ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Just got up in the attic for the first time in almost 4 years. Nothing up there I need, or so I thought. I moved a couple of things around and happened to open a box to see what was in it. I found another box among other things, and opened it up. Inside I found my class ring that I assumed was lost for good this time.

I lost that ring shortly after getting it. Didn't know where, but I thought I must have lost it while riding a mini bike in the field below the barn. It was lost for several years, maybe 5, and one day I was bush hogging down there and saw something sparkle on the ground as I went by. I stopped and got off and looked for what I had seen. It was the ring. Wasn't even dirty.

I suppose I'll put it in one of my wife's curio cabinets and let it sit there. It is almost 40 years old now and has been worn for less than a week in it's entire existence.

Very nice to read, thank you. I have served with many vets and known many more well enough to get to hear their stories. The fact that some go to their graves hating the enemy they fought and others like your grandfather who don't I find very interesting. I have known both types.

Your grandfather's take that his rural background helped him get through those times has me thinking back to the backgrounds of the people I knew. In my own experiences with things a country background has helped. An example is that in my SERE training group, I was the only man in the element that knew what to do with a live chicken.

A few days into the survival part they handed each group a live chicken and a hand full of potatoes and onions. Some of the guys had never even been close to a live chicken, let alone prepared it to cook.
I attended SERE at Ft. Campbell which included a 3 day FTX at Eglin. Chicken with its head decapitated was entertaining at the time.

He said it was all just a production. He was there only briefly and then got back on the boat and got out of there. They were still fighting on that island.

Found tis little tid bit interesting.

This photo is one of the most famous from World War II, showing MacArthur striding confidently through the surf toward the beach, looking like the epitome of a resolute leader. The actual plans at the time were for the General to land at a dock, but they could not find one that had survived the landing assault. While still 50 yards off shore, MacArthur's landing craft ran aground. MacArthur grew impatient and ordered the ramp lowered, stepped knee deep into the water, and strode toward the beach. Others in the party, of course, followed. His facial expression had more to do with irritation over the situation than the historic import of the occasion. It is rumored that MacArthur was so pleased with the photo that he reenacted the event to try to improve it

Fred, Cujo, ATC, others, I am humbled by your stories and more than thankful for your service. Handshake and hug to y'all. It's because of you and others mentioned, that we have the freedom we enjoy today. My barber, now retired, hated the Japanese with a passion. He told me that they did things to women that he wouldn't even tell me. He told me that one better not enter his business. God bless. FCC.

Just got up in the attic for the first time in almost 4 years. Nothing up there I need, or so I thought. I moved a couple of things around and happened to open a box to see what was in it. I found another box among other things, and opened it up. Inside I found my class ring that I assumed was lost for good this time.

I lost that ring shortly after getting it. Didn't know where, but I thought I must have lost it while riding a mini bike in the field below the barn. It was lost for several years, maybe 5, and one day I was bush hogging down there and saw something sparkle on the ground as I went by. I stopped and got off and looked for what I had seen. It was the ring. Wasn't even dirty.

I suppose I'll put it in one of my wife's curio cabinets and let it sit there. It is almost 40 years old now and has been worn for less than a week in it's entire existence.

A juvenile burglar got my class ring, along with the wife's and my wedding rings. Druggie. He sold them for drugs. After he was caught I offered him $500, no questions asked, to tell me who he sold them to. He couldn't remember. I'll bet he sold them for about $20. A druggie will steal anything from anyone, with no remorse, for their next hit. Broke my wife's heart.

PS He was ordered to pay $1800 restitution (Yeah, right).I contacted the DA's office 6-7 years later, thinking he might have gotten his life straightened out and had a job by then (yeah, right). They said that they didn't know where he was but, if I found him, let them know. They had a warrant out on him. [laughing]

The guy's first name was "Truth." (optimistic new parents)

Last edited:
I've mentioned it before, my grandfather was aboard the SS Calvin Coolidge when it hit mines and had to be abandoned. He fought the Japanese in the Solomon Islands. He told me about crawling on his belly to throw grenades into 3-4 Japanese pill boxes. Bronze Star for his efforts.

p21.jpg

Pill box

300px-The_Beached_Transport_SS_President_Coolidge%E2%80%94October_1942.jpg

SS Calvin Coolidge being abandoned

Our generation was raised by hero's. They were everywhere and most never said a thing about it. And now there are few of them left. God bless their eternal souls.

Just watched 2 fox squirrels playing about 20 yards from my back door. For me, it was a rare sighting to see two together. Fairly unusual to see one anymore. Growing up, I hunted squirrel a lot. It was the meat on the table. Never did like the taste of those things. FCC.
Squirrel dumplings is top drawer for me.

What's for lunch today?

Me: Spinach and chickpea rice pilaf. Fruit salad consisting of apples, green seedless grapes and navel orange slices.

Dang! Forgot the walnuts.

My wife has lots of relatives in the Austin area. Mostly out in the Oak Hill area. Might make a trip back there in the next.year. I'll let you know if I do.

My wife's father was a Texan and a WWII vet. He mistakenly killed a kid in Germany (2nd Infantry Division, probably in the battle for Brest) in the heat of battle. He never talked about the war but in his last years, knowing that he had killed that kid really bothered him.

I'm into healthy eating too. Beans and cornbread for breakfast this morning (what am I gonna do? Die too young?)

Last edited:
What's for lunch today?

Me: Spinach and chickpea rice pilaf. Fruit salad consisting of apples, green seedless grapes and navel orange slices.

Dang! Forgot the walnuts.

My wife did the big meal today. Turnip greens, smoked pork tenderloin, great northern beans and cornbread.

I am stuffed. We can't eat that every day, but when you do get it it is ssooooo special.

My wife has lots of relatives in the Austin area. Mostly out in the Oak Hill area. Might make a trip back there in the next.year. I'll let you know if I do.

My wife's father was a Texan and a WWII vet. He mistakenly killed a kid in Germany (2nd Infantry Division, probably in the battle for Brest) in the heat of battle. He never talked about the war but in his last years, knowing that he had killed that kid really bothered him.

I'm into healthy eating too. Beans and cornbread for breakfast this morning (what am I gonna do? Die too young?)
I formerly worked out near Oak Hill shortly after retiring from the service. The place has grown. Couple nearby breweries + a cidery.

Please let me know if y'all make it out this way.

Fred, Cujo, ATC, others, I am humbled by your stories and more than thankful for your service. Handshake and hug to y'all. It's because of you and others mentioned, that we have the freedom we enjoy today. My barber, now retired, hated the Japanese with a passion. He told me that they did things to women that he wouldn't even tell me. He told me that one better not enter his business. God bless. FCC.

FCC, your barber reminds me of this man. I served with and count among my friends a guy who was from the Philippines and was around five when the Japs came in. He lived remembering seeing them pitch babies up into the air and have them come down on the bayonets on their riffles. His hatred for them was intense. He retired after twenty years and was working in the base at Little Creek. He raised several children and put them through college. The ones I met were very well adjusted, so his hatred didn't stop him from living a good life.

I formerly worked out near Oak Hill shortly after retiring from the service. The place has grown. Couple nearby breweries + a cidery.

Please let me know if y'all make it out this way.

Yep. I was last there in the mid-80s. Scouting Austin out for a possible relocation. Didn't do it obviously. I kinda wish I did. There was an historic feedstore (Polk's) on that highway that my wife;s uncle owned. Google it sometime. It's gone now I believe.

Here's link for you that mentions it. Dick Polk is my wife's uncle. https://donnamariemillerblog.com/2014/02/22/oak-hills-old-timers-tell-tales-about-the-good-ol-days It mentions that Dick Polk sold Gov. Ann Richards the first Texas lottery ticket in 1992.

Last edited:
Just watched 2 fox squirrels playing about 20 yards from my back door. For me, it was a rare sighting to see two together. Fairly unusual to see one anymore. Growing up, I hunted squirrel a lot. It was the meat on the table. Never did like the taste of those things. FCC.
I have seen a black squirrel before. Anyone else?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT