ADVERTISEMENT

COMBINED RESULTS at bottom of post--Poll- Win Basketball or Football vs. UofL

If you could only pick one, would you rather UK beat UofL in basketball or football this year?

• Basketball

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Football

Votes: 68 82.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HagginHall1999

All-American
Oct 19, 2018
If you could only pick one, would you rather UK beat UofL in basketball or football this year?

Mimic of the KSR poll. Curious of everyone's thoughts on Rafters and here.

The football game means infinitely more. It’s almost a no brainer. There are 34 + basketball games. Only 12-13 football games. We actually recruit against them in football etc. This football game is a must win.

It is funny because this is currently posted in the basketball forum as well and with 66 votes it is over 70% basketball.

Your argument is valid...however, Louisville is currently #2 in basketball and we've owned them for a long time...the game is at Rupp and it will play a big shot in getting a #1 seed more than likely...or can jump start that talk again.

I am a fan of both, obviously...but basketball is #1 to me so I would side with bball every time unless this game was between us and going to BCS or something.

I mean look at this series the last several years. Two times we came into the game with 5 wins and in desperate need of a win to get us bowling again, a third time we beat the best football player on the planet and jumpstarted our recruiting to another level, all three of those games were bigger than any regular season basketball game.

It may make a difference if we actually got a fair shake in the brackets in March but let’s not pretend like a win against Louisville is going to mean anything on selection Sunday. Did beating UNC matter last year? Or A AND M the day we beat them getting a higher seed matter? Or Florida the one year we beat them handily but got stuck with a worse seed?

At least in football we know what we are getting with a win, get that 6th win those two years and we are bowling, that win against Lamar got us a much better bowl and could do the same this year.

Football by far more important, unless you only care about basketball then it is understandable to choose that.

Football.. UK needs to keep the momentum and lock in a winning year. UK basketball already winningest program... as said above in a 30 plus game season.. any 1 game doesn"t mean as much until March.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
It may make a difference if we actually got a fair shake in the brackets in March but let’s not pretend like a win against Louisville is going to mean anything on selection Sunday. Did beating UNC matter last year? Or A AND M the day we beat them getting a higher seed matter? Or Florida the one year we beat them handily but got stuck with a worse seed?

At least in football we know what we are getting with a win, get that 6th win those two years and we are bowling, that win against Lamar got us a much better bowl and could do the same this year.

Good points.

Putting aside my bias for football, I can say without a doubt that the correct answer is football. It means more. A regular season basketball loss means virtually nothing. Even if UL did win that game, they lose to UK nearly every time they play us. So, what?

Now, a better measurement would be - Football win against UL or NCAA tourney win over UL (assuming the two had to match up as they did in 2012 and 2014)? That is a much tougher choice as both games are extremely meaningful.

Duh, this is a football board isn't it? I wonder which will win... Over? Under?

Reactions: The-Hack
Football, we're way ahead in basketball, let them have their fun for the basketball game, then beat them in the tourney (if they are allowed to play in it.)

The football game means infinitely more. It’s almost a no brainer. There are 34 + basketball games. Only 12-13 football games. We actually recruit against them in football etc. This football game is a must win.

Agree, it's not even close for me

Putting aside my bias for football, I can say without a doubt that the correct answer is football. It means more. A regular season basketball loss means virtually nothing. Even if UL did win that game, they lose to UK nearly every time they play us. So, what?

Now, a better measurement would be - Football win against UL or NCAA tourney win over UL (assuming the two had to match up as they did in 2012 and 2014)? That is a much tougher choice as both games are extremely meaningful.

I respect your opinion, but disagree. I think you and I suffer from the same thing...we both favor one sport over the other. I'm a basketball fan first by a mile and you said it yourself in having a bias for football.

Yeah there are more games in basketball, but let's not pretend like the Louisville bball game is the same as Utah Valley State. It is one of the 2-3 biggest games on our schedule every year. This season in particular it is of upmost importance that we win in order to be in a good spot for the one line before Jan 1st.

I am totally biased towards basketball but it is also the sport we are the King of and it is nice reminding little brother of that every year.

These are of course all hypothetical...I'm a big football fan too and hope we crush Yuavell on Saturday.

I have never understood these posts. And we get them every year around this time.

Don't respond then. Sorry, I should have posted something complaining about Gran and Stoops...duh.

It is interesting to see how much support the football program has now. This poll on Rafters and Lair is split nearly 50/50. Bet the results wouldn't have been the same 10 years ago.

The poll was up on Rafters and the Lair for 24 hours...below are combined results which almost mimic the KSR results.

We can all agree we want to and will win both! Go Cats!

Basketball= 101 votes
Football= 104 votes

82.9% football on the Lair, 82 total votes
70.7% basketball on Rafters, 123 total votes

Last edited:
Football is king of college sports and UL thinks they have a better program than we do. So I voted football and it wasn't close.

We have nothing to prove in basketball so it was a no brainer. .

Agree. And football is still the engine that drives college sports at P5 schools, partly because the NCAA takes most of the tourney proceeds from the bb tourney and the colleges take almost all (if not all) of the bowl proceeds. UK always has a bb team in contention and football was pretty poor in 2010, but football still cleared over $18,000,000 to about $5,000,000 for bb that year. And at almost all places those two sports are the only two money makers. But they bring in a LOT because of ACADEMIC donations due to their sports fans, a lot from fans that never attended that college. Academics got about a third of the $200,000,000 loan to upgrade football's facilities, but the athletic department has to pay all of it back PLUS interest.

FOOTBALL has just started to emerge as a dominant sport at UK, because basketball has had nothing but the best for decades and football support has been pretty stupid, especially since it became obvious it was the emerging MONEY COW. Other schools got a big head start, and it won't be long before our top of the line facilities are toward the bottom of the SEC again, even Vandy gets the $40M a year primarily from football. Still not sure where we stand in football income, losing all those season tickets will hurt for a long time, probably forever. And lack of support will NEVER happen with basketball, unless all of the younger generation get weaned from sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: ram1955
I respect your opinion, but disagree. I think you and I suffer from the same thing...we both favor one sport over the other. I'm a basketball fan first by a mile and you said it yourself in having a bias for football.

Yeah there are more games in basketball, but let's not pretend like the Louisville bball game is the same as Utah Valley State. It is one of the 2-3 biggest games on our schedule every year. This season in particular it is of upmost importance that we win in order to be in a good spot for the one line before Jan 1st.

I am totally biased towards basketball but it is also the sport we are the King of and it is nice reminding little brother of that every year.

These are of course all hypothetical...I'm a big football fan too and hope we crush Yuavell on Saturday.

You're right in that I do admit to liking football better than basketball; but, I can also look at this question objectively. Every single football game is meaningful b/c it impact conference race, college football playoff race, bowl eligibility, and bowl placement. The same is not true in basketball. We had a horrible loss to Evansville and we can still get a 1 seed. If we have a horrible loss in football, it never goes away.

So, I think it's a no brainer to want the football game more. With that said, I did admit that it's a much harder question when asking if I prefer to win the football game or a postseason basketball game vs. UL. I'm not sure which way I'd go on that one.

It already has. They’ve played minor opponents with 8,000 empty seats in Rupp.

You are probably correct about attendance, but the money maker for sports now is TV-------and there are probably millions watching a big UK bb game on TV, and new fans not just from Kentucky. Same with football income income really. I was thinking more in terms of the support the athletic department (and donars) give to basketball. And yes, it is a black eye and bad for either program to see all those empty seats, but TV avoids them to some extent. TV is the reason losing OVER 15,000 season ticket holders due to the dismal support for a FULL DECADE in football hurts so badly-------still. If you have a ticket paid for it seems like a shame to not use it, and now many of them have found out about how much more convenient it is to watch it on the big screen at home (or a party) is. We also lost tons of money in donations from the "microwave fans", but that has come back some, AFTER throwing money at football, a no brainer, the new football center built entirely from donations.

The next step is to court all those new SMALL income fans watching on TV, all those "microwave fans" that are still waiting for an apology. Hard to lower yourself to not just hobnobbing with the elite I would guess. Nebraska raised a lot of money by putting collection stations at the stadium entrances for specific FOOTBALL projects.

But I guess everyone has their heroes, although some choices are just unbelievable. Thanks to Stoops AND the crew he has assembled AND the SEC money from OTHER football programs we are in a great place now. Seeing the opportunity to our north AND bringing in his recruiting ace for Ohio to get us started (we can recruit almost anywhere now) was a stroke of genius. Cal and basketball has always been able to recruit anywhere, even over seas a few times, UK bb has the best that money can buy everywhere, including coaches.

You're right in that I do admit to liking football better than basketball; but, I can also look at this question objectively. Every single football game is meaningful b/c it impact conference race, college football playoff race, bowl eligibility, and bowl placement. The same is not true in basketball. We had a horrible loss to Evansville and we can still get a 1 seed. If we have a horrible loss in football, it never goes away.

So, I think it's a no brainer to want the football game more. With that said, I did admit that it's a much harder question when asking if I prefer to win the football game or a postseason basketball game vs. UL. I'm not sure which way I'd go on that one.

I think the last question your asking is easier then the one the OP asked. Definitely would be a post season basketball win, your playing for a title and a chance to stop your rival from winning one. I love UK football and the regular season is more meaningful in football so to the OPs question it would be football, but at the end of the day chances are the UK Vs UofL football game would never be for a chance at the title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT