ADVERTISEMENT

Cal ... stop playing favorites, it is why a lot of us can't stand you.

Dreklie

Junior
Oct 6, 2014
Nicholasville
Literally NO EXCUSE to have Edwards and Wagner on the floor for 30 minutes each in that game and only play Shepp and Dilly 16 minutes each. They were CLEARLY giving us way more than Wag / Edwards.

Stop. Just use your gd head for once.

Shepp starts cookin he takes him out

Dilly starts cookin he takes him out

Does anyone else think Cal secretly hates UK and is just trolling us?

Literally NO EXCUSE to have Edwards and Wagner on the floor for 30 minutes each in that game and only play Shepp and Dilly 16 minutes each. They were CLEARLY giving us way more than Wag / Edwards.

Cal doesn't promise anything with words. But he promises a ton with actions. Just ask Wagner, Boston, Whitney, Hagans, Askew, Livingston, Green, Montgomery, and others who started and/or played way longer than they should have.

KPTBNgn.jpg

No one thinks that except the pseudo fans.

I presume you know in detail the conditioning levels of these players. From what I could tell, we were gassed. EVERYBODY was worn out. Hence shots stopped falling. All the symptoms were there. I know that was by far the toughest game any of them played in their lives, with the possible exception of Reed. We were severely outmanned on the front line. You go wrestle a guy 30 - 50 pounds heavier for 40 minutes. Or defend a guy more experienced than you that needs only toss the ball over your head to kick your ass.

We damn near won without a front line, This was the most mature freshman group we have seen in years. It appalls me that they are met with scorn and ridicule by a bitter and disgruntled segment of our fan base. We saw something the team can build on. And some of you can just sling crap.

I presume you know in detail the conditioning levels of these players. From what I could tell, we were gassed. EVERYBODY was worn out. Hence shots stopped falling. All the symptoms were there. I know that was by far the toughest game any of them played in their lives, with the possible exception of Reed. We were severely outmanned on the front line. You go wrestle a guy 30 - 50 pounds heavier for 40 minutes. Or defend a guy more experienced than you that needs only toss the ball over your head to kick your ass.

We damn near won without a front line, This was the most mature freshman group we have seen in years. It appalls me that they are met with scorn and ridicule by a bitter and disgruntled segment of our fan base. We saw something the team can build on. And some of you can just sling crap.
I'm clapping for your effort, sir. Two full paragraphs. I'm proud of you, Bassy. By this time next year, you're going to be able to put a full essay together and title it I'm a Super Fan and You're Just a Pseudo Fan,

kurt-cobain-nirvana.gif

Won’t argue the fatigue but op is correct dilly insanely hot let him play with two fouls, takes out loses his mojo never gets it back same exact thing with sheppard.

ZERO reasons for Reeves & Wagner's minutes nor for the amount of shots they took! 8-37!

Last edited:
If he's still playing these guys in a month or two, sure. But DJ and Edwards ARE our top recruits so I can't fault Cal and staff too much for trying to get them going in the 3rd game, and 1st real test of the year.

If we want these guys to be our offense, we have to play them.

I'm clapping for your effort, sir. Two full paragraphs. I'm proud of you, Bassy. By this time next year, you're going to be able to put a full essay together and title it I'm a Super Fan and You're Just a Pseudo Fan,

kurt-cobain-nirvana.gif
Toilet paper bill for some of you guys much be phenomenal, given all the slinging going on. Maybe could get some custom rolls, labled "Sling only at the big blue".

If he's still playing these guys in a month or two, sure. But DJ and Edwards ARE our top recruits so I can't fault Cal and staff too much for trying to get them going in the 3rd game, and 1st real test of the year.

You have to play them in the third game when they're both playing like trash and two other guys are obviously outperforming them?

Cal could have easily sat them in the second half and gone with his more consistent players, and then come back and built Wagner and Edwards up over the course of the next few months.

UK would have probably had the win last night and the message would have been more clear: if you don't perform, we're going with the guys who do.

After all, isn't that Cal's message each year? "Next man up", and all that rhetoric?

Won’t argue the fatigue but op is correct dilly insanely hot let him play with two fouls, takes out loses his mojo never gets it back same exact thing with sheppard.
That's been a debate for as long as I remember. Take them out versus roll the dice. The conventional wisdom is pull in the first half after two. You have to remember, coaches are not fans. Fans will often say, he's hot, he's hot, let him shoot.... Coach is thinking, I need that defense later. I need that passing later. I need those minutes at the end. I need that leadership, etc. You just can't look at shooting and scoring and win games. The Kansas game is a good example. We scored plenty of points. The issue was defense, particularly on the front line. Looking just at shooting and who is h ot will lead you down the wrong path almost 100% of the time. Its equivalent to a day trader buying based on yesterday's hot stock. Sure fire way to lose your shirt.

I think fatigue played bigger of a role than people are willing to admit. Cal did says guys were subbing themselves out to get a breather. It was the first high intensity game for the freshmen. When Cal took Dilly out after his big run in the first half it was 100% a rest thing. You can't wait until guys are absolutely gassed to take them out or they'll have zero legs by the end of the game. You have to manage fatigue throughout the game, and if guys say they need to come out there's not much you can do. As the freshmen improve their conditioning this won't be an issue.

55780-E78-96-A6-4-B0-A-8-CE3-A50-F1-FA30594.jpg

You are right but his top priority is getting certain players drafted as high as possible so the next year he can get more five stars. I was hoping he had changed this year but the Kansas game showed he hadn't. Getting 5 stars every year is big for job security. Sitting them some could start hurting his ability to continue getting top classes. The reason a lot of them come here is getting prepped to be drafted high after one year. And with the way Cal coaches it would be disastrous for him so stop getting the top players every year.

This process frustrates me because the team and program is not the top priority. And some of the players that aren't 5 stars are forced to take a back seat to these few even if they are better players. Not fair to those players, the team or the program. Wish there was some way to have Cal be the recruiter and someone else be the unbiased coach.

This guy right here can see a vision. Thank you brother for a voice of reason.

Why play favorites? Because of "promises made, promises kept". It is more important to Cal to win the recruiting battle than the game battle.

In the most righteously way to judge Cal I think he’s a great human in soall HEll with it he’s a scumbag!

That's been a debate for as long as I remember. Take them out versus roll the dice. The conventional wisdom is pull in the first half after two. You have to remember, coaches are not fans. Fans will often say, he's hot, he's hot, let him shoot.... Coach is thinking, I need that defense later. I need that passing later. I need those minutes at the end. I need that leadership, etc. You just can't look at shooting and scoring and win games. The Kansas game is a good example. We scored plenty of points. The issue was defense, particularly on the front line. Looking just at shooting and who is h ot will lead you down the wrong path almost 100% of the time. Its equivalent to a day trader buying based on yesterday's hot stock. Sure fire way to lose your shirt.
We can agree to disagree no biggie.
I do want to ask you is it a fair assessment to say that Cal is a very very poor bench coach and especially poor when the game is say 5 minutes to go or less?I say he is one of the worst I’ve seen, especially for a guy that comes across as flat brilliant strategist.

Thought basketball was a team game. Most guys know when they are off and should look to get others shots, not keep throwing up bricks.

I do want to ask you is it a fair assessment to say that Cal is a very very poor bench coach and especially poor when the game is say 5 minutes to go or less?I say he is one of the worst I’ve seen, especially for a guy that comes across as flat brilliant strategist.
You will never get the ccc lovers to admit that.
But he is without a doubt one of the worst bench coaches anywhere.
There are high school coaches that are better at designing and implementing plays when a score is needed. 9 million a year for a double talking used car salesman

The sit with 2 fouls in the first half mitts makes zero sense for guys who come off the bench. Especially those who only get 16 minutes of total run. It’s just inept coaching.
Especially if your a shooter, everyone knows really good shooters are rhythm shooters and when your in rhythm like dilly and Reed were in leave them in, rarely do you keep that rhythm for an entire game, we saw that with both.

Very very poor? Well, that’s ridiculous. Is he the guy I’d hand pick in the last five minutes? No. Of the KY coaches, Rupp, Smith and Hall were all better. Tom Izzo is better in that circumstance. Some others I could name. Very very poor is just hyperbolic drama unfit for anyone that follows the sport.

Last few years, we have had some extremely unskilled teams. Talented but raw and poor basketball team skills. Also a lot of hero mind sets determined that they had to save their boys because that’s all they knew from High School or, god forbid, the AAU. This will screw up even the best 5 minute strategy. Add that to obvious fatigue at the end of the Kansas game, you get beat.

In the midst of all the mutilation of KY basketball at the hands of its fans, remember we were in that game, controlled that game till we ran out of gas. Moral victory? Dont even know what that is. An insightful look into the potential of this team? Oh hell yeah.

Reactions: NociHTTP
You are totally wrong.
This game was vital to uk keeping the all times win lead.
But I guess that doesn't matter to you or ccc
Well, my sanity and emotional well being isn’t dependent on children bouncing a ball if that’s what you mean. Did I see a hopeless team that deserves the wailing morass of drama filled mob? No. I saw a team capable of having a good season.

As regards the all time wins in amateur college basketball, that is over and the competition has ended. Kentucky holds that record and will never lose it because that game is no longer played. If you are talking semiprofessional college basketball, that race is just beginning.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Especially if your a shooter, everyone knows really good shooters are rhythm shooters and when your in rhythm like dilly and Reed were in leave them in, rarely do you keep that rhythm for an entire game, we saw that with both.
You are 100% correct. Rarely can a guy sit a while and come back in hot.

Very very poor? Well, that’s ridiculous. Is he the guy I’d hand pick in the last five minutes? No. Of the KY coaches, Rupp, Smith and Hall were all better. Tom Izzo is better in that circumstance. Some others I could name. Very very poor is just hyperbolic drama unfit for anyone that follows the sport.

Last few years, we have had some extremely unskilled teams. Talented but raw and poor basketball team skills. Also a lot of hero mind sets determined that they had to save their boys because that’s all they knew from High School or, god forbid, the AAU. This will screw up even the best 5 minute strategy. Add that to obvious fatigue at the end of the Kansas game, you get beat.

In the midst of all the mutilation of KY basketball at the hands of its fans, remember we were in that game, controlled that game till we ran out of gas. Moral victory? Dont even know what that is. An insightful look into the potential of this team? Oh hell yeah.
Fella you are delusional of you believe its the Fans that have mutilated Kentucky basketball.

NO big deal to win any games by some of the so called UK fans.... If you are a true fan you want to win every game.... Stop making Cal look like a genius coaching college BB... He is not that at all , I was fooled by him years ago and wanted him here for many years... I always thought he could coach, man am I wrong...Cal was a fairly good coach when he was at UMass but that was before he came to UK to just put guy's in the NBA... I have thought maybe he has a deal with the league to build up a team and have them ready for the draft in one year.... Makes since if you think about it...
I want UK to win all games in all the sports... If you just want to let Cal do this you are not a fan of UK in my eyes...

GBB

I’ve thought for many years, the Kentucky fanbase doesn’t understand Calipari at all. We’ve been blessed with really good men who live for and care about the program, but that is not what we were getting with Calipari, and most cannot, or won’t, understand it.

At this point in Calipari’s career it’s not about you, or individual players, team concepts, or success. All of you know this, to win at a high level you can’t do it with the second arm to success tied behind your back. Just abandoning one small principle will bring your chances to a dead stop.

Calipari is not here for this program. He’s using it to build a network for himself outside of college basketball. What that means, or what it will result in, I have no idea, only he does. But everything he does - everything - points to something toward his relationships. The coaches he hires, the players he recruits ( potential over need), the way he speaks, the players - all toward something other than winning big at UK.

I do think he’s surprised at how fast it’s unraveled and that’s why you see him recruiting more players that are home grown. There’s a reason suddenly he’s recruiting kids like Joey Hart, Shep, and Perry. He thinks that’s what we want. He’s buying time.

Last edited:
I’ve thought for many years, the Kentucky fanbase doesn’t understand Calipari at all. We’ve been blessed with really good men who live for and care about the program, but that is not what we were getting with Calipari, and most cannot, or won’t, understand it.

At this point in Calipari’s career it’s not about you, or individual players, team concepts, or success. All of you know this, to win at a high level you can’t do it with the second arm to success tied behind your back. Just abandoning one small principle will bring your chances to a dead stop.

Calipari is not here for this program. He’s using it to build a network for himself outside of college basketball. What that means, or what it will result in, I have no idea, only he does. But everything he does - everything - points to something toward his relationships. The coaches he hires, the players he recruits, the way he speaks - all toward something other than winning big at UK.

I do think he’s surprised at how fast it’s unraveled and that’s why you see him recruiting more players that are home grown. There’s a reason suddenly he’s recruiting kids like Joey Hart, Shep, and Perry. He thinks that’s what we want. He’s buying time.
I cannot stand Bill Self. Seems like an arrogant prick. But I know this, if you give him our roster he's starting and giving heavy minutes to Dilly, Shepherd, Thiero, and Mitchell, then rotating Reeves, Edwards, Wagner, and Burks. And he would be doing so based off of what he sees in practice and prior competition - THESE DUDES WIN YOU BASKETBALL GAMES.

It's just so frustrating to watch Cal do his thing year after year.

I cannot stand Bill Self. Seems like an arrogant prick. But I know this, if you give him our roster he's starting and giving heavy minutes to Dilly, Shepherd, Thiero, and Mitchell, then rotating Reeves, Edwards, Wagner, and Burks. And he would be doing so based off of what he sees in practice and prior competition - THESE DUDES WIN YOU BASKETBALL GAMES.

It's just so frustrating to watch Cal do his thing year after year.

Self is a fairly evil guy (by my definition), I think more so than even your typical head coach. And he’s nowhere near the best coach I’ve seen, not even close to the mold of a Pitino or Larry Brown. But he wants to win so badly he’s winning. That’s the opposite of Calipari. And it’s not because Calipari is a great man, he’s not either. Calipari is using his seat for something other than program success, and Self is using his seat for his legacy and program legacy.

Calipari wants a network for himself
Self wants a legacy in college basketball.

That’s the only reason one sits at two, and Calipari was lucky to come away with one, even given all the talent.

To me it’s clear as day if people will just open their eyes. I would take Drew, Lloyd, and quite a few coaches other than Calipari at this point. It’s time to replace and him, and it can still be a good hire in hindsight. If we continue with this charade it’s going to damage us badly unless we make a grand slam hire, and I don’t see one.

Best case scenario our team ends up so talented and balanced we can’t be beat in March. If that happens I pray Calipari retires. He goes down as our modern goat, which we need, and leaves before the damage. Hope and a prayer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT