ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Virginia_1566.png
Bet you could get your kicks there.

She found him. That shithead was sitting on my grill table while I had the back door open whistling for him. He was less than 10 feet from me but I didn't look over that way. I think he knew I was going to get in trouble for leaving him out in the rain. Diabolical.
He was waiting until your wife got in a dither,

Back to the WW2 vets stories for a bit. When I first went into the navy as a 17 year old drop out in 1959 there were a lot of those folks still serving. There was shack at the head of a pier at the base I was on where they had a group of moth balled ships tied up to. One day there was a big fire on one of the ships and it spread to the piers.

I was helping to fight the fires when I saw a Chief sitting in the shack doing fancy rope work while all the commotion was going on. I asked one of the petty officers with me why he was sitting there like nothing was going on, the answer I remember to thos day. "Well he survived the Bataan Death March, went on it as a seaman and came out of the prison camps a chief." I took that to mean that something like a pier burning down around him was a bit easier to take than that march.

He was waiting until your wife got in a dither,
He was. He usually comes when I call him, especially when he's been outside for an hour or two. He was out for seven today. He wanted to come in and eat the good food that the indoor cats have, not the cheap stuff the outdoor cats get. Just to spite me, he hid in plain sight. I bet he doesn't go outside tomorrow.

One of my grandfather's best friends was Colonel Gilmer Bell of Hopkinsville who was a POW and walked the Death March of Bataan. As a child, I would go fishing with Col. Bell and my grandfather every summer. Col. Bell always talked with a low whisper and a rough voice--but as a child I never asked why. 30+ years later I was on vacation and read Ghost Soldiers, which is about the Death March and it described how many of the POWs lost their voices due to malnutrition.

I simply put the book down and wept. We owe these soldiers so incredibly much. I have a small caliber shotgun that Col. Bell gave me and it's one of my prized possessions.

I like the Henry Co. Country Club course. Nice track.

Oddly enough it's been a while since I've played there. At my back door. I should play it more. I think only members on the weekend. It's a very nice course. Growing up we had a membership but we were to involved in other sports to enjoy the pool and golf so my family gave it up. Wish we still had it now.

One of my grandfather's best friends was Colonel Gilmer Bell of Hopkinsville who was a POW and walked the Death March of Bataan. As a child, I would go fishing with Col. Bell and my grandfather every summer. Col. Bell always talked with a low whisper and a rough voice--but as a child I never asked why. 30+ years later I was on vacation and read Ghost Soldiers, which is about the Death March and it described how many of the POWs lost their voices due to malnutrition.

I simply put the book down and wept. We owe these soldiers so incredibly much. I have a small caliber shotgun that Col. Bell gave me and it's one of my prized possessions.

I talked with old chief a few times and remember a soft but harsh voice also. I can't remember his name and I find myself wishing I had. Some of these guys and other WW2 vets I became good friends with. Their stories are very special to me.

He was. He usually comes when I call him, especially when he's been outside for an hour or two. He was out for seven today. He wanted to come in and eat the good food that the indoor cats have, not the cheap stuff the outdoor cats get. Just to spite me, he hid in plain sight. I bet he doesn't go outside tomorrow.

My adult daughter, who lived about 150 miles away, asked us to keep her cat while she was in the process of moving. The cat hung around our house for about a week and just disappeared one day. We never saw it again. Assumed it got killed by something. One day about 6-8 months later (maybe even longer) she was visiting. She just happened to be out on the patio one day and was missing her cat. She just suddenly called out the cat's name. Instantly her cat scrambled over the fence and leaped into her arms. TS

What Was the Jonestown Massacre?
The Jonestown Massacre, which had a death toll of 918 people, was the most deadly single non-natural disaster in U.S. history until September 11, 2001. The Jonestown Massacre also remains the only time in history in which a U.S. congressman was killed in the line of duty.

Date: November 18, 1978

I have watched this story for the past 2 hours. It is the damnedest story. How could this have happened?
The worst type of fanatic is a religious fanatic

I'm just finishing up the book "Unbroken." A book well worth reading by the way. I've seen the movie. How any of those Pacific POWs survived amazes me. After surviving a deadly plane wreck into the Pacific, two guys (one of the three died) drifted 2000 miles in 47 days in a small raft with practically no supplies.
At home, my best friends father was on a cruiser sunk at the start of the war near the Dutch East Indies. Spent the entire war in a pow camp in Burma working on the railroad. Rember Bridge over the River Kwai? He was on that railroad and other bridges but not that bridge. Hated the Japanese till he died

The events in Ghana fascinate me. It's a crazy story of mind control and human psychology. Tragic and heartbreaking.

Jim Jones was amazingly connected and well received by powerful people too. A very disturbing, yet obviously persuasive and charming, con man.
same here - got caught by one of those documentaries, then started reading up on the man, and how it all started.
He was quite disturbed - as I said before, he was similar to Hitler and Charles Manson in personality. Charming, persuasive and definitely a control freak (understatement)
Very tragic and heartbreaking, I agree - very few people realize, though, that it the suicides (forced and voluntary) didn't just happen in Jonestown. Jones' control was so far reaching, suicides occurred in other locations, too.

here's a good article on the whole thing: http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/?page_id=29478

same here - got caught by one of those documentaries, then started reading up on the man, and how it all started.
He was quite disturbed - as I said before, he was similar to Hitler and Charles Manson in personality. Charming, persuasive and definitely a control freak (understatement)
Very tragic and heartbreaking, I agree - very few people realize, though, that it the suicides (forced and voluntary) didn't just happen in Jonestown. Jones' control was so far reaching, suicides occurred in other locations, too.

here's a good article on the whole thing: http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/?page_id=29478
Did you know Manson knew Dennis Wilson of The Beachboys? Fancied himself a songwriter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT