ADVERTISEMENT

Mens college basketball plays 2 halfs

I would like to see college basketball adopt:
1). Four 10-minute quarters with one media timeout around the 5-minute mark of each quarter.
2). One 30-second team time-out per quarter, called by player or coach.
3). Widen the free throw lane from 12' wide to 16' wide to open up the court like the pros, but the refs have to be encouraged to call 3-second violations!!!!!🤣🤣🤣
4) Weird idea???, go to three fouls (all types) per half for each player??? If player gets 3rd foul they have to sit rest of that half.
🤔🤔🤔

- 4 quarters
- Give each coach 1 review/protest per half, get another if both overturned
- fix that rule that took away a basket and lost us possession
- leave fouls to 5 (NBA is 6 because games are 20% longer), make it 6 and they will just foul more
- no need to change jump balls, why reward taller team/player
- leave shot shot as is
- I don’t mind the change to 8sec to cross half court suggested above

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I’d prefer 4 quarters where the bonus begins at 5 fouls and is two shots every time.

Another rule change I would explore would be defensive 3 seconds. If you want to park a 7 footer under the goal for 40 minutes, he’s gonna have to run block to block.

Reactions: sjjones
It really doesn’t make much sense. High school plays 4 quarters and NBA plays 4 quarters. I wouldn’t mind college doing the same.

I’d prefer 4 quarters where the bonus begins at 5 fouls and is two shots every time.

Another rule change I would explore would be defensive 3 seconds. If you want to park a 7 footer under the goal for 40 minutes, he’s gonna have to run block to block.
All he has to do is park one foot out of the paint and lift his other foot every couple of seconds.

The game has too many time stoppages and long commercial breaks as it is. Going to quarters would provide an excuse to have even more.

So, no, I’m not a fan of that idea. Leave it the way it is.

Not really. You already have 4 TV timeouts each half. If you go to quarters, then you have 1 TV timeout per quarter and the quarter break, so you could have less stoppages per half, although I'm sure TV would make sure it was at least the same somehow, or least in # of minutes. The real benefit is that fouls reset after each quarter and you wouldn't have teams in the bonus and shooting FTs for long hauls. It's a no brainer to change it and there is a reason it is not done at any other level.

Reactions: sjjones
It's unique and tradition, I think they should leave it alone. Change isn't always good or the right thing to do, but the shot clock was a good change because of cheater McDicknose Smith.
And 5-second, closely guarded rule. (the first rule to address Smith's four-corners stall ball)

4 Quarters is where it needs to go and give coaches 4 time outs total for the game. A media time out at 5 minute mark of each quarter. It would be the best for college basketball. The 4 time outs should be 2 for the first half you can use how you need both in 1 quarter or what ever. You lose them at half and get 2 more for 2nd half. That is all.

Shot clock of 24 seconds like pros, and 16 seconds on rebound or kicked ball call.
3 second rule needs to be adhered to and actually be called. Defense 3 seconds like in pros as well.
5 second rule should also be called along with carries on dribbling.
Block charge has been better this year so they are on a right track there. Refs should be held accountable (not during the game but before their next called game). If they are graded too low or have any bias calls due to home court then they have to sit for x amount of games. That would help with bias refs. No way Kansas / Duke would get the home cooking any more. 3 strike rule on bias calls. 3 strikes and the refs move down a division for 1 year. Imagine, ref calls a very bad game, causes the results (that game is immediately null) and the ref is moved down to division 2, division 3, naia and so forth. Refs (that are grading the highest in naia can be moved up and others that grade bad moved down through all divisions. A guy loses pay, loses his reputation the nonsense stops.

• Haha
Reactions: gharding07
Shot clock of 24 seconds like pros, and 16 seconds on rebound or kicked ball call.
3 second rule needs to be adhered to and actually be called. Defense 3 seconds like in pros as well.
5 second rule should also be called along with carries on dribbling.
Block charge has been better this year so they are on a right track there. Refs should be held accountable (not during the game but before their next called game). If they are graded too low or have any bias calls due to home court then they have to sit for x amount of games. That would help with bias refs. No way Kansas / Duke would get the home cooking any more. 3 strike rule on bias calls. 3 strikes and the refs move down a division for 1 year. Imagine, ref calls a very bad game, causes the results (that game is immediately null) and the ref is moved down to division 2, division 3, naia and so forth. Refs (that are grading the highest in naia can be moved up and others that grade bad moved down through all divisions. A guy loses pay, loses his reputation the nonsense stops.
Also i think we go back to old aba call of over 7 fouls called you get 3 to make 2 free throws. Stops all the fouling by a team to players that have lesser free-throw percentage.

It's unique and tradition, I think they should leave it alone. Change isn't always good or the right thing to do, but the shot clock was a good change because of cheater McDicknose Smith.
Tdl6QiB.jpeg

I’m sure it will, to get more commercials in and make more money.
Yep. This is how they’ll do it even tho I’m in favor of 4Q to have fewer game stoppages for tv timeouts…just move them between quarters. But we all know they’ll keep the tv timeout commercials and just add more

The other solution is to go to picture-in-picture 10-15 sec commercials split screen and mute the announcers during the commercial w live play. Or banner ads during play like Soccer

I would like to see college basketball adopt:
1). Four 10-minute quarters with one media timeout around the 5-minute mark of each quarter.
2). One 30-second team time-out per quarter, called by player or coach.
3). Widen the free throw lane from 12' wide to 16' wide to open up the court like the pros, but the refs have to be encouraged to call 3-second violations!!!!!🤣🤣🤣
4) Weird idea???, go to three fouls (all types) per half for each player??? If player gets 3rd foul they have to sit rest of that half.
🤔🤔🤔
I wish college b-ball would adopt the international rule on goaltending - - once the ball hits the rim, there is no offensive or defensive goaltending.

I like the half’s better. It’s unique to college basketball. They’ll eventually change to four quarters but I hope it’s not anytime soon.

The game has too many time stoppages and long commercial breaks as it is. Going to quarters would provide an excuse to have even more.

So, no, I’m not a fan of that idea. Leave it the way it is.
Disagree. The reason college games can drag on so long is that it is possible for teams to be in the bonus with 12 minutes left in the half. At least with quarters, the fouls would reset

Let's see....is the NCAA going to listen to fans (especially UK's) on an internet site or the TV companies and their $$$$$$ ? I don't ever see the games having less breaks for TV commercials.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT