ADVERTISEMENT

College basketball writer ranks UK 2nd

Exactly what I’ve been saying. How in the world he was second in defensive rating I’ll never know. That doesn’t even make sense to me.
Impressive run of not knowing what you're talking about. Maybe you can be wrong in 4-5 more threads today and run the table.

It looks to me like that everyone that ranks college basketball teams, has Gonzaga ranked ahead of Kentucky. So the answer to your question is everyone.
Including you —the not-so-secret Zag Nut. For the record, I was making a joke about someone “only” ranking Kentucky #2, when pre-season at least, 10-15 is probably more accurate. But one thing is for sure: at the END of the season someone besides Gonzaga will cut down the nets. The greatest chance that Giant-Among-Midgets program will ever have was COVID year. And you didn’t get it done.

Regardless of where we are ranked preseason, beating Dook the first game would certainly be a a great way to start the season after our 9-win disaster.
You think the Cats are going to beat duke ? Their piece of shit coach is retiring. It will be 5 on 8 before the teams even step on the floor. If you think that duke has gotten all the breaks from the reffs before, just wait till this year. Duke players will be flopping even when there is not a Kentucky player around them, and it will be a charge. The breaks that duke will get this year will be even more sickening than it has been in the past. Kentucky will have the better players, but if the win it will suprise me. I just don't think they will be allowed to win.

Including you —the not-so-secret Zag Nut. For the record, I was making a joke about someone “only” ranking Kentucky #2, when pre-season at least, 10-15 is probably more accurate. But one thing is for sure: at the END of the season someone besides Gonzaga will cut down the nets. The greatest chance that Giant-Among-Midgets program will ever have was COVID year. And you didn’t get it done.
You can say they won't cut down the nets about all 353 college basketball teams and you would only be wrong once, so your statement doesn't mean jack shit.

They no longer have Suggs at PG. Their backcourt takes a big hit there.

They have Freshman Nolan Hickman (former UK signee) projected as their starting PG. He is a far cry from Suggs.
What about Andrew Nembhard? I thought he was coming back to Gonzaga for next season. If so, I would think Hickman will be the backup PG as a freshman (a perfect spot for him), and a real problem for other teams as a sophomore.

What about Andrew Nembhard? I thought he was coming back to Gonzaga for next season. If so, I would think Hickman will be the backup PG as a freshman (a perfect spot for him), and a real problem for other teams as a sophomore.
Once again, nobody on their roster is replacing Suggs. Did anyone watch Suggs play last year?

When you lose an All-American, you usually take a step back. Gonzaga is still going to be a great team, but not as good as last year’s team. Regardless, they are still Final Four caliber, I just don’t think they easily replace Suggs.

Once again, nobody on their roster is replacing Suggs. Did anyone watch Suggs play last year?

When you lose an All-American, you usually take a step back. Gonzaga is still going to be a great team, but not as good as last year’s team. Regardless, they are still Final Four caliber, I just don’t think they easily replace Suggs.
This...

One of the most meaningless things in all of sport are the preseason rankings. We're in the mix with a good team as Cal was very aggressive in changing things up after last season and I like our chances. We'll know a lot about this team right off the bat vs Duke as it will be 5 on 8 all day long and if they can overcome that then that will mean a whole lot more than any preseason ranking.

I watched Suggs play some last season. But that wasn't my point. I thought you said Hickman was going to be the starting PG for Gonzaga, and I wondered if maybe Nembhard was going in the draft. If not, based on my viewing of Gonzaga a handful of times and reading a little about them, I would think Nembhard - who looks like a very nice college PG to me - would be the starting PG.

There’s many a UK fan that shares my opinion, that Brooks was terrible last season, for the most part. He did rebound very well, I’ll give him that. As far as every other aspect, he was abysmal.
I called him butters last year. His handle was pretty bad. He and Sarr would fumble the ball most times they received it in the post. He constantly drifted out and took 3s that he mostly missed and too often showed a low BB IQ when he was the returnee we were counting on.

I get he started out with an injury and last year was a cluster F***, but he wasn't great last year. I hope he takes a big step forward this year, but I think others will push him for minutes and I see him as more of a role player than a guy we build around. If we really do play a lot of our guards Toppin will really push him for minutes. Toppin showed much more of a ceiling last year in a year he wasn't even supposed to play.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Impressive run of not knowing what you're talking about. Maybe you can be wrong in 4-5 more threads today and run the table.
Everyone seems to agree with me that Brooks played like shit last season, regardless of all these analytics people wanna try to use. Numbers don’t always tell the whole story. Only person running the table on being wrong is you, clown.

Brooks definitely wasn't great but FWIW he took the highest % of the shots out of everyone while he was on the court. I think last year was a case of Brooks maybe doing a little bit more than he should have. Just because out offense was so bad as a whole he felt like he had to do more.

We should be better on offense this season. I don't think we will have to rely on him as much offensively and thus that alone should make him a more efficient player next seasonl.

How can you say Brooks was terrible? He made a big jump from year 1. He was also our best rebounder. He was a solid scorer. Just not a good 3 point shooter. However he was inconsistent. But he was 1 of our top 3 best players. And had games where he was our best. If he has the same improvement from year 2 to 3 like he did from 1 to 2, I’ll be very pleased
Brooks biggest issue by far was not showing up a lot of games. One of those guys that can be great one game and take off the next one. If he starts that stuff this year maybe they will start and play Toppin most of the time because his effort was very consistent from game to game.

Nembhard will be back. Few likes to have 2 point guards in the lineup together, so Nembhard and Hickman will probably both be starting, and unlike a lot of you on here are saying, Hunter Sallis is not a point guard, and he may be starting as well.

Everyone seems to agree with me that Brooks played like shit last season, regardless of all these analytics people wanna try to use. Numbers don’t always tell the whole story. Only person running the table on being wrong is you, clown.
Brooks has the athletic ability and size to go to another level this coming season. And that’s really all I care about. And I strongly feel he’s surrounded by enough talent now to help achieve that new level.

Brooks has the athletic ability and size to go to another level this coming season. And that’s really all I care about. And I strongly feel he’s surrounded by enough talent now to help achieve that new level.
I agree with you on both. But, for people to sit here and pretend that Brooks was some great performer and pissed excellence last season just isn’t the case.

If someone didn’t notice him being consistently lost on both ends of the floor last season, then I just don’t know what to say. Hell, there were several games that Cal got so aggravated with Brooks that he just yanked him out of the game, in a very noticeable frustrating fashion.

Like I said, we need Brooks to clean that up and take a huge step forward. He didn’t improve that much from his first year, outside of rebounding. He just got more PT IMO.

Nembhard will be back. Few likes to have 2 point guards in the lineup together, so Nembhard and Hickman will probably both be starting, and unlike a lot of you on here are saying, Hunter Sallis is not a point guard, and he may be starting as well.
Most projected starting lineups have Hickman at the 1, Nembhard at the 2, and Sallis at the 3. All three have some PG skills, but Hickman is probably the closest of the 3 of them to a true PG. Nembhard is a good scorer off the ball, which is why he will likely play at the 2.

Also, to hammer home my point that Gonzaga will be down a notch, remember that Krispert and Ayayi are also gone. They aren’t going to be easy to replace.

The frontcourt with Timme and Holmgren leading the way will be pretty good, but the backcourt is down compared to last season.

Lucky for them, the rest of college basketball is down as well.

But I can’t see them being as good without Suggs, Krispert, and Ayayi.

No way Gonzaga should be ranked ahead of us after what Cal hauled in this off-season.
I wouldn’t go that far, considering we were a 9 win team last season and they almost went undefeated and almost won the title. They lost a lot, but they brought in a great class with Holmgren, Sallis, and Hickman leading the way. Also, they return one of the best players in the country in Timme.

How do you only win 9 games with the most talent in the country? Dude love aka coach cal can recruit but he can't coach worth a darn.

this is true...plenty of people on here predicting an undefeated season.
All I ever saw was sarcasm, there was no legit "we're going 40-0" comments that I ever saw and no, I'm not going to be an ass and tell you to pove it, I'm just saying I never saw anyone legit predict 40-0 last year.

I see. Well, that looks to be a little less shooting than you normally see from Gonzaga in the 1-3 spots, doesn't it? Maybe better athletes and upside I suppose, but not the same 3 pt. shooting. I guess a fan can rationalize away any perceived weaknesses, but to me the shooting efficiency has the potential to be a bit of an issue; and I think it's going to be harder to replace Kispert than Suggs. Still the potential for a very good team, though.

I see. Well, that looks to be a little less shooting than you normally see from Gonzaga in the 1-3 spots, doesn't it? Maybe better athletes and upside I suppose, but not the same 3 pt. shooting. I guess a fan can rationalize away any perceived weaknesses, but to me the shooting efficiency has the potential to be a bit of an issue; and I think it's going to be harder to replace Kispert than Suggs. Still the potential for a very good team, though.
Agreed. All I know is that I’m not worried even one iota about Gonzaga. If they couldn’t win it with the team they had last season, in a Covid restricted year, they never will IMO.

The back end of their schedule (conference) really hurts that program IMO. I’ve been saying it forever. When you go three months beating up on teams far inferior to you, it’s going to hurt your team.

It hurts from the standpoint that you’re not battle tested and playing close, grind out games. You need those type of games to prepare you for the tournament. It also hurts from the standpoint that you’re competing against teams that aren’t anywhere near as athletic and/or as physical as the teams you’re going to play in the latter rounds of the tournament. Iron sharpens iron.

Agreed. All I know is that I’m not worried even one iota about Gonzaga. If they couldn’t win it with the team they had last season, in a Covid restricted year, they never will IMO.

The back end of their schedule (conference) really hurts that program IMO. I’ve been saying it forever. When you go three months beating up on teams far inferior to you, it’s going to hurt your team.

It hurts from the standpoint that you’re not battle tested and playing close, grind out games. You need those type of games to prepare you for the tournament. It also hurts from the standpoint that you’re competing against teams that aren’t anywhere near as athletic and/or as physical as the teams you’re going to play in the latter rounds of the tournament. Iron sharpens iron.
Agree and let's be honest not every coach handles freshman as well as others and they could have 3 starting next season. That weak second half of the season schedule could lead to some fools gold and over confidence

In theory this sounds good but then I see things like Big Ten teams constantly having to grind out games last season and we all saw how they ended up doing in the tournament.

I think it could work both ways TBH.

All I ever saw was sarcasm, there was no legit "we're going 40-0" comments that I ever saw and no, I'm not going to be an ass and tell you to pove it, I'm just saying I never saw anyone legit predict 40-0 last year.
I didn't say anything about anyone "legit". I believe you didn't see any of these comments. that does not make my statement false. thank you for not being an ass. it's enough just calling me a liar.

This is just false. Brooks was our most efficient scorer last season, averaging 25 points per 100 possessions (for reference, Mintz averaged 21 points per 100). Brooks achieved that while also posting the team’s second highest defensive efficiency and rebounding rate after Isaiah Jackson.
Brooks was indeed 1st in points per 100 possession but he wasn't efficient in general....Brooks was 6th in OffRating (103.3) behind Jackson, Sarr, Mintz, Toppin, and Allen.

Regards

I didn't say anything about anyone "legit". I believe you didn't see any of these comments. that does not make my statement false. thank you for not being an ass. it's enough just calling me a liar.
Didn’t say you were a liar, I basically said you misunderstood what you were reading.
In other words, you have a reading comprehension problem.
I assure you nobody predicted 40-0 last year and meant it.

Didn’t say you were a liar, I basically said you misunderstood what you were reading.
In other words, you have a reading comprehension problem.
I assure you nobody predicted 40-0 last year and meant it.
let me see if I comprehend this correctly. so you weren't calling me a liar. you call me a dumbass instead. first class all the way....you are!

let me see if I comprehend this correctly. so you weren't calling me a liar. you call me a dumbass instead. first class all the way....you are!
That’s a stretch, I don't think you’re a dumbass, I just think you don’t understand sarcasm. Nobody predicted 40-0 last year and meant it.

That’s a stretch, I don't think you’re a dumbass, I just think you don’t understand sarcasm. Nobody predicted 40-0 last year and meant it.
I make a statement about post I have read on here.
you say that statement is false.
then you claim I have a problem with reading comprehension.
I'll tell you what I can not comprehend, the fact that you can identify my reading comprehension skills, when you have not read the material I have read. but then....you don't want to be an ass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT