ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

According to a WWE release today going forward the Raw announced team will be Vic Joseph, Dio Maddin and Jerry Lawler

SD will be Michael Cole and Corey Graves. Renee Young is listed as a special contributor. Not trying to be that person but they really needed
her out of the broadcast booth.

So they aren't trying to load up that October 2nd episode of NXT are they? It's almost a Takeover Card.
Beth Phoenix does a lot better job than Renee Young. I just don't think live action commentary is her thing. I think she would be fine in a studio environment that is more scripted.

Reactions: K-mac18
I had to look up who Dio Maddin is and I'm surprised to see that Brennan Williams is going the commentary route. 28 years old, the son of Jaquelyn, and a former 3rd round NFL draft pick seems like the makings of a star. He must have injury problems holding him back.

Also, what about Tom Phillips? He's one of the best they have.

Last edited:
@BKH34 said it here a few years ago, and he was right - WWE's no blood policy hurt Morrison. If he could have had ONE match where he juiced and sold that he was near death, but made a heroic comeback for a meaningful win it would have made him with the fans that saw him as a pretty boy who just did flippy shit.
He could have been such a great face if they had given him a match where he could show that he was tough, but all of his big wins were in ladder matches.

WWE does lots of do-overs of famous matches, but the one they never do, which would be the most beneficial to a pretty boy face that the crowd isn't 100% behind, is Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind at Mind Games. That match would have given HBK a career's worth of good will from the most hardcore fans if he hadn't been such an upfront prick at the time.

Foley tells a story in his book that they did a spot in that match where it looks like Mankind botches something, Shawn gets visibly pissed and then they exchange a couple stiff rounds, and he says that they did that spot to basically work Big Dave & Wade Keller into thinking Shawn was throwing another fit like he did on Vader, but Michaels was 100% in on this one. No idea if the nerds got got.

Best Mick Foley match ever? Top 3 for sure.

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
If you haven't watched it yet I would highly recommend the WWE Untold on how the Kane character came to be. Watched it last night and thought it was really good.

Week 2 NXT ratings were down about 175,000 viewers from 1,179,000 to 1,006,000.

Hilarious everyone loves Lee and Dijak matches here yet shit on the Bucks because all they do is flippy shit...

it was a good match but they’ve had better.

Wonder if his name will be Johnny Jobber or Johnny Midcard in wwe?

seriously, I’m guessing he’s at that stage like Nakamura where he’s ready to get a check and not do much.

Serious question, Zay - how old are you? Give me a demographic if you’re not comfortable giving a precise age. My guess is you’re not old enough to drink yet. Just seeing if I’m right.

If you haven't watched it yet I would highly recommend the WWE Untold on how the Kane character came to be. Watched it last night and thought it was really good.

Week 2 NXT ratings were down about 175,000 viewers from 1,179,000 to 1,006,000.

That on the Network or the youtubes?

The Young Bucks do spot fests. They're top notch spot fests for sure, but not my cup of tea when it comes to tag team wrestling. Or even spot fests. Give me the Steiners or the Eliminators for one of those and I'll be happy.

I'm very biased towards this match, but DIY vs. Revival from Toronto Takeover back in 2016 is better than every Young Bucks match.

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
Serious question, Zay - how old are you? Give me a demographic if you’re not comfortable giving a precise age. My guess is you’re not old enough to drink yet. Just seeing if I’m right.

I don’t see what’s so unreasonable about someone not liking the majority of the wwe. I used to love it like everyone here but when you put a shit product out for a decade you eventually turn sour on it. Especially when one of the very few wrestlers you do like gets hot and is one of the few wrestlers to be over, yet has been used as nothing but top notch jobber in every single Universal title match he’s been put in.

Personally I hate change. I’ve always liked everything staying the way they’ve always been yet I can’t wait for the change that’s coming next Wednesday. Vince has had YEARS to make his product watchable and he’s stubbornly refused to give a shit what anyone wanted other than himself.

Looks like RAW is adding Jerry Lawler to announce team.
He should have never been removed. Admittedly I haven’t heard the other two but considering who wwe usually picks I don’t have faith they’re any good. Atleast they’ll have one good announcer with Jerry. idk why they wouldn’t just use Phillips and Sax with Jerry instead. Those two got screwed in this deal.

Seems like Fox is demanding all of the best talent be on their show. They’re wanting Wyatt now as well.

Indie wrestlers getting hurt, man. It's not funny, but it's so f'n funny. This dude thinking he's Kevin Nash and getting hoist by his own petard is amazing. Dude's probably 6'4. If you read the thread, the old dude who stands up as soon as the guy takes the spill is the wrestler's dad.

Probably a real life Red Forman in Dead Poets Society imo

He should have never been removed. Admittedly I haven’t heard the other two but considering who wwe usually picks I don’t have faith they’re any good. Atleast they’ll have one good announcer with Jerry. idk why they wouldn’t just use Phillips and Sax with Jerry instead. Those two got screwed in this deal.

Seems like Fox is demanding all of the best talent be on their show. They’re wanting Wyatt now as well.

Yeah Jerry never should have been taken off RAW - they can’t gut the roster it’s still a 3 hour show and without some star power will be even harder to watch.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat

I don’t see what’s so unreasonable about someone not liking the majority of the wwe. I used to love it like everyone here but when you put a shit product out for a decade you eventually turn sour on it. Especially when one of the very few wrestlers you do like gets hot and is one of the few wrestlers to be over, yet has been used as nothing but top notch jobber in every single Universal title match he’s been put in.

Personally I hate change. I’ve always liked everything staying the way they’ve always been yet I can’t wait for the change that’s coming next Wednesday. Vince has had YEARS to make his product watchable and he’s stubbornly refused to give a shit what anyone wanted other than himself.

It’s cool, man. I was just curious. You seem to gather your wrestling info through social media outlets, and maybe that’s the direction of this business(?) If that’s the way to appeal to younger fans, then I guess AEW is in to something.

If AEW is trying to tap into that younger demo through whatever means they seem to have intrigued you, then it must be working.

Meanwhile, my old ass is over here ready for some form of competition to be on tv so I can maybe enjoy my stories again.

Bret was better than Shawn at everything besides wrestling. FIGHT ME, COWARDS.
*As long as the wrestling opponent wasn't Steve Austin, Curt Hennig or Kevin Nash, in which case Bret was better than Shawn at literally everything.

Bret not having good matches with Undertaker with both in their career primes is mind boggling.

With the return of John Morrison, do you think they will send him to NXT to feud with Johnny Gargano? They could have a "Johnny Wrestling" on a pole match to see who gets to use that phrase.

With the return of John Morrison, do you think they will send him to NXT to feud with Johnny Gargano? They could have a "Johnny Wrestling" on a pole match to see who gets to use that phrase.
Just put all the wrestling Johns in a battle royal for the rights to the name John. Call it the InterJohntinental Title.

I'll be in the car.

Arn Anderson once told a story about job guys getting to the arena, looking at the booking sheet and then quitting the business altogether once they found out they were going to wrestle the Road Warriors. And I believe it.

But at least they didn't have to wrestle the Beverly Brothers.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT