ADVERTISEMENT

Calapari feeling the heat?

Regardless of this year's stacked team and what it does... he'll have so much pressure to win it all next year that not only Cal, but his players will be so "tight", they could squeeze out a diamond...--doubt they make it to the Final 4.

(see last year's results)

He is done after next year regardless. I'd be shocked otherwise. He has a team that could win it this year and next likely.

He will turn 65 in middle of '24 season.

His contract clause kicks in at end of '24 season.

He would end with what in his mind is an ideal class.

All reasons that point to his retirement regardless of outcome. I've been saying this for 2 years at least.
Maybe I’m the only one but , I think we have a better chance at winning a championship this season as opposed to next season. We have the best player in college basketball and upperclassmen to go with a couple of talented freshman. It appears we will be SO young next year . I guess it’s possible that Oscar could return though.

Be careful what you wish for, because you may just get it. Cal isn’t perfect, and he has his faults. Everyone knows he’s the greatest recruiter we’ve ever had or will ever have. I think all of us are confused about his lineups and in game coaching. He’s tinkering with this team trying to find the perfect lineup and subs. Maybe he’s tinkering too much and doesn’t see what all the coaches on the board see. I agree that Reeves needs to get more minutes, maybe start. Toppin is really disappointing to me so far this year. If Ugo gets more minutes I believe he’ll be starting by year end, but he’s going to have a lot of growing pains. Wheeler is a great point guard, but I cringe every time he dribbles the ball straight to the goal. Wallace is absolutely a goat, and definitely 1 of our starters. Oscar is a no brainer to start every game. Livingston should be starting over Collins, and Ware. I love Ware but he needs to get way less minutes. Why isn‘t Ugo or Collins in the lineup for the jump balls at the beginning of the game? Why is Cal using Ware all the time? Cal’s trying too hard to find that perfect starting lineup. My staring lineup would be Wallace, CJ, Reeves, Oscar and either Livingston or Ugo. Use that lineup all year and sub in as needed. Play that team consistently and they’re going to click in a month. Will Ugo make mistakes? Yes. His upside down the road is limitless. Will we lose a game or two while they‘re learning? Maybe. Is it worth a try? I think so.
If the goal is to get the no1 recruiting class then your first two statements are are 100% correct. If your goal is to return to the best basketball program in the country and compete for titles then you aren’t taking much of a chance.

Reactions: delk4three
Never going to happen, but if Cal would just be the “face” of the program recruiting wise, and let his assistants coach the games, this current roster would be a near lock for a FF.

There’s more than enough evidence to suggest his “coaching” gets into the player’s head’s psychologically, and not in a good way!

Everyone except Calipari knows that. Actually he knows, he just doesn’t give a s**t.

He’s universally hated by the referees to boot. Impossible to overcome his in-game coaching PLUS playing 5 on 8. The players have to play a perfect game for us to win on a big stage and that only happens every now and then.

This is true and we saw it against Michigan state. They are not going to give Calipari the “old guard” whistle. With his coaching flaws, lack of offensive minded teams, typically average and below free throws shooting, and officials that hate him, there’s no way to clip the final net. I mean it would take a team that’s virtually unstoppable to do it.

IMO it really comes down to this year . Titles are next to impossible so you can't judge on that as hell we have won 8 in over 100 years . BUT you damn well can judge on being it in it . As you gotta be in it to win it and what I , and I believe most consider being in "it" is having a top 10 team that gets a 1-3 seed and makes at least to the elite 8 most years and the final 4 every few years . Last year he did TREMENDOUS in the regular season given injuries ect BUT FLOPPED in the 2nd part . BUT FIRST TIME HE HAS EVER FLOPPED LIKE THAT . Bill Self has done it 3-4 times and just won his 2nd title . It happens. BUT this is his most talented team IMO 1-11 arguably and we shouldn't lose more then 4 more games or so give or take a game. Most importantly we have no business not at least making the final 4. He does that I believe he is here 10 more years . There will always be fringe nuts , many on this board but they are fringe and no one takes seriously. It would be like saying all Trump voters believe that QAnon lunacy or all Democrats are down with Antifada . There's fringe nuts with all movements or fanbases.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Lord, I knew it was bad but not this bad. Wow

Like I’ve said, Calipari has sold some of these guys so bad they don’t even see it’s a ploy to keep them from recognizing he’s tanked this program.

Of it weren’t for that contract Calipari would have been fired last year. That’s a damn near guarantee.

Some of these guys owe Tubby Smith an apology.

IMO it really comes down to this year . Titles are next to impossible so you can't judge on that as hell we have won 8 in over 100 years . BUT you damn well can judge on being it in it . As you gotta be in it to win it and what I , and I believe most consider being in "it" is having a top 10 team that gets a 1-3 seed and makes at least to the elite 8 most years and the final 4 every few years . Last year he did TREMENDOUS in the regular season given injuries ect BUT FLOPPED in the 2nd part . BUT FIRST TIME HE HAS EVER FLOPPED LIKE THAT . Bill Self has done it 3-4 times and just won his 2nd title . It happens. BUT this is his most talented team IMO 1-11 arguably and we shouldn't lose more then 4 more games or so give or take a game. Most importantly we have no business not at least making the final 4. He does that I believe he is here 10 more years . There will always be fringe nuts , many on this board but they are fringe and no one takes seriously. It would be like saying all Trump voters believe that QAnon lunacy or all Democrats are down with Antifada . There's fringe nuts with all movements or fanbases.
Pretty much agree with this . I don’t guess you could call the year we lost to Kansas St. a flop , but it was bad. That bracket opened up for us and we lost to a mediocre team with a bad coach. We should have beaten Auburn another year. And I guess you are just going to overlook years that we go 9-16 and miss the tournament .

Pretty much agree with this . I don’t guess you could call the year we lost to Kansas St. a flop , but it was bad. That bracket opened up for us and we lost to a mediocre team with a bad coach. We should have beaten Auburn another year. And I guess you are just going to overlook years that we go 9-16 and miss the tournament .

Or the fact that we’ve beaten one power 5 tournament team since 2015. (My Hell how is that possible?)

Or no SEC titles.

Or a losing record to ranked teams.

Of a losing record to Rick Barnes

Or nationally televised blowouts to Duke

Or having a worse program of late than Auburn

Or watching Calipari pump his chest at splitting with Alabama for a couple of years.

Yea except all of that and more lol.

He’s universally hated by the referees to boot. Impossible to overcome his in-game coaching PLUS playing 5 on 8. The players have to play a perfect game for us to win on a big stage and that only happens every now and then.
Why is he universally hated by the referees?

Could we just switch the coaches in football and basketball?

Stoops would be playing 4 corners basketball. and our football would be so unstructured that it may confuse defenses. "Gooooooooo! Be unpredictable!! " 😁

This is pathetic...

Last year I said 2-3 years for Stoops...

For Coach Cal it has to be 2 years with two deep runs (Final Fours), or a big grateful "Thank you", gold watch, and next man up...

Even a Final Four with this loaded team will seem way short of potential...
It’s Final Four or bust. Once you get there it’s a great big coin flip.

He just needs to fix it. I could see him hear five more years as long as he’s winning And having fun. I mean K stayed until he was past 70.

Self is only 59 and that depresses me. If Cal leaves before him and we’re stuck watching KU be dominant for the next 5-7 years I’m done.

Reactions: ukfan041
THIS is a often overlooked problem that needs more attention. We've seen that many refs just don't like Calipari and will take any chance to T him up. So, you know those same refs aren't going to give our guys a fair shake on the court.
Yeah, he's pulling in the best recruits again but, that doesn't guarantee automatic success on the court.

Probably not a lot with Cal's ego. When his legacy being one of underachieving becomes the national nateative, his ego won't be able to take a hit like that. A 'dream opportunity that he just can't pass up' will become available.
Frankly I don't see how that isn't the national narrative already!
How many #1 or at least top 3 recruiting classes can a coach pull and have nothing to show for it? Add to that a trip to the NIT and a 9-16 season at Kentucky of all places!
He's working hard to redefine the term "underachieving".

Define deep runs bc some think sweet sixteen or elite 8 is deep run.
They are casual fans or not fans at all. Final Four or title for most on here. However my expectations last year was at least a Final Four and Cal failed miserably. So this year for me it is title or bust. Winning the title is the only way Cal will win back my trust. IDGAF what he does next year if he fails again this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcats1st
Herein lies the rub:
Cal is bringing in not only the top recruiting class in the Country next season but also one of the greatest ever.
You dont run off a coach that is still doing that.
Plus, this team is loaded, and is more than capable of winning it all this season.
Factor in his buy out and Cal is not going anywhere and shouldnt.
I am not sure the next coach can recruit like cal does but the question is can another come in an perform better on the court? We lose a lot of games against decent comp and it March is ending way too early these days.

Last edited:
I am not sure the next coach can recruit like cal does but the question is can another come in an perform better on the court? We lose a lot of games against decent comp and it March is ending way too early the days.
Recruiting is overrated. Kansas just won a title with all players ranked 30-150.

It’s about finding the right pieces not the right amount of stars.

I swear if we were watching Calipari do this at UNC or UCLA and we were valuing education, program, and winning with talent outside the top 10, we’d call this crap an abomination to sports. It’s unreal how dishonest we’ve become.

It's actually about building a team that's cohesive and blends together to win the title. Winning the recruiting battle does nothing but assure you have future NBA players.

Gonzo said you can throw away 100 years of information regarding team building and winning strategies because of old, well, old something? Or something about lawns? I was trying to move with it because I too want to be accepted and cool, seen as above commoners. But damn it ain’t workin. Grandad it is.

What will be maddening is after our new coach comes in and starts winning like we should against even the good teams, the Cal cult will act like they were never a part of the Cal cult

If you show his resume of wins and losses without his name on it, everyone would want him gone

If Few decides to run tomorrow, Cal will escape heat on this game. If Few decides to clog the lane, we are in big trouble.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT