ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball Corruption Trial - FINAL WEEK

th

Reactions: Cindog28
Defense just won this trial and to a point that there might not be trials later on.

well its not officially over when the case is that gatto was defrauding universities......those emails show that Self knew adidas was helping him and KU.

Last edited:
Texts show Kansas coaches knew of Adidas role in Silvio De Sousa's recruitment
http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/ar...-knew-adidas-role-silvio-de-sousa-recruitment

Gassnola, a former AAU director from Springfield, Massachussets, testified last week that he paid $90,000 to former Kansas player Billy Preston's mother, and that he also agreed to pay $20,000 to De Sousa's guardian, Fenny Falmagne, to help him "get out from under" a pay-for-play scheme to send De Sousa to Maryland.

"I don't remember the words, but Fenny told me he was under this umbrella from the [Maryland] booster," Gassnola testified Monday.

On Aug. 9, 2017, Townsend texted Gassnola and wrote, "Coach Self just talked to Fenny let me know how it goes."

A few hours later, Gassnola texted Self: "Hall of Fame. When you have 5 minutes and your [sic] alone call me."

Later that night, after Self hadn't responded, Gassnola texted him again: "I talked with Fenny."

"We good," Self asked via text.

"Always," Gassnola replied. "That's [sic] was light work. Ball is in his court now."

Funny how everyone in the entire world knew that Self had knowledge of this except Self and the dumbass fans who can’t see past his balls draped across their face.

On Sept. 19, 2017 — three days before KU Athletics announced a 12-year contract extension with Adidas — Gassnola texted Self to tell him thank you for helping to get that extension done. Self replied via text that he was happy with Adidas and wrote “Just got to get a couple real guys.”

Gassnola responded with a text that said, “In my mind, it’s KU, Bill Self. Everyone else fall into line. Too (expletive) bad. That’s what’s right for Adidas basketball. And I know I’m right. The more you have lottery picks and you happy. That’s how it should work in my mind.” Self replied by text, “That’s how ur (sic) works. At UNC and Duke.” Gassnola answered by saying Kentucky as well. “I promise you I got this. I have never let you down. Except (Deandre). Lol. We will get it right.”

In this case, Gassnola could be referring to center Deandre Ayton. Gassnola testified Thursday that he felt he let Self down when Ayton chose Arizona instead of KU.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/c...of-kansas/article220042375.html#storylink=cpy

That's beautiful.

I mean, holy moly.

I'm not sure that could be any better. Not only is it explicitly incriminating, the pure Bill Self/KU jealousy and whining is an exquisite finishing touch.

Texts between Kansas coach Bill Self and ex-Adidas rep show how high-level college basketball recruiting works
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...gh-level-college-basketball-recruiting-works/

...To be clear, I'm not going to pretend to have proof that Nike has paid prospects to go to Nike schools (like North Carolina, Duke and Kentucky) or that Under Armour has paid prospects to go to Under Armour schools (like Maryland and Auburn). But what I will say is that coaches have forever believed they do just like Adidas has paid prospects to go to Adidas schools (like Kansas and Louisville)..
Self's texts are evidence of that.

I'm sure there are kids being paid by shoe companies to go to certain schools. The issue is whether the coaches are part of it.

I think anyone can take a look at the recruiting landscape, see certain kids with certain offers that end up certain places and realize that there are names missing from their offer list.

Kentucky didn't even recruit DeAndre Ayton and didn't end up with Mo Bamba or Marvin Bagley. If those guys were for sale (and they were) and Nike was buying (I think that's logical to assume), they sure weren't writing checks on our behalf.

I will not be surprised if Kansas gets by without anything being done to them by the NCAA. They sure have in the past. Hope I'm wrong.

Adam Zagoria‏Verified account@AdamZagoria

Interesting development from afternoon at trial: The gov’t showed documents that Adidas was basically laundering $80K through its own team, the Kharolina Khaos, and that the Khaos then paid some of that to Christian Dawkins in two checks of $25K each.

Texts show Kansas coaches knew of Adidas role in Silvio De Sousa's recruitment
http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/ar...-knew-adidas-role-silvio-de-sousa-recruitment

Gassnola, a former AAU director from Springfield, Massachussets, testified last week that he paid $90,000 to former Kansas player Billy Preston's mother, and that he also agreed to pay $20,000 to De Sousa's guardian, Fenny Falmagne, to help him "get out from under" a pay-for-play scheme to send De Sousa to Maryland.

"I don't remember the words, but Fenny told me he was under this umbrella from the [Maryland] booster," Gassnola testified Monday.

On Aug. 9, 2017, Townsend texted Gassnola and wrote, "Coach Self just talked to Fenny let me know how it goes."

A few hours later, Gassnola texted Self: "Hall of Fame. When you have 5 minutes and your [sic] alone call me."

Later that night, after Self hadn't responded, Gassnola texted him again: "I talked with Fenny."

"We good," Self asked via text.

"Always," Gassnola replied. "That's [sic] was light work. Ball is in his court now."

One has to wonder if somehow, some way the FBI snagged Self on a tapped call with these Adidas execs discussing payments. That would be an EPIC way to end this trial!

The FBI did not tap phone calls with self the defense wants to show Self and schools knew not the FBI

Reactions: TheDude73
I haven’t yet read the transcripts, but heard Gassnola threw some shade at Kentucky in one of the text exchanges.

I haven’t yet read the transcripts, but heard Gassnola threw some shade at Kentucky in one of the text exchanges.
Yep, he and Self were speculating in a text that this is how it's done at UNC, Duke, and Kentucky, of course without any shred of proof. Just making themselves feel better and less guilty for their cheating by posturing that "all the big guys do it".

This quote(?):

“I told Antonio, `You need to go to a place where you’re comfortable, with people I know, because I can’t call [North Carolina coach] Roy Williams, but I can call Cal,’ “ Gassnola says. Calipari and Kellogg did not respond to interview requests"

This quote(?):

“I told Antonio, `You need to go to a place where you’re comfortable, with people I know, because I can’t call [North Carolina coach] Roy Williams, but I can call Cal,’ “ Gassnola says. Calipari and Kellogg did not respond to interview requests"

That’s a nothingburger if I’ve ever seen one

Here is how it works, from Gary Parrish:

. . .

What that exchange features is Gassnola essentially promising Self that he'll help him land five-star prospects because Kansas is Adidas' biggest basketball program and what's good for Kansas is good for Adidas. Gassnola assures Self he will deliver because he's never previously let him down -- except for that time with Deandre Ayton, the five-star center who enrolled at Arizona, a Nike school, even though Gassnola paid one of Ayton's friends $15,000, according to testimony last week. And Self welcomes the help from Adidas because, he believes, North Carolina and Duke get similar help from Nike. So does Kentucky, Gassnola proclaims.

Simply put, this has been college basketball for a while.

Self was right.

That's how it works.

Now do I have proof that Nike has paid prospects to go to Nike schools, or that Under Armour has paid prospects to go to Under Armour schools? No. (The feds might, though.) But what I do know is that coaches have long believed both Nike and Under Armour assist Nike and Under Armour schools in recruiting exactly the same way it's been proven Adidas assisted Kansas, NC State and Louisville in recruiting.

And this is a point I've made for over a year now -- since the day Jim Gatto, Merl Code, Christian Dawkins and seven other men were charged with federal crimes via an ongoing investigation into corruption in college basketball -- the point that shoe-company assistance, regardless of what's right or wrong, was largely considered acceptable behavior in the sport before the government said it's not.

That's the truth.

It might sound crazy now, I know. But the perception of shoe-company involvement in recruiting was so prevalent in recent years that I rarely heard a coach complain publicly or even privately about losing a so-called Nike kid to a so-called Nike school, or a so-called Under Armour kid to a so-called Under Armour school, or a so-called Adidas kid to a so-called Adidas school, even when the coach believed a shoe company had compensated a family in violation of NCAA rules. It was, more or less, for many, just considered part of the sport.

Again, Self's texts underline that point.

Why did he want Gassnola working for Kansas? Because, he believed, somebody at Nike was working for Duke and North Carolina. And why was Gassnola so anxious to help Kansas? Because, he believed, somebody at Nike was also helping Kentucky.

That's four blue-blood programs with Hall of Fame coaches.

"That's how [it] works," Self texted Gassnola.

Yep.

That's. How. It. Works.

Here is how it works, from Gary Parrish:

. . .

What that exchange features is Gassnola essentially promising Self that he'll help him land five-star prospects because Kansas is Adidas' biggest basketball program and what's good for Kansas is good for Adidas. Gassnola assures Self he will deliver because he's never previously let him down -- except for that time with Deandre Ayton, the five-star center who enrolled at Arizona, a Nike school, even though Gassnola paid one of Ayton's friends $15,000, according to testimony last week. And Self welcomes the help from Adidas because, he believes, North Carolina and Duke get similar help from Nike. So does Kentucky, Gassnola proclaims.

Simply put, this has been college basketball for a while.

Self was right.

That's how it works.

Now do I have proof that Nike has paid prospects to go to Nike schools, or that Under Armour has paid prospects to go to Under Armour schools? No. (The feds might, though.) But what I do know is that coaches have long believed both Nike and Under Armour assist Nike and Under Armour schools in recruiting exactly the same way it's been proven Adidas assisted Kansas, NC State and Louisville in recruiting.

And this is a point I've made for over a year now -- since the day Jim Gatto, Merl Code, Christian Dawkins and seven other men were charged with federal crimes via an ongoing investigation into corruption in college basketball -- the point that shoe-company assistance, regardless of what's right or wrong, was largely considered acceptable behavior in the sport before the government said it's not.

That's the truth.

It might sound crazy now, I know. But the perception of shoe-company involvement in recruiting was so prevalent in recent years that I rarely heard a coach complain publicly or even privately about losing a so-called Nike kid to a so-called Nike school, or a so-called Under Armour kid to a so-called Under Armour school, or a so-called Adidas kid to a so-called Adidas school, even when the coach believed a shoe company had compensated a family in violation of NCAA rules. It was, more or less, for many, just considered part of the sport.

Again, Self's texts underline that point.

Why did he want Gassnola working for Kansas? Because, he believed, somebody at Nike was working for Duke and North Carolina. And why was Gassnola so anxious to help Kansas? Because, he believed, somebody at Nike was also helping Kentucky.

That's four blue-blood programs with Hall of Fame coaches.

"That's how [it] works," Self texted Gassnola.

Yep.

That's. How. It. Works.

Which is it? Self didn’t know or that it’s ok everyone does it?

So, it doesn't seem like Little will sit out this year:

Adam Zagoria‏Verified account@AdamZagoria 4h4 hours ago

Nassir Little and his family have denied taking any money and these texts would seem to back that up He’s now a freshman at UNC

Texts between Christian Dawkins and Brad Augustine re: Nassir Little from 8/6/17

CD: ‘Thats the issue with him going to an Adidas school because the family isn’t taking it.

BA: ‘So do I need to say the family’s taking it?’

CD: ‘I just worry about it getting back to them’

Found it.
I guess this was the reference.

Gassnola responded with a text that said, “In my mind, it’s KU, Bill Self. Everyone else fall into line. Too (expletive) bad. That’s what’s right for Adidas basketball. And I know I’m right. The more you have lottery picks and you happy. That’s how it should work in my mind.” Self replied by text, “That’s how ur (sic) works. At UNC and Duke.” Gassnola answered by saying Kentucky as well. “I promise you I got this. I have never let you down. Except (Deandre). Lol. We will get it right.”

There is no proof Nike does the same .. just adidas guys saying Nike does
One would have to assume that the FBI knows exactly who's doing it. If they know Adidas is, and brought these guys to federal trial, then it would have made sense that they also had dirt on Nike, if in fact they too were doing it.

Yet here we are - a trial in federal court that involves only Adidas. The only ones mentioning Nike at all are the idiots from Adidas that got caught.

Ha, Parish loves Bill Self. That article trying to spread blame is as predictable as it is pathetic. Those invites to hang at his house are paying off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT