ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Preseason Top 25

uk has more talent, length, size, athleticism, and depth than any of those teams. just no known player.

Wichita St. basically returns their whole team and they will have the experience. We play Kansas right off the bat so we will see where we stand with them real quick. Kansas will be good and much more experienced, but they will have 1 first round pick on that team.

Call me arrogant or whatever, but KU's roster doesn't scare me. Now they may definitely beat us in November, but I just don't see them making a deep run in March. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone:

Newman
Graham
Svi
Vick
Azubike
Billy Preston
Lightfoot

The Lawson brothers and the other 2 transfers won't be eligible next year anyway. Am I missing anything?

Call me arrogant or whatever, but KU's roster doesn't scare me. Now they may definitely beat us in November, but I just don't see them making a deep run in March. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone:

Newman
Graham
Svi
Vick
Azubike
Billy Preston
Lightfoot

The Lawson brothers and the other 2 transfers won't be eligible next year anyway. Am I missing anything?

Well, several of those players were on the team and played when they beat a better UK team at Rupp this past season.

Reactions: cgreen423

Newman
Graham
Svi
Vick
Azubike
Billy Preston
Lightfoot

Yeah, if Graham or Newman is the PG I think they are in trouble. Mason and Jackson were huge for that team.

Reactions: TM2013
Well, several of those players were on the team and played when they beat a better UK team at Rupp this past season.
And yet the most important players of that KU team won't be there any more. [eyeroll]

Like my post said, they definitely could beat us in November, they got the edge on us in experience. Context my man.

But outside of that what makes them scary?

While Kansas does not scare me, they will be a good team as always. They will have depth and experience, which is crucial in college basketball. They have talent, maybe not our talent level...but better than 99% of the country. Add the talent, experience, and depth and that is the makings of a solid team....that will lose in the Sweet 16 as a 1 seed.

Reactions: exemjr and BBUK
The team that is by far the most overrated is UNC . KU has a very average roster but Graham can really make shots . Duke will be like Duke was this season IMO . MSU , UK ,Zona and Witchita St are the best teams.
Duke has no depth at all. Bolden will have to improve tremendously for them to be a top 10 team.

The top three are pretty standard. Everyone has Zona, MSU, and KU in there in some order.

After those three, it's anyone's guess.

Arguments can be made for several teams for the 4 and 5 spots. Right now, I will go with this:

1. MSU
2. Zona
3. KU
4. UK
5. Duke

Newman
Graham
Svi
Vick
Azubike
Billy Preston
Lightfoot

Lawson Brothers and Moore (from Cal) are the transfers that sit out in 2017-18.

Sam Cunliffe a transfer from Arizona State will be eligible in mid-December after Kansas plays Kentucky in Chicago in November.

Jack Whitman is 6'9" Grad Transfer from William and Mary. A serviceable back-up BIG.

4* 6'5" Guard, Marcus Garrett that played point in High School at Skyline Dallas (Texas Player of the Year) but will play more off ball. But he will be 9th or 10th. off the bench this season.

Lawson Brothers and Moore (from Cal) are the transfers that sit out in 2017-18.

Sam Cunliffe a transfer from Arizona State will be eligible in mid-December after Kansas plays Kentucky in Chicago in November.

Jack Whitman is 6'9" Grad Transfer from William and Mary. A serviceable back-up BIG.

4* 6'5" Guard, Marcus Garrett that played point in High School at Skyline Dallas (Texas Player of the Year) but will play more off ball. But he will be 9th or 10th. off the bench this season.
Okay, so I don't see a top 5 lineup there though, do you?

I see Duke and UofL (our rivals of course lol).

Snider, King, Adel, Spalding, and Mahmoud do not scare me and their bench will rely on Freshman who aren't really top level guys other than that big man they got...a Pitino team relying on freshman does not sound scary considering how freshman play under him. Losing Johnson and Mitchell hurt...but they also lost Mathiang and Matz in the post..combined with Johnson they will be paper thing in the post. They'll be ok with a senior PG, but not elite.

Duke will be relying on a freshman point, who really is not a Coach K style PG and that will not be good for them. They have some talent in the starting 5, but their bench options look thin. They aren't deep, ultra talented or more experienced than usual so I think they could struggle.

Schwaggy P, being that you a Tator State fan, don't you have a State/County Fair to prepare for? We are talking Basketball here.

Only possible addition is Johnson and that may help UK get to the top three, however I don't want to be number one. No where to go but down, and we aren't going undefeated so the media will just be drooling in anticipation for UK's first loss.
Strongest Non Conference opponents in order
1. Kansas
2. UCLA
3. WVU
4. Louisville
5. Virginia Tech
6. Mid majors

The players that contributed the most in that game are all gone, it's questionable on whether or not UK will be better or worse than last year and same goes with Kansas.

Reactions: cgreen423
I stopped caring about preseason rankings a while back. Never liked when we got the 1 when we are always so young. I don't knock people for being interested in them, but I think basketball and football preseason polls are pretty worthless.

Having Diallo to guard Graham or Newman should be an early dividend on Hamidou's return. DeAaron Fox has talked about how difficult he makes it. And neither Graham or Newman is DeAaron Fox. On the other side, I'm not sure who Kansas can put on Kevin Knox. Svi? Yikes.

Beyond that, Kentucky should have a huge edge on size and athleticism in the front court. Who guards Vanderbilt? Washington? I'll admit I don't know how to factor Billy Preston right now. I'll list him as a wild card in Kansas' favor.

At the 5, there may not be many college centers as unpolished as Nick Richards is right now, but Azibuike is one, unless he got much, much smoother after being injured and sidelined for the season.

The only edge for Kansas, and that won't last past November, is experience.

Azubuike is pretty good. We're going to see a ton of zone so early on it's going to be Cal making sure the young guys dont settle for shots you can get at any point in a possession.

Any preseason poll that does not have Zona as #1 should be immediately ignored. MSU should nother be rated over Zona! That's the Izzo crap factor

Wish we had UNC again in the CBS sports classic, just to dominate and get revenge from the elite eight. However CBS is happy that UK and UCLA will go head to head since that is a top ten show down which will provide great ratings. Revenge factor is on their side.

well, obviously you do and the OP did. Why else would you take your time to post.

Idiot...

I responded to a question about the Kansas roster. No, Preseason Polls are not that important. I can't speak on the OP's thought process on why or why not he would disagree. Vegas odds, maybe. But a CBS Preseason Poll in May, I would rather talk about Schwagg's prized cauliflower or pig or whatever he brings to the County Fairs.

I responded to a question about the Kansas roster. No, Preseason Polls are not that important. I can't speak on the OP's thought process on why or why not he would disagree. Vegas odds, maybe. But a CBS Preseason Poll in May, I would rather talk about Schwagg's prized cauliflower or pig or whatever he brings to the County Fairs.

keep talking dude. If you don't care just move on.

Also, if you rather talk about Schwagg's prized cauliflower or pig or whatever....then do that. But you won't because you really don't care about those thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT