ADVERTISEMENT

CPAP users?

CatOfDaVille

Senior
Mar 30, 2007
Anyone else use a CPAP? I just got mine about a month ago. Took a couple of weeks to get used to having something on my face while I sleep, but now that I have and can wear it all night, I feel like a new man. Even when I only get 7 hrs, I feel like a champ all day.

Crazy that once you start CPAP therapy you realize how horribly you used to sleep. I think my sleep test said that I stopped breathing for 10+ seconds like 65 times per hour. No wonder I felt like crap and was an ahole all day.

My wife threatened to leave the bedroom. Got a CPAP and it was the best decision I have made. Sleep solidly and now I look forward to it. What people don't realize Sleep apnea is Real. It causes Blood Pressure and Heart problems. You have to make yourself use it. Don't Wuz out!! You will be glad you did.

How do you get used to it? I've tried, but I wake up about two hours later usually. If I don't wake up completely, I'll find the mask on the floor about 5 feet away where I've thrown it off in the middle of the night.

How do you get used to it? I've tried, but I wake up about two hours later usually. If I don't wake up completely, I'll find the mask on the floor about 5 feet away where I've thrown it off in the middle of the night.

It takes time to get used to it. Took me a few weeks. The big thing for me was finding a mask that was right. I had to go through a couple of them before I found one that works for me. I started with a nose-only mask and because I'm a mouth breather, I would wake up in the middle of the night snoring because I broke the seal by having my mouth open. One time, I woke up after two hours and threw the mask against the wall out of frustration.

Once I moved to a full face mask, it was much better. The one I use doesn't come up over the bridge of the nose but just sits on the bottom of my nose and covers my mouth. So very unobtrusive. Amera View I think it's called.

I still wake up from time to time in the middle of the night, but it's just for a quick adjustment, then right back to beautiful, glorious, deep sleep.

Reactions: BBUK
CPAP member for 10 yrs. Have an extra to take on trips. My choice of masks is the res-med mirage fx with heated tubing..

MirageFX2_62103.1.jpg

Anyone else use a CPAP? I just got mine about a month ago. Took a couple of weeks to get used to having something on my face while I sleep, but now that I have and can wear it all night, I feel like a new man. Even when I only get 7 hrs, I feel like a champ all day.

Crazy that once you start CPAP therapy you realize how horribly you used to sleep. I think my sleep test said that I stopped breathing for 10+ seconds like 65 times per hour. No wonder I felt like crap and was an ahole all day.
Been on one for years and it goes everywhere I go...even bought a car plug in outlet so I can sleep on our long fb trips and so the guys won't throw me out...Also have to wear a chin strap.

CPAP member for 10 yrs. Have an extra to take on trips. My choice of masks is the res-med mirage fx with heated tubing..

MirageFX2_62103.1.jpg
My wife threatened to leave the bedroom. Got a CPAP and it was the best decision I have made. Sleep solidly and now I look forward to it. What people don't realize Sleep apnea is Real. It causes Blood Pressure and Heart problems. You have to make yourself use it. Don't Wuz out!! You will be glad you did.
This is totally true! It's not easy at first, but hanging in there is worth it.

Reactions: BBUK

Went into "Afib". After all the heart test, doctors found nothing. After sleep study I found out that my one and only Afib episode was caused by sleep apnea. So yes it is very very real.

Last edited:
Reactions: Girthang and BBUK
Part of my problem is that I have always slept face down (no jokes, please) or on my side and the machine makes me sleep mostly on my back, which sucks. I have tried on my side, but it knocks off the seal when I move. Any tips?

Reactions: Captain Forehead
Took the sleep study in 2014 or 2015, and was diagnosed with pretty severe sleep apnea. Like CatOfDaville, was having 60+ episodes an hour. After the study, they told me I needed a BiPap machine, quoted me some ridiculous price of like $8,000 or more, and highly recommended I do it due to the severity of the condition. I said screw that, I'll deal with it, and never pulled the trigger.

It's still an issue, I never feel rested and my overall health just doesn't seem up to snuff in my opinion. Started doing some research and found a place here in Louisville (www.napscpap.com) that seems well reviewed, and the prices on their site aren't anywhere close to what I was previously quoted.

Saw this thread, and made an appointment for another consultation at American Sleep Medicine on Wednesday. They told me I may have to do the study over, but I'm hoping not.

Anyways, any of you guys use a BiPap machine? What did you pay for it? Did your insurance cover any of it, particularly Humana if you have it? Anyone dealt with NAPS in Louisville?

Part of my problem is that I have always slept face down (no jokes, please) or on my side and the machine makes me sleep mostly on my back, which sucks. I have tried on my side, but it knocks off the seal when I move. Any tips?

sleep on my side every night..Just gotta hang with it til ya get used to it. It is very weird at first.

Reactions: etowncatfan
Took the sleep study in 2014 or 2015, and was diagnosed with pretty severe sleep apnea. Like CatOfDaville, was having 60+ episodes an hour. After the study, they told me I needed a BiPap machine, quoted me some ridiculous price of like $8,000 or more, and highly recommended I do it due to the severity of the condition. I said screw that, I'll deal with it, and never pulled the trigger.

It's still an issue, I never feel rested and my overall health just doesn't seem up to snuff in my opinion. Started doing some research and found a place here in Louisville (www.napscpap.com) that seems well reviewed, and the prices on their site aren't anywhere close to what I was previously quoted.

Saw this thread, and made an appointment for another consultation at American Sleep Medicine on Wednesday. They told me I may have to do the study over, but I'm hoping not.

Anyways, any of you guys use a BiPap machine? What did you pay for it? Did your insurance cover any of it, particularly Humana if you have it? Anyone dealt with NAPS in Louisville?

Somebody recently told me that they do not do studies anymore if you been diagnosed with apnea. Reason being, new machines self adjust to the pressures needed. Not sure if that's bullshit or not. Couple of years back I did have to be re-tested since my last study was over 5 years old..Insurance paid for all my supplies.

MirageFX2_62103.1.jpg

The good thing about the CPAP is that still leaves you room to run a feeding tube with bacon grease directly down your throat while you sleep.

What’s the average weight limit in this topic? I guarantee over 250.

Too fat to breathe? Lolz.

The good thing about the CPAP is that still leaves you room to run a feeding tube with bacon grease directly down your throat while you sleep.

6'10", 155. My lungs are too elongated to function on their own and the 10 lbs of weight pulling down between my legs isn't helping things. Thanks for your concern.

I'm a stomach/side sleeper as well. I bought this, and it works well. The cutouts keep the mask from getting pushed off your face.

31ClCl6yuaL._AC_US200_.jpg

That's why I like the full face mask. It leaves me some room to put little pieces of bacon inside there, so that I can grab some with my tongue when I need a midnight snack.

Have had one since last September, haven't noticed too much of a difference in being fatigued in the morning, full mask.

Might have to go old-school and try one of these, funk...

gg1938w__1__.jpg

Sure it's a little cumbersome, but it'd take a whole night of Luftwaffe bombing to unseal that bad boy.
I’ll take creepy mustard gas equipment for Kids for 400, Alex

Reactions: -Mav-
Tried. Can't keep my mouth closed and it feels like you have a leaf blower up your nose if you open your mouth.

I use this one, Amara View. Covers the mouth, but not as obtrusive as other full face masks. Until I got this one, I couldn't make it a whole night.

images

Reactions: Wildcats1st
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT