ADVERTISEMENT

Could "Robbie Buckets" Avila play for us ??

megablue

All-SEC
Oct 2, 2012
Not sure, but I think he's going to Indiana State, which strikes me as possibly too low-level for him. He is 6-9 and has fundamental skills, although he does not seem to be a big-time leaper. Do folks think he could help us as a stretch 4 ?? Reminds me of Sestina, who I thought was a pretty good player for the Cats.

Last edited:
Looks slow and unathletic. What’s the draw?
Just wondering if he will develop, that's all. He was a Top 10 in Illinois and I wondered if he is overlooked. He did not get any offers from major schools, which surprised me. He may well be where he should be, but he can pass and shoot ... and his baby face implies he may have growth left. I agree, not a blowaway by any stretch, but I wondered if he is the type that could mature and help us down the road ... perhaps like Willis did. Clearly, he's not a one-and-done ... no question.

Last edited:
Just wondering if he will develop, that's all. He was a Top 10 in Illinois and I wondered if he is overlooked. He may well be where he should be, but he can pass and shoot ... and his baby face implies he may have growth left. I agree, not a blowaway by any stretch, but I wondered if he is the type that could mature and help us down the road ... perhaps like Willis did. Clearly, he's not a one-and-done ... no question.

Baby Jorts. I think Lance is filling the “project big” slot but it’s not the worst idea.

Looks like he could develop into a nice player, just doesn’t look like the type of player cal usually likes or goes after
I agree. He may not be able to play at the Major level, but it sure seems like he's going to grow. Still has a baby face. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at 6'10"+plus .... he can definitely shoot. If he does well with the Sycamores, I can see him in the portal down the road. Seems like a really good kid and a team player.

He shot 72% overall, with 42% from three and 84% from the line last season and is now listed at 6'10"/240. I think he will get taller. A great shooter for a bigger dude ... a power forward with a long-range stroke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
I agree. He may not be able to play at the Major level, but it sure seems like he's going to grow. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at 6'10" .... he can definitely shoot. If he does well with the Sycamores, I can see him in the portal down the road. Seems like a really good kid and a team player.

This may be stereotypical but he looks like a Iowa or Wisconsin type of player

Just wondering if he will develop, that's all. He was a Top 10 in Illinois and I wondered if he is overlooked. He did not get any offers from major schools, which surprised me. He may well be where he should be, but he can pass and shoot ... and his baby face implies he may have growth left. I agree, not a blowaway by any stretch, but I wondered if he is the type that could mature and help us down the road ... perhaps like Willis did. Clearly, he's not a one-and-done ... no question.
Probably why, doesn’t project athletically.

Coach Schertz is a really good coach. Plays a fast pace open floor concept. So the kid will have to be able to get up and down the floor, but if he can shoot that will be a plus.

Reactions: megablue
Nor does any other high-level program. He only had offers from Indiana State, Appalachian State, Cleveland State, DePaul, and Toledo.
Sometimes players like that turn out to be gems. Ja Morant Damian Lillard and CJ Mccolloum are just some

He should fit right in in the Missouri Valley Conference. I hope he does well at Indiana State. Be nice to see them in the NCAA Tournament soon. Havent been since 2011.

Not sure, but I think he's going to Indiana State, which strikes me as possibly too low-level for him. He is 6-9 and has fundamental skills, although he does not seem to be a big-time leaper. Do folks think he could help us as a 4 ?? Reminds me of Sestina, who I thought was a pretty good player for the Cats.

Replica of Scott Padgett

Here is a video about a Sycamore who didn't really develop until his Senior of high school. He turned out to be pretty good. Maybe "Robbie Buckets" Avila will be similar during his career at ISU ... simply half as good would be GREAT !! 😎

Here is a video about a Sycamore who didn't really develop until his Senior of high school. He turned out to be pretty good. Maybe "Robbie Buckets" Avila will be similar during his career at ISU ... simply half as good would be GREAT !! 😎

Not sure it’s accurate to say Bird “didn’t develop” until his Sr. year. His skills were apparently astonishing even as a young kid.

But what did change was his physical growth. He sprouted from 6’1” to around 6’8” in his last couple years of high school. Putting his crazy skills in the bigger body made him unstoppable. Avila ain’t gonna sprout 7 more inches.

I must say, you seem to have oddly disproportionate interest in some random mid-major level recruit in Illinois. Are you a relative?

if he does develop he can hit the portal and his new school will get him an NIL deal with an eyewear company.

Reactions: chroix
Not sure it’s accurate to say Bird “didn’t develop” until his Sr. year. His skills were apparently astonishing even as a young kid.

But what did change was his physical growth. He sprouted from 6’1” to around 6’8” in his last couple years of high school. Putting his crazy skills in the bigger body made him unstoppable. Avila ain’t gonna sprout 7 more inches.

I must say, you seem to have oddly disproportionate interest in some random mid-major level recruit in Illinois. Are you a relative?
No. I just stumbled upon him and he struck me as the type of player that was clearly not a one-and-done and might satisfy the requirements many here have expressed about Cal's recruiting. He was rated 6th in Illinois, 54th best PF overall and I suspect will grow to be a seven-footer. We've had similar players before in Willis, Harrellson, Wiltger and Humphries, so I wondered what people thought, especially since we do not use all of our scholarships. It appears no major schools were seriously interested in him, so I guess they all see the same lack of quickness and athleticism. It will be interesting to see how he does at ISU because he is such a good shooter. He should get plenty of minutes there, early on, to show what he can do.

Last edited:
He plays right on the floor. He might as well of been a 6 foot kid. Dakota Euton was a better athlete than this kid.

Reactions: Zissou87
Forgot about them, Nebraska is sorta of just there I never remember them for basketball, but I agree I guess the main point is he looks like a big ten player.
He really does. I agree. I definitely do not see pro potential, unless he grows a few more inches. He could possibly be a back-up, as there is no substitute for size with a stroke. If only Big Country could shoot the three !! 😎

He really does. I agree. I definitely do not see pro potential, unless he grows a few more inches. He could possibly be a back-up, as there is no substitute for size with a stroke. If only Big Country could shoot the three !! 😎
He needs to look at luka Garza from Iowa, Garza had a bigger but similar build and had zero athleticism but was all skill set

Reactions: megablue and chroix
He's Kyle wiltjer with post moves.
Wiltjer was Wiltjer with post moves. Kyle had nice low post skills, he just discovered that it was tougher to use them against SEC defenses.

You know, Wiltjer was a 5 star top 20 ranked McDonald’s All American who went on to be an All-American at Gonzaga. Avila is an unranked 3 star, so it strikes me as rather odd to suggest he’s some better version of Kyle based only on a youtube clip.

Probably because he is white.
I can assure you that is not a factor whatsoever. As I have mentioned, I saw the clip and so many here have wondered about why we do not sign people who might stay 4 years and develop. He struck me as a candidate, because he can shoot and is likely going to grow. I think he will possibly end up a 7-footer. He was very lightly-recruited, which surprised me because he was the 6th-rated player in Illinois. It will be interesting to see how he does at ISU. Maybe he will end up in the portal like Johni Broome did, after a couple of years. I REALLY wish we could've gotten Broome and hate to see him at Auburn.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT