ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

PRR-Duplex-Turbine.jpg

That's a decent time for running a 5k with your kid. I ran one with my daughter a week ago. She insisted on walking most of it, so nearly 45 min. S L O W.

Yeah, we ran the same race last year and she insisted on stopping and walking 5 or 6 times. We finished that one in something like 36:00. This year I helped her set two goals: 1) Run the entire time. No walking. 2) Try to finish under 30:00.

Proud of her for accomplishing both goals. (of course I would have been proud of her even if she didn't accomplish either goal). She even started getting cramps around the 2 mile mark. Last year she would have stopped and walked…or stopped completely until the cramps subsided. But this year she did just like Pappa Kaizer taught her…she slowed her pace, raised her arms above her head, and tried to focus on something/anything other than having cramps. Luckily we were in the zoo. Pretty easy for a girl to get distracted when there are lions and tigers and bears (oh my!) meandering about. The cramps didn't last long at all. Then she picked the pace right back up to where it was. It was a watershed moment. Fun to watch your kids overcome adversity…no matter how trivial that adversity may seem to bystanders.

BTW…I am not a runner. Those two races are the only 5K races I have ever run. Wouldn't have ran those if it wasn't for the bonding experience with my daughter. Planning on running that with her every year. And we might add a couple more 5K's this year. Metro has a ton of those races…like every weekend. But I told her 5K is my limit. When she is ready to step up to 10K she needs to go talk to mom.

93…I meant to add that I highly recommend that particular race (Throo the Zoo) for kids and novice runners. There are a few small inclines along the way…but the distraction of the zoo animals helps take your mind off of the running. Perfect for kids. And perfect for old men with bad knees who hate to run. If you live near Metro sign her up next year.

No. It's a 5K run/walk. My daughter and I ran it in a little over 28:00. All proceeds go towards funding zoo education and animal care.
That's awesome - glad to hear they do something too. Impressive time.
I only asked because MoD was the same morning and my daughter did that one - but I only assumed you were in Louisville. Sorry about that

Good Morning all, from gloomy Frankfort, KY.

Bolden: Ours or theirs?

Grey squirrels are city dwellers, fox squirrels are country dwellers.

Lots of good war stories shared from some of you guys. Thank you all for the stories and your service.

Speaking of service, have a talk scheduled with the Navy today...should be interesting if nothing else. I miss it a lot, but Active Reserve isn't Active Duty.

Read through some of the old League stuff, learned a little, bored a lot.

I was born and raised in the country, but there isn't a country bone in my body...with that said. Tractors over trains (Sorry, Don)

Ever have that feeling like the entire world is about to change? It's annoying to say the least.

Wish the rain would stop...need some Golf. I'm sure it would help get me out of this funk.

Have a good one, and welcome aboard, BKO. I've seen you post other places and enjoy reading your stuff.

28:00 for 5 K is a decent time. Averaging just over 6 MPH.

That's faster than the morning rush hour traffic on the Watterson!

Sooooo...Kaizer is faster than a speeding car...which jist so happens to be damn near sitting still in rush hour traffic.

BKO...the 5K I ran in WAS in Louisville. It's called Throo the Zoo because the majority of the race literally runs right through the Louisville Zoo. When I say "Metro" I am referring to the greater Louisville Metro area...including the city itself and Jefferson County.

And Metro hosts a ton of 5K races throughout the year. Some Saturdays in the spring/summer there will be 3 or 4 on the same day.

Good morning. First thing I did when I got up was look out the window. Wet. Bummer. Coffee is good this morning, I like it like I like my asphalt, hot, black, straight.

I think a 5K is a little over 3 miles. Would take me an hour to walk it on a good day, if I could walk that far. I might be able to run a 5Meter race though.

Do you have a rider?
Yeap. A cub cadet. I have the tractor because I pull a dethatcher and a roller. But I only have a half acre to mow. If I just mow it takes about 40 minutes. The deck is 42" and is about as small as you can get on a rider. I prefer a smaller deck but that is long gone. I have had this cadet long enough that the thread on the front tires is just about gone. May be time to spend some money soon.

Heat and humidity isn't optimal for bluegrass here. Main lawn grasses are St Augustine and centipede (cheap cover). Both are drought tolerant tho

I lived for 15 years in Jacksonville, FL and had St Augustine both times. If watered it makes a really good lawn. Both of my places had Hunter sprinkler systems and a good lawn service.

But it ain't much fun to walk on St Augustine barefooted like it is tall fescue and blue grass.

93…I meant to add that I highly recommend that particular race (Throo the Zoo) for kids and novice runners. There are a few small inclines along the way…but the distraction of the zoo animals helps take your mind off of the running. Perfect for kids. And perfect for old men with bad knees who hate to run. If you live near Metro sign her up next year.
Ours was a Girls On The Run 5k. GOTR is a club that teaches girls good values, etc... & the accomplishment of finishing a 5k. The course was really flat, but nothing to look at other than some school buildings & corn fields.

She & a friend won the 3-legged race at school track & field day earlier this week. Four elementary schools competed. She got 2nd in some other race, and attempted the hurdles. The best thing was that she had fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT