ADVERTISEMENT

CPAP users?

So my AHI numbers have came down. Most nights it is below 5 events per hour with an occasional night of 7-8. I purchased another mask to try, since cpap.com offers free returns on most of their mask, and I really like it. It's the Airfit P30i nasal pillow mask. I don't feel as confined. The only problem is I woke up several times with my mouth open and the sound of a hurricane coming out. :joy:

To make matters worse I ordered a chinstrap from Amazon that was rated really high but it must have been employees giving it the ratings because it was big enough to fit a person 10-11 or younger. Do any of you use a chinstrap and if so which brand/kind or where do you purchase them?
I just ordered a cheap one on line and used it for about a month and increased my humidity in my water chamber and increased the hose temperature and trained myself to keep my mouth closed.

So my AHI numbers have came down. Most nights it is below 5 events per hour with an occasional night of 7-8. I purchased another mask to try, since cpap.com offers free returns on most of their mask, and I really like it. It's the Airfit P30i nasal pillow mask. I don't feel as confined. The only problem is I woke up several times with my mouth open and the sound of a hurricane coming out. :joy:

To make matters worse I ordered a chinstrap from Amazon that was rated really high but it must have been employees giving it the ratings because it was big enough to fit a person 10-11 or younger. Do any of you use a chinstrap and if so which brand/kind or where do you purchase them?

I told all long ago in this thread (post 105) about the nasal pillow masks. I use the mirage liberty. It looks weird but it works.

You will dry out your brain one day using that. Need to cover your mouth at the same time for when you open your mouth while you sleep. The thing I like about my mask is you can replace the pillows for around 5 bucks. They last a couple months.(almost)

Last edited:
I honestly don't know what to make of my AHI numbers but I do have my follow up appt in a couple of weeks. I go from 3 or 4 one night to 11 or 12 the next. It just seems to be up and down in that range. Does anyone else see their AHI numbers fluctuate that much?

I honestly don't know what to make of my AHI numbers but I do have my follow up appt in a couple of weeks. I go from 3 or 4 one night to 11 or 12 the next. It just seems to be up and down in that range. Does anyone else see their AHI numbers fluctuate that much?

You're just ambidextrous. Nah, I don't but I do know it is better you stick with it and work through it. That machine is a life saver. (I still haven't looked up my numbers but I will.)

Just checked my stats.

With 100% mask fit most every night, my AHI is anywhere from 6 to 11 over the course of the last 30 days.
Los, probably should call your sleep center doctor they may need to increase your pressures, If its an auto machine they can either increase the low pressure or increase the top pressure. Sometimes increasing both pressures helps.

Reactions: BBUK
How is everyone doing with there masks? I just received a new mask and I am excited about it. It seems comfortable and does not seem to leak nearly at all. I am waiting on the correct head-gear but even with make-shift head gear the masked worked really well and did not hurt my nose.

airfit-f30-full-face-cpap-mask-resmed-1_600x600.jpg

ResMed AirFit™ F30 Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear

I still use my regular mask but I think any mask you use needs to be changed out now and again.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
Los, probably should call your sleep center doctor they may need to increase your pressures, If its an auto machine they can either increase the low pressure or increase the top pressure. Sometimes increasing both pressures helps.

Sorry I missed this post originally...eventful year to say the least.

I think I definitely need to mess with my pressure, as I don't feel as though I'm getting near the benefit from the machine as I did originally. I found a youtube video at one point showing how to access the admin menu to make adjustments on my bipap.

How is everyone doing with there masks? I just received a new mask and I am excited about it. It seems comfortable and does not seem to leak nearly at all. I am waiting on the correct head-gear but even with make-shift head gear the masked worked really well and did not hurt my nose.

I still use my regular mask but I think any mask you use needs to be changed out now and again.

Needed to order some supplies, so I ordered one of these as well on your recommendation. Never tried an under the nose mask, but look forward to giving it a go.

• Wow
Needed to order some supplies, so I ordered one of these as well on your recommendation. Never tried an under the nose mask, but look forward to giving it a go.

I don't think you will go wrong. I have a big nose the sizing is for width not length. The other mask I had like this one was similar but it touched the end of my nose and made it sore in one night. This one doesn't touch the end of your nose at all and is really streamlined to where there are no obstructions like most masks. I look forward to hearing your report.

Got CPAP about 2-3 months ago. Went from ~18 AHI to around 3-4 AHI on a setting of 8. I follow up with the Dr. this Monday. The nurse thinks he'll turn up the pressure a bit.

This is what I have.....

dream2__23287.1557512211.jpg

n30i_png_egdetail.jpg

SoClean.jpg

Got CPAP about 2-3 months ago. Went from ~18 AHI to around 3-4 AHI on a setting of 8. I follow up with the Dr. this Monday. The nurse thinks he'll turn up the pressure a bit.

This is what I have.....

dream2__23287.1557512211.jpg

n30i_png_egdetail.jpg

SoClean.jpg

Good machine. My seating stays at 9.5 for the most part.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Good machine. My seating stays at 9.5 for the most part.

I just wish it had a larger water reservoir. I keep the moisture on 1 but I still have to fill it every 1-2 days. It’d be nice to just fill it once a wk.....but it’s a mild inconvenience.

I just wish it had a larger water reservoir. I keep the moisture on 1 but I still have to fill it every 1-2 days. It’d be nice to just fill it once a wk.....but it’s a mild inconvenience.

I refill mine every night to ensure no impurities. Is a pain but worry about ingested molds or fungal spores of some sort. Humidifier is great though.

MAN... They sent me the F30i ...going to return it. Doesn't even look good. I WILL use the headgear for the F30 I already have that they didn't send with the masks the first time.

I have the Amara View and I experience the same problem you described with it irritating my nose on occasion. I've used it for a couple of years, and it's fine, but I think I'm ready to try something new.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I have the Amara View and I experience the same problem you described with it irritating my nose on occasion. I've used it for a couple of years, and it's fine, but I think I'm ready to try something new.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Yes, that is exactly the one that hurt.

Hello all, I have used the F30 for a few nights now. The best mask I've had. No leaks and actually no air flowing from around the mask. So cool and ridiculously quiet. That F30i should be stayed away from. All that does is put the hose end at the top of your head. The air passes along both sides of your head. Need sound to sleep? These are the masks for you.

Let me know how it goes please. I have a feeling this mask is the best yet for me. Had a 90 sleep score (excellent) last night on my fitbit and that was with my 18 month old Grandson tossing and turning all night. (His mom works nights three days a week.).

Let me know how it goes please. I have a feeling this mask is the best yet for me. Had a 90 sleep score (excellent) last night on my fitbit and that was with my 18 month old Grandson tossing and turning all night. (His mom works nights three days a week.).

Used it a couple nights so far, and I've liked it. It did leak a few times around the nose, and I had to readjust it.

It may just take some more getting used to, but other than the occasional leaks, I'm digging it. Definitely less bulky and more comfortable than the full face mask.

The ResMed Airtouch F20's leak at the bridge of my nose on occasion as well, blowing air into my eye. Really hoping the F30 works out and is my new "Go To" cushion.

What do people think about the F20 (Airfit) Full face mask? I am going to be required to have full-face (nose and mouth) mask going forward. I am still in the hospital (since July 8), and if I am not intubated (like right now), I am required to wear a full-face mask at night, or whenever I go to sleep. I hate having things on my face, but would this be the least invasive on my face? I had a far less invasive cpap before, but it's not going to cut it. I hate getting old.

What do people think about the F20 (Airfit) Full face mask? I am going to be required to have full-face (nose and mouth) mask going forward. I am still in the hospital (since July 8), and if I am not intubated (like right now), I am required to wear a full-face mask at night, or whenever I go to sleep. I hate having things on my face, but would this be the least invasive on my face? I had a far less invasive cpap before, but it's not going to cut it. I hate getting old.

Sorry to hear that. (My oldest daughter is a CRNA and her explanation of what you are going through I do pray for you.) I wore that type of full face mask for a short time but never could get the mask to seat properly during the night. It was always leaking. I have an oblong head though too. BUT, that type mask always seemed to leave marks that never went away until late in the day.

The F30 is considered a full face mask too.

Not sure of your requirements other than what you stated BUT I will also state the F30 does not have that constant air flowing through the hose as any mask I ever had has had. (The constant flow of air)

With this mask I can roll over and turn toward my wife and she is not getting hit by a constant "breeze". This mask doesn't have that issue. I previously had to turn away from my wife or sleep on my back or put a pillow between me and my wife where the air would hit her like a fan. Just a perk of this mask.

What I have recently realized is with any mask once you put it on at night you should completely reset your straps like it is the first time using the mask. Not doing that caused me to spend may years fighting more leaks than needed at night as the straps expand even during one night. Reset your straps each night. It is worth the time to do that. (To me anyway.)

Not trying to sell this mask but in a few days use it has been that good for me.

I hope all goes well for you.

Reactions: lakercat
The F20 Airfit mask leaked like a sieve for me as well.

ResMed does offer the Airtouch in that model that uses a memory foam cushion to create the seal instead of silicone. Personally, I found it to be 100x better than the Airfit, and initially it was a game changer for me.

Knock on wood...but I'm having pretty good luck with the F30 as well. I'm starting to think what few leaks I've had may be due to my facial hair. Seriously considering going clean shaven again to see if it helps.

The F20 Airfit mask leaked like a sieve for me as well.

ResMed does offer the Airtouch in that model that uses a memory foam cushion to create the seal instead of silicone. Personally, I found it to be 100x better than the Airfit, and initially it was a game changer for me.

Knock on wood...but I'm having pretty good luck with the F30 as well. I'm starting to think what few leaks I've had may be due to my facial hair. Seriously considering going clean shaven again to see if it helps.

Yeah I shaved my mustache off after wearing a mustache every since I could remember (Down to just some real short hair. Too much gray, looked like snot.) I don't leak around that area much using any mask except now and again through movement. The nose area where it seals was the issue with all my masks. My nose doesn't hurt at all. Even with the mirage liberty I got a twinge of pain wearing it but it was the least pain so I lived with it. I only slept five and a half hours last night and still had a 77 which is normally in the low 60's with that much sleep. (Using the fitbit) Yes I am excited about this mask and hope it lasts. Doesn't rub me wrong at all anywhere.

Yeah I shaved my mustache off after wearing a mustache every since I could remember (Down to just some real short hair. Too much gray, looked like snot.) I don't leak around that area much using any mask except now and again through movement. The nose area where it seals was the issue with all my masks. My nose doesn't hurt at all. Even with the mirage liberty I got a twinge of pain wearing it but it was the least pain so I lived with it. I only slept five and a half hours last night and still had a 77 which is normally in the low 60's with that much sleep. (Using the fitbit) Yes I am excited about this mask and hope it lasts. Doesn't rub me wrong at all anywhere.

You could go with something like this.......

hitler_080401095910432_wideweb__300x37511.jpg

I use the Respironics DreamWear Full Face which is similar to the F30i. The only thing I don't like is that I have CPAP hair across the top of my head when I get up in the morning. Sometimes it takes nearly all day for it to go away even after washing my hair.

I use the Respironics DreamWear Full Face which is similar to the F30i. The only thing I don't like is that I have CPAP hair across the top of my head when I get up in the morning. Sometimes it takes nearly all day for it to go away even after washing my hair.

I use a doo rag..

ce2dfce6-5897-422a-bfaa-a33e5afc5b9e_1.e39f71b49c18ebc6f1f13131d2b2d9a5.jpeg

What I use is a little more simple and lighter. An old pair of panty hose cut off. Works very well to not get that hair issue you mentioned and then the mask and hardware. (Not too hot.)

I will try that. I sleep extremely hot and the mask makes me burn up. I would run a fan at night but my wife complains that it messes with her sinuses.

I use a doo rag..

What I use is a little more simple and lighter. An old pair of panty hose cut off. Works very well to not get that hair issue you mentioned and then the mask and hardware. (Not too hot.)

Hello all, I won't keep reporting but last night I do not think I even moved all night. I turned over this morning when my alarm clock went off but from the feel I didn't move all night. Went to bed late and only got six and a half hours sleep but scored an 84 on my fitbit sleep app. (Usually anything under seven and a half hours I got no more than a 70 previously.) We shall see...

Reactions: BlueRaider22
I will try that. I sleep extremely hot and the mask makes me burn up. I would run a fan at night but my wife complains that it messes with her sinuses.

My wife is the same way. The cool thing about this F30 mask is it doesn't blow air like every other mask I have ever had. I can turn any way when I sleep and not bother the wife with the breeze the mask would make.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Had some bad leakage last night with the F30 early on. Adjusted all straps, went a bit tighter, and didn't have any problems the rest of the night and only ended up having 5 AHI.

I may be one of the few on here that require a BiPap machine, but curious what you're current settings are?

Recently tweaked mine, and they are as follows...

Min EPAP: 8 cmH20
Max EPAP: 16 cmH20
Max Pressure: 22 cmH20
Min Pressure Support: 5 cmH20
Max Pressure Support: 14 cmH20
Ramp Time: 20 minutes
Ramp Start Pressure: 6 cmH20

I use a doo rag..

Might have to consider that. I prefer that mask, but ended up replacing it with the memory foam AirTouch for that reason. It's also very good, but I'm not sure if I trust the leak % since it's not listed on my DreamStation machine.

Had some bad leakage last night with the F30 early on. Adjusted all straps, went a bit tighter, and didn't have any problems the rest of the night and only ended up having 5 AHI.

I may be one of the few on here that require a BiPap machine, but curious what you're current settings are?

Recently tweaked mine, and they are as follows...

Min EPAP: 8 cmH20
Max EPAP: 16 cmH20
Max Pressure: 22 cmH20
Min Pressure Support: 5 cmH20
Max Pressure Support: 14 cmH20
Ramp Time: 20 minutes
Ramp Start Pressure: 6 cmH20

Not sure of all those settings butMax pressure 22? Dang, mine is 9.5 with a 4 ramp up. That pressure would sure tend to cause leaks. My needs must be mild in comparison to some of you others. Yes I guess CPAP is a lot different than BiPap. (Not sure of the differences.)

Not sure if I ever see that max pressure number on any given night, but I may try dropping it down just a bit to see what happens.

Since I have central sleep apnea vs obstructive, my brain basically shuts off and stops breathing at times. The Bipap is set up to recognize this after a few seconds, and give me a blast of air to get me fired up and breathing again. Maybe that's what the max pressure is there for? The Bipap also has varying pressure for inhalation versus exhalation, etc.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT