ADVERTISEMENT

Coen interviewing with bears

Reading it strictly, it's just a story from the bears side. "Plans to interview" is different than coen agreeing to interview.

That said, He just cannot take that interview if he has any sense of loyalty whatsoever. If he does, we might as well just start the search ASAP. Taking that interview is a clear signal he has zero intention of being here and it will kill recruiting and/or just set us up for portal hell. He's great but not worth this....if he takes that interview

This is why I didn't want him to come back. I had a feeling he would jump ship back to the NFL the first chance he got. We better have a replacement that will keep everyone in place if he does leave or next year will be even rougher than expected. I can't imagine our new QB will be happy with this news if it happens and our wide receivers might look at other options as well.

I can’t blame him. He obviously wants to be in the NFL. But to lose him this late AGAIN would be devastating. But this is what comes with a defensive head coach. We are wholly dependent on our OC

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Reading it strictly, it's just a story from the bears side. "Plans to interview" is different than coen agreeing to interview.

That said, He just cannot take that interview if he has any sense of loyalty whatsoever. If he does, we might as well just start the search ASAP. Taking that interview is a clear signal he has zero intention of being here and it will kill recruiting and/or just set us up for portal hell. He's great but not worth this....if he takes that interview
Do you feel that way about Stoops for interviewing (and actually accepting) the TA&M job??

I think we are just seeing some of the fallout from that fiasco with this coaching staff.

What would you do if the guy who hired you tried to run out on his commitment to the team and to you also???

If Coen leaves, it is strictly a business decision to get out on his terms.

Or, does loyalty just apply to assistant coaches?

He is only 38, but has a history of job-hopping, for lack of a better term. He’s been very mobile … he may be going mobile, again !!

Last edited:
WHY would the Bears even want him??????

He has 1 year as an NFL OC and it wasn't even that successful because his HC actually called the plays.

Also, why would all of these Offensive players from other schools come here if there was ANY WAY Coen was even thinking about going back to the NFL????

This has to be just something to raise Coen's profile.

Anyone that criticizes a coach for looking at opportunities has obviously not been offered opportunities. Loyalty applies to family and friends. Employers can fire you at the drop of the hat if they don't like your performance. You owe it to yourself and family to always at least consider opportunities that could result in future financial security.

This is bullshit. If the dude leaves after one year you have to blame Stoops for even hiring him. Surely this scenario was talked about when hiring Coen. And if so, surely Stoops didn’t agree to let Coen come back just for one year? Surely he got assurances to the contrary?

Last edited:
This isn't good news. If he wants to stay here then he needs to shoot this down with the quickness. Of course this is just the Bears saying they "plan to". This story, and how it plays out, will go a long way in showing us what kind of man Liam is.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
Anyone that criticizes a coach for looking at opportunities has obviously not been offered opportunities. Loyalty applies to family and friends. Employers can fire you at the drop of the hat if they don't like your performance. You owe it to yourself and family to always at least consider opportunities that could result in future financial security.

In real life you can't change jobs every 1 to 2 years and continue to get opportunities. At some point recruiters and hiring managers view it as a red flag. Idk that same principles apply to coaching though and lucky for Coen there.

Would be a major blow that would cost UK a ton of players. Would also be a scumbag move by Coen to do it again after just one season.
It won't cost us jack until 2025. Players don't get to leave after the portal closes because of a coordinator leaving.

Definitely seeming like he is always in search of that next gig, trying to climb the ladder with the goal to be head coach somewhere as soon as possible.

Coen is free to do what he wants since stoops basically took another job. I mean why stay on quick sand? It’s a different deal if stoops hadn’t left or tried to leave

Do you feel that way about Stoops for interviewing (and actually accepting) the TA&M job??

I think we are just seeing some of the fallout from that fiasco with this coaching staff.

What would you do if the guy who hired you tried to run out on his commitment to the team and to you also???

Stoops is the longest tenured coach in the sec. Coen first promised us two years and gave us one. Now after talking long term, he might interview with two different teams.

Those aren't remotely the same.

Well, he did say one of the reasons he decided to come back was because his wife was in love with Lexington. Probably coach-speak but who knows, maybe he’s just trying to leverage a raise and can’t blame him for that. Problem is that if he leaves you probably lose the future of the program in Boley and Saunders plus anyone who came or would come along because of them. I’m probably one of the few but I think he’s a mediocre OC and those guys I mentioned losing would be my only concern. We’d probably also lose Brown because no one else is going to promise that he’ll receive nearly as many targets, especially that go route we couldn’t connect on the 257 times we tried that kept destroying momentum.

Last edited:

There is no evidence Stoops accepted the TAM job....none.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT