ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early portal guy for UK to target

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
He’s not in the portal (yet).

As is, he’s too slow and unathletic to contribute much. But if he lived in the strength and conditioning program all summer he could be really good,

6’10 240 Indiana St Soph Robbie Avila
16,7ppg
7.5 rpg
4.0 apg
44.2% from 3 on 3.9 attempts/gm
80.2% at FT
63.1% on 2’s

He’s alarmingly slow. That could be the biggest knock. I’m not sure he would transfer well to SEC. But he is good, and crafty. Fun to watch. Don’t want to play them in first round. They’re a sneaky good team.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
He’s certainly one of the most interesting players out there.

One of the most “looks can be deceiving” players of all time. A laughably flabby pasty body, thick four eyed glasses …the most unathletic looking kid you’ll ever see on a D1 court.

Yet he kicks ass because of fantastic ball skills, BB IQ, court vision and passing instincts. He’s kinda like a poor-man’s mid-major version of Nikola Jokic.

Next years team as of now will need to find a reeves type of scorer in the portal, that’s the key spot they need

Reactions: ORCAT
Too slow and unatheltic to play in the SEC TBH.
He would need to lose 20-30 lbs of fat, and turn half of it into muscle. Would he become an athletic freak then? No!!! But he would then become minimally acceptable, enough where the skill would then really stand out.

But I recall people saying Broome was too slow and unathletic. Granted this guy is slower and less athletic than Broome, but he is also very skilled already. I think Knectct was also said to be unathletic.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
He would need to lose 20-30 lbs of fat, and turn half of it into muscle. Would he become an athletic freak then? No!!! But he would then become minimally acceptable, enough where the skill would then really stand out.

But I recall people saying Broome was too slow and unathletic. Granted this guy is slower and less athletic than Broome, but he is also very skilled already. I think Knectct was also said to be unathletic.
Cal doesn't do good with players like this guy. He needs his back to the basket bangers. And bean-pole bigs who block shots. This guy would kill his career coming to UK.

Reactions: bIhawk
He’s certainly one of the most interesting players out there.

One of the most “looks can be deceiving” players of all time. A laughably flabby pasty body, thick four eyed glasses …the most unathletic looking kid you’ll ever see on a D1 court.

Yet he kicks ass because of fantastic ball skills, BB IQ, court vision and passing instincts. He’s kinda like a poor-man’s mid-major version of Nikola Jokic.

I was thinking poor man's Kyle Wiltjer who was an incredibly poor man's Jokic.

Next years team as of now will need to find a reeves type of scorer in the portal, that’s the key spot they need
This is what I said a few weeks back in another post. Here are a few names I think will be in the portal we should get.
It depends on how his trajectory continues. If he can be top 10 I don't see him passing it up. If there's a chance he goes 18-25 range he may come back. I believe UGO and Thiero will both be back.

Look for us to add one of the following from the portal. Marcus Hill, Trazarien White, Jalen Blackmon, Clarence Daniels or Tucker Devries.

This is what I said a few weeks back in another post. Here are a few names I think will be in the portal we should get.
The drake kid “devries” is a knockdown shooter and scorer, if he were to enter, Kentucky should be agressive trying to get him

• Haha
I guess that’s where college basketball is at. Identify every underclass men that are overachieving and poach them before Kansas and UNC buy them off.

Cal won’t do it if it threatens a freshman’s playing time. Should have recruited Knecht this year. Ridiculous.
Cal has signed portal players literally every year. Mitchell and Reeves take tons of minutes from "Freshman" as you say. So did Oscar, Wheeler, Grady, Frederick, Sarr, Toppin, and Mintz and that's only from the past 3 years. Your post makes you look dumb.

I guess that’s where college basketball is at. Identify every underclass men that are overachieving and poach them before Kansas and UNC buy them off.
Yep, and can you imagine how depressing being a fan of a mid major program in this new transfer portal and NIL money era must be? Even if you get lucky and somehow land a special talent, you know the big boys are gonna come to poach him away at season’s end.

I suspect the days of seeing dudes like Steph Curry and Ja Morant stay several years and do magical things at little schools are largely over.

Cal doesn't do good with players like this guy. He needs his back to the basket bangers. And bean-pole bigs who block shots. This guy would kill his career coming to UK.
That would be a stereotype. Actually, not exactly the same, but a decent comparison would be Travis. Big, bulky, not overly athletic, skilled. Harrellson as well, who did pretty well for Cal. I really can't think of an example of a player like that Cal has brought in who struggled.

That would be a stereotype. Actually, not exactly the same, but a decent comparison would be Travis. Big, bulky, not overly athletic, skilled. Harrellson as well, who did pretty well for Cal. I really can't think of an example of a player like that Cal has brought in who struggled.
Travis couldn't shoot 44 percent from the three point line. Neither could Harrellson.

Reactions: UK90
Cal has signed portal players literally every year. Mitchell and Reeves take tons of minutes from "Freshman" as you say. So did Oscar, Wheeler, Grady, Frederick, Sarr, Toppin, and Mintz and that's only from the past 3 years. Your post makes you look dumb.
Very true. Below is the average minutes per game (out of 200 possible) each year by players who transferred in to UK.
2010: 15.6
2011: 36.2
2012: 6.1
2013: 57.4
2014: 0
2015: 0
2016: 2.5
2017: 8.8
2018: 0
2019: 24.7
2020: 17.9
2021: 72.2
2022: 129.9
2023: 125.3
2024: 63.6
So the last 4 years, about 1/2 (50%) of the minutes have gone to players who transfered in.

Actually, not exactly the same, but a decent comparison would be Travis. Big, bulky, not overly athletic, skilled.
I’m sorry, but that’s not an accurate comparative. This kid averages over four assists per game and shoots over 44 percent from three point range … from the CENTER position. Travis didn’t average even a single assist here and couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from three point range.

This guy is miles ahead of Travis in terms of passing and shooting skills. And (although he was no great athlete) Travis at least looked way ahead of this kid in terms of the athletic/physical stuff.

Two distinctly different kinds of big men.

Reactions: RunninRichie
You do realize if he aspires to make the League he must transfer right?
Signed

Damion Lillard
Steph Curry
Ja Morant
Gordon Heyward
Paul George
Paul Milsap
Kawhi Leonard
Let's also add from just the last two drafts alone:

Ben Sheppard
Maxwell Lewis
Jalen Slawson
David Roddy
Vince Williams
Patrick Baldwin (who also played mid-major for his father)

Kid ain't gonna transfer from his dad's team. Waste of time even taking about him.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Let's also add from just the last two drafts alone:

Ben Sheppard
Maxwell Lewis
Jalen Slawson
David Roddy
Vince Williams
Patrick Baldwin (who also played mid-major for his father)
I believe that Jason Parker guy from ohio is still in the league too.

Signed

Damion Lillard
Steph Curry
Ja Morant
Gordon Heyward
Paul George
Paul Milsap
Kawhi Leonard
And WAY too many other examples to count over the years.

There’s no sillier misconception out there than the absurd notion that you have to play at a big time program to make the league. Hell, I could give quite a list of just Hall of Famers alone that clearly disproves that nonsense.

If you’ve got the goods, the NBA scouts find you. Wherever you are.

And way WAY too many other examples to count over the years.

There’s no sillier misconception out there than thenotion that you have to play at a big time program to make the league. Hell, I could give quite a list of just Hall of Famers alone that disprove that.

If you’ve got the goods, the NBA scouts find you. Doesn’t matter where you are.
Yep. If you're good the NBA will come get you. It's what their scouting departments are paid to do.

Reactions: UK90 and bIhawk
You created an account just to post this.
No, I'm just a general college basketball hardcore fan and enjoy reading the Kentucky message board bc y'all got the most passionate fanbase out there. I created an account so I could like or laugh at different posts... This talk of Devries bailing on his own father just cracked me up so much I had to chime in on something thing for the first time.

Reactions: crestcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT