ADVERTISEMENT

CPAP users?

Went to see the doctor who did my original sleep study, and they're trying to order a new machine for me that's not made by Philips. ResMed is I believe the brand. I still have not heard a peep from Philips after registering on their website regarding my recalled machine. I was told yesterday Philips still does not have a fix for the problem.

Went to see the doctor who did my original sleep study, and they're trying to order a new machine for me that's not made by Philips. ResMed is I believe the brand. I still have not heard a peep from Philips after registering on their website regarding my recalled machine. I was told yesterday Philips still does not have a fix for the problem.
Ya Resmed is the machine brand I have

Reactions: m080470
I have heard other brands are in short demand and the high demand is causing prices to rise considerably.

I am being sent some filters that are supposed to attach to the hose to stop anything harmful from being ingested. We shall see...(Just talked with them this morning.)

Received the filters yesterday (They look to be kind of a joke as they are nearly porous.) the caveat from what it seems is I cannot use my humidifier part of my machine as the filter device fits in between the two halves of the machine. I cannot use the electric heated hose. I may try it tonight anyway to see how it feels/ works but I sure like the heated hose to where the vapor keeps my breathing moist. We shall see... They sent me ten of those things too along with a couple new F30 masks, hoses and some regular filters.

I am going to go full in trying to find a resmed machine though. I used to use one of those but it was so old I tossed it. I guess I should have kept it but who knew...

So I inquired with my supplier resmed is supposed to come out with a new model soon - she said they get a certain qty every month and I’d probably be 3 weeks out if I ordered one through them

According to the medical supply store where the doctor placed the order for my new machine, manufacturers are only producing at a 50% capacity. So could be a delay in getting it.

So today Fedex delivered a brand new replacement Dreamstation from Phillips. They included instructions for sending my current, defective machine back to them.

I registered on the website a few months ago when this all started, but I never heard anything from Phillips or my supply place. It's possible I missed an email telling me they were shipping out a replacement, but this was a surprise today.

I guess they fixed the problem and are now sending out replacements. Anyone else receive a new machine this week?

• Wow
Reactions: Tannerdad and BBUK
So today Fedex delivered a brand new replacement Dreamstation from Phillips. They included instructions for sending my current, defective machine back to them.

I registered on the website a few months ago when this all started, but I never heard anything from Phillips or my supply place. It's possible I missed an email telling me they were shipping out a replacement, but this was a surprise today.

I guess they fixed the problem and are now sending out replacements. Anyone else receive a new machine this week?

WoW! Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen anything. I think we registered near the same time. I can hope!!! (Now, thanks to you.)

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
WoW! Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen anything. I think we registered near the same time. I can hope!!! (Now, thanks to you.)
Hopefully you'll get yours soon. If anyone here never registered with Phillips, you should do so.

Reactions: BBUK
Hopefully you'll get yours soon. If anyone here never registered with Phillips, you should do so.

I actually have two of the Dreamstation's, I registered them both and they accepted both. We shall see... One was older that I used for travel.

I’ve gotten 2 emails from Phillips stating they are working on my recall and could take up to 12 months. So we’ll see.

Yeah I had an email like that a month or so ago. May have been longer but not much longer.

I don't think I have received any emails but I signed up within a week of the website going up. I don't know if they are fulfilling orders by order of need or how folks signed up though.

Hello all,
I received a DreamStation 2 today. (Have to return the old one.) I am setting it up now..(Been a long day. A Yuengling kind of day.). I am thankful, it has been a serious worry.

Hello all,
I received a DreamStation 2 today. (Have to return the old one.) I am setting it up now..(Been a long day. A Yuengling kind of day.). I am thankful, it has been a serious worry.
How long was your wait for it?
My supplier said they can only get a certain qty every month.

How long was your wait for it?
My supplier said they can only get a certain qty every month.

I waited several months. I thought it would be longer. I'd have to look back in this thread to see exactly how long. I liked the other water reservoir better but the machine worked well last night. we shall see going forward....

I have to get some filters as they only sent one with the machine. I had plenty extra supplies but the filters are different.

What I liked about this machine is I could set it up and didn't have to back-door it. Recently told the new VA lady not to touch my machine settings again or I'd pull the modem. (On the old machine.) The Wench had the nerve to tell me when I told her that I had no business setting the settings on my machine. Yeah I am going to let a GS 5 or 7 tell me how my settings should be. (Only been using a CPAP since about 2005.) I reiterated to her, I told you what I would do. if that isn't good enough I'd also tell her director and the several doctors I have been working with. Geez where do people get the nerve to just start working with you thinking they will make YOU start all over again.

Last edited:
I waited several months. I thought it would be longer. I'd have to look back in this thread to see exactly how long. I liked the other water reservoir better but the machine worked well last night. we shall see going forward....

I have to get some filters as they only sent one with the machine. I had plenty extra supplies but the filters are different.

What I liked about this machine is I could set it up and didn't have to back-door it. Recently told the new VA lady not to touch my machine settings again or I'd pull the modem. (On the old machine.) The Wench had the nerve to tell me when I told her that I had no business setting the settings on my machine. Yeah I am going to let a GS 5 or 7 tell me how my settings should be. (Only been using a CPAP since about 2005.) I reiterated to her, I told you what I would do. if that isn't good enough I'd also tell her director and the several doctors I have been working with. Geez where do people get the nerve to just start working with you thinking they will make YOU start all over again.
Agree on the water reservoir. Overall, the machine has a great design, and it's smaller, but a huge swing and a miss on the water tank design. I hate that I have to almost pick up the entire thing to slide the tank off as opposed to the Dreamstation 1.

By the way, I saw my sleep doctor last week, and he told me not to use a So Clean or any oxygen-based cleaning methods with the new machine just in case they end up with the same problems. I guess it's just soap and water from now on.

Agree on the water reservoir. Overall, the machine has a great design, and it's smaller, but a huge swing and a miss on the water tank design. I hate that I have to almost pick up the entire thing to slide the tank off as opposed to the Dreamstation 1.

By the way, I saw my sleep doctor last week, and he told me not to use a So Clean or any oxygen-based cleaning methods with the new machine just in case they end up with the same problems. I guess it's just soap and water from now on.

Yeah, the machine is quiet so far but I will move it next to my head one evening to be sure. I normally have it sitting near the floor next to my bed.

As far as the cleaning I use only the clear liquid hand soap to clean and nothing with perfumes of any kind.

I was lucky and am thankful in that I never used the oxy cleaners. Getting ready to call to see about getting some more filters.

Update: (Told me to call them back in two weeks about the filters.)

Geez, another update: The VA already new I was using this new machine even though I received it directly from Respironics. Talk about some....

Another item if you all have never used it is a CPAP pillow. I have two but they are getting older. Very good to use. They are sending me a new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatOfDaVille
Yeah, the machine is quiet so far but I will move it next to my head one evening to be sure. I normally have it sitting near the floor next to my bed.

As far as the cleaning I use only the clear liquid hand soap to clean and nothing with perfumes of any kind.

I was lucky and am thankful in that I never used the oxy cleaners. Getting ready to call to see about getting some more filters.

Update: (Told me to call them back in two weeks about the filters.)

Geez, another update: The VA already new I was using this new machine even though I received it directly from Respironics. Talk about some....

Another item if you all have never used it is a CPAP pillow. I have two but they are getting older. Very good to use. They are sending me a new one.
Luckily my supplier was able to send me new filters the week I got my new machine. The good news is that the disposable filters on the new one are good for 30 days instead of just two weeks.

I have a CPAP pillow with the little cutouts so that my mask stays on when I'm sleeping on my side or stomach, but it's not as comfortable as my regular pillow. Also, I don't really have problems with leaks on my new mask, so I don't use it.

I'd love to find a pillow that helps with mask marks on my face. I have these little fabric covers on my straps, but I still end up with lines on my face every morning for an hour or two.

According to a site I have been checking for updates it seems the FDA hasn't given a full release yet and Phillips is still waiting on that. This may never end. 🙄

According to a site I have been checking for updates it seems the FDA hasn't given a full release yet and Phillips is still waiting on that. This may never end. 🙄

Release on what? Replacements are arriving...not sure of the speed...

Release on what? Replacements are arriving...not sure of the speed...
Latest update: On 9/27, Philips confirmed they are still waiting for FDA clearance, probably a 510(k) approval, on the new design. The approval at the beginning of this month was for the new foam design, but in order to service the impacted units, it seems FDA needs a holistic review and approval process (we don't have details). No old units being re-managed, or re-manufacturered now (due to the legal reasons, the process cannot be called "repaired"). Some patients are getting new DreamStation 2 replacement machines but they are only small portion of the entire community. How lucky they are!

That was on respshop.com

Latest update: On 9/27, Philips confirmed they are still waiting for FDA clearance, probably a 510(k) approval, on the new design. The approval at the beginning of this month was for the new foam design, but in order to service the impacted units, it seems FDA needs a holistic review and approval process (we don't have details). No old units being re-managed, or re-manufacturered now (due to the legal reasons, the process cannot be called "repaired"). Some patients are getting new DreamStation 2 replacement machines but they are only small portion of the entire community. How lucky they are!

That was on respshop.com

Thanks for clarifying. Just me but I am not sure I'd accept a remanufactured CPAP machine. new or bust but, that's just me...

Edit; Instead of making a new post, when I received the new machine I was sent a return label for the old machine. I checked every record I had and no where was the serial number of my old machine to return included. (I had two dreamstation machines and both accepted the registration which means I have two machines that are approved for replacement/ refurbishing.) In any event, I returned the oldest one.)(Kind of makes me question exactly how carefully they are monitoring this process...) Just an aside...

Thanks for clarifying. Just me but I am not sure I'd accept a remanufactured CPAP machine. new or bust but, that's just me...
I was under the impression that only the affected bi-pap machines would be reconditioned and everyone else would get a Dreamstation 2 but that doesn’t sound that way.

I was under the impression that only the affected bi-pap machines would be reconditioned and everyone else would get a Dreamstation 2 but that doesn’t sound that way.

I don't think that is the case. the machine itself (All Dreamstation's) were found to "possibly" have the carcinogenic flaw or defect. I am thankful mine was replaced so quickly. I never used any of the chemicals to clean my machine but it was still a serious worry.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Still have heard nothing from Philips regarding a replacement machine. Picked up my new Resmed Airsense 11 last Friday that my doctor ordered for me several weeks ago.

• Wow
Still have heard nothing from Philips regarding a replacement machine. Picked up my new Resmed Airsense 11 last Friday that my doctor ordered for me several weeks ago.

I wanted the Resmed machine. May be a blessing in disguise. Glad you have a machine now in any event.

I've been using a C-Pap for 15 years and wash the tubing, mask, filters, and water reservoir once a week. Wanted to purchase a machine that would clean it every day but, from what I've seen online, there's no safe machine out there and maybe a class action lawsuit or two IIRC.

Anyone else still waiting on a replacement machine from Phillips? My boss received his a couple of months ago and he registered after I did but he had a more severe case of apnea than I do so maybe that is why. Looks like they would have a site you could put your machine number in and get some sort of update. At this point it is getting very frustrating.

Anyone else still waiting on a replacement machine from Phillips? My boss received his a couple of months ago and he registered after I did but he had a more severe case of apnea than I do so maybe that is why. Looks like they would have a site you could put your machine number in and get some sort of update. At this point it is getting very frustrating.
Just curious as to what you’re using in the meantime? I have the ResMed brand machine. Luckily I haven’t had any problems with it. I will say that the replacement cushions, tubing, etc is essentially an insurance racket.

I received an update email two days ago for my second machine. Telling me they are working as quick as they can. Let me see if I can paste the body of the email.

Thank you again for registering your Philips device. We want to assure you that we have your information. Your device registration confirmation number is

We are working as quickly as possible to remediate every affected device. In the meantime, we want to be sure you know where to go for important information. You can visit our Patient Information page. We’ve recently added some quick tips. Be sure to check back regularly for continued updates.

We appreciate your patience.

Thank you.

Just curious as to what you’re using in the meantime? I have the ResMed brand machine. Luckily I haven’t had any problems with it. I will say that the replacement cushions, tubing, etc is essentially an insurance racket.
I actually haven't been using anything. My wife hates the snoring and usually ends up in the spare bedroom so I know she will be glad for me to get it.

• Sad
I meant to post this earlier but when I was in ky my cousin is a nurse practitioner and she mentioned cpap machines are having a chip shortage similar to the automobile chip issues so that could be a reason for some of the delays.

I have another older Phillips’ I take on hunting trips, glad it still works, though noisier. The insurance company years ago allowed me to have a loaner when the new one was on order, but next time I was left in the lurch. I told Apria when it was my provider to quit bugging me for replacements, that I would let THEM know, you’re right about the government getting ripped off. I use a local company now, service slower, but I’m not getting all the phone messages.

I meant to post this earlier but when I was in ky my cousin is a nurse practitioner and she mentioned cpap machines are having a chip shortage similar to the automobile chip issues so that could be a reason for some of the delays.

Philips is also taking it to the limits of compliance. They always have from what I've seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT