a bird on the front of the national magazine that was named the "Drain Pipe" hen...........she would spin (roll) down about 75-100 ft and those that watched her said she could spin through a drain pipe.........they are easy prey for the birds of prey.......

@BBUK my hair was waist length for a long time...........got it cut off when I was staying in England with my grandson who had leukemia.......we was all getting our hair shaved off in solidarity................I was the only one who got the razor.....it was at a on base barber shop........it actually turned into quite a spectacle......with a good round of applause when I got out of the chair and they gave my hair back to me......kept it at a "1" ever since........

I have to ask, did they have long hair? 😁 :oops: (It just comes out...)

Last edited:
Me when I come across a spot like this: In your best Homer Simpson voice. "AArrrgghhhmmmmmm! Fishing spot"

I only had my boat out twice last year.......hooked it up this morning........we was going to Taylorsville and just run the old gas out of it.......no fishing.........got to the lake and asked my grandson what he did with the two stickers he was supposed to put over the old ones............they was laying on a baker's rack on the deck........it took quite a while to get there since Gene Snyder was backed up of several miles.......stopped at the pool store and picked up a part for the filter........we decided that one trip and back to the lake was enough for one day............backing in the drive some A'hole ran up on me and started laying on the horn.......hit the mail box because my spotter was evidently not spotting for me..........got the boat in the back.......wrong part for the filter...........turned around and found said part that was previously lost.........I knew when on of my dogs only let me get about a 11/2 hour sleep last night......it was going to be a baaaaaaaaaad day........

I love throwing a 51/4" black/silver floating stick bait or a buzz bait........in this set up......

This ole boy loves using a straw rig when fishing for Spanish Mackerel. Had people laughing at me on the Second Avenue Pier in Myrtle beach for over 30 minutes one day fishing until I was pulling in 13 to 15 inch Mackerel two at a time about every pull when they started running. that was a good day. I caught about 22 of those and couldn't keep from laughing when several old(er) men were running back up the near 1000 foot dock to buy a straw rig. I had a GOOD time that day. when fish are running that is the go to...

Then the sharks started invading and stripped one line. I took a break and let them chumps get their lines cut regularly... We got along fine after that but I got the real laugh...

Four bits was a good pocket full of change at that time......

we stopped for gas at a station at the "other" end of Pennsylvania Ave....it had 2" bullet proof glass with a maze to put your money in before he hit the power to the pump......I couldn't get out of there fast enough.......the place was empty when we pulled in.......first a bum begging came up.....then several "kids" on bicycles....two guys walked through the lot..........too much foot traffic for that time of the night......

As he lay on the dock, two 25 cent coins were placed over his eyes. Apparently this was the custom. Why I am not sure.
Sawnee -- The basic reason for this is a bit grim -- the muscles around the eyes could constrict after death, causing a persons eyes to open, scaring the hell out of everyone. Ancient cultures, like the Greeks, came up with legends to account for the tradition of putting coins over the eyes to stop this from happening, like the myth BEN notes that the coins were to pay the ferryman across the river Styx.

Of course coins had more value in those days. Here's a joke my papaw told me when I was about 5-6 that I never forgot. Two old fellas are sitting side by side in a two-holer outhouse when the first guy starts to pull put his pants -- and some coins clatter into the hole. He gets a sorrowful look on his face, then searches in his wallet for a $5 bill, and throws it in.

His friend says, "What the hell did you do that for?"
And the guy answers, "If you think I'm fishing around in there for 35 cents, you are crazy."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT