ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs Duke NBA players

WilmoreCat

Sophomore
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2005
Wilmore
So my son and I were having a discussion about Kentucky and Duke players in the NBA.

UK Duke

1)Anthony Davis 1)Jason Tatum
2)Devon Booker 2)Brandon Ingram
3)Karl Towns 3)Zion Williamson
4)Tyrese Maxey 4)Kyrie Irving
5)Shia Alexander 5)Paulo Banchero
6)Jamal Murray 6)Grayson Allen
7)Julius Randle 7)RJ Barrett
8)Bam Adebayo 8)Derek Lively
9)Tyler Herro 9)Mason Plumlee
10) Immanuel Quickly 10) Wendell Moore
11)DeArron Fox
12)Malik Monk
13)PJ Washington

These are the top players from each team.Not trying to be a homer, but there’s no comparison to top to bottom as far as who has the better players.

So my conclusion is Duke players get a bigger bump in player rankings in high school when the sign with Duke.

Coack K was a genius at taking mediocre talent and coaching them up.

If you look back at the players that have come out of Duke that were highly ranked. I would say the fail rate is close to 80%, as opposed to Kentucky, which is a much less percentage.

Kentucky players truly excel more than Duke players in the NBA.

So would you rather have top talented players and a mediocre coach or a great coach with mediocre players?

Last edited:
Is this a ranking on who is best of Kentucky NBA stars? Or just a list of Kentucky stars? You forgot Shady Sharp.

Last edited:
We Aint Done Son Austin Evans GIF

Reactions: chroix
We overall have a much better overall base. No doubt Duke got a little Coach K bump but there for a while when Cal started slipping bad they were kinda kicking ass at Cals own game it is what it is 🤷‍♂️ glad to not be reliant on Stud freshman who's best basketball will be far after they skip out of town here at the first opportunity.

That game against Duke with Zion was the end of Cal.
There was just no answer for Zion Williamson’s freakish combination of athleticism and strength. In my opinion, UK’s guys were stunned by the quickness and explosiveness and that was the biggest story in the end result. Without some very good game planning for Williamson – which it doesn’t appear UK players had the benefit of – UK’s chances were slim from the beginning. That's at least how it appeared to me watching it live.

There was just no answer for Zion Williamson’s freakish combination of athleticism and strength. In my opinion, UK’s guys were stunned by the quickness and explosiveness and that was the biggest story in the end result. Without some very good game planning for Williamson – which it doesn’t appear UK players had the benefit of – UK’s chances were slim from the beginning. That's at least how it appeared to me watching it live.

They looked totally unprepared for the duration of Cal’s tenure.

Reactions: G-PIP
That game against Duke with Zion was the end of Cal.

Yep. Cal was already showing signs he was in serious trouble in the race against Duke. It’s essentially a situation where he sucker punched K and took his shot. He landed it hard and it looked like K might hit the ground. He caught his balance and he was too big for a guy like Cal to take one on one. It was over the second he didn’t knock K out.

In the end Cal loses by 30+, most head to head recruits from there on, and ended up at Arkansas.

All of the “for the kids” and “above winning” nonsense was because he knew he wasn’t a good enough coach to overcome what was coming his way. He’s just like that, you can’t fire me I quit personality. Narcissist number 1 care in the world is making sure others don’t think they care about anything.

Last edited:
Yep. Cal was already showing signs he was in serious trouble in the race against Duke. It’s essentially a situation where he sucker punched K and took his shot. He landed it hard and it looked like K might hit the ground. He caught his balance and he was too big for a guy like Cal to take one on one. It was over the second he didn’t knock K out.

In the end Cal loses by 30+, most head to head recruits from there on, and ended up at Arkansas.

All of the “for the kids” and “above winning” nonsense was because he knew he wasn’t a good enough coach to overcome what was coming his way. He’s just like that, you can’t fire me I quit personality. Narcissist number 1 care in the world is making sure others don’t think they care about anything.
And let’s be real, had it not been for poor hydration and Dukes whole starting five cramping. The year UK played Banchero would have been a bigger blow out then what it was. Even with dukes whole team hampered. Coach K managed to keep a lead against Cal.

Reactions: Killswitch24
As much as i dislike Kyrie from a team standpoint, i think hes their best nba guy from a pure ability standpoint.

Tatum is right there too but hes massively overrated imo. Neither the best player on his team nor the most important.

After those two, duke really only has banchero, who imo will be a superstar and better than both. Hes already way better than zion unless you're counting only highlights. The rest are role players or reserves.

Ad is worlds better than anyone duke has. Sga too. I think fox is way too low but thats imo. I think fox is better than anyone duke has in the league.

It really isnt even close at all.

As much as i dislike Kyrie from a team standpoint, i think hes their best nba guy from a pure ability standpoint.

Tatum is right there too but hes massively overrated imo. Neither the best player on his team nor the most important.

After those two, duke really only has banchero, who imo will be a superstar and better than both. Hes already way better than zion unless you're counting only highlights. The rest are role players or reserves.

Ad is worlds better than anyone duke has. Sga too. I think fox is way too low but thats imo. I think fox is better than anyone duke has in the league.

It really isnt even close at all.

Yep. K destroyed the myth and exposed it as hype with no substance backing it up. He was a bastard but Coach K was the opposite of Cal in a lot of the best ways in my book. Outworking people while minimizing the hype and letting the results speak for themselves is how a dynasty should handle itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT