ADVERTISEMENT

Coen interviewing with bears

I hope Coen doesn't leave but it must be attractive to know you may be a play caller for a future star Drake Maye or Caleb Williams if you go to the Bears.

This is getting ridiculous.

He's in, or he's out. He, among other reasons for our 7-6 year two years ago, was certainly a major part of our problem in Will Levis's second UK year. The offense was worse because he left. His replacement was not good, and it put Will into a bad situation. Once he left us to go back to the NFL after just one year, that should have been it. It certainly looks like it is confirmed that hiring him a second time was and is a big mistake. Frankly, we were nothing remarkable on offense this past season after he came back. Interviewing for the Bears OC position is very telling. As an AD, I would give him his walking papers and be very proactive about it to send a message to those who might want a job here as the OC. This too, by the way, is something we can lay right at Stoops's feet. Either you want to be here for these kids, or you don't. Get off the fence and do your job here, or get the hell out of Lexington--for good!

I am probably more inclined to give more credence to national football sources than KSR. The sources from Sports Illustrated and the Athletic told us exactly who dumped who. So be it, I was glad he stayed, but let's not make this into something it wasn't.
I'm not saying that they job wasn't offered. I'm saying it wasn't accepted before the plug got pulled. You may be right that the board of trustees, the boosters, whoever said don't hire him, but I've seen no evidence that he accepted the job. From what I understand, he probably would have, but his assistants didn't want to go. But he never accepted the job. Maybe we are playing semantics here. I'm sure some of you know what that means. But, there was never a "meeting of the minds" between A&M and Stoops.

I'm not saying that they job wasn't offered. I'm saying it wasn't accepted before the plug got pulled. You may be right that the board of trustees, the boosters, whoever said don't hire him, but I've seen no evidence that he accepted the job. From what I understand, he probably would have, but his assistants didn't want to go. But he never accepted the job. Maybe we are playing semantics here. I'm sure some of you know what that means. But, there was never a "meeting of the minds" between A&M and Stoops.
So you think Mitch scheduling interviews for HC position on Sunday was for what reason??

Obviously, some of you don't understand how hiring a coach that is under contract with another school actually works.

The first person notified if that coach is interested in another vacancy (handled by his agent), the AD is notified by the other school's AD that they want to interview the coach for their vacancy.
Mitch set up those interviews because someone notified him that CMS had been offered and he had accepted the TA&M job, and MB was in need of a HC and possibly an entire staff.

MB got ahead of that problem by making the two biggest pieces of that staff, Coen and White, two of the interviews, thus preventing them from being able to commit to following Stoops to A&M.

From that point forward, we will probably never know the whole truth about what transpired because both parties went into damage control mode.

Surely he’s smarter than that. That job, that team needs a total tear down. You don’t go out and promise new recruits and transfers then turn tail and leave a month later. I’m calling bullshit on this story.
Coen was here in 2021. Then he left. Now he is back again on a fantastic contract that should make anyone comfortable, but interviewing with the Bears if the report is accurate. Some will say Stoops can't get along with Coen, but that doesn't explain why Coen came back. The fact is that Stoops has done a better than average job of hanging onto his core of essential assistant coaches. When your own older brother is willing to work for you, that says a lot. So I see four possibilities. First, maybe the report about Chicago is inaccurate in some way or another. That happens sometimes because it's a clickbait world. Or maybe Coen is one of those guys who never quite gets settled and always has to stir things up. Such people definitely do exist, like Deion Sanders and Bobby Petrino. I didn't picture Coen that way, but it is getting harder to avoid that possibility. Or maybe Coen is just overwhelmingly obsessed with the NFL. Or maybe Coen dislikes recruiting and can't get past that. IDK. But I tend to take the report seriously, and it's a problem. UK's offense badly needs continuity, and there is no question in my mind that Brock Vandagriff is in Lexington because of Coen.

Coen must have a helluva agent. Why does everyone think he’s some offensive genius? We looked extremely pedestrian most of the year offensively. With some pretty nice talent. Must be the cool name.

Reactions: catben
Probably more of this reaching out in some shape or form happens far more than we know with assistant coaches. Most are on short 2-3 year contracts, some even one year deals. I just know that whatever is going to happen with Coen, go or stay, needs to happen soon.

Coen was here in 2021. Then he left. Now he is back again on a fantastic contract that should make anyone comfortable, but interviewing with the Bears if the report is accurate. Some will say Stoops can't get along with Coen, but that doesn't explain why Coen came back. The fact is that Stoops has done a better than average job of hanging onto his core of essential assistant coaches. When your own older brother is willing to work for you, that says a lot. So I see four possibilities. First, maybe the report about Chicago is inaccurate in some way or another. That happens sometimes because it's a clickbait world. Or maybe Coen is one of those guys who never quite gets settled and always has to stir things up. Such people definitely do exist, like Deion Sanders and Bobby Petrino. I didn't picture Coen that way, but it is getting harder to avoid that possibility. Or maybe Coen is just overwhelmingly obsessed with the NFL. Or maybe Coen dislikes recruiting and can't get past that. IDK. But I tend to take the report seriously, and it's a problem. UK's offense badly needs continuity, and there is no questio and cant blame him forcwanting to playn in my mind that Brock Vandagriff is in Lexington because of Coen.

The Part about BV being at UK is 100%. Was today Coen needed a starting QB and it was him. Family was tired of him sitting

Last edited:
Coen must have a helluva agent. Why does everyone think he’s some offensive genius? We looked extremely pedestrian most of the year offensively. With some pretty nice talent. Must be the cool name.
AFAIK, nobody ever said Coen is a "genius". The "pretty nice talent" you mentioned must be viewed in the context of the SEC talent on opposing defenses. You can never look at your roster in a vacuum. We looked pedestrian last fall because of our OL, which performed incrementally better than in 2022 but not like it did in 2018. Coen has worked a total of two seasons at UK, and his body of work tells me he has a lot of promise as a Power 5 coordinator. You are, of course, free to disagree. But Coen needs time before he should be judged. If he leaves now, we lose.

Probably more of this reaching out in some shape or form happens far more than we know with assistant coaches. Most are on short 2-3 year contracts, some even one year deals. I just know that whatever is going to happen with Coen, go or stay, needs to happen soon.
Timing of this is not good. Summer would be even worse. But as it is, spring practice is coming up and UK keeps replacing OCs every year. Not good. Hope he stays.

Reactions: Seakat311
One thing that concerns me is that if he leaves, we will have to go into 2024 with a new OC for the fifth year in a row (Gran, Coen, Scan, Coen again, and an OC to be named later). That can hardly be a positive thing.

One thing that concerns me is that if he leaves, we will have to go into 2024 with a new OC for the fifth year in a row (Gran, Coen, Scan, Coen again, and an OC to be named later). That can hardly be a positive thing.
Time to bring back Gran :)

So now the KSR guys are saying that Ryan Day at OSU is looking at him to replace Brian Hartline!!!!

WOW!!!

Is Coen the next Lane Kiffin????

So now the KSR guys are saying that Ryan Day at OSU is looking at him to replace Brian Hartline!!!!

WOW!!!

Just posted the tweet…I see nothing about Hartline no longer being at OSU.

• Sad
If we do have to go after someone, which I really hope we don’t, are there any names out there that would be homerun type hires?

Considering that Day's position at OSU isn't exactly solid I wouldn't think Coen would want to take that risk, but if the money is right I guess maybe.

The only other reason I could think of is access to a higher level of player. His system is kinda like Cal's in that it requires a talented roster to really work. UK rarely has the total package required to run such a system.

Maybe blue tinted glasses but I’m optimistic about offensive personnel. OL looks better and solid everywhere else. Gran and Schlarman could take this group and produce a top tier SEC run game. Pass game has really good potential.

Seems like a weird time to leave

WOW!!!

Heartline was given the OC title this past year, but it was mostly just title alone and an excuse to give him a nice pay bump. Day never turned the offense over to Heartline this past year. However, Day is now feeling more pressure to do so and is looking for an experienced OC to come in, which I suppose would give him more comfort turning the offense over to. My guess is Heartline would be co-OC and would work closely with whoever Day brings in, potentially grooming Heartline to take over the offense sometime down the road.

As many have stated before that Stoops is more involved with the offensive play calls than he leads fans to believe. Sounds like that’s the sticking point between he and Coen. Which would kinda make sense given the stall ball Stoops seems to want to do towards the end of the first half and later in the second when UK has a lead.

Did you see the Bears offense this year??

Eddie Gran would be a big improvement.

The Ohio situation is too funny. Day is demoting Hartline and looking at new OC's who will.....run the ball. He now wants to copy Michigan's formula, hence the overpaying fir Judkins.

Freaking hilarious, Ohio want to hire UK's OC for more rushing and less passing. Meanwhile every casual UK football fan has wanted the opposite for 10 yrs.

Hartline would stay at Ohio if he were demoted to mopping the locker room & scrubbing the toilets. No thank you to this low-confidence no-aspirations guy on my UK staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT