ADVERTISEMENT

UK Has Just Secured Their Ultimate Win Over UofL

Aug 5, 2023
I say that as a UofL fan. With everything that has happened with UofL over the last couple of years and now conference realignment, UofL long term is done for.

Most UofL fans will still be in denial and will never admit it but UofL is done. UofL picked a bad time to be bad in both major sports. With conference realignment it's only a matter of time before the SEC takes 4 teams from the ACC and while it might be a few years long term there's nothing UofL can do about it. And unlike some delusional UofL fans I'll admit there's no way UofL is getting into the SEC or Big 10.

At best UofL will end up long term in the Big 12 but even that is not for certain. With the addition or Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah there's only 4 spots left and that's if the Big 12 doesn't get more Pac 12 schools like Stanford, Cal, Oregon State or Washington State. I think Cal will go Independent or drop football before they join the Big 12 and I think Stanford will go Independent and will wait to go to the Big 10 with Notre Dame. With that said I could still see Oregon State (maybe not so much Washington State, they are doomed most likely to the Mountain West) maybe getting into the Big 12. Even if it comes down to the ACC I'm sure we would all agree the Big 12 is most likely taking Miami first simply due to location and recruiting. After that I could easily see schools like NC State and Virginia Tech (if they don't go to the SEC) being above UofL and even schools like Pittsburgh possibly being above UofL. While I think UofL would ultimately end up in the Big 12 if the ACC dissolves I don't think it's a guarantee like most UofL fans think.

But beyond all that. The horrific basketball team that our Athletic Department could care less about (if they cared at all Payne is gone last season), the lack of leadership with the President and the AD and the lack of investment and the lack of vision regarding NIL has soured me on UofL as a whole.

Even if UofL goes join the Big 12 the school is done. Congratulations UK, you have just secured the ultimate win. By being in the SEC you will always have more money for coaches, facilities and recruiting. If the SEC and the Big 10 break away from the NCAA for football you will always have the chance, no matter how slim, of a National Title. Whereas UofL will once again be locked out and never have that chance. Even if Brohm succeeds at UofL there will be the risk of an SEC or Big 10 school poaching him. I now wonder if he regrets his decision knowing now that UofL is once again in a precarious position regarding conference realignment. It's very frustrating as I truly believed UofL was set long term once they got in the ACC. That UofL would never deal with this again and alas here we are again.

Congratulations UK from a now former UofL fan. I seriously doubt you'll have much to worry about from UofL going forward, at least in football and men's basketball. While I mostly grew up in Louisville and most of my family live in Louisville I did partially grow up in Louisiana and always cheered for LSU as my secondary team. LSU was definitely the team I wanted to see do well in terms of SEC teams. Considering I don't even live in Louisville anymore I'll probably switch to cheering for LSU primarily. But congratulations again on your ultimate victory over UofL.

LSU is a great choice. If you haven't been to a night game there, you must go. The atmosphere is absolutely amazing.

It's been on my list. Honestly living in Florida now I've found myself cheering more and more for LSU anyway and less and less for UofL the last several years. LSU fans are just more fun in general. Yes they are intense but still mostly fun. I'll be at the LSU-FSU game in Orlando the first CFB weekend.

UofL fans are honestly too snobbish for their own good. Outside of really big opponents and rivalries like UK the atmosphere isn't that great. I can't tell you how many times fans want you to sit down, even during a really exciting moment.

I mostly grew up in Louisville but did spend about 5 years when I was young growing up in Slidell just outside New Orleans. Ironically I go to New Orleans far more often than I go to Louisville. I've been a long time Saints fan since Louisville doesn't have an NFL team and that's who I chose as a child. That alone puts you in contact with a lot of LSU fans. At this point I only go to Louisville once a year at Thanksgiving to see extended family.

Plus I've always genuinely wanted to be part of a university that had the whole state behind it. A truly big fan base where you can run into fans in other areas. Living in Florida you really don't see any UofL fans. You see plenty of LSU fans though as well as fans of other SEC teams, including UK. Living in Florida you realize just how relatively small the UofL fan base is.

With Brian Kelly definitely looking forward to getting to a game in Death Valley soon!

Reactions: Burgcatfan
I say that as a UofL fan. With everything that has happened with UofL over the last couple of years and now conference realignment, UofL long term is done for.

Most UofL fans will still be in denial and will never admit it but UofL is done. UofL picked a bad time to be bad in both major sports. With conference realignment it's only a matter of time before the SEC takes 4 teams from the ACC and while it might be a few years long term there's nothing UofL can do about it. And unlike some delusional UofL fans I'll admit there's no way UofL is getting into the SEC or Big 10.

At best UofL will end up long term in the Big 12 but even that is not for certain. With the addition or Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah there's only 4 spots left and that's if the Big 12 doesn't get more Pac 12 schools like Stanford, Cal, Oregon State or Washington State. I think Cal will go Independent or drop football before they join the Big 12 and I think Stanford will go Independent and will wait to go to the Big 10 with Notre Dame. With that said I could still see Oregon State (maybe not so much Washington State, they are doomed most likely to the Mountain West) maybe getting into the Big 12. Even if it comes down to the ACC I'm sure we would all agree the Big 12 is most likely taking Miami first simply due to location and recruiting. After that I could easily see schools like NC State and Virginia Tech (if they don't go to the SEC) being above UofL and even schools like Pittsburgh possibly being above UofL. While I think UofL would ultimately end up in the Big 12 if the ACC dissolves I don't think it's a guarantee like most UofL fans think.

But beyond all that. The horrific basketball team that our Athletic Department could care less about (if they cared at all Payne is gone last season), the lack of leadership with the President and the AD and the lack of investment and the lack of vision regarding NIL has soured me on UofL as a whole.

Even if UofL goes join the Big 12 the school is done. Congratulations UK, you have just secured the ultimate win. By being in the SEC you will always have more money for coaches, facilities and recruiting. If the SEC and the Big 10 break away from the NCAA for football you will always have the chance, no matter how slim, of a National Title. Whereas UofL will once again be locked out and never have that chance. Even if Brohm succeeds at UofL there will be the risk of an SEC or Big 10 school poaching him. I now wonder if he regrets his decision knowing now that UofL is once again in a precarious position regarding conference realignment. It's very frustrating as I truly believed UofL was set long term once they got in the ACC. That UofL would never deal with this again and alas here we are again.

Congratulations UK from a now former UofL fan. I seriously doubt you'll have much to worry about from UofL going forward, at least in football and men's basketball. While I mostly grew up in Louisville and most of my family live in Louisville I did partially grow up in Louisiana and always cheered for LSU as my secondary team. LSU was definitely the team I wanted to see do well in terms of SEC teams. Considering I don't even live in Louisville anymore I'll probably switch to cheering for LSU primarily. But congratulations again on your ultimate victory over UofL.
I think you sum the situation up well. Hard to take for LV fans that UC is in a better spot than LV now. Also gets away from LV being a UK rival as they'll be in a lower tier. I'm happy all the way around.

Reactions: EliteBlue

Since I've been banned from the card board because I'm a Kentucky fan, can you please cut and paste this to their board? I would love to see the responses you get.

I think you sum the situation up well. Hard to take for LV fans that UC is in a better spot than LV now. Also gets away from LV being a UK rival as they'll be in a lower tier. I'm happy all the way around.

Yep both of UofL's historic rivals (UK and UC) are in better positions now than UofL.

Heck I'm in Orlando now and it's amazing how UCF has blown by UofL. When I first moved here UCF was largely nothing and now UCF has an undefeated season and (while I think it's largely mythical) a "National Title". They have more of a claim to one than UofL. They have a nice football stadium that I think they are going to expand and a nice basketball stadium (even though their basketball team is junk).

While UofL did sweep UCF in the recent football series long term UCF is in the better position. Better recruiting, a young but growing fan base (UCF dwarfs UofL in terms of students and even if only 25% of those students become diehard UCF fans that's still a good alumni base to draw from) and for now a better conference situation.

Plus I know UofL fans will never get over UCF beating them in football in 2013 and taking away what would have been a guaranteed New Year's Six bowl. UCF has been three New Year's Six bowls since UofL was last in a major bowl.

Honestly last year's UofL game against UCF in Orlando was when it first hit me that I had really started to lose my UofL fandom. The way some of the UofL fans were talking smack and being disrespectful in the stands but more than that after the game when UofL fans were talking about their tailgating plans for the next game and local stuff going on. It was really what made me start to realize I was largely disconnected from the rest of the UofL fan base and really didn't care.

Your commisioner made a wise move making the GOR so expensive to leave. I think you are correct about conferences poaching ACC teams, but I don’t think it will happen too quickly.

The ACC looked strong just a few years ago, so who knows what will happen in the next couple of years. I’m guessing they will open up the checkbook to ND. They’ll probably offer ND and a few other schools a bigger piece of the pie. Boston, Ga Tech, and a few others will scream about the inequity. But, where are they going to go????

It will be interesting to watch conference alignments (possible super conferences) over the next couple of years.

Your commisioner made a wise move making the GOR so expensive to leave.
I think the GOR screwed over the top teams making it too expensive to leave and screwed over the 2nd tier teams by not letting the conference fall apart. They held on to hope everything would be ok so the Big 12 went west because the Pac 12 fell first. Really the bottom teams in the ACC being able to collect a larger check for a few extra years are the only real beneficiaries. Only a few spots left at this point and UofL is on the outside looking in, likely for good this time.

I think the GOR screwed over the top teams making it too expensive to leave and screwed over the 2nd tier teams by not letting the conference fall apart. They held on to hope everything would be ok so the Big 12 went west because the Pac 12 fell first. Really the bottom teams in the ACC being able to collect a larger check for a few extra years are the only real beneficiaries. Only a few spots left at this point and UofL is on the outside looking in, likely for good this time.

That's where the GOR could end up really hurting UofL. I think the goal is to get to 20 and the Big 12 is now at 16. While the ACC schools, including UofL, fight the GOR, I could easily see the Big 12 adding Oregon State and Washington State to get to 18 or maybe Oregon State and UConn (establish the best basketball conference without question and give WVU, UC and UCF an additional east coast team). The ACC schools could end up fighting over 2 spots in the Big 12.

This!

-re: crowd and tradition.

-I have friends that are old school Louisville fans...there just aren't that many. Louisville is a great city with a lot of diverse industry...because of that much of the "business leadership" are transplants with no real ties to the school, that stuff matters. Its entertainment to them, not part of their culture.

^a curse of an historically smallish school in an urban area...honestly it's done well when you consider it's peers. Miami, UC, Pitt and Memphis are its peer group.

-I think cards fans got a false sense of accomplishment due to success in minor leagues...and their P5 in-state rival being saddled with probation, and later Joker.

-in the end I think the big12(or whatever it'll be called) is the best case landing spot...and I think that is likely.

The fact that you put any blame on Kenny Payne for coming into a situation that you clowns let happen over the last decade plus is all I need to know. You idiots deserve to watch your athletic department die. Can't even acknowledge what the actual problem was.

FYI: it started with banging skanks in the middle of a restaurant and getting a raise for it.

You dug the hole.

I feel your pain. I'm not a fan of the "super conference" structure either. They do away with divisions and have a 16-20 team SEC and B10, you end the season with 10 or more teams with 2 loss records and then the arguments begin about who gets into the playoffs and who is on the outside looking in.

Total opposite of the NFL that structure the league into two equal conferences with an equal number of divisions. Win a division and you have done something and get to advance. Instead college football has opted for some opinions from so-called experts to decide who gets to play for the championship.

They could put a team of chimpanzees in charge of the NCAA and they could do a better job.

I congratulate you for your situational awareness and candor. But while a certain amount of this is true, especially regarding conference evolution more generally, I dispute the narrative that UK athletics "just" outdid UL athletics. In reality, we are witessing a separation that has been in progress for a long time. The truth is that UK athletics have been on a more and more productive arc for the last two decades, notwithstanding very brief backslides associated with Joker Phillips and Billy Gillispie. Meanwhile UL athletics have been plagued by lack of institutional control, cheating, scandal after scandal, crime after crime, a revolving door in the athletic director's office, toxic envy, and public relations ineptitude.

I can speak only for myself, but it has been a number of years since I personally regarded UK versus UL as a "rivalry". I attend some nonconference games from time to time, especially bowl games, but my focus and interest are on the SEC. I would remind you that UK is a founding SEC member. Ever since Mark Stoops arrived here a decade ago, he has been turning SEC football series around in our favor. First, SCar and Vandy, then MO. Then FL and MS St. I suspect the process will continue in our favor in 2023-24. In basketball, the series has always been primarily controlled by UK. UL has had some wins, but your program was cheating. It is good for you that you are coming to grips with it. Most UL fans apparently never will.

I think UofL ends up in the Big12 with a lot of their old rivals like WVU and Cincy. Not worst outcome but will be on the outside looking in as far as the big boy conferences go.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
2 weeks ago I would have said UofL would end up in the Big 12, now Im not so sure and would actually lean toward them being left out. I think they are 8th-11th in the ACC pecking order only clearly ahead of Wake, BC, and Syracuse. At that position the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 could all get to 20 teams without them. Dont see any real reason for the SEC/Big 10 to have more than 40 combined teams or for the Big 12 to have more than 20, just more mouths to feed.

Obviously they aren’t getting into the SEC or Big 10, so maybe there are 4 spots left for them in the Big 12. Will they get in? Maybe, it depends on how things unfold before them. I do think the Big 12 has taken lesser brands at this point than UofL, but that doesn’t mean they would be a take. I doubt the Big 12 would get any more playoff guarantees with 24 teams than they would with 20 so why take more? It’s not like UofL would add value to a TV contract for everyone.

Last edited:
Pretty realistic post, but maybe a tad fatalistic.

UL has a lot invested in athletics, certainly more than some of these other schools that are getting invitations to the Big 12. The question is when does diminishing marginal returns kick in? If the Big 12 is already at 20 schools when the ACC breaks apart, I doubt they'll want to take 7-8 more schools. I'd guess that FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA are definitely bound for either the SEC or BIG. After that Miami, Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, and NC state are all next in line to possibly get an invitation to the Big 2 conferences. If they don't then they're all more attractive to the Big 12 than UL would be.

After that, you have UL, Pitt, Syracuse, Wake Forest, and BC fighting it out a spot at the kids table (the big boys tables are already full).

Can you imagine the meltdown over there? UL going back to AAC or CUSA? Glorious and funny.

Honestly not really. 10 years ago, absolutely. But I've essentially moved on, that was the point of the post. Even 5 years ago I could've never made that post.
I will generally agree with your view of the future.

But I must nitpick: UK has not “secured” this outcome. It was handed to us during a five-seven year period of revelations of pretty squalid issues at U of L.

Short only of Penn State’s hideous issues,, U of L had a stunning moral, philosophical, financial and administrative meltdown, that constituted a persistent “drip, drip, drip,” effect, which was worse even than Penn State’s circumstances which resolved more quickly.

I will not list the issues, most of which served some period of time on the “banners” of ESPN and other sports shows, but will just remind that there were many, scattered over at least 5 years.

This has left the small but loyal fan base reeling. To this day, there are posts on public forums defending the former President, Jurich, Petino and Petrino, with some hankering for their return, or at least a return to the era and errors that ultimately pummeled U of L into near oblivion.

And there are posts that go beyond yours: some few blame UK, directly, for the half-decade of dark and decadent revelations.

And some have left the Cardinal’s nest, completely: the moral excesses and quandaries simply proved too much for some to withstand.

Even visiting a Cardinal Forum has become off limits to almost all . . . . except for the tortured minority who tenaciously clung to the sinking ship.

And in a sense, I can feel their pain. All any rival need post or speak of to re-open the multiple, massive wounds are one-word or brief memes unique to U of L’s folly and decade of regret . . . Sypher, U6, strippers, stripped title, Papa John’s, extortion, Yum Deal, Ramsey, guns, etc., etc.

You say that U of L has chosen a poor time to be weak in the two prominent revenue sports.

This is true.

But in retrospect, that weakness was forced upon a gullible and complicit fan base that tolerated so much for so long, that many lost their inherent sense of dignity and still openly pine for a return to the cesspool from which they were forcibly extracted.

Last edited:
Statistics
SportFootball
First meetingOctober 26, 1912
Kentucky, 41–0
Latest meetingNovember 26, 2022
Kentucky, 26–13
Next meetingNovember 25, 2023 (Louisville)
StadiumsKentucky - Kroger Field
Louisville - Cardinal Stadium
TrophyThe Governor's Cup
Meetings total34
All-time seriesKentucky, 19–15[1]
Largest victoryKentucky, 73–0 (1922)
Longest win streakKentucky, 7 (1912–1994)
Current win streakKentucky, 4 (2018–present)

Remember when ul fans bragged about just dominating in football? LOL.

That's where the GOR could end up really hurting UofL. I think the goal is to get to 20 and the Big 12 is now at 16. While the ACC schools, including UofL, fight the GOR, I could easily see the Big 12 adding Oregon State and Washington State to get to 18 or maybe Oregon State and UConn (establish the best basketball conference without question and give WVU, UC and UCF an additional east coast team). The ACC schools could end up fighting over 2 spots in the Big 12.
There's an argument to be made for both sides of the GOR. I'm fairly certain Fla State would be gone if not for the GOR. (They're complaining about it today.) Once 1 or 2 teams leave then things can quickly snowball. ie...PAC 12. GOR prevents it, or at least is slowing it down. The other side is the "tweener" schools like UL who want to follow Colorado's lead and be one of the first teams to latch onto a stronger conference. GOR prevents that from happening.

Everyone predicted the Big 12's death when OU and Tx announced their departure. Who would have thought on that day they would consume PAC 12 schools??? Much can change very quickly. ND is the wild card. If the ACC can somehow open up the checkbook and get them in the conference it will solidify the conference for the foreseeable future. That's a BIG IF!

Reactions: The-Hack
I’m as blue as they come but must point out that at our recent QB club luncheon when Jeff Broehm was the speaker we had an historic high turnout. So there still is s very loyal fan base . If Brohm is successful and KP has a good year with his additions people tend to think about the present and forget pass issues.

Best outcome imo for LV from an LV perspective, not mine, is to immediately get an invite into the B12 if the ACC is dissolved & then join the presumed other 7 who want it dissolved in doing so. I think 8 of 14 is enough for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT