ADVERTISEMENT

****Cats vs A&M Game Thread****

As a person who's been crapped upon on his birthday, and lost a family member on it another year? I don't like that behavior out of anybody, just low class. Didn't like it when UF did it to Monk last year.

Outside of that? Yeah...he owns this one big time.

Totally get it. But it's hard for me to have any pity for Cal at this moment. He's my coach but so far, he's done a bad job this year. He not only needs to figure out this team, he needs think about where basketball is going and reinvent some of his approach. Just like he did with the OAD, he needs to adjust as things are changing.

Last edited:
If you are not very good offensive you must use defense to get you going. The press is the answer with this group. Run them until they drop.

Reactions: kev69
Total get it. But it's hard for me to have any pity for Cal at this moment. He's my coach but so far, he's done a bad job this year. He not only needs to figure out this team, he needs think about where basketball is going and reinvent some of his approach. Just like he did with the OAD, he needs to adjust as things are changing.

I agree. He's putting in his worst year at UK right now. No excuse for this team NOT to be good.

At least the 12-13 year we had a built in excuse losing Nerlens.

Cal is going to have some very tough questions over the next week.

The most disappointing thing to me was the quit. It looked like a game at the Y where a bunch of guys have been playing too long and would rather snowbird for a dunk than get back and get a rebound. There is serious disfunction on this team.

What would that be? What do you think he can do now? They are what they are.

Whether or not he can fix it or not, reporters are going to start throwing grenades at him. He's a big boy and can handle it but he'll have to explain what's going on.

What would that be? What do you think he can do now? They are what they are.

He's still the coach. At some point he has to take ownership of the product on the floor. We do it with every position on earth, why not his right now.

I'm not very happy with him right now. It's February. They better have a massive 180 or we are in trouble.

Reactions: lmhurst
The most disappointing thing to me was the quit. It looked like a game at the Y where a bunch of guys have been playing too long and would rather snowbird for a dunk than get back and get a rebound. There is serious disfunction on this team.

This.

He's still the coach. At some point he has to take ownership of the product on the floor. We do it with every position on earth, why not his right now.

I'm not very happy with him right now. It's February. They better have a massive 180 or we are in trouble.

I think he takes responsibility, but sometimes i think we have to accept the possibility that he’s going to get a group who just ain’t buying what he’s selling. this looks like one of those groups.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
I agree. He's putting in his worst year at UK right now. No excuse for this team NOT to be good.

At least the 12-13 year we had a built in excuse losing Nerlens.

Cal is going to have some very tough questions over the next week.
What's really bad is that we got dominated by a school that puts only mediocre emphasis on basketball.

Not a single one of these players deserves to wear Kentucky across their chest.
Not true. It's okay toto make mistakes, all of our guys make mistskes. But SGA, Green and Gabriel are giving effort, they're doing everything they can to win games.
But we have some dudes that mail it in every game. I'm disgusted at Knox's effort, have been since Game 1 of the season. He jogs up and down the court, no matter the situation, and he stands around on offense and waits for the ball to come to him.
When it comes up effort, we're playing really short handed.

Not true. It's okay toto make mistakes, all of our guys make mistskes. But SGA, Green and Gabriel are giving effort, they're doing everything they can to win games.
But we have some dudes that mail it in every game. I'm disgusted at Knox's effort, have been since Game 1 of the season. He jogs up and down the court, no matter the situation, and he stands around on offense and waits for the ball to come to him.
When it comes up effort, we're playing really short handed.

I can concede this, but those giving effort, especially point guards and a sophomore have to lead and do something to demand effort from those others not giving it.

I hate to say that I have agreed with Dan Dakich for almost the entire game, but I have. It has come to this. He is right about our lack of hustle. He is right about the fact that our players need to realize that they are not only playing for themselves, but also for all the players that have played before them. There is pride on the front of that jersey and these guys show zero of that pride. I don't know what to do to change this. Line up the former players to tell them how much they care for UK and how much it hurts when they lose. Show them old film of the pride that it means to be wearing the jersey. Bench them. Just do something!

Best post I’ve read this year!

I think he takes responsibility, but sometimes i think we have to accept the possibility that he’s going to get a group who just ain’t buying what he’s selling. this looks like one of those groups.
In that case it sure would be nice to have some solid 3-4 year players he could point to on the bench who could at least play consistent and be good enough to win against average teams. Know what I'm saying?

Reactions: rivercatinfl
Best post I’ve read this year!
It was a very good post,the things the poster says might work for some of us old guys and for some players years ago but I question if old film would have much effect on these guys. Cal has to get to the "what does it mean to me"(current players being the me) level in order to get their attention.He has not been able to do that yet and I'm sure he has tried most everything he can think of along that line.

I probably watch more college basketball than I should(and more than I thought I would based on all the things going on in the world of college basketball) but I have a question. It seems to me that EVERY team I watch is playing with more effort and passion for the game than we are. Am I so bias about UK basketball that I see things that aren't there or fail to see things as they really are.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT