ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

The events in Ghana fascinate me. It's a crazy story of mind control and human psychology. Tragic and heartbreaking.

Jim Jones was amazingly connected and well received by powerful people too. A very disturbing, yet obviously persuasive and charming, con man.
same here - got caught by one of those documentaries, then started reading up on the man, and how it all started.
He was quite disturbed - as I said before, he was similar to Hitler and Charles Manson in personality. Charming, persuasive and definitely a control freak (understatement)
Very tragic and heartbreaking, I agree - very few people realize, though, that it the suicides (forced and voluntary) didn't just happen in Jonestown. Jones' control was so far reaching, suicides occurred in other locations, too.

here's a good article on the whole thing: http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/?page_id=29478

same here - got caught by one of those documentaries, then started reading up on the man, and how it all started.
He was quite disturbed - as I said before, he was similar to Hitler and Charles Manson in personality. Charming, persuasive and definitely a control freak (understatement)
Very tragic and heartbreaking, I agree - very few people realize, though, that it the suicides (forced and voluntary) didn't just happen in Jonestown. Jones' control was so far reaching, suicides occurred in other locations, too.

here's a good article on the whole thing: http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/?page_id=29478
Did you know Manson knew Dennis Wilson of The Beachboys? Fancied himself a songwriter.

orig-409901fc0dda0.png

I have a picture of my stepdad in his WW2 Army uniform, handsome young man. The next picture taken after the war showed that his hair had turned white, it used to be brown. He also went off to war with clear speech. He stuttered a bit the rest of his life, which was shortened by alcohol.

He did hold a steady job in the steel mill until he became ill and passed. He never talked about the war or what he had did. After his death I may have found the reason for his stutter, early white hair and excessive drinking. June 6, 1944 he had went ashore on Omaha Beach and fought in Europe until the war was won.

At home, my best friends father was on a cruiser sunk at the start of the war near the Dutch East Indies. Spent the entire war in a pow camp in Burma working on the railroad. Rember Bridge over the River Kwai? He was on that railroad and other bridges but not that bridge. Hated the Japanese till he died

37% of american POWs held by japs died in captivity (only 1% POWs died in German captivity). 16k american POWs died building that rail line (+100k Asians). Kwai was mostly fiction I'm told.

Last edited:
The events in Ghana fascinate me. It's a crazy story of mind control and human psychology. Tragic and heartbreaking.

Jim Jones was amazingly connected and well received by powerful people too. A very disturbing, yet obviously persuasive and charming, con man.
I was a senior in HS back then and remember the mass-suicides in Ghana. What a mess. The event spawned a phrase: "drinking the Kool-Aid".

Good morning gents and lady. The talk about the old WW2 vets interests me. Among my friends is a 98 year old ex sailor who was on a tin can in the Pacific during the battle of Leyete Gulf. He was in a gun tub up by the bridge when the planes came in. He had exhausted his twenty mil ammo and says he could see the pilots face in the plane that eventually crashed into the gun tub below him.

He gets to be The Grand Marshall in the parade coming up for the second time. He has a grandson that takes him to the Legion for a cold one and he still has a shot of whiskey with me at times. He does complain though because he can't see and hear as good as he used to. I tell him I feel bad for him and he gets a laugh out of that.

My father in law was in the Battle of the Philippine Sea. That was his introduction to Kamikaze air attacks. I think he went crazy because of that. He died in July 2006 and swore that if he ever saw a Japanese man on the streets he would kill him. He hated Japanese.

Because he got into the war late (signed up on his 17th birthday) he stayed in the Philippines until 1947. The Jap soldiers were still coming out of the hills and attacking the naval base and in particular when they went to Clark Air base for swapping supplies.

The Japanese were fanatical.

I've mentioned it before, my grandfather was aboard the SS Calvin Coolidge when it hit mines and had to be abandoned. He fought the Japanese in the Solomon Islands. He told me about crawling on his belly to throw grenades into 3-4 Japanese pill boxes. Bronze Star for his efforts.

p21.jpg

Pill box

300px-The_Beached_Transport_SS_President_Coolidge%E2%80%94October_1942.jpg

SS Calvin Coolidge being abandoned

• Morning, y'all.
  • 66° in Johns Creek. Rain. IFR.
  • Blood Sugar = 74. Weight = 222.
  • Dark Magic going.
  • 5 work days to go for me. My business is truly horrible.
  • Good get, Austin, "drinking the kool aid."
  • For all of the fans that enjoyed Tom Selleck in Monte Walsh, did you know that was a re-make? Lee Marvin starred in the original. Exact same story.
  • Sugar is all covered up in this 66°. Short fur. Cold natured.
  • Crows cawing.
  • Birds and critters trying to stay dry.
  • Over.

Hate to see all of the drama here in the D. I know I am late to the party (been really busy lately)…and i haven't read through all of the nonsense but I hate to see that stuff happen. Especially in a thread that was founded on a loosely enforced, yet somewhat strict "No-Drama" policy.

Having said that…maybe its for the best. Perhaps a split will keep the drama out of both threads. Kind of like the original D kept us horrible posters out of GYERO and kept them out of our little corner of the intrawebz world (for the most part).

I like posters in both threads. So i will post in both.

Carry on, jackals…

Hate to see all of the drama here in the D. I know I am late to the party (been really busy lately)…and i haven't read through all of the nonsense but I hate to see that stuff happen. Especially in a thread that was founded on a loosely enforced, yet somewhat strict "No-Drama" policy.

Having said that…maybe its for the best. Perhaps a split will keep the drama out of both threads. Kind of like the original D kept us horrible posters out of GYERO and kept them out of our little corner of the intrawebz world (for the most part).

Carry on, jackals…
We'll miss you, KS.

37% of american POWs held by japs died in captivity (only 1% POWs died in German captivity). 16k american POWs died building that rail line (+100k Asians). Kwai was mostly fiction I'm told.
That's true. The bridge in the movie was not exactly as portrayed. But there are several bridges that had to be built

Carry on, jackals…
Enjoy your posts. Warped perspectives warm my heart

We'll miss you, KS.

Still gonna post here, donfather. You are a main reason for that. I love the spirit of what you created here in the D. That spirit should live on. And I'll do my part. Besides, I like other posters here as well. Plenty of reasons to stick around.

But…i love the wit and humor associated with some of the posters in that other newer, shinier thread. So i will post there as well. If that bothers some people…i say get over it. (I know…or at least I think i know…that it doesn't bother you, don. I just think that you automatically thought i would bail.)

What i don't like is…drama. Shame it had to manifest itself at the level it did here in this glorious thread.

Keep on keeping on…

Found this bit of info.

Col. Shears (Alec Guinness) in The Bridge on the River Kwai. [The film's story was loosely based on a true World War II incident, and the real-life character of Lieutenant Colonel Philip Toosey. One of a number of Allied POW's, Toosey was in charge of his men from late 1942 through May 1943 when they were ordered to build two Kwai River bridges in Burma (one of steel, one of wood), to help move Japanese supplies and troops from Bangkok to Rangoon.
In reality, the actual bridge took 8 months to build (rather than two months), and they were actually used for two years, and were only destroyed two years after their construction - in late June 1945. The memoirs of the 'real' Colonel Nicholson were compiled into a 1991 book by Peter Davies entitled The Man Behind the Bridge.]

Still gonna post here, donfather. You are a main reason for that. I love the spirit of what you created here in the D. That spirit should live on. And I'll do my part. Besides, I like other posters here as well. Plenty of reasons to stick around.

But…i love the wit and humor associated with some of the posters in that other newer, shinier thread. So i will post there as well. If that bothers some people…i say get over it. (I know…or at least I think i know…that it doesn't bother you, don. I just think that you automatically thought i would bail.)

What i don't like is…drama. Shame it had to manifest itself at the level it did here in this glorious thread.

Keep on keeping on…
Good comments.

My Grandfather was in the 26th infantry division of the US Army and hit the Pacific Islands in October, 1944. He was standing near the beach on Leyte Island when MacArthur walked on shore.

Still with us here in Atlanta and although his body is giving out his mind is as sharp as a tack. He credited surviving the Pacific campaign to growing up in rural Alabama...he hasn't got a shred of hostility toward the Japanese.

He did say he saw a lot of surrendering Japanese soldiers get shot in the weeks after the war - that's just how it was. You don't read that in the textbooks.

Keep on keeping on…

Yep. I don't understand why it would bother anyone that a total stranger, who you are not likely to ever meet, is not interested in what you might have to say. And why the compulsion to win at any cost an argument with internet strangers?

My Grandfather was in the 26th infantry division of the US Army and hit the Pacific Islands in October, 1944. He was standing near the beach on Leyte Island when MacArthur walked on shore.

Still with us here in Atlanta and although his body is giving out his mind is as sharp as a tack. He credited surviving the Pacific campaign to growing up in rural Alabama...he hasn't got a shred of hostility toward the Japanese.

He did say he saw a lot of surrendering Japanese soldiers get shot in the weeks after the war - that's just how it was. You don't read that in the textbooks.

Ha. I understand it required several takes of his historical filmed landing before they got it right.

Very nice to read, thank you. I have served with many vets and known many more well enough to get to hear their stories. The fact that some go to their graves hating the enemy they fought and others like your grandfather who don't I find very interesting. I have known both types.

Your grandfather's take that his rural background helped him get through those times has me thinking back to the backgrounds of the people I knew. In my own experiences with things a country background has helped. An example is that in my SERE training group, I was the only man in the element that knew what to do with a live chicken.

A few days into the survival part they handed each group a live chicken and a hand full of potatoes and onions. Some of the guys had never even been close to a live chicken, let alone prepared it to cook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT