ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

BONK.

I love watching crappy indie guys get hurt. It goes against my general principles, but that dude probably kicked out of that power bomb onto the corner of an air hockey table, so screw him. Hope he needs a walker by age 30.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Love those guys’ videos on twitter. That was the most I’ve cringed at one of their spots. That looks like it hurt like a mamma jamma

I subscribe to the observer and love his podcasts, but yes he is weird. I was listening one day and Bryan Alvarez mentioned it was his daughters birthday and Dave just went "OMG I can't believe we never realized your daughter has the same birthday as Ricky Steamboat!" and Bryan was like "yeah my wife was in labor and having a natural birth, Ricky Steamboat was the furthest ****ing thing from my mind" and Dave just went on and on about how he couldn't believe it.

Jesus Christ dude. This is completely Dave Meltzer! Lol. It literally can sum him up, lol

Reminder there is a one hour AEW Special tonight at 10pm on TNT. Guessing it is to promote the show Saturday night and the debut in October.

The get in price for the first AEW on TNT show in DC is $10 despite being sold out. Scalpers grossly over estimated the demand.

Reactions: Wesley91581
AEW had all of this momentum, but no home. Gotta do more than throw out promos and vignettes on a Yourube channel every other day. It has to be difficult to reach a mainstream audience if that audience has no idea how to view your product on a regular basis. I’m sure Zay will set me straight, but why couldn’t AEW wait to put on those PPVs until their weekly program was ready to roll? Just seems like they could have gained more sustainable momentum(?)

AEW? Rather watch A&E.

*rimshot*

But seriously. Maybe Becky and Seth will make a honeymoon sex tape that gets leaked.

Reactions: K-mac18
Takeover UK sounds like an amazing show so far.
Looking to watching it and also to see what AEW comes up with tonight!!

All In was Labor Day Saturday last year too right? If so does that mean this is their Wrestlemania weekend?

I get that The Elite guys are huge nerds who have been in Japan for the last 10 years but they have to realize their target demographic is going to be watching college football.

Reactions: KRJ1975
That was probably the best ladder match in history and one of the best tag matches I’ve ever seen. Unreal. HBK and Hall are my two favorite wrestlers ever but I think this was better.

At bkh34 only good thing during this show

At age 60 you wouldn't think he'd still have the best spine buster in the business.

You wouldn't think...

Cricket made a good point - AEW doing a show on a college football Saturday is a bad business decision. I want AEW to succeed, but I would also rather watch football.

It doesn't matter what anybody says on the internet, if we talk about who's been the best in ring since 2015 around the world It's a Top 3, Orton, Rollins and Styles. All in the WWE, AEW is here and it's seems they are going all in on Cody and how he leads to the company. He IMO has got to get one of those 3 Top guys to make TNT and AEW a true player.

Reactions: KRJ1975
It doesn't matter what anybody says on the internet, if we talk about who's been the best in ring since 2015 around the world It's a Top 3, Orton, Rollins and Styles. All in the WWE, AEW is here and it's seems they are going all in on Cody and how he leads to the company. He IMO has got to get one of those 3 Top guys to make TNT and AEW a true player.

But they've got Arn Anderson dishing out spinebusters! The beginning of the end of WWE is upon us.

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
So Cody came out in Star Trek gear and buried a young guy trying to get over...

Jericho made fun of WWE for putting the belt on Brock and said way to help the young guys out then goes over Adam Page

Yup about what I expected...

Reactions: UKWildcatT
The show was too long. 5 hour show (including buy in) is ridiculous - I don’t care what company it is.

Matches went too long and they should have cut a couple.

Match of the night for me was Spears and Cody. Everything Cody has done since leaving WWE has been great.

The ladder match was good - couple of spots at the end were pretty cringe worthy though.

Jericho winning was the right call. You have to put the belt on Jericho to start. Everyone knows him, gives it instant credibility.

Now Hangman can chase him and become a bigger star from that. Anyone with a brain understands that booking.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Next AEW PPV will be on November 9th from Baltimore called Full Gear.

Agree with putting the title on Jericho, he’s the most known guy.

Think Page and PAC are going have their thing now.

Still amazed at how many people thought Punk was going to be at the show, and were ticked he wasn’t.

Full disclosure, I didn’t watch the show at all. But from what I’ve seen from clips on Twitter if you want this to be mainstream wrestling you’ve got to stop with staplers to the head. I get that Joey Janela’s gimmick is he just dgaf, but you’ve got to think of the kids/idiots out there that are going to try that at home. Also give Orange Cassidy all the screen time. That dude is awesome. I could watch him do that kip up with his hands in his pockets on loop.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
ll disclosure, I didn’t watch the show at all. But from what I’ve seen from clips on Twitter if you want this to be mainstream wrestling you’ve got to stop with staplers to the head. I get that Joey Janela’s gimmick is he just dgaf, but you’ve got to think of the kids/idiots out there that are going to try that at home.

Bet Cracker Barrel loved having their name associated with that match.

Also give Orange Cassidy all the screen time. That dude is awesome. I could watch him do that kip up with his hands in his pockets on loop.

B1nO.gif

Full disclosure, I didn’t watch the show at all. But from what I’ve seen from clips on Twitter if you want this to be mainstream wrestling you’ve got to stop with staplers to the head. I get that Joey Janela’s gimmick is he just dgaf, but you’ve got to think of the kids/idiots out there that are going to try that at home. Also give Orange Cassidy all the screen time. That dude is awesome. I could watch him do that kip up with his hands in his pockets on loop.
To be fair Tony said the ppvs will be more violent than the tv shows. Don’t expect to see that type stuff on tnt.

My overall take on All Out: if it wasn’t the ppv of the year it was definitely top 3.

I did think the show started off a bit clunky. The first few matches had some slips and botches but the show took off fast really with the Jurassic Express vs SCU match. I’ve been saying MJF is the biggest potential star in any promotion but they have found another gold mine with Luchasaurus. His pops are huge, he’s massively over, his look is one of the most badass in all of wrestling and he’s Awesome in ring for his size. He’s main event singles material whenever they decide to break up that group.

PAC vs Omega was great match like people thought it would be. Wasn’t match of the year type great but extremely good. I was very surprised at how early in the card it was. Was even more surprised at the finish but I loved it after I thought about it. They’ve set up pac to be a player for the title down the road. Plus everyone expected Kenny to be the chosen one when AEW started. They’ve thrown a curve. Won’t surprise me to see him lose to Moxley either. But he will eventually have a huge comeback and end up with the title.

The Allin/Janela/Havoc match was pretty damn good. The Allin spot with the barrel was nuts. Janela pulling a tennis racket from under the ring and saying “who in the hell would use this” was another great shot at Corny. Again I was surprised at who won. Would have picked Allin followed by Janela but they went with Havoc.

Dark Order vs Best Friends was a solid match but I’m having a hard time taking DO seriously. I think they messed up having their creepers act cartoonish. They’d probably instill more fear if they’d had them act serious. Bad part is the DO are actually good wrestlers and everyone that’s seen them pre AEW evidently love them but I don’t see it yet. I agree with the post above, the more Orange Cassidy the better. He hit a freaking suicide dive with hands in pockets and they NEVER came out.

The Riho vs Shida match was a good match, especially for women. The problem for me is I have nothing invested in either of the women which made watching it kind of a pain. Riho winning sets up an interesting match with Rose for the title. Have to think Rose wins.

Things went balls to the wall from here. Cody vs Spears was awesome. They’ve made Spears into a legit top level heel and I’m far from the only one that thinks so judging by twitter this weekend. And Cody, whether you love him or hate him, has turned himself into one of the best in the world. He’s yet to have a bad match or even average match.

Bucks vs Lucha Bros left me speechless. Like I said before, best ladder match ever and one of the best tag matches ever. You knew it would be crazy when the ref left the ring when the bell rang and they had a ref in each corner outside the ring. I lost count on how many tables were broken. There was stuff I’ve never even dreamed of or thought possible. Nick Jackson diving thru the A frame of the ladder and over the top rope to the outside blew me away. I can’t believe he had to balls to try that and actually pull it off. There was so much in match that you have to watch it if you like wrestling even a little.

Hangman vs Jericho had the unfortunate task of following that match. Page coming out on a damn horse was crazy. Can’t believe he talked them into letting him do it. The match itself was very good. I think it went 26 minutes and there were very little holds and rests. Chris had no trouble keeping up with a 27 year old. Page was already a star in some people’s eyes but judging off what all I’ve seen, he’s now a star in a lot of people’s minds. That Judas Effect that Jericho hit to win came out of nowhere. The one and only bad spot in this match was the ref making the blade handoff too obvious. Camera angles are to blame here too though.

Closing thoughts: there was something for everyone in this show. They’ve managed to really catapult the starpower and popularity of a handful of their guys in a really short time. I don’t know if it’s because they’re something new or if they’re just pressing all the right buttons. I don’t understand how anybody can complain about the booking (Cody winning). He was the only member of the Elite to win. They still made Spears look great in the process. Cody won for a reason. My guess is to make MJF look even better when he turns on Cody and probably wins their feud. This is Vince and wwe where there’s a track record of bad booking. Until they show they don’t know how to book then you have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Btw this clip of Jericho after the show is awesome. Lol at the shot at Pillman Jr.

My overall take on All Out: if it wasn’t the ppv of the year it was definitely top 3.

I did think the show started off a bit clunky. The first few matches had some slips and botches but the show took off fast really with the Jurassic Express vs SCU match. I’ve been saying MJF is the biggest potential star in any promotion but they have found another gold mine with Luchasaurus. His pops are huge, he’s massively over, his look is one of the most badass in all of wrestling and he’s Awesome in ring for his size. He’s main event singles material whenever they decide to break up that group.

PAC vs Omega was great match like people thought it would be. Wasn’t match of the year type great but extremely good. I was very surprised at how early in the card it was. Was even more surprised at the finish but I loved it after I thought about it. They’ve set up pac to be a player for the title down the road. Plus everyone expected Kenny to be the chosen one when AEW started. They’ve thrown a curve. Won’t surprise me to see him lose to Moxley either. But he will eventually have a huge comeback and end up with the title.

The Allin/Janela/Havoc match was pretty damn good. The Allin spot with the barrel was nuts. Janela pulling a tennis racket from under the ring and saying “who in the hell would use this” was another great shot at Corny. Again I was surprised at who won. Would have picked Allin followed by Janela but they went with Havoc.

Dark Order vs Best Friends was a solid match but I’m having a hard time taking DO seriously. I think they messed up having their creepers act cartoonish. They’d probably instill more fear if they’d had them act serious. Bad part is the DO are actually good wrestlers and everyone that’s seen them pre AEW evidently love them but I don’t see it yet. I agree with the post above, the more Orange Cassidy the better. He hit a freaking suicide dive with hands in pockets and they NEVER came out.

The Riho vs Shida match was a good match, especially for women. The problem for me is I have nothing invested in either of the women which made watching it kind of a pain. Riho winning sets up an interesting match with Rose for the title. Have to think Rose wins.

Things went balls to the wall from here. Cody vs Spears was awesome. They’ve made Spears into a legit top level heel and I’m far from the only one that thinks so judging by twitter this weekend. And Cody, whether you love him or hate him, has turned himself into one of the best in the world. He’s yet to have a bad match or even average match.

Bucks vs Lucha Bros left me speechless. Like I said before, best ladder match ever and one of the best tag matches ever. You knew it would be crazy when the ref left the ring when the bell rang and they had a ref in each corner outside the ring. I lost count on how many tables were broken. There was stuff I’ve never even dreamed of or thought possible. Nick Jackson diving thru the A frame of the ladder and over the top rope to the outside blew me away. I can’t believe he had to balls to try that and actually pull it off. There was so much in match that you have to watch it if you like wrestling even a little.

Hangman vs Jericho had the unfortunate task of following that match. Page coming out on a damn horse was crazy. Can’t believe he talked them into letting him do it. The match itself was very good. I think it went 26 minutes and there were very little holds and rests. Chris had no trouble keeping up with a 27 year old. Page was already a star in some people’s eyes but judging off what all I’ve seen, he’s now a star in a lot of people’s minds. That Judas Effect that Jericho hit to win came out of nowhere. The one and only bad spot in this match was the ref making the blade handoff too obvious. Camera angles are to blame here too though.

Closing thoughts: there was something for everyone in this show. They’ve managed to really catapult the starpower and popularity of a handful of their guys in a really short time. I don’t know if it’s because they’re something new or if they’re just pressing all the right buttons. I don’t understand how anybody can complain about the booking (Cody winning). He was the only member of the Elite to win. They still made Spears look great in the process. Cody won for a reason. My guess is to make MJF look even better when he turns on Cody and probably wins their feud. This is Vince and wwe where there’s a track record of bad booking. Until they show they don’t know how to book then you have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Btw this clip of Jericho after the show is awesome. Lol at the shot at Pillman Jr.

Uncle Dave likes this.

Old school what could have been...

Do you know what the plan was going to be for Nailz if he didn't beat the crap out of Vince and get fired and sued?

After the angle with Big Boss Man, they were going to do a long program with Nailz and Undertaker, culminating in a match at WM 9 that would have seen Undertaker win and then execute Nailz in the electric chair.

Just once can we have nice things?

Lol the name of Hangman’s horse is Hunter Horse Helmsley.

Btw, Kacy Catanzaro and Kylie Rae have been released from wwe and AEW respectively. Both asked for it. Both have medical issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT