ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino says college basketball needs salary cap

Let's start with the Coaches, ADs, and every single stinking NCAA salaried employee.

If that works out, we'll work our way down thru the athletic depts, should take about 50 yrs, until eventually we will address the group that got shafted the last 100 yrs, the players.

Perfect solution!

Pitino is a dinosaur. Never gonna happen.

A salary cap would lead to more parity and that's bad for top programs in football and basketball.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Transfer portal should be limited to JRs unless there is a coaching change or hardship case

Money should be deferred, not capped

No one ever wants a salary cap for their own profession. Yet they quickly chime in when it’s perceived that others “make too much”.
Agree, the school isn't the one paying them so who cares, let the free market figure it out. I also don't understand the general 4 out of 5 years rule or amateur status rules. Are you a full time student making passing grades? Thats all that matters imo, so what if someone wants to get a masters and play college sports for 8 years who cares? might even help the game.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
Transfer portal should be limited to JRs unless there is a coaching change or hardship case

Money should be deferred, not capped
Deferred how? There's no court that would allow a 3rd party determine when a person can receive compensation for their name/image/likeness.

I'm order to impose salary limitations, the NCAA (member schools) would have to recognize athletes as employees. That's the only way this changes.

Make them employees, collectively bargain salary caps, make them sign contracts that would keep them at a school for X number of years.

Reactions: catburglar
Deferred how? There's no court that would allow a 3rd party determine when a person can receive compensation for their name/image/likeness.

I'm order to impose salary limitations, the NCAA (member schools) would have to recognize athletes as employees. That's the only way this changes.

Make them employees, collectively bargain salary caps, make them sign contracts that would keep them at a school for X number of years.
if they don't agree they aren't accepted into college.

Who's that?

Unless they imposed that restriction on everybody else in America, it won't stand up in court.
a kid is going to go to court and demand a college accept him as a scholarship player? yea..that won't get far

and if you are serious about who GM is, then maybe its time to go read up on too big to fail

a kid is going to go to court and demand a college accept him as a scholarship player? yea..that won't get far

and if you are serious about who GM is, then maybe its time to go read up on too big to fail

It certainly will.
Just ask Terrance Shannon Jr.

The Supreme Court has already told the NCAA they can't keep an athlete from profiting off their own self. They're a 3rd party to that and have no interest in it. No NIL restrictions will stand up in court.

If you're talking about General Motors, I have no idea what that has to do with anything... You'll have to connect the dots for me.

It certainly will.
Just ask Terrance Shannon Jr.

The Supreme Court has already told the NCAA they can't keep an athlete from profiting off their own self. They're a 3rd party to that and have no interest in it. No NIL restrictions will stand up in court.

If you're talking about General Motors, I have no idea what that has to do with anything... You'll have to connect the dots for me.
based on your comments so far I don't think connecting the dots is possible. ....moving on

How would a cap on NIL pass legal muster? The schools aren't paying it. The athletes are selling their own Names, Images, and Likenesses.

The NCAA once had a cap: 0. That failed.

Pitino is a clown. 🤡

He is the clown prince of the CHC though. He has that going for him.

That's capitalism, baby. You a commie?

Pro sports don't exist under a capitalist model. Why? Because it would destroy the product. It's why there's a draft for new talent. Why most leagues have a salary cap or luxury tax or revenue sharing to even the field. Without that, you'd have a few teams that dominate and a lot of others that would be trash and over time that is going to erode interest. I just got done reading a book about the formation of the NFL and this is exactly why Halas, Marshall, Rooney, etc. worked together to give more teams a chance because otherwise there would be no league.

Pro sports don't exist under a capitalist model. Why? Because it would destroy the product. It's why there's a draft for new talent. Why most leagues have a salary cap or luxury tax or revenue sharing to even the field. Without that, you'd have a few teams that dominate and a lot of others that would be trash and over time that is going to erode interest. I just got done reading a book about the formation of the NFL and this is exactly why Halas, Marshall, Rooney, etc. worked together to give more teams a chance because otherwise there would be no league.
You see that on other soccer league leagues like in Portugal, Spain, and Scotland where only a couple teams win the league. Idk what the point of being a fan of those other teams in those highest leagues when they have close to zero chance of winning the league.

Reactions: KYExtemper
You see that on other soccer league leagues like in Portugal, Spain, and Scotland where only a couple teams win the league. Idk what the point of being a fan of those other teams in those highest leagues when they have close to zero chance of winning the league.
One could even argue MLB has this issue as the product is quickly becoming the haves/have nots, but that has more to do with a good number of owners that just want to put something cheap out and pocket $$$.

NIL money doesn't come from the school. The NCAA doesn't have the power to limit it.

The rich will get richer until the structure/existence of college athletics changes.

Ok, but that's got nothing to do with NIL. Not one thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT