ADVERTISEMENT

Coen interviewing with bears

It is exactly the offense CMS wants to run. If you listen to him talk about his idea of a pro style offense, it is the age old philosophy of the QB under center, establish the run first, and then take your "shots" (his words) at long passing plays after the safeties are pulled into the box to stop the run.

CMS strokes out at passing over the middle to a TE or running crossing patterns with wrs.

The pass either has to be a wr screen to the sideline or a deep shot that if it gets intercepted, a deep shot is as good as a 30-40 yard punt.

CMS will not take a risky pass in the middle of the field. Old school coaching philosophy.
1. Yes ....Stoops wants balance to run and pass. And I can concede Stoops prefers the run to the pass.
2. Coen himself states in his 2021 and 2023 seasons....we need to establish the run game.
3. THe systems Coen comes from, Rams/McVay....establishing the run is part of the ideology. That is why the outside zone scheme is there to run out of it and disguise the play action passing concept.

UK threw the ball in 2023 as a percentage of plays more than in any season under Mark Stoops. I don't get "CMS strokes out at passing the over the middle to a TE".....Sounds like you're just making stuff up to form an argument. So many fans argue we threw drives away by passing too many low percentage plays and would have been better to give Ray Davis some runs or shorter throws instead. I still think Learly didn't throw over the middle as much vs. passes outside the numbers.....as he was too short and couldnt' see the field...hence tipped balls all day long.

In the end, Stoops created this mess with his Texas AM flirtation and Coen isn't helping matters with his own bullcrap. Ultimately it looks like UK football will fall even further back.......I truly see the beginning of the end for Stoops if Coen bails.

1. Yes ....Stoops wants balance to run and pass. And I can concede Stoops prefers the run to the pass.
2. Coen himself states in his 2021 and 2023 seasons....we need to establish the run game.
3. THe systems Coen comes from, Rams/McVay....establishing the run is part of the ideology. That is why the outside zone scheme is there to run out of it and disguise the play action passing concept.

UK threw the ball in 2023 as a percentage of plays more than in any season under Mark Stoops. I don't get "CMS strokes out at passing the over the middle to a TE".....Sounds like you're just making stuff up to form an argument. So many fans argue we threw drives away by passing too many low percentage plays and would have been better to give Ray Davis some runs or shorter throws instead. I still think Learly didn't throw over the middle as much vs. passes outside the numbers.....as he was too short and couldnt' see the field...hence tipped balls all day long.

In the end, Stoops created this mess with his Texas AM flirtation and Coen isn't helping matters with his own bullcrap. Ultimately it looks like UK football will fall even further back.......I truly see the beginning of the end for Stoops if Coen bails.
You may be right on beginning of the end but I also wonder if he wouldn’t do better with an older coordinator. He got along well with Eddie. Georgia tech seems to have a good one. Hope he is warming relationships, wherever they are, in case it’s needed

Stoops complained about the pace of play multiple times this year. In one game, you could see him yelling to keep players on field and not sub so they could go faster. Not sure if this holds water

Stoops wants to run the ball effectively. What coach doesn’t? He doesn’t want UT pace but neither did Michigan.

You guys overreact to his involvement in the offense. He’s the head coach. He’s going to be involved in every aspect of the game.

Yes. It's just another way to rationale the coen worship. When you see us running the ball at will, then suddenly start chucking it deep to brown on go routes that we never complete, you can bank that is not stoops meddling in the offense.

Coen is great but truth be told he absolutely needed to run the ball more last year. We had one of the best backs in the nation but iirc ran the ball less than anyone in the country. That's crazy. Refusal to run the ball absolutely cost us the game vs Mizzou, Carolina, and Clemson.

Yes. It's just another way to rationale the coen worship. When you see us running the ball at will, then suddenly start chucking it deep to brown on go routes that we never complete, you can bank that is not stoops meddling in the offense.

Coen is great but truth be told he absolutely needed to run the ball more last year. We had one of the best backs in the nation but iirc ran the ball less than anyone in the country. That's crazy. Refusal to run the ball absolutely cost us the game vs Mizzou, Carolina, and Clemson.
I won't argue, but everyone also kept expecting Leary to have this breakout game that never really happened.

I have heard CMS make the statement early in his career here at UK, that only 1 good thing can happen when you pass the ball in the middle of the field and then go on to tell how many bad things can happen if that pass fails.

Passes over the middle are high risk passes. CMS is a low risk/no risk coach. Thus, he avoids those plays as much as possible in my opinion. He loves taking "shots" wayyyyy down the field.

Reactions: UKat1
I won't argue, but everyone also kept expecting Leary to have this breakout game that never really happened.

Leary had some nice games. Way better than fans have him credit for. Clemson included.

I don't even have a huge complaint about throwing it as much as we did. It's more about how we threw it. Constant go routes to brown were just insane because he never showed the skills justifying those attempts.

He is awesome on overs or crossers because no one can cover his speed. We should've run those all season instead of wasting his targets on deep go. We ran those overs with wandale and killed people. Then countered with the post off the same action. It was lethal and brown is even more suited to those routes.

Something was just different about coen this last season. Not sure what it was. He was still very good but had plenty head scratching moments that he just didn't have the first year.

If you paid attention to 2023, they couldn't throw crossers because Leary's low launch point would be batted down. Wasn't a problem with Levis, taller and longer armed and a higher launch point.

It looked good on paper, but in reality Leary was a poor fit for Coen's scheme. His inexperience under center, and spitting out complex play calls slowed the O down.

Reactions: Nuke99m
"Something was just different about coen this last season. Not sure what it was. He was still very good but had plenty head scratching moments that he just didn't have the first year."

Health issues that put him up in the booth come to mind? Disconnected?

Stoops complained about the pace of play multiple times this year. In one game, you could see him yelling to keep players on field and not sub so they could go faster. Not sure if this holds water

Stoops wants to run the ball effectively. What coach doesn’t? He doesn’t want UT pace but neither did Michigan.

You guys overreact to his involvement in the offense. He’s the head coach. He’s going to be involved in every aspect of the game.
And Cal always said he wanted to play faster and would yell ‘go’ all game long. Then we had a preseason article from the athletic come out with staff talking about his preferences and sets and choking the playmaking out of players with lots of movement with no purpose etc. But he never changed until he did. And we can all see it. We’ve been through the same thing with Cal. I’m not sure how we can deny what stoops is prone to like. He’s been here 12 seasons.

And Cal always said he wanted to play faster and would yell ‘go’ all game long. Then we had a preseason article from the athletic come out with staff talking about his preferences and sets and choking the playmaking out of players with lots of movement with no purpose etc. But he never changed until he did. And we can all see it. We’ve been through the same thing with Cal. I’m not sure how we can deny what stoops is prone to like. He’s been here 12 seasons.
I never said he wanted to play fast. Just that he doesn’t want 55 plays and to stand near the official all game waiting to call timeout before a delay of game penalty

I never said he wanted to play fast. Just that he doesn’t want 55 plays and to stand near the official all game waiting to call timeout before a delay of game penalty
Yeah I’m not arguing with you per se just kind of jumping on the point that these coaches say a lot of things in their narrative building that just isn’t true to anyone outside their brains or they actually think they are aggressive etc because their mindset is just that way when they really arent

Reactions: CapitolHillCat
I have heard CMS make the statement early in his career here at UK, that only 1 good thing can happen when you pass the ball in the middle of the field and then go on to tell how many bad things can happen if that pass fails.

Passes over the middle are high risk passes. CMS is a low risk/no risk coach. Thus, he avoids those plays as much as possible in my opinion. He loves taking "shots" wayyyyy down the field.
So you ignore the stats from last year offense in run/pass ratio and you live by a quit stoops made 9 or some years ago?

If your mind is made up on stoops so be it….im probably not much fonder on stoops at this point…but the Coen butt love by many is beyond the pale

That offense in 2023 was not a run, run, throw a Wr screen stoop’s special. It just factually isn’t accurate what your stating

So you ignore the stats from last year offense in run/pass ratio and you live by a quit stoops made 9 or some years ago?

If your mind is made up on stoops so be it….im probably not much fonder on stoops at this point…but the Coen butt love by many is beyond the pale

That offense in 2023 was not a run, run, throw a Wr screen stoop’s special. It just factually isn’t accurate what your stating
That's not anything close to what I was saying.

Have a nice day.

When you snap the ball as slow as Stoops wants to, then touches by both the WR and RB are going to be an issue .

Reactions: cathouse

I used sec stat cats database since he databases every throw in the SEC to see about this.

For 2023: Left 129 passes, Center 52, and Right 124 passes. I didn’t count passes behind line of scrimmage for any but the proportions looks similar.

I just did pass type and it broke it down between left, center, and right.

I didn’t go through past years, or compare to the rest of the conference. Dunno how this compare.

I suspect passes to the middle of the field would be lower overall because you can’t make passes 20+ yards in the center given how defenses are designed. I also suspect passes to the Center would be lower for teams with slots and TEs who can’t get open. BUT 2.5 times higher to Right or Left seems higher than those factors imo

Reactions: catben and cathouse
Don't know if they are factually based, but there isn't anyone in the Bears coverage media who thinks Coen gets this job. Might not even be in top 3 choice by the org.

In the end this might be a whole lot of nothing. Standard operating procedures to keep name fresh & shake down employer for a raise/new contract, never had intentions to leave.

When you snap the ball as slow as Stoops wants to, then touches by both the WR and RB are going to be an issue .

That isn't stoops. It's all the long play calls, shifts, motions, then snaps. Later on his first year, he said he figured out all that was too much so he cut it out; and we took off. I assumed he would just pick up that adjustment immediately but he never did. Weird.

Thought it very interesting Saban said Michigan just lining up and going was a big issue for them. We do so much before the snap it's counterproductive. Line up, motion, go.

If Coen rolls, who calls the plays for WKU ?? Is it head coach or OC ?? They’ve been pretty good on offense lately … they throw up numbers !!! Mike Leach protege, fwiw ...

Last edited:
Coen probably fed up with players making more$$$ than he does. Hell,
who knows, maybe the cheerleaders make more than he does.

Stat from the writers this morning Chocago way...Coen emerging as serious candidate/ Rams offense in his year was 27th, without him is 8th. Of course, injuries play in that. Still......?

Saban went through 27 assistants in 17 years, Lets just call it the coaching portal. I was hoping Coen was looking for some continuity for his family. He could stay here and really help build something AND raise his kids in a great town.

Hitching your career to a #1 drafted qb worked out great for all the coaches who went to work for the Panthers last yr
True but Williams is a way better prospect than Young ever was. Williams could be Mahomes like. Young cant even throw a pass over his offensive line half the time lol.

I wish you ran every NFL team.

You might be the only North American left not convinced Coen knows offense, and some of the other North Americans wield mighty NFL checkbooks.
Coen may be great for all I know, but I don't think Stoops wants anything but a run dominated 20 ppg offense. Which is it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT