ADVERTISEMENT

Does UK have the best frontcourt in CBB now?

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
This writer thinks so.
The news that had the entire state buzzing was the NCAA's clearance of the Croatian seven-footer Zvonimir Ivisic. He made his Kentucky debut in this game, scoring 13 points to go with five rebounds, three blocks, two assists, and two steals. Ivisic looked solid rebounding the basketball, which was a question mark we had about the big man. Big Z is going to be a dominant force in college basketball. Another player who played well in this win was Tre Mitchell. He led Kentucky with 23 points while also grabbing five rebounds, dishing four assists, and blocking a shot. With Ivisic officially on the floor with Mitchell, Aaron Bradshaw, and Ugonna Onyenso, Kentucky has the best frontcourt in college basketball.

No we don’t. Edey alone is better. I’m sure there are a few other frontcourts too. We may be top 10, definitely top 20. Now if Bradshaw or Edwards turns it up, maybe worth a discussion.

Backcourts if we aren’t #1, I think we are top 2-3.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDude73
One thing I noticed against GA was Ugo. He wasn't falling for the pump fake. I think he jumped once, the rest of the time he stayed planted on the floor and focused.
I’ve let out so many groans this year at our guys biting on the fakes. Ugo has been a nice change of pace on the defense side of things.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
No we don’t. Edey alone is better. I’m sure there are a few other frontcourts too. We may be top 10, definitely top 20. Now if Bradshaw or Edwards turns it up, maybe worth a discussion.

If you had to trade all three of our bigs for three of any team, would you do it?

Reactions: TFCats11
We are in the discussion. I want to see more from Z first. I'm pretty sure he's amazing but let's see how he does on road this week.

It's a shame the ncaa robbed everyone half a season almost without Z. College basketball fans deserved better.

Bradshaw and Ugonna missing due to injury hurt as well. And now Thiero.

I pity the fools that take on UK if fully healthy. There will be blood.

This writer thinks so.
The news that had the entire state buzzing was the NCAA's clearance of the Croatian seven-footer Zvonimir Ivisic. He made his Kentucky debut in this game, scoring 13 points to go with five rebounds, three blocks, two assists, and two steals. Ivisic looked solid rebounding the basketball, which was a question mark we had about the big man. Big Z is going to be a dominant force in college basketball. Another player who played well in this win was Tre Mitchell. He led Kentucky with 23 points while also grabbing five rebounds, dishing four assists, and blocking a shot. With Ivisic officially on the floor with Mitchell, Aaron Bradshaw, and Ugonna Onyenso, Kentucky has the best frontcourt in college basketball.
Can you link the article?

Thanks

I'd put us top-5 for sure, if the contributions we saw from Big Z can be expected going forward- essentially if Big Z is truly the kind of difference-maker we saw on Saturday night.

Mitchell/Big Z/Bradsahw/Thiero/Ugo

Guaranteed that no other front court in America has that kind of QUALITY of depth. 5 dudes who can legit be difference-makers based on their skillsets and all compliment each other very well.

Top-end talent, obviously Purdue has the edge, and maybe a couple of other front courts, but I would put us Top-5 based on Big Z's performance.

I think Ugo and Z can guard Edey inside as well as he'll be able to guard Z and Bradshaw on the perimeter and get up and down the floor with them. I might be wrong; hope we get to find out.

I say we revisit this come March.

Edey has played 2760 minutes of college basketball

Bradshaw, Ivisic, Onyenso..... 446 combined.

Well, we already have the best backcourt. And if we do have the best frontcourt, Cal better not lose another game. I mean, c'mon, man!

I'm as excited about anyone for BigZ's potentially.. but, we do need to see it from him another game or two. Remember, Georgia not only had no tape on him, they weren't preparing for him to play. They had no idea he was going to bomb 3's.

IF…

And that’s a big IF…

If Big Z gives us that kind of play most every game this season, then we have a top 5 frontcourt to go with our top 5 backcourt.

Mitchell is one of the best stretch 4’s in the country.

Ivisic (again this is based on just 16 minutes of play), looks like a lottery pick.

Then there’s Bradshaw and Onyenso.

And we could add a 6’8, 225 lbs. defensive minded wrecking ball to the mix, if he ever gets back healthy.

I think that looks like an exceptional front line.

That’s pretty encouraging considering we were holding our own in November with a 6’9 Center.

I'm as excited about anyone for BigZ's potentially.. but, we do need to see it from him another game or two. Remember, Georgia not only had no tape on him, they weren't preparing for him to play. They had no idea he was going to bomb 3's.

The issue is if he's out there with reeves and shep and Dilly and Mitchell someone is gonna be open and make u pay. 5 three point threats together would be fun to see in small stretches.

I agree with you though. They have tape now but they still have to stop it.

The issue is if he's out there with reeves and shep and Dilly and Mitchell someone is gonna be open and make u pay. 5 three point threats together would be fun to see in small stretches.

I agree with you though. They have tape now but they still have to stop it.

I'm very confident BigZ is going to be fine. Even if we get 80% of what we go this last weekend, he's going to be valuable. But maybe, he's just getting started, this was only a glimpse of what he can do.

I just like to try and remain objective, cautious.

One thing I noticed against GA was Ugo. He wasn't falling for the pump fake. I think he jumped once, the rest of the time he stayed planted on the floor and focused.
Competition has a way of helping one recognize what's working well for others.

If you had to trade all three of our bigs for three of any team, would you do it?
I'd trade them for Edey and 2 waterboys. If Marquette or Creighton have solid backups, I may them too. And I like our guys. I've been higher than most on Onyenso since last spring, but our guys have yet to prove anything, be consistent.

All of a sudden the front court is horrible and ineffective and is getting schooled by any half decent team. Suck badly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT