ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Been quite a few years since my last visit to D.C. and don't care if I go back. Remember in some areas...and in fact some locals warned us....just a block or two off from the main streets/tourist areas/buildings were total slums you don't want to be in.
The Mrs. has never been there and wants to take a trip up. I said 'no thanks'.

Sawnee -- The basic reason for this is a bit grim -- the muscles around the eyes could constrict after death, causing a persons eyes to open, scaring the hell out of everyone. Ancient cultures, like the Greeks, came up with legends to account for the tradition of putting coins over the eyes to stop this from happening, like the myth Cord notes that the coins were to pay the ferryman across the river Styx.

Of course coins had more value in those days. Here's a joke my papaw told me when I was about 5-6 that I never forgot. Two old fellas are sitting side by side in a two-holer outhouse when the first guy starts to pull put his pants -- and some coins clatter into the hole. He gets a sorrowful look on his face, then fishes in his wallet for a $5 bill, and throws it in.

His friend says, "What the hell did you do that for?" And the guy answers, "If you think I'm fishing around in there for 35 cents, you are crazy."
Thanks for the information. Interesting.

5awfkg.jpg

Been quite a few years since my last visit to D.C. and don't care if I go back. Remember in some areas...and in fact some locals warned us....just a block or two off from the main streets/tourist areas/buildings were total slums you don't want to be in.
The Mrs. has never been there and wants to take a trip up. I said 'no thanks'.

Before the Chinese virus we had visitors all the time looking for a place to stay while they visited DC. We are not too far away at all but on the Virginia side. We have visited many areas pre-China Virus.

Sawnee -- The basic reason for this is a bit grim -- the muscles around the eyes could constrict after death, causing a persons eyes to open, scaring the hell out of everyone. Ancient cultures, like the Greeks, came up with legends to account for the tradition of putting coins over the eyes to stop this from happening, like the myth BEN notes that the coins were to pay the ferryman across the river Styx.

Of course coins had more value in those days. Here's a joke my papaw told me when I was about 5-6 that I never forgot. Two old fellas are sitting side by side in a two-holer outhouse when the first guy starts to pull put his pants -- and some coins clatter into the hole. He gets a sorrowful look on his face, then searches in his wallet for a $5 bill, and throws it in.

His friend says, "What the hell did you do that for?"
And the guy answers, "If you think I'm fishing around in there for 35 cents, you are crazy."

I'm fairly sure ATX would have gone down there if the other guy would lower him down on a rope.

After 35 years of marriage, a husband and wife came for counseling. When asked what the problem was, the wife went into a tirade listing every problem they had ever had in the years they had been married
On and on and on: neglect, lack of intimacy, emptiness, loneliness, feeling unloved and unlovable, an entire laundry list of unmet needs she had endured.
Finally, after allowing this for a sufficient length of time, the therapist got up, walked around the desk and after asking the wife to stand, he embraced and kissed her long and passionately as her husband watched - with a raised eyebrow. The woman shut up and quietly sat down in a daze.
The therapist turned to the husband and said, "This is what your wife needs at least 3 times a week. Can you do this?"
"Well, I can drop her off here on Mondays and Wednesdays, ..............But I fish on Fridays.

After 35 years of marriage, a husband and wife came for counseling. When asked what the problem was, the wife went into a tirade listing every problem they had ever had in the years they had been married
On and on and on: neglect, lack of intimacy, emptiness, loneliness, feeling unloved and unlovable, an entire laundry list of unmet needs she had endured.
Finally, after allowing this for a sufficient length of time, the therapist got up, walked around the desk and after asking the wife to stand, he embraced and kissed her long and passionately as her husband watched - with a raised eyebrow. The woman shut up and quietly sat down in a daze.
The therapist turned to the husband and said, "This is what your wife needs at least 3 times a week. Can you do this?"
"Well, I can drop her off here on Mondays and Wednesdays, ..............But I fish on Fridays.
I am fishing tomorrow and Friday.

One of my favorite boxers ever.
Ali was/is my favorite of all time. I met him a couple of times only briefly as a boy and he was very nice and cordial to me. But, that is not why he is my favorite. Ali had the speed of a light weight, the boxing skills of a middle weight, and the power of a heavy weight. He was the total package as a fighter/boxer.

I guess my second is a tie between Sugar Ray Robinson and Alexis Argüello. Both were cerebral boxers and very savvy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT