ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you think the NCAA will TRY to make us play in the tournament?

St John’s if they even have a chance to get in. Cal vs Pitino one more time.
St. John's won't make it unless they win a few marquee games in the Big East tourney. They're only 17-12 right now. Even if they beat DePaul and Georgetown, they're going to need to take down Creighton or UConn in their tourney to get an at-large big. It's possible. They almost beat UConn at UConn earlier this year, and they already blew out Creighton.

Pitino is 3-0 since his infamous remarks about his team went viral.

Not only that but UCLA had beaten us earlier in the season and we beat UNC earlier in the season. It was going to be tough to beat UNC twice if we got past UCLA. That year seemed rigged anyway because if you remember, Arkansas had UNC beat in the 2nd round but the refs stepped in and bailed the Cheats out.
Oh I remember, alright! The wife and I were stunned at the calls against Arkansas in that game. Criminal.

What matchups would not be an NCAA conspiracy?

It's not a conspiracy. They seek out matchups every year that gin up more interest. Years ago they stayed true to geography. Then with multiple teams from a conference and what happened to us in 86 they started spreading everything out. That gave them flexibility to create more matchups.

It wasn't a coincidence we were set up to play West Virginia in 2011 and UConn in 2012. Or Cincinnati in 2015 and Indiana in 2016. They know what they're doing.

Also, they always flip flop on the importance of winning a conference tournament. In years we win the SECT, somehow it has no effect on our seeding.

3 seed just seems like it will hard to get unless a lot of these teams lose and Kentucky beats Tennessee
If we beat Tennessee we don't need anyone to lose to get a 3 IMO. Even if we lose a close one to Tennessee but get 2 wins in SEC tournament we will be a 3 I believe. People are moving us up finally and rightfully so. We beat UT and we are at worst a 3 regardless IMO.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
It's not a conspiracy. They seek out matchups every year that gin up more interest. Years ago they stayed true to geography. Then with multiple teams from a conference and what happened to us in 86 they started spreading everything out. That gave them flexibility to create more matchups.

It wasn't a coincidence we were set up to play West Virginia in 2011 and UConn in 2012. Or Cincinnati in 2015 and Indiana in 2016. They know what they're doing.

Also, they always flip flop on the importance of winning a conference tournament. In years we win the SECT, somehow it has no effect on our seeding.

Last year Kentucky had a favorable draw. You can find a "story" with almost every team someone is in line to play when you always make the tournament.

They will go for style of play vs. "storylines".

Two types of teams they will focus on lining us up with right out of the gates: Whatever low seed has the absolute best offensive or defensive rating. In other words, if they have 12-15 seeds that have high offensive rankings, they'll be the first they look at hoping for a shoot out and a chance that we're somehow cold and get beaten.

Next up would be 12-15 seeds with highly-rated defensive efficiencies. These will be fun in their eyes to pit against a nuclear offense. However, we've already proven to still be able to score at will against all defenses (sans that juggernaut performance from USCjr), so I think they will try to put us up against high octane offenses since most of the games we've lost have been high scoring affairs.

UNC for a potential rematch, just like the Monk/Fox team.
I can see it coming from a country mile away because we already played and beat them( angers NCAA) and they'll call 10 fouls on us in a row at the end just to make it WORSE than 2017, I'm calling it now. They're trying to make Cal get the point, he's not welcome in the NCAA anymore. No more titles w Cal, ID SO LOVE TO BE WRONG!! I'm not. Feel free to blast me if I'm wrong I'll insult myself w you and eat 15 lbs of crow. Go BIG BLUE

Reactions: ThunderMash
Lmao 2017 there were THREE top 5 teams in our region: UK, the cheats and UCLA. Of course we had to face both UCLA and the cheats in back to back games. It took a Higgins’ screw job to get us beat in that EE game. Cock sucker! Anyway, that was a TERRIBLE draw!
Still need to fix the bad bow in my oak floor because of that effing game. I BETTER not see Higgins anywhere near, HOOAH.

Let me be clear....I'm not saying the committee is wringing it's hands doing the Dr. Evil laugh, saying "*how do we get Kentucky out early?"

I'm saying it's more like "we have a chance to pit Kentucky vs the team that eliminated them last year" or "we can pit Kentucky vs a school they won't play that the fans want to see" or, like last year, "we can pit Kentucky vs the player that left Kentucky and has dominated at Providence this year".

You can say they don't do it on purpose, but by comparison look at Duke:s draw every year.

I say they want matchups with Memphis, St. John's,
Michigan State, Seton Hall, BYU or Grand Canyon ( my sleeper this year)
If those teams get into the field. I wouldn't be surprised to see us have to play one of them.

Still need to fix the bad bow in my oak floor because of that effing game. I BETTER not see Higgins anywhere near, HOOAH.
Thankfully he’s not officiating any longer. But he is the Coordinator of Officials for the Western Basketball Officiating Consortium. Anyone know if these Coordinators also make assignments in the NCAA Tournament? I sure hope not!

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
If we beat Tennessee we don't need anyone to lose to get a 3 IMO. Even if we lose a close one to Tennessee but get 2 wins in SEC tournament we will be a 3 I believe. People are moving us up finally and rightfully so. We beat UT and we are at worst a 3 regardless IMO.
Bingo. Yep we either beat UT and then make it to Sunday next week OR lose a close one then make it to the finals next week while bating the likes of UF , AU. Bama , UT , USC ect along the way and we are a 3 seed. IMO the former is what happens. Though I think we probably the SECT as well which propels us on a great run in March/April...

Obviously they have to abide by seeding, but all it takes is bumping up or dropping down a team to get a lot of Made for TV matchups. Here are teams the NCAA put in our way in the second round since Cal's been here. Note not all those teams advanced. But they have consistently given us potential matchups that had extra drama.

2010: Texas (lost to Wake)
2011: West Virginia
2012: UConn (lost to Iowa St)
2014: Wichita State
2015: Cincinnati
2016: Indiana
2017: Wichita State
2018: Arizona (lost to Buffalo)
2019: Seton Hall (lost to Wofford)
2022: Murray St
2023: Kansas St

In 2010 Texas had top 10 talent but couldn't put it together. Same with 2012 UConn, which had beaten us the year before. 2011 WVU had beaten us the year before. 2015 Cincinnati and 2016 Indiana had the whole "UK won't play us" thing going on. Wichita State had revenge going for it. Seton Hall beat us that year, so that was probably advantage to us. Murray State is the only state school UK never plays.

First round we should be a 3 or a 4, so we'll face a 14 or 13. Can't think of any sexy matchups there. But the second round will be against a 6 or 5 (barring upset) and that's where it gets interesting. Memphis? Wisconsin?
Tarleton State

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT