ADVERTISEMENT

Coen interviewing with bears

There is no evidence Stoops accepted the TAM job....none.
So, did Mitch Barnhart schedule interviews for the HC position on Sunday with Liam Coen, Brad White, and Jon Sumrall because CMS had told him he WASN'T taking the A&M job?

Or, do you think MB was just practicing for when Stoops does leave Lexington???

If you believe none of that fiasco happened........good for you.

Only a gentleman's agreement I think that Coen would stay at least 2 years.
A man’s word means something, or at least it use to. But what I’m actually questioning is was Coen pressed to give Stooos his word on his length of stay? Was the subject even brought up? Because it should have been, and if it wasn’t, that’s on Stoops. And if the opposite occurred, Stoops and Coen reached a gentleman’s agreement, then it’s on Coen.

But it’s still on Stoops, imo, because he should have known better. It’s a, “Is the juice worth the squeeze…” type situation. And having Coen come back, implement his offense, and engage in recruiting, only to leave after one year, isn’t/wasn’t worth that squeeze.

So losing a great offensive minded coach and possibly getting another lame one means we don't have depth? Totally makes sense if you have an uncledad.
If your HC cannot replace one quality coach or players with others, yes, little depth/sustainability of the program. Not at all hard. Top coaches replace quality lost with new quality.

I have no idea what the obsession is with Coen. He finished 98th in total offense this season with UK, and if you average is only other season UK is near 80th in total offense with him as OC.

UK had the slowest pace of play in the country this year.

He obviously doesn’t want to be here…..and truth be told we act like he is irreplaceable

When it comes to OCS it most certainly does at UK because Stoops dosen't give a squat about that side of the ball except for manipulating the clock and TOP. Give him 20 pts and he thinks he can beat anybody.
If Coen leaves, and if Stoops is any good, he'll hire another quality OC. If he can't, shows Stoops isn't topnotch.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
If your HC cannot replace one quality coach or players with others, yes, little depth/sustainability of the program. Not at all hard. Top coaches replace quality lost with new quality.
I guess I keep forgetting that we are TOP quality.

I have no idea what the obsession is with Coen. He finished 98th in total offense this season with UK, and if you average is only other season UK is near 80th in total offense with him as OC.

He obviously doesn’t want to be here…..and truth be told we act like he is irreplaceable
No one is irreplaceable. The fact you hired someone you have to replace only after one year is the issue here. At least it is for me. Vandergriff, Boley, and Saunders didn’t commit to Coen’s replacement. A case can be made, on either side, whether Coen is actually a quality OC, but these facts are undebatable. This program will take a step back, at least from this perceptive, going forward.

I'm gonna go with this narrative...

He's been encouraged (by Stoops) to just go along with the process, so that when he's serious about leaving in 3-4 years, he'll be ready to interview.

am sure he's just one of 10 folks that are being interviewed!

Reactions: BigTyrone
lol at the narrative he came back from the Rams because he missed Lexington and wanted to mentor young people. Bears aren’t as bad as people are saying especially with the #1 pick.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Stoops has caused this IMO. This is all fallout from him trying to jump ship to a&m. I’d say them not agreeing to go with him has strained relationships and who knows what the working conditions are like now.

My personal opinion, which l admit means nothing. But give me some proof where I'm so wrong please if you're so smitten with him.
Oh I’m smitten with him? Lol.

You want some proof? Take a peek at the kids we are getting in the portal on the offensive side of the ball you ding dong. If you can’t see that coen has value then you don’t know football. Every Kentucky fan wants him to stay except you. But as you said, your opinion mean nothing. Luckily

Stoops has caused this IMO. This is all fallout from him trying to jump ship to a&m. I’d say them not agreeing to go with him has strained relationships and who knows what the working conditions are like now.
Dude it’s a business. Coen sees an opportunity. That’s all it is. He came back for stoops a second time so I’d say the relationship is fine

Reactions: Seakat311
So, did Mitch Barnhart schedule interviews for the HC position on Sunday with Liam Coen, Brad White, and Jon Sumrall because CMS had told him he WASN'T taking the A&M job?

Or, do you think MB was just practicing for when Stoops does leave Lexington???

If you believe none of that fiasco happened........good for you.
Where did that info come from? I'll believe what the evidence shows. I dont do conspiracy theories or innuendo supported by more innuendo.

Where did that info come from? I'll believe what the evidence shows. I dont do conspiracy theories or innuendo supported by more innuendo.
It came from Matt Jones who gets all of his information directly from Vince Marrow.

And Jones claims he was at Jeff Ruby's with the assistant coaches when it all went down.

The report that Stoops accepted the job came from TA&M sports information dept that acknowledged the president made the offer and CMS accepted that offer, only to be nixed by the board because of fan uprising on social media.

Believe what you want. The truth is out there.....and the fallout will continue.

Oh I’m smitten with him? Lol.

You want some proof? Take a peek at the kids we are getting in the portal on the offensive side of the ball you ding dong. If you can’t see that coen has value then you don’t know football. Every Kentucky fan wants him to stay except you. But as you said, your opinion mean nothing. Luckily
Please SA$$ show where I've said I didn't want Coen to stay? Were ALL reports about Leary being the real bogus? I've said repeatedly that I don't think any OC will be highly successful here because of the HC.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Stoops is the longest tenured coach in the sec. Coen first promised us two years and gave us one. Now after talking long term, he might interview with two different teams.

Those aren't remotely the same.
So Coen’s contract commitment matters because he has only been here a year, and Stoop's contract commitment doesn't because he has been here a long time.

Do you get paid to do damage control for CMS and the AD, or are you closely tied to the program in some way????

Serious question. It is ok if you do.

Well this season has turned into quite the little cluster. Not only did we underperform and loose an easily winnable bowl game, but now our OC and DC don't trust the HC and vice versa.

Hell, I don't blame Coen for looking at the bears job. He should interview if for no other reason than the experience. It doesn't work any different in any other industry so why should it here? Now if he takes the job then it will tarnish his character, but in today's world I don't think anyone really gaf.

Reactions: cathouse
1) It is obvious that teams show interest in coaches and request interviews.
2) When openings occur, and without being contacted, do coaches show interest and request interviews?
I assume, of course, that #2 probably happens, but it seems like we never hear about it. It seems stealth.

Just as we have to temper our praise of the defense by taking into account the slow pace, we also have to temper our criticism of the offense for that reason. We were in a 13-team tie for 31st in yards per play this season. Not spectacular, but worlds different than the way you portray it.

Reactions: BigTyrone
Some coaches, especially assistants are just nomads. They just aren't built for staying in one spot very long.i don't know much about Coen but he has moved a good bit the last couple of years.

Moving and climbing that ladder is what drives many young coaches. He is a fan favorite too. But if this is true it just seems his goal is an NFL head coach not a college coach.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
1) It is obvious that teams show interest in coaches and request interviews.
2) When openings occur, and without being contacted, do coaches show interest and request interviews?
I assume, of course, that #2 probably happens, but it seems like we never hear about it. It seems stealth.
It all happens behind the scenes through coaches agents.

The agents control the information that gets out. It may be for no other reason than to leverage a pay increase or a contract extension....or both.

Reactions: megablue
If Coen leaves, and if Stoops is any good, he'll hire another quality OC. If he can't, shows Stoops isn't topnotch.
If Coen leaves, I believe UK turns to Iowa style FB. Try to win 14 - 10 games with one or both of those being defensive scores! 🤮🤮🤮

Please SA$$ show where I've said I didn't want Coen to stay? Were ALL reports about Leary being the real bogus? I've said repeatedly that I don't think any OC will be highly successful here because of the HC.
Show me where I said I was smitten. If you can’t take some shit talk then don’t talk shit

Some coaches, especially assistants are just nomads. They just aren't built for staying in one spot very long.i don't know much about Coen but he has moved a good bit the last couple of years.

Moving and climbing that ladder is what drives many young coaches. He is a fan favorite too. But if this is true it just seems his goal is an NFL head coach not a college coach.
I actually think recruiting, NIL, the Transfer Portal and the total mess that is college football right now is driving these coaches out of the college ranks, and for those who can get an NFL gig, they would be crazy to turn that down.

The future of college football is really an unknown right now. Out of control, to say the least.

It all happens behind the scenes through coaches agents.

The agents control the information that gets out. It may be for no other reason than to leverage a pay increase or a contract extension....or both.
You make an excellent point and are surely correct. In situations where an agent initiates unsolicited contact and inquiry, if the team looking is interested ... it probably releases something about wanting to talk with a coach and makes it look like the first move was theirs and not from the coach.

It came from Matt Jones who gets all of his information directly from Vince Marrow.

And Jones claims he was at Jeff Ruby's with the assistant coaches when it all went down.

The report that Stoops accepted the job came from TA&M sports information dept that acknowledged the president made the offer and CMS accepted that offer, only to be nixed by the board because of fan uprising on social media.

Believe what you want. The truth is out there.....and the fallout will continue.
You’re right the truth is out there 😀😀😀

Face it. This game is semi-pro now. Money causes any situation to change or stay the same. If someone or group is willing to write the check. All contracts have clauses and stipulations. We're not dealing with the college football 🏈 of five years ago. And who knows where this all is headed.

Reactions: UKfirst and K86
Then why dosen't Coen come out and say so?
I agree totally!!!

We put a lot on his return being MORE than 1 year and if he doesn't want to be here and prefers the Pro game, WHY go out and get all of these transfers that are coming here because of him???

He REALLY needs to make a statement.

The main reason I think it's just for show is he is WAY DOWN the list of who the Bears prefer.

So Coen’s contract commitment matters because he has only been here a year, and Stoop's contract commitment doesn't because he has been here a long time.

Do you get paid to do damage control for CMS and the AD, or are you closely tied to the program in some way????

Serious question. It is ok if you do.

All strawman arguments. No one expects contracts to be fulfilled. However we do expect to take people at their word.

The last early exit was at least understandable and took a bunch of dominoes falling. Nothing close to that happening now even after his return and promises of stability; yet he seems to still be actively job searching.

Again, since these are all team focused reports, he can put all this to rest by making a statement. If we don't get one vey soon, you can take it to the bank he had active interest

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT