ADVERTISEMENT

Coen interviewing with bears

A lot of good points in this thread. Look at it this way gents. Coen of course will speak with them and learn a little bit more about his field. The more knowledgeable he is, the more of a weapon he becomes in recruiting. We would rather have a guy that is attractive to NFL teams than not. Wanna live in Chicago or Lexington? Chicago is a fine city for some, not for most. For a family man? You guys know the answer to that.

It wouldn’t be surprising if he took the job. This is the reality of the sport we watch. College coaches dress for the job they want, not the job they have. It’s always been this way. It’s like that now for college players too. If he has one deep playoff run as a coordinator in the NFL he gets an NFL head coaching job. Or a big college coaching job. Look at Bill O’Brien. He parlays the Patriots job to become Penn State coach. He has moderate success and gets a NFL head coaching job. After that he was offensive coordinator at Alabama which is one of the best coordinator jobs in the country. Look at how he did as the Patriots offensive coordinator this year. The fairy tale is over for him. But it was fun for him while it lasted. I wouldn’t even blame him for leaving.

Until he comes out and says he is doing the interview, I will refrain from attacking him. This could all be smoke. The Bears suck. Absolutely suck. I can’t see him going there or even interviewing for the job. It could be a death knell for his coaching career. Some NFL teams just never can get it right. The Bears over the last 25 years have seldom made the right moves.

People get upset if they get passed on the road. Why would they not overreact to Chicago saying they want to interview their coach?

The fact is that negative people were always going to react negatively to ANY news that is neutral to good. You can expect it every damned time. If it's GREAT news, they will either find something negative to say about it or not respond at all.

When a buddy of mine publicly predicted we'd get 9 or 10 wins in 2018, everyone responded negatively. Complete derision. When they won their 9th game, all they wanted to talk about were the games they lost (the ones that got away), how we didnt even win the East, and how it wasn't sustainable. When he reminded them about their friendly wager, he got the same response I did. They told him to "Fk Off"

THAT, people, is the nature of the negative UK Wildcat fan. It doesn't accept prosperity. Their negativity doesn't ever accept defeat. It's like a volcano. At best it can go dormant for a time.

Reading it strictly, it's just a story from the bears side. "Plans to interview" is different than coen agreeing to interview.

That said, He just cannot take that interview if he has any sense of loyalty whatsoever. If he does, we might as well just start the search ASAP. Taking that interview is a clear signal he has zero intention of being here and it will kill recruiting and/or just set us up for portal hell. He's great but not worth this....if he takes that interview
The coach he works for was leaving just 6 weeks ago until a revolt stopped it

Stoops has been here for quite a while. Not one freaking year again. HUGE difference.
Assistants are resume builders. One year is short but 2 years isn’t abnormal. He might be wondering what his ceiling is calling plays for stoops and at some point he might get like stoops and ‘be stuck’

I can’t blame him. He obviously wants to be in the NFL. But to lose him this late AGAIN would be devastating. But this is what comes with a defensive head coach. We are wholly dependent on our OC
Maybe he’s finding that Stoops isn’t going to give him the freedom he thought he would get?

Do we have any faith in Stoops to make a good OC hire if Coen bolts?

You mean the same guy that hired coen before anyone heard of him? Then hired him again?

Some of you all are amazing lol.

Also if people don't understand the issue with coen flirting with leaving again already; then you're in the can't criticize coen crowd.

Coen needs to put this to rest ASAP. These portal guys came because of him. He can't leave us and them high and dry.

You mean the same guy that hired coen before anyone heard of him? Then hired him again?

Some of you all are amazing lol.

Also if people don't understand the issue with coen flirting with leaving again already; then you're in the can't criticize coen crowd.

Coen needs to put this to rest ASAP. These portal guys came because of him. He can't leave us and them high and dry.
You mean the same guy that hired Scang. Some of you are amazing. Loser.

I like Liam, but honestly I’m not 100% sold on him. His profile seems to exceed his production thus far. He wasn’t even a main assistant in 2020, had a great 2021 with a killer QB, disappointing 2022 at Rams, and last year was ok but also disappointing. Our offense was so inconsistent and Leery was not great. Operations weren’t good. The pace was so slow even Stoops hated it (and said as much numerous times throughout the season).

I hope he stays, but for all you folks saying Stoops is overpaid, our 1.8 million coordinator doesn’t look great compared to folks like Sherrone Moore.

I always find it funny when people criticize others for switching jobs. People typically switch jobs because they think it is best for them, their career, and/or their family. Who are we to tell that person otherwise?

As others have said, I’d rather have coordinators other teams (college or pro) are interested in than not. IF he does leave, let’s hope the nexts OC is a home run and can keep the offensive recruits/transfers in place.

If he breaks his contract and leaves after a year IMO no P5 college team is ever going to want to touch him after that. Even if he got to the point where he might look attractive as a head coach, who would want to roll the dice on him, knowing if he had an NFL head job offered he would bolt for it?

I think he is probably smart enough to understand that, so in essence if this story pans out he's making a career decision.

Reactions: delk4three
Coen is free to do what he wants since stoops basically took another job. I mean why stay on quick sand? It’s a different deal if stoops hadn’t left or tried to leave
He’s free to do what he wants because this is a business and it’s America. These coaches owe us nothing. We all want them to stay, but we have to understand that none of them do it for big blue.

A man is only as loyal as his options.

WHY would the Bears even want him??????

He has 1 year as an NFL OC and it wasn't even that successful because his HC actually called the plays.

Also, why would all of these Offensive players from other schools come here if there was ANY WAY Coen was even thinking about going back to the NFL????

This has to be just something to raise Coen's profile.
Then why dosen't Coen come out and say so?

Reactions: catben
This is bullshit. If the dude leaves after one year you have to blame Stoops for even hiring him. Surely this scenario was talked about when hiring Coen. And if so, surely Stoops didn’t agree to let Coen come back just for one year? Surely he got assurances to the contrary?
Only a gentleman's agreement I think that Coen would stay at least 2 years.

Reactions: Seakat311
Stop…the debate on if he took the job or not is silly. He clearly interviewed which showed all you need to know of his intentions

Yeah if he wasn't interested he wouldn't have been looking. Whether they low balled him on offer or it was assistants not wanting to go or a and m changed their mind is irrelevant. He doesn't 100% want to be here and those situations rarely work long term if you flirt with leaving your current employer and then stay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT