ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky is # 1 job in college basketball

Apr 8, 2024
Hello BBN!

I have been reading this Board for couple decades and though I live in the neighboring Commonwealth, I am fan of the wildcats and fascinated by the number 15 Alex John Groza, as my handle indicates. After the recent events, I decided to start posting last night. I have done a little bit of coaching and refereeing and I am looking forward to discussing on here.

Despite what the trolls and fans of rivals in the media are saying , there is no doubt in my mind that Kentucky has the greatest basketball tradition and history. UK has the greatest basketball fan base. Every coach called will pick up the phone and listen if the call is made, including Dan Hurley.

The problem is not money. The problem is not high expectations of BBN. The problem is not the NIL or transfer portal situation. The main issue is what Mitch will chose: a safe hire to fill the gap before his retirement or a Coach to continue the greatest TRADITION in college basketball.

Coach Rupp started the tradition , set the standard that every other coach in college basketball was compared against, John Wooden, Smith, K, etc.

Rupp understood what basketball could bring to the Commonwealth and entire Appalachia. Coach Hall, Pitino, Tubby Smith, and yes John Calipari continued the tradition. Of course, nobody was able to win more than a title at UK besides Rupp. We hoped Coach Hall would do it, we really had a chance with Coach Pitino, and we were so close with Coach Cal in 2015…

Regardless how their tenure ended at UK, all these 4 Coaches continued the Tradition! For that we should always appreciate them, including yes Coach Cal.

Mitch’s next hire should excite and unify the BBN , including former players, and continue the TRADITION!
Let’s go Mitch makes us proud again!

Kentucky has been, is and will continue to be, the number one attraction and job in college basketball!

Regardless how their tenure ended at UK, all these 4 Coaches continued the Tradition! For that we should always appreciate them, including yes Coach Cal.

Mitch’s next hire should excite and unify the BBN , including former players, and continue the TRADITION!
Let’s go Mitch makes us proud again!

Kentucky has been, is and will continue to be, the number one attraction and job in college basketball!
Kentucky is the top job in college basketball, not because of our accomplishments but because the fans care the most.

Hell UCONN, it could be said, is actually the most successful program in modern times.

Reactions: TysonD44 and TM2013
For me number one choice is Billy Donavan : UK ties, bridge over years, experience in nba which the college coaching jobs is becoming more and more, plus ability to develop players and coach. Let’s remember besides the back to back titles, his last great team spanked Kentucky 3 times, 18-0 Sec and made it to final 4 to lose to Uconn that also beat Kentucky in the final.

The second tier would be Dan Hurley and Nate Oates.

Mitch could and probably should consult with Pat Riley on the next hire and develop a strategy to continue the TRADITION. After all Pat played for Rupp, knows the TRADITION and is the most accomplished wildcat Coach and Executive and a brilliant basketball mind even at 79 years old. I am sure Pat would not mind to help with advice and vision just like he did back in the day with Pitino and Calipari .

Hello BBN!

I have been reading this Board for couple decades and though I live in the neighboring Commonwealth, I am fan of the wildcats and fascinated by the number 15 Alex John Groza, as my handle indicates. After the recent events, I decided to start posting last night. I have done a little bit of coaching and refereeing and I am looking forward to discussing on here.

Despite what the trolls and fans of rivals in the media are saying , there is no doubt in my mind that Kentucky has the greatest basketball tradition and history. UK has the greatest basketball fan base. Every coach called will pick up the phone and listen if the call is made, including Dan Hurley.

The problem is not money. The problem is not high expectations of BBN. The problem is not the NIL or transfer portal situation. The main issue is what Mitch will chose: a safe hire to fill the gap before his retirement or a Coach to continue the greatest TRADITION in college basketball.

Coach Rupp started the tradition , set the standard that every other coach in college basketball was compared against, John Wooden, Smith, K, etc.

Rupp understood what basketball could bring to the Commonwealth and entire Appalachia. Coach Hall, Pitino, Tubby Smith, and yes John Calipari continued the tradition. Of course, nobody was able to win more than a title at UK besides Rupp. We hoped Coach Hall would do it, we really had a chance with Coach Pitino, and we were so close with Coach Cal in 2015…
Welcome to the board.....

Hurley, Oats, Drew or Pearl would all be really successful immediately imo. Donovan would probably dominate also.

Reactions: Girthang
Kentucky is the top job in college basketball, not because of our accomplishments but because the fans care the most.
I agree the fans keep the Tradition alive and are part of what makes this program so great!

Actually, I think it USED to be the #1 job. Calipari has done a ton of damage to our program and that is just one part that he's hurt.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you sleep better at night. But the reality of today's modern basketball world says otherwise. There's a reason UK is going to be told no by every top coach on the list. This isn't 1970s/80s where UK was the only program who cared about basketball, or paid coaches, and has facilites etc

Today...EVERYONE pays, has facilites, and invests to win, and has the players to do it

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you sleep better at night. But the reality of today's modern basketball world says otherwise. There's a reason UK is going to be told no by every top coach on the list. This isn't 1970s/80s where UK was the only program who cared about basketball, or paid coaches, and has facilites etc

Today...EVERYONE pays, has facilites, and invests to win, and has the players to do it
Not everyone has the love of BBN!

Reactions: Girthang
Not everyone has the love of BBN!
Oh yeah, that love scored a ton of baskets for UCONN the last 2 years, and Villanova, and Baylor etc. Sure fans are important, but can also be a problem. Its the reason none of the so called top coaches will come to UK, its not worth the headache. There was a time, to make a Final 4 you needed to be at a blue blood, those days are LONG gone. Just because you love your team, you're not entitled to anything

I can think of 10-12 million reasons guys would be interested in coaching at UK despite @ClickCat40 thinking we have nothing to offer. It's amazing to me that some people fall for every report that Coach X isn't interested or is staying put at his current job when you don't even know who has been contacted. There is a reason that the Rick Barnes joke is still a thing. Some use "potential interest" to get a pay raise, some use it to make themselves and their school look relevant with recruits and some just want to be seen because they have a huge ego.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Coach Hurley needs the space to clear his hangover from the title celebration. He is a smart guy, studied the history of basketball and he knows that UK is the biggest stage for college basketball.

Reactions: anonymous_2011
Hurley also knows that UConn runs a budget deficit and the future is going to be even worse even if let’s say UConn joins acc. Anyone that wants to be relevant knows that the money is going to be in Sec and Big10. FSU is desperate to leave the acc even contemplating by paying 300milllion in penalties.

This is a unique opportunity to be the coach at UK. Those who said or will say no, understand that the job is too big for them . No problem we will get the right Coach!

UK is not for everyone as Scott Drew proved. Too big for him. Don’t want someone whose hands shake in there.

However, with the front runner Drew gone I bet Mitch is getting flooded with applicants.

Reactions: AJG-15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT