ADVERTISEMENT

Calapari feeling the heat?

UKortho

Junior
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2015
https://www.on3.com/college/kentuck...ure-kentucky-dan-wolken-gary-parrish-memphis/

USA Today writer Dan Wolken, who covered Calipari while he was the coach at Memphis, made quite a prediction about how much longer Calipari might have at Kentucky. The Wildcats, of course, were knocked out of the NCAA Tournament in the first round by No. 15 seed Saint Peter’s, but have started fast this season as they try to avenge that loss.

Still, Wolken said March Madness success will be a big factor in determining Calipari’s future.

Last edited:
“If the narrative sets in that he’s maybe a little outdated with some of the things he’s doing, he’s washed up, he doesn’t have the same juice he had in the program, it’s going to go downhill quick,” Wolken said on “The Gary Parrish Show” Friday. “I think if he doesn’t — I’ll put this prediction out here right now — if they don’t get to the Elite 8 this year, I think he’s got one more year left after this and then I think it’s over.”

I agree, he has to make a deep run this year and next. I’m not a FARRR CAL kinda guy. But yea. He needs to make a deep run…this year..and next. Or his time is done and he should leave and I would like for him to

https://www.on3.com/college/kentuck...ure-kentucky-dan-wolken-gary-parrish-memphis/

USA Today writer Dan Wolken, who covered Calipari while he was the coach at Memphis, made quite a prediction about how much longer Calipari might have at Kentucky. The Wildcats, of course, were knocked out of the NCAA Tournament in the first round by No. 15 seed Saint Peter’s, but have started fast this season as they try to avenge that loss.

Still, Wolken said March Madness success will be a big factor in determining Calipari’s future.
Let's face it. Must win Game just for faith. You can't drop both challenges in the first 5. I know we are better later usually but we only have 3 Frosh this year. It's in Spokane and of course they are coming off not just a loss but an embarrassment so perfect storm however no more!

No moral victories, we need this one as a fanbase. Stop the bleeding from last March. This wont slove everything but it will cauterize the wound.

This is only the beginning. The cult won’t be able to continue to spin for him, the majority of the base understands we Can’t keep him if he doesn’t win. It’s that f’n simple. These write ups are about to be everywhere.

If Calipari doesn’t have a good year, and doesn’t win a title in the two, a settlement on the buyout is coming and he’ll announce retirement.

If so What a bum move he pulled signing that contract and then quitting on this university. That man has absolutely not put his heart and soul into this program since and he knows it. Karma’s a bitch, that’s a lot of bad energy and fraudulent behavior. It’s a shame he didn’t care more about his own legacy too, he had it all and threw it in the garbage over a payday.

Turn it around Calipari. The calls for your seat are going to grow so loud man, and your personality of “piss them off more” will be your final undoing if you pull that during a real hot seat moment. Win the damn games, recruit offensive minded players, change and adapt, or it’s over for you.

He is done after next year regardless. I'd be shocked otherwise. He has a team that could win it this year and next likely.

He will turn 65 in middle of '24 season.

His contract clause kicks in at end of '24 season.

He would end with what in his mind is an ideal class.

All reasons that point to his retirement regardless of outcome. I've been saying this for 2 years at least.

Last edited:

If history repeats itself. There will be times this season that we look like the best team in the country. And then by the time that March rolls around, Calipari will have his players playing so tight that their confidence will be shot & we will have that NCAA tournament game like we do pretty much every year were we go 8 for 19 at the foul line & lose a 1 or 2 point game in the round of 32 or the Sweet 16. I expect nothing better as long as Calipari is here.

Herein lies the rub:
Cal is bringing in not only the top recruiting class in the Country next season but also one of the greatest ever.
You dont run off a coach that is still doing that.
Plus, this team is loaded, and is more than capable of winning it all this season.
Factor in his buy out and Cal is not going anywhere and shouldnt.

Last edited:
Be careful what you wish for, because you may just get it. Cal isn’t perfect, and he has his faults. Everyone knows he’s the greatest recruiter we’ve ever had or will ever have. I think all of us are confused about his lineups and in game coaching. He’s tinkering with this team trying to find the perfect lineup and subs. Maybe he’s tinkering too much and doesn’t see what all the coaches on the board see. I agree that Reeves needs to get more minutes, maybe start. Toppin is really disappointing to me so far this year. If Ugo gets more minutes I believe he’ll be starting by year end, but he’s going to have a lot of growing pains. Wheeler is a great point guard, but I cringe every time he dribbles the ball straight to the goal. Wallace is absolutely a goat, and definitely 1 of our starters. Oscar is a no brainer to start every game. Livingston should be starting over Collins, and Ware. I love Ware but he needs to get way less minutes. Why isn‘t Ugo or Collins in the lineup for the jump balls at the beginning of the game? Why is Cal using Ware all the time? Cal’s trying too hard to find that perfect starting lineup. My staring lineup would be Wallace, CJ, Reeves, Oscar and either Livingston or Ugo. Use that lineup all year and sub in as needed. Play that team consistently and they’re going to click in a month. Will Ugo make mistakes? Yes. His upside down the road is limitless. Will we lose a game or two while they‘re learning? Maybe. Is it worth a try? I think so.

Herein lies the rub:
Cal is bringing in not only the top recruiting class in the Country next season but also one of the greatest ever.
You dont run off a coach that is still doing that.
Plus, this team is loaded, and is more than capable of winning it all this season.
Factor in his buy out and Cal is not going anywhere and shouldnt.
You're correct, but seem to be missing the point simultaneously. He gets great talent. And these next two classes show that. The point is, what does he do with that talent. Talent alone won't win you every game, and those talented players need someone to steer the ship sometimes. As the years go by, it's become laughably obvious that Cal has in-game coaching deficiences. But the truly frustrating part is they all seem to be obvious easy fixes. And Cal seems to be the only person on the planet that doesn't see it. Yes, he gets talent. Yes, he produces millionares. Yes, he raises money for disaster relief and othe charitable things. But, the man is fundamentally flawed as an in-game basketball coach. Period. He is paid handsomely to win meaningful games and bring home titles for the UNiversity of Kentucky. He has the advantage of superior talent, and has not lived up to his end of the $9M deal.

You're correct, but seem to be missing the point simultaneously. He gets great talent. And these next two classes show that. The point is, what does he do with that talent. Talent alone won't win you every game, and those talented players need someone to steer the ship sometimes. As the years go by, it's become laughably obvious that Cal has in-game coaching deficiences. But the truly frustrating part is they all seem to be obvious easy fixes. And Cal seems to be the only person on the planet that doesn't see it. Yes, he gets talent. Yes, he produces millionares. Yes, he raises money for disaster relief and othe charitable things. But, the man is fundamentally flawed as an in-game basketball coach. Period. He is paid handsomely to win meaningful games and bring home titles for the UNiversity of Kentucky. He has the advantage of superior talent, and has not lived up to his end of the $9M deal.
He’s universally hated by the referees to boot. Impossible to overcome his in-game coaching PLUS playing 5 on 8. The players have to play a perfect game for us to win on a big stage and that only happens every now and then.

Last edited:
Thats why these next two years are paramount. If he didnt have the talent this yr and next I think the axe would be justified but he does.
Secondly, what if he gets UK to another FF this year or next and wins it all?
He would “buy” himself another five years.
Also, with NIL and the Transfer Portal this gives UK and Cal a tremendous advantage over most programs.

Last edited:
Thats why these next two years are paramount. If he didnt have the talent this yr and next I think the axe would be justified but he does.
Secondly, what if he gets UK to another FF this year or next and wins it all?
He would “buy” himself another five years.
Also with NIL and the Transfer Portal this gives UK and Cal a tremendous advantage over most programs.
What if the next two years are like the last few years? He can't recover from that.

I love Oscar I really do but if you’re out there asking him to play the four in todays game he’s going to be in serious trouble.
I don’t think so. I actually think it would be innovative and dictate some serious matchup problems for our opponents something cal does not do. Especially with ugonna and Oscar together. No one would get inside, there would be no driving the ball against that defense. Oscar has shown he can play facing the goal. I at least want to see it given a significant chance. 2 bigs and a 6’8” swing man worked pretty well in 2015. I know that was 7-8 years ago but it may be time to bring it back.

I don’t think so. I actually think it would be innovative and dictate some serious matchup problems for our opponents something cal does not do. Especially with ugonna and Oscar together. No one would get inside, there would be no driving the ball against that defense. Oscar has shown he can play facing the goal. I at least want to see it given a significant chance. 2 bigs and a 6’8” swing man worked pretty well in 2015. I know that was 7-8 years ago but it may be time to bring it back.

Oscar just doesn’t have the lateral quickness to guard 4’s in the modern game even at the college level.

Love him but that’s the reason his potential in the NBA will be limited.

Bottom line is this; Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Kansas are regarded as royalty in college basketball. The other 3 have won titles is recent years. Hell Carolina has 3, Duke has 2 and Kansas 1 Kentucky 1 in last 20 years. It’s time for a title. It’s past time. I’m not saying fire the guy, that would never happen anyways.

I said this myself. 22-23 has to be E8 or better (I think I actually said FF given this balanced team of 5-star freshmen and experience). If not, I will be squarely on the "get the hell out of here" train.

If he pulls it off, then flops with that monster class he has next year, I'll again be on the train.

But this prediction sounds more like Calipari will simply call it quits himself after 23'-24' season regardless of outcome. Either way, all myself and other Cat fans care about is that he set aside his obsession with "changing families' lives" and focus on improving perception with the fans (e.g., win games & titles focus by putting in the BEST lineup and coaching to WIN the game, not showcase a player's potential for the NBA).

He is done after next year regardless. I'd be shocked otherwise. He has a team that could win it this year and next likely.

He will turn 65 in middle of '24 season.

His contract clause kicks in at end of '24 season.

He would end with what in his mind is an ideal class.

All reasons that point to his retirement regardless of outcome. I've been saying this for 2 years at least.
What do you mean when you write, "His contract clause kicks in at end of '24 season." ???

What do you mean when you write, "His contract clause kicks in at end of '24 season." ???

$1m per year if he walks away.

"In the summer of 2019 Calipari signed a highly publicized “lifetime contract” with Kentucky. The extension is worth $9 million annually from 2025-29. However, beginning in 2024-25 he can step down to become a “special assistant to the athletic director/university representative” that pays $950,000 annually." - Jul 12, 2022

Oscar just doesn’t have the lateral quickness to guard 4’s in the modern game even at the college level.

Love him but that’s the reason his potential in the NBA will be limited.
Probably not but gotta give it a shot bc those two on the floor would be one of the most dominant front courts in recent history. Define their roles and Oscar eat glass.

$1m per year if he walks away.

"In the summer of 2019 Calipari signed a highly publicized “lifetime contract” with Kentucky. The extension is worth $9 million annually from 2025-29. However, beginning in 2024-25 he can step down to become a “special assistant to the athletic director/university representative” that pays $950,000 annually." - Jul 12, 2022
When cal is no longer the coach I don’t want him around the program. Joe B didn’t have Cals ego so it worked. Cal will be too involved. I also don’t think cal will be ready to retire in two years. I think a nice way for him to end his career is in some nba front office. Not the role Barney created for him.

Reactions: EliteBlue
If history repeats itself. There will be times this season that we look like the best team in the country. And then by the time that March rolls around, Calipari will have his players playing so tight that their confidence will be shot & we will have that NCAA tournament game like we do pretty much every year were we go 8 for 19 at the foul line & lose a 1 or 2 point game in the round of 32 or the Sweet 16. I expect nothing better as long as Calipari is here.
Since 2015 we’ve beaten exactly ONE team from a Power5 conference in the NCAA tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT