ADVERTISEMENT

The official 2024 Olympics thread.

Speak for yourself. I’ve lived in and been successful in three different countries. It’s about the person, not the country.

Also, the reason so many come here is because we let them. Try emigrating to one of the other countries you mentioned. Unless you’re rich or have a connection, good luck.

-that's a good point, and germaine to many of the Mexican/Central American etc coming to the US... but I am friends with quite a few European folks who had money *before* they moved here and came here to be educated/settle/pursue happiness/wealth.

^this is not to say other places aren't awesome/you can't do well there... the system in the US makes it more attainable. There is scant upward mobility in European countries.

-the numbers don't lie. More European/Canadian etc. folks come to live in the US than vice-versa.

^I love visiting Canada and Europe, and I'm not a flag worshiper... but the US offers opportunity like nowhere else in the world.

-I hope your boy is doing better.

You’ve given yourself all you have. Living here doesn’t magically make one successful. Unless you’re on government handouts, give yourself more credit than that.

I’ve become more wealthy than I’ve ever dreamed of because I scored 90% or better on the majority of multiple choice tests I’ve taken - a lot of that because I was genetically passed down intelligence I had no control over. My family and I are forever grateful my father had the courage to come to this glorious country where the only thing stopping yourself from success are your own personal shortcomings. We are no longer oppressed, and America is still the greatest country in the world where the best and the brightest come to pursue success with not only a country that allows us - but one that encourages it and actively cheers it on. My children will always know they are lucky to live in the greatest country on earth.

-that's a good point, and germaine to many of the Mexican/Central American etc coming to the US... but I am friends with quite a few European folks who had money *before* they moved here and came here to be educated/settle/pursue happiness/wealth.

^this is not to say other places aren't awesome/you can't do well there... the system in the US makes it more attainable. There is scant upward mobility in European countries.

-the numbers don't lie. More European/Canadian etc. folks come to live in the US than vice-versa.

^I love visiting Canada and Europe, and I'm not a flag worshiper... but the US offers opportunity like nowhere else in the world.

-I hope your boy is doing better.

Thanks sir - he’s in college now. He outgrew the issues in 5th grade.

As someone who immigrated to the US as a 5 year old I wouldn’t dream of representing anybody other than the US, the country that’s given me all I have. I hope Ed Orgeron gets some Tiger football players to beat him up and shove gumbo up his ass when he comes HOME.
The guy still speaks with a Cajun accent.

But he’s Swedish.

Sure did. They tied and the options were share the gold or a jump off. Went with the jump off and lost

Did the other guy want to stop jumping and share it? I think both have to agree. If it was offered and the American turned it down, I think that’s a bad move. You’re probably only getting one chance at an Olympic gold medal.

In 2021 the high jumpers shared the gold - forget who they were but they mentioned it

Pretty sure the New Zealand guy didn’t want to share it so they went winner take all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT