ADVERTISEMENT

KSR reporting that Josiah Hayes tore his Achilles tendon during Spring practice and will miss the entire season

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
Hate to see this because in this defensive scheme we need 2 Noseguards. Silver is the only one now. Could let Deonne rotate over there but I don’t like him playing snaps there.

Hate to see this because in this defensive scheme we need 2 Noseguards. Silver is the only one now. Could let Deonne rotate over there but I don’t like him playing snaps there.
What about the 6ft 5 335 lb kid from Alabama that's in junior college in California Kentucky has offered him and he plays nose guard on 3 thinks Kentucky has a real good chance at landing him Dennious Jackson contra costa college can play in the fall

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost In FL
It has felt like UK has been scrambling for another NT. We have some depth with our big men, but I hate to hear this news about Hayes.

We rotate NG, but a few of these teams run up tempo and forces us to keep players on the field longer than they normally do. We need a couple of our young players to step up.

Reactions: catben
How about looking at Paul Rodriguez at NG. Certainly has the size and mobility (up back on punt team); he will not break into OL rotation and at 6'5" 320 lb he will not get pushed around.

This is surprising to me because I’m pretty sure he’s been working out at my gym the past year or so. He was working out with my partner about a week or two ago and looked fine to me.

Did unsuccessfully.

That's a tough injury compounded by him being a big guy. I would guess fall 25 at the earliest. Possible he could go by spring but no reason to push then. Those major tendon injuries are now a longer recovery than ligament. UGA has a RB with ruptured patella tendon, happened fall camp 23 and not expecting him back to mid season.

We seem to have a season ending injury every spring. Strength and conditioning seem to always get the blame but I don't think strength and conditioning can do a whole lot with an Achilles. That is a horrible injury, I have lived it first hand. Hopefully Josiah can recover from this and come back stronger next year.
All the strength and Conditioning in the world can't stop certain injuries. Breaks, Tears, things like an Achilles, especially for a big guy like that who carries a lot of weight on it, sometimes there's no preventing it. Where S&C comes into play is if you have a lot of guys who end up with strains or sprains, hamstrings, things like that. A few are understandable but when you start to have an inordinate amount that means guys aren't being taught to stretch properly or doing proper exercises to strengthen those susceptible muscles and joints. Just my opinion.

That's a tough injury compounded by him being a big guy. I would guess fall 25 at the earliest. Possible he could go by spring but no reason to push then. Those major tendon injuries are now a longer recovery than ligament. UGA has a RB with ruptured patella tendon, happened fall camp 23 and not expecting him back to mid season.
They're using some newer surgery techniques now that could hopefully speed that timetable up I believe. Thinking of how Aaron Rogers was about ready to be able to play by the end of the season after his tear, and I think Kirk Cousins tore his too later in the season and is expected to be ready to play this fall. Hopefully they look into something like this for Josiah

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/09/17/a...d-bridge-return-timeline-jets-playoffs-report

They're using some newer surgery techniques now that could hopeful

ly speed that timetable up I believe. Thinking of how Aaron Rogers was about ready to be able to play by the end of the season after his tear, and I think Kirk Cousins tore his too later in the season and is expected to be ready to play this fall. Hopefully they look into something like this for Josiah

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/09/17/a...d-bridge-return-timeline-jets-playoffs-report

Wasn't aware of that, thanks good info. But both of those are as protected as anyone can be playing tackle football and neither are 300lb+. Even with the new techniques I would be a little surprised if he were a full go for spring practice.

Reactions: delk4three
Wasn't aware of that, thanks good info. But both of those are as protected as anyone can be playing tackle football and neither are 300lb+. Even with the new techniques I would be a little surprised if he were a full go for spring practice.
I wouldn't expect Spring Practice either, but if he's in a position to resume his strength and Conditioning sooner so he's ready for fall camp, that would be great.

Reactions: Lost In FL
Could Gadson and / or Gilbert be ready to contribute? Do either or both play NG?
Think Gadson had a Spring injury too that may have required surgery. I had heard that Gadson, Hayes and Zeismer all had post-Spring surgery.

Silver, the starter, is a solid NT. Hayes was a more than adequate backup. With Hayes now out they'll have to get creative but hopefully they can sign the JUCO Jackson and get something out of him. Otherwise, they'll have to float in Walker, Ox and a couple of others occasionally to give guys a blow. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Think Gadson had a Spring injury too that may have required surgery. I had heard that Gadson, Hayes and Zeismer all had post-Spring surgery.

Silver, the starter, is a solid NT. Hayes was a more than adequate backup. With Hayes now out they'll have to get creative but hopefully they can sign the JUCO Jackson and get something out of him. Otherwise, they'll have to float in Walker, Ox and a couple of others occasionally to give guys a blow. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
Appreciate the analysis! It's so funny how a position group that seemed to have so much depth can suddenly become a big concern - would love to have Dinkins back right now - thin and tired in the middle of the D line is bad for the dog days of SEC conference play:( Where do you see Gilbert playing on the line and how far away do you think he might be from meaningful snaps?

Reactions: hmt5000
Appreciate the analysis! It's so funny how a position group that seemed to have so much depth can suddenly become a big concern - would love to have Dinkins back right now - thin and tired in the middle of the D line is bad for the dog days of SEC conference play:( Where do you see Gilbert playing on the line and how far away do you think he might be from meaningful snaps?
Thanks! Think Gilbert's a DT but he's one they'll move around from time to time to cover shortages. Good future.

We seem to have a season ending injury every spring. Strength and conditioning seem to always get the blame but I don't think strength and conditioning can do a whole lot with an Achilles. That is a horrible injury, I have lived it first hand. Hopefully Josiah can recover from this and come back stronger next year.
Me too. Floor of Memorial Coliseum. Cal’s Father/son camp.

I rehabbed about as hard as I could for a 46-year old. My calf on that leg still looks like a pipe cleaner next to my other leg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT